Microsoft Exec on Always Online Consoles: "Deal With it"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Microsoft Exec on Always Online Consoles: "Deal With it"

Adam Orth doesn't get the "drama" surrounding "always online" consoles.

There are rumors that the successor to the 360 will require a constant internet connection (though, to be fair, there are also rumors that it will be hewed from the bones of children and powered by tears, so I'd take them with a grain of salt for now). Considering we have a rather recent example of how horribly wrong an always online launch can go, you'd imagine Microsoft would be doing its best to distance itself from said rumors. It isn't.

Adam Orth, creative director at Microsoft Studios, has been doing some thinking about the concept of an always on console. His conclusion? He doesn't get "the drama."

"Sorry, I don't get the drama around having an "always on" console," he tweeted earlier today. "Every device now is "always on". That's the world we live in. #dealwithit"

"I want every device to be "always on," he added.

Now, this is Orth's private Twitter account and he quite obviously isn't speaking for Microsoft in any official capacity, but his combative tone and disregard for seemingly valid concerns doesn't seem to be winning him, or the company he works for, any fans.

"Sometimes the electricity goes out. I will not purchase a vacuum cleaner," he commented, apparently in response to those who pointed out that their internet connection could be inconsistent.

He went on to double down on that questionable analogy:

"The mobile phone reception in the area I live in is spotty and unreliable. I will not buy a mobile phone," he added.

Orth's Twitter account has since been made private.

Source: NeoGAF

Wow. Nice and douchy way to alienate the fans, Microsoft.

Customers who don't like what you're selling won't buy it. #dealwithit.

I have a feeling most comments on this article are going to be directed toward Microsoft because of the title... instead of the Exec himself.

There's a difference between an exec like that saying it (who probably doesnt play video games), and the corporation saying it.

"Meanwhile... at Microsoft's PR department."

Wow, what a douchenozzle. If I wasn't already dead set against getting the next Xbox this would definitely clinch it. It does make me wonder though... if this guy is so defensive about this subject, the rumors of the new console always being online may actually be true.

Tank207:

Wow, what a douchenozzle. If I wasn't already dead set against getting the next Xbox this would definitely clinch it. It does make me wonder though... if this guy is so defensive about this subject, the rumors of the new console always being online may actually be true.

Any bets on how long before he gets his ass fired?

Is there some law that if you're a high up in a gaming company under criticism you have to act like an ass to potential customers? This wouldn't even be a thing if he was defending always online professionally. Turning it into an argument a 13 year old would have just makes you want to smack him across the face. "WE NEED MOAR CUSTOMERS! LET'S START INSULTING THEM THAT'LL WORK!"

Desert Punk:

He won't. Who do you think came up with the idea to make it always online?

Ok....I'll deal with it. I've decided not to buy the next version of the Xbox.

Dealt with.

(I hope this isn't too low content, I'm awfully new at this)

Desert Punk:

Tank207:

I'm not going to be making any bets just yet, but I am curious if he himself made his account private to avoid the heat coming his way... or if he was ordered to my Microsoft.

captcha: lardy-dardy... for some reason this feels relevant to the topic at hand, but I can't think of why.

any more outbursts like that and we can ride microsoft's stock price all the way down space mountain

Starke:

Desert Punk:

When it comes to Microsoft, there is always a bigger fish.

And with how small their gaming sector is, I can promise you he really doesnt want to piss off one of those bigger fish. And running his mouth like a brain dead chimp will do exactly that.

Desert Punk:

Starke:

Desert Punk:

And with how small their gaming sector is, I can promise you he really doesnt want to piss off one of those bigger fish. And running his mouth like a brain dead chimp will do exactly that.

The other side of that is, he's not likely to actually piss them off with something like this. Bigger fish, bigger concerns. Now, if the console dies on the shelf because of the connection requirement, or gets marked as unfit for sale in Europe because of it... then he might be looking for a new job.

Go ahead then. Make your always on DRM consoles. And when it flops, losing microsoft bajillions, we'll say "deal with it"
The only way I can see an always on console doing really well financially, is if there was no choice in the matter, if it was "buy always on, or no games for you". But that's not the case. We now know that the PS4 will NOT require always on. So now, releasing an always on consoles, when they're a similarly powerful console with an all but identical library that doesn't require DRM, well... go ahead microsoft. I'll do the happy dance on your console's grave >:)

Well I suppose Microsoft can "deal with it" when the NextBox tanks.

Sometimes, I miss the middle ages.

You guys knew how to light an asshole on fire back then.

he doesn't 'get' the problem, fine, he 100% will not get my money. the more i hear about these consoles, the more tempted i am to stay as a PC gamer. i enjoyed my ps3, but nothing about the next gen seems appealing to me.

He doesn't "get" it.
Guess he doesn't "get" my money either.

thethird0611:
I have a feeling most comments on this article are going to be directed toward Microsoft because of the title... instead of the Exec himself.

There's a difference between an exec like that saying it (who probably doesnt play video games), and the corporation saying it.

No, there isn't, not really. People in high corporate positions making public statements directly related to the line of business their company is involved in will always be interpreted as making semi-official statements in the company's name. This is a reality of their work and they should be aware of this and refrain from making such statements to avoid it reflecting badly on the company in question.

You might say that while this is true, it's still not fair, but it is fair. Who do you think makes corporate policy? The execs. So when an exec makes a statement regarding the business practices of his company, even if it's a personal statement, it still reflects his own standpoint and views, which in turn shape the overall corporate policy. A douche doesn't suddenly stop being a douche when he goes to work.

Starke:

Desert Punk:

Starke:

The other side of that is, he's not likely to actually piss them off with something like this. Bigger fish, bigger concerns. Now, if the console dies on the shelf because of the connection requirement, or gets marked as unfit for sale in Europe because of it... then he might be looking for a new job.

Ah but you see, this doesnt effect only their gaming department like the only online thing would.

This is a microsoft exec running his mouth and being a douchebag to the public, people wont really care what part of microsoft he belongs to, he is microsoft and thats all they will care about, and that can create a signifiganr PR stink that someone has to deal with.

Front page on Reddit and all over the big news sites now. HUGE PR disaster for MS.

Oh, and there's also the meme!

Grey Carter:

There are rumors that the successor to the 360 will require a constant internet connection (though, to be fair, there are also rumors that it will be hewed from the bones of children and powered by tears, so I'd take them with a grain of salt for now).

And then there are some developers who are coming right out and saying that its always online

Given that legally I cannot confirm or deny if this information is true, nor can I comment on rumor or speculation, all I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills.

http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2200505&postcount=46

And the mans credentials

http://www.xboxlivescore.com/profile/Mr-Lake

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/s...operId,126367/

This guy.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nickmohilchock

Working here :
http://www.theworkshop.us.com/about.php

From your source.

"Why on earth would I live there"
Try a posh accent on that sentence :P

Alleged_Alec:
Wow. Nice and douchy way to alienate the fans, Microsoft.

One man represents an entire company. Not even a spokesman at that.

Edit: I couldn't help but jump in with my own Always On Adam Orth meme picture.

See, we did this all to ourselves. We're treating royalty like little bitches, so how are we supposed to expect to be treated any differently by people who's motto is "the customer is always king"

Lost job after publicly demonstrating contempt for employer's customers? #DealWithIt

That is what should happen in cases like this. When you publicly denigrate the customers of the company that employs you, no matter how small or large the percentage of them, you should lose your job. Why should the company continue to employ someone who has done something which could very likely reduce sales of the company's hot new product?

"I produce a product. I will narrow my audience and alienate potential customers for no goddamn reason."

God, this is beyond foolish. How do rise to that level in a company with that kind of incompetence? Also, that vacuam analogy doesn't work for several reasons:
a)Very few people care about brand recognition with vacuums. There are exactly three consoles coming out next-gen, and distinction is very important.
b)You are producing a luxury item. People don't mind bullshit when using a vacuum cleaner because they didn't buy it to feel luxurious. A luxury item needs to feel convenient.
c)If the power goes out, noone is going to blame the vacuum company. People will blame you when they can't use the product they paid for, and they won't be able to use the product they paid for at all times.
And, my personal favorite,d)There has never been a vacuum cleaner that didn't require being plugged in. Video game consoles? Never needed an internet connection before, and they don't really need one know. This is like building a remote control that requires an electrical connection; fine, you never have to change the batteries, but you've kind of defeated the purpose.

What an asshole.
Microsoft already had an uphill battle with me because I had to replace two 360s after the warranties expired and two at the start because red ring but an always online requirement would make it easy for me.

Jandau:

thethird0611:

No, there isn't, not really. People in high corporate positions making public statements directly related to the line of business their company is involved in will always be interpreted as making semi-official statements in the company's name. This is a reality of their work and they should be aware of this and refrain from making such statements to avoid it reflecting badly on the company in question.

You might say that while this is true, it's still not fair, but it is fair. Who do you think makes corporate policy? The execs. So when an exec makes a statement regarding the business practices of his company, even if it's a personal statement, it still reflects his own standpoint and views, which in turn shape the overall corporate policy. A douche doesn't suddenly stop being a douche when he goes to work.

I have to highly disagree with you, because people making personal statements are not official statements. Let me give you an example of how this statement could be a very personal statement.

Researcher- Executive Board, we are going to lose sales if we make the console always online.
Execs - Our stockholders see it as needed, can we make it work.
Researcher - Sorry sir, we will make less money in the long run.
Exec- Fine, cut it out.
Exec on his personal twitter - I dont get why yall are so dramatic about it.

Its about intention. If you cant take a personal opinion (which he clearly shows its personal, from his replys, which if it was really about the company, he would of said something more professional), then you need to step back and think.

An unprofessional exec is an unprofessional exec. An unprofessional exec does not speak for his company on his personal twitter account, unless he states it.

There is only one thing that is always online, and that is my PC. nothing else is connected to the internet.

That being said, i find it hilariuos that when people scream about PR bullshit and thne get a straight dela with it answer they scream even louder. i applaud him on having balls to just go out and said deal with it, like as if noone else know this is their stance anyway.
World is going online, like it or not, and you are going to have to get plugged in or go live in a cave. deal with it.

c)If the power goes out, noone is going to blame the vacuum company. People will blame you when they can't use the product they paid for, and they won't be able to use the product they paid for at all times.

if electricity goes out, you dont clame the cacuum creator, but if YOUR INTERNET goes out, you blame microsoft? double standarts FTW?

d)There has never been a vacuum cleaner that didn't require being plugged in.

yes there was, it was called a broom.

Valid concerns are "drama"?
Seems like a good person to fire for damaging your company reputation.

And please, don't give him the excuse of "it's his private Twitter account".
In the always on world he so loves there's not much privacy left.
If he wanted to keep it low profile he'd best taken it offline, and he knows it.

As for the little discussion posted by the OP: Does he not understand logic or is he accidentally wearing his Trolling +20, Listening -15 shirt?

Sony CEO Kaz Hirai, what do you have to say about this?

Hello?

You ther-

(Apparently it's a parody account, but funny nonetheless)

Norrdicus:
Sony CEO Kaz Hirai, what do you have to say about this?

Hello?

You ther-

This website really needs a like button

And that picture he has...that is just so perfect for the statment he made!

Allow me to reiterate:

Seriously, this must be a conscious effort, right?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here