Anonymous Attacks North Korea

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Genocidicles:
North Korea has computers advanced enough to connect to the internet?!

Not all of them. Just 30 or so.

But seriously, internet access is pretty restricted in North Korea, and it's not internet access as we know it.

WanderingFool:

Daverson:

WanderingFool:

You... do realise that North Korea has about 5 computers in the whole fucking country... I doubt many N. Korean citizens even know about this, than alone actually saw the message.

And all five of those computers are in the hands of a megalomaniac with nuclear weapons who would view this as an act of war! =p

Somehow, if North Korea decides to fire a missile because of this, Im gonna have a hard time not laughing about it, even if it does do damage somewhere. just the thought of Someone going, "these people made a mockery of us on the internet, FIRE THE MISSILE!"... hell its funny thinking about it now...

Yeah but do you really want Anon to have the bragging right of " We trolled em into firing nukes?" The amount of nerdgasm from those guys would prolly stink up the internet for months after.

Darks63:
Yeah but do you really want Anon to have the bragging right of " We trolled em into firing nukes?" The amount of nerdgasm from those guys would prolly stink up the internet for months after.

I know it's impossible from an engineering standpoint, but I just got the image in my head of Anonymous accidentally gaining the controls to an entire nuclear arsenal out of this. The confusion over what happened and what they should do with it seems like it would be hilarious, although what would happen after they figured out what they wanted to do would be decidedly not.

---

On an unrelated note, I wonder if all this means there are North Korean Anonymous members?

Darks63:

WanderingFool:

Daverson:

And all five of those computers are in the hands of a megalomaniac with nuclear weapons who would view this as an act of war! =p

Somehow, if North Korea decides to fire a missile because of this, Im gonna have a hard time not laughing about it, even if it does do damage somewhere. just the thought of Someone going, "these people made a mockery of us on the internet, FIRE THE MISSILE!"... hell its funny thinking about it now...

Somehow, if N. Korea does fire its nukes, im sure people wont give a shit about Anon or anything they do for months afterwards, maybe years if N. Korea actually hit something and kills thousands of people.

Nope. Anonymous will not receive any praise from me for this action. They are a loose cannon that simply does whatever they want, to whomever they want, for whatever reason they want. They do not speak for the people, they do not represent the people, and they do not fight for the people because they take no input from the people. They hold no consistency of values, morales, or ethics other than whatever strikes their whims. They exercise poor judgement in their actions in how they are accepting of innocents as collateral damage for their so-called crusades. They claim freedom of speech while denying to others. No, I will never see them as heroes in any way, shape, or form, and I will not cheer them in this action. They are simply muddying the waters and potentially provoking an already unstable government to rash action.

Yeah, I wouldn't really worry. Our defense systems are so airtight, they can't really touch us. Hell, we wouldn't even have to retaliate if they did. We could just sit here and watch, bemused, as they jump up and down angrily and yell at us, or send more missiles. Either one would be just as effective.

Bullshit.
Here's how it actually went down:

*On a random 4chan forum somewhere*
Anonymous Person 1: Oh guys, check it out: My buddies and I just did some amazing shit.
Anon 2: Oh it was great, we totally got into North Korea's servers and made Kim look like a pig.
Anon 3: Oh hey! We should put Mickey Mouse on his chest. Wait, let me go fix that real quick...
Anon 2: Hahaha that's funny as hell.
Random Asshole: Yeah! And we should totally claim this as an act of Anonymous and declare that we'll help free NK.
Anon 2: What? That's dumb. Who are you? That's not funny at all...
Anon 1: Dude, he's an idiot. Don't even talk to this one, he thinks he's a hardcore hacktivist or something.
Random Asshat: There, sent, I wrote up this really eloquent speech in, like, 5 minutes. We're going to save the world.
Anon 3: I'm back... had to put it on his stomach instead. What did I miss?
Anon 2: This dunce is sending messages to the press pretending to be us.
Anon 3: Again? Dammit RA, knock it off, that stopped being funny back in the 60s.
Random Ass: Viva La Resistance.
Anon 1: That's it, I'm done with /b/
Anon 1: This place sucks.

---

I really wish you'd stop calling that random idiot "Anonymous" just because HE'S the one sending unfunny nonsense to the press.

The only people who will see this message is Kim Jong Un and the generals of North Korea. This government has been active long enough that there are only a few people in the country who don't believe that the entire world has it worse than they do, because that's what they've been told. There are no revolutionaries in North Korea, only corpses.

This is fruitless, no one will see it and even if they did they wouldn't act on it.

Bobic:

AC10:
Even if most North Koreans have computers or internet access (not sure)... why would you make the message in English?
I very much doubt they teach a lot of English in NK.

That was my thought as well, kinda makes it seem more like Anonymous are showing off to Americans rather than actually trying to accomplish anything. Ho-Hum.

Also, calling USA government oppressive might be fine in normal political shouting matches, but doing it in the same sentence as the North Korean Government. Kinda baffling, like talking about the danger of a shotgun in a debate on nukes.

well shotguns do have a bit of a kick, and if someone were to get hit completely by the blast I think- wait what were we talking about?

OT: Oh don't mind me, I'm just collecting bottle caps and baked beans. What? No I'm not gonna share.

but seriously I don't think this will really go anywhere. Just a feelin'.

Eh I think everyone doesn't realize(or atleast a large portion) it says claims. i.e some dude, who refused to give a name said without evidence that he hacked North Korea with a photoshopped picture. I can claim I found a cure for cancer, but not actually show evidence. At any rate, if they/he(coulda been a single dude) did it, then good for him. I doubt North Korea will do something. Maybe use it for propaganda, but that would mean they would have to tell their citizens that the internet exists, and they've been lied to for a long ass time.

Also people saying we should just whipe out North Korea, imagine nuking your own town to get rid of a corrupted mayor. Sure, the mayor is gone, but so are all your friends and family, and the near by towns are probably going to be pissed that the fallout will go into their food supply, and exploding cancer rate.

Check your privileges, Anon. Your privileged to even "have" computers and an access to the world wide web compared to North Korea, which probably has like 10 in it's entire country. Most of the people you claimed to speak out for won't even see the message, except for that part where you talked about the U.S.A.

Also, doesn't anyone remember how terrible the rockets are in North Korea? Even if they had a nuke they'd be more likely to drop it on themselves than Japan or South Korea, let alone the U.S. So please don't provoke them Anon, they'll just hurt themselves.

If they try anything completely crazy, it would mean the downfall of their government at the hands of pretty much every ally of South Korea. Hell, maybe China would even throw their hat into the ring. It would be a pretty messy war though. Yeah, Pyongyang would probably belong to coalition forces in about a week or two, but then they'd probably be fighting with a civilian population indoctrinated for decades with the idea that pretty much the entire rest of the world wants to destroy them. It just sounds like alot of blood would be shed in a quagmire that would make Iraq look easy.

I think it'll be pretty funny if Anonymous becomes super big in the future and all of us look at each other remembering all the shenanigans they were up to in the early days.

I don't know about you guys, but their targets seem to be getting bigger and bigger.

Why does this situation remind me of this video? :)

Way to go, Anonymous. It's not like this is a sensitive situation or anything...

geizr:
Nope. Anonymous will not receive any praise from me for this action. They are a loose cannon that simply does whatever they want, to whomever they want, for whatever reason they want. They do not speak for the people, they do not represent the people, and they do not fight for the people because they take no input from the people. They hold no consistency of values, morales, or ethics other than whatever strikes their whims. They exercise poor judgement in their actions in how they are accepting of innocents as collateral damage for their so-called crusades. They claim freedom of speech while denying to others. No, I will never see them as heroes in any way, shape, or form, and I will not cheer them in this action. They are simply muddying the waters and potentially provoking an already unstable government to rash action.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Bit late for April Fools jokes, isn't it?

Mumorpuger:
I'm baffled as to why we're just sitting around waiting for them to throw the first punch.

Well what do you propose?

Anything short of full scale nuclear strike on North Korea will just result in them launching their nukes and killing millions of people. Even if the US could intercept all their missiles I doubt the US is in any hurry to charge into North Korea especially since this would most likely drag China into it.

Zetatrain:

Mumorpuger:
I'm baffled as to why we're just sitting around waiting for them to throw the first punch.

Anything short of full scale nuclear strike on North Korea will just result in them launching their nukes and killing millions of people. Even if the US could intercept all their missiles I doubt the US is in any hurry to charge into North Korea especially since this would most likely drag China into it.

China wouldnt give two shits. They know what side of their bread is buttered and they are not going to send their economy into a downward spiral just to help a little isolationist nation that isnt even one of their official allies.

North Korea has no official allies, they just have 'strong ties' with China, and formerly Russia

Mumorpuger:

Cause they won't.

The moment they even look like they are going to legitimately fire nukes or invade South Korea their allies will revoke their support. North Korea won't do anything militaristic without the support of their larger allies. They simply don't have the resources to sustain any military action without it.
While it is true that they could hold Japan, Guam, or South Korea hostage with threats of military or nuclear assault the reaction against them would probably consist of most of the major world powers. Even withholding nuclear arms the combined retaliation strike would absolutely cripple the country if not destroying it outright.

Desert Punk:

Zetatrain:

Mumorpuger:

China wouldnt give two shits. They know what side of their bread is buttered and they are not going to send their economy into a downward spiral just to help a little isolationist nation that isnt even one of their official allies.

North Korea has no official allies, they just have 'strong ties' with China, and formerly Russia

Actually, I'm pretty sure China doesn't want to see NK collapse because it would lead to a massive influx of refugees, something China definitely doesn't want happening given their already massive population. I'm highly doubt China would wage full scale war, but it think an invasion of NK by the US would cause the two to butt heads in a way that goes beyond political rhetoric.

Even if we eliminate China from the equation I doubt the US or any other country wants to deal with the aftermath of a second(or third if you want to get technical)Korean War.

Zetatrain:

Desert Punk:

Zetatrain:

Actually, I'm pretty sure China doesn't want to see NK collapse because it would a massive influx of refugees, something China definitely doesn't want happening given their already massive population. I'm highly doubt China would wage full scale war, but it think an invasion of NK by the US would cause the two to butt heads in a way that goes beyond political rhetoric.

Even if we eliminate China from the equation I doubt the US or any other country wants to deal with the aftermath of a second(or third if you want to get technical)Korean War.

Well, south Korea would be happy to pick up the pieces in the aftermath, they really want their northern brothers and sisters to have a good quality of life that isnt controlled by crackpot dictators.

Oh we're off to troll the wizard, the wonderful wizard of N.Korea. Because, because, because! All of the horrible things he does!

Desert Punk:

Zetatrain:

Desert Punk:

Actually, I'm pretty sure China doesn't want to see NK collapse because it would a massive influx of refugees, something China definitely doesn't want happening given their already massive population. I'm highly doubt China would wage full scale war, but it think an invasion of NK by the US would cause the two to butt heads in a way that goes beyond political rhetoric.

Well, south Korea would be happy to pick up the pieces in the aftermath, they really want their northern brothers and sisters to have a good quality of life that isn't controlled by crackpot dictators.

Ah, that is true, can't believe I didn't think of that. However, another thing to consider is that generally speaking preemptive strikes are frowned upon within the international community. Plus lets not forget that even if NK doesn't have a way to deliver/launch its nukes they can still set them off. It would basically be COD 4 in NK.

Zetatrain:

Ah, that is true, can't believe I didn't think of that. However, another thing to consider is that generally speaking preemptive strikes are frowned upon within the international community.

Oh I know, especially with the bad press and current public feelings toward a war at the moment, it would be political suicide to make a preemptive strike, not even considering the international annoyance that would follow as well.

I was merely saying that China is smart enough to know which horse to bet on if it came to an armed conflict, North Korea offers them nothing at all to gain by supporting them, but they stand to lose everything if they support NK.

ElektroNeko:

Genocidicles:
North Korea has computers advanced enough to connect to the internet?!

Even better question: They can be accessed from outside of North Korea?

actually they even have office of national statistics website.
Sure it takes 5 minutes to loadn and the data is so inconsistent that its pointless for anything but a joke, but they have a official website.

It's all fun and games until someone gets killed. Which, in this case, is likely to be some poor North Korean citizens who had nothing at all to do with this.

How can people have a low or high opinion of Anonymous? Any prick with some hacking skills can hack someone and claim that it was an Anonymous attack. That's what being anonymous means. It's not an organization. You don't apply for a membership. You just do stuff and claim that Anonymous did it.

Entitled:
Anonymous, please, please, please don't trigger a global thermonuclear war!

Err.. global? NK might or might not be able to send a missile of to south korea and hope to hit the landmass instead of the ocean but it sure a fckn wont send them anywhere else.

Even if the whole arsenals of asia would be used it still would be a smidgen of what constitues a global thermo nuclear war.

Heck the biggest players: France, UK, pakistan, india, usa, russia, china all have absolutly ZERO interest in a war that destroys everything they build their comfortable lives on.

This is not east versus west anymore. Everyone is tied to everyone and has interests that do not go well with a nuke war.

The moment NK readys its missiles the hammer is going down on THEM because no one on earth has an interest in that fucked up place of a country.

Heck, if china starts thinking that Kim and his gang have become untractable they are going to remove him. pronto.

Meanwhile in North Korea innocent people are being blamed for this and being executed for treason or whatever name they slap op these sort of things.

Someone, somewhere, will pay for this little prank, whether it be just or not...

Yokillernick:

I'm terribly sorry but this just seems to go so well with what you just said and it also kind of explains NK's positions at the moment.

You're comparing what I said to COD?

To iterate what I said in a simplified way; Nobody wants a war. The U.S tried to invade NK during the 1950s which also NK never officially declared peace therefore they've stayed in a state of war. Like a victim of a bully, all it takes is one final straw to erupt.

I'm actually quite scared that one day I will log on to the news and find out South Korea got bombed and suffered massive civilian casualties. Please let's just hope that never happens.

north korea has an extensive cyberwarfare unit and took down some broadcasters and banks in south korea last week so dont count them out

Mumorpuger:

Lightknight:
Because of just war theory. There's nothing they can do that will make it through "Star Wars" or whatever our missle defense system in the pacific is called nowadays and once we deflect an attack we can move in with the support of pretty much everyone.

Maybe we also don't want to invade North Korea. Do they even have any oil?

Touche.

No, but they have unicorns!

Ah, then there's motivation!

WouldYouKindly:

Lightknight:
just war theory.

Do you really think the U.S. gives a single shit about that? We didn't have a problem preemptive striking the shit out of Iraq.

Also, I think there's a lot less controversy even if we attacked first. China is supposedly their ally and they've moved troops to the border, and I don't think they're going to be supporting North Korea. They are the most destabilizing influence in Asia and no one likes that. China particularly doesn't like the threats against the U.S. After all, we're essentially economically codependent.

The Iraq War was an interesting one. Some very powerful people forced that action and we lost a lot of cred in doing so. But I made two points in that post, not just "Just War Theory". The other point: "Maybe we also don't want to invade North Korea. Do they even have any oil?" is regarding the understanding that the North Korean nation doesn't really have anything we don't already have in spades. That backhanded comment I made about them not having oil was to imply that any possible second motivation (greed/longstanding rivalry/etc) isn't there either specifically like there was in Iraq. So I certainly wasn't being forgetful there.

But yes, the US does care about how the international community views us. Beating the crap out of such a weak nation for posing (and that is what they're doing, they cannot harm us as far as we can tell) would be the equivalent of international bullying without them striking or trying to strike first. This is why the US tried to claim that Iraq had all kinds of dangerous weapons so that they looked like a major threat and then once we moved in it was too late. Someone in power just really wanted to kick their ass in my opinion and that person has US blood and debt on their hands, not to mention Iraqi blood.

mad825:

Yokillernick:

I'm terribly sorry but this just seems to go so well with what you just said and it also kind of explains NK's positions at the moment.

You're comparing what I said to COD?

To iterate what I said in a simplified way; Nobody wants a war. The U.S tried to invade NK during the 1950s which also NK never officially declared peace therefore they've stayed in a state of war. Like a victim of a bully, all it takes is one final straw to erupt.

I'm not comparing what you said to CoD, God no! I'm just pointing out that part of what you said is dead similar to the video that's all.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here