Just Cause Dev: Losing AAA Might Not Be All That Bad

Pages PREV 1 2

Zachary Amaranth:

That seems like a great thing that could be done without the ridiculous graphics card portion. I'd gladly write a check to these people for the price of a graphics card to get the same results.

Sure; but you and how many other people? Private industry drives science in a way that donations wont, and that government is remiss to do because it might mean a few less cruise missiles. Of course it could be done without a gaming industry constantly pushing newer and better graphics; but it won't be. Nvidia alone makes over 4 billion dollars yearly. That's not the kind of revenue that you can pull in from donations.

And even if we could donate that kind of money, it's still going to jack up costs of research because of basic supply and demand economics. The high demand of the computing industry has led to a large number of factories producing this stuff. You drive demand down, and they can't make as much, they can't sell it as cheaply, they can't make them as efficiently.

Also personally I like the advances in rendering and computing technology. Not because I need everything to look super beautiful, but because I really want Mount and Blade to start having battles with 10,000 fully rendered units present and accounted for. Also an even more advanced SS13 would be nice. Just because most of that power is being wasted on most games doesn't mean it can't tangibly improve the gaming industry in the right hands.

Mycroft Holmes:

Sure; but you and how many other people? Private industry drives science in a way that donations wont, and that government is remiss to do because it might mean a few less cruise missiles. Of course it could be done without a gaming industry constantly pushing newer and better graphics; but it won't be. Nvidia alone makes over 4 billion dollars yearly. That's not the kind of revenue that you can pull in from donations.

And even if we could donate that kind of money, it's still going to jack up costs of research because of basic supply and demand economics. The high demand of the computing industry has led to a large number of factories producing this stuff. You drive demand down, and they can't make as much, they can't sell it as cheaply, they can't make them as efficiently.

Also personally I like the advances in rendering and computing technology. Not because I need everything to look super beautiful, but because I really want Mount and Blade to start having battles with 10,000 fully rendered units present and accounted for. Also an even more advanced SS13 would be nice. Just because most of that power is being wasted on most games doesn't mean it can't tangibly improve the gaming industry in the right hands.

That was a long way to go to make excuses for what is still relatively unnecessary.

Zachary Amaranth:

That was a long way to go to make excuses for what is still relatively unnecessary.

Video games are unnecessary. Most everything but sex, food, and oxygen are unnecessary. It's not the necessary that concerns most people in the first world these days, and I would say this is as good a thing as any of the others if not better all things considered.

I don't make excuses, I merely take all the facts into account. I would love a world of sunshine where people shared and cared for each other, and worked towards the general good. But that's not the world we live in, not yet anyways. And the fact of the matter is that the great graphics race has done more good for the world than most everything else you could name.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here