Microsoft Exec on Always Online Consoles: "Deal With it"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Strazdas:

Jandau:
An exec speaks for his company, period. He doesn't get to make personal statements on a public platform regarding the work he does. I'm sorry, he doesn't. And the key here is the platform. If he wants to rant to his friends over a beer, sure, go fot it. But Twitter is hardly a private setting. It's a public platform and statements made on it are treated as such. Imagine if you will (since we're making examples up and all), if Obama tweeted how he'd personally really like to nuke the fuck out of North Korea. By your reasoning, it's a personal opinion and we shouldn't think twice about it...

An unprofessional exec speaks for his company just as a professional one does.

You are wrong. simple as that. ANYONE can have private opinion on ANY platform, period. We can be stupid and react to it as an official statement, which is why most companies dont allow thier workers to do that, beucase of people who misinterpre what is official and what is not, like you. if i were to get a twitter account and say "hey i hate poland", woudl that make my organization officially racist? nope. but yet somehow you think it will.
If obama said that on hos personal twotter, i woudl treat it as a personal opinion. does not mean i must forget about it, but i wouldnt take it as an official stance of US.

Oh, I never said that he can't have an opinion or that he can't express it. I'm just saying that it will be taken as reflecting the attitudes of the company he represents.

To use your example, if you went on twitter and said "I hate Poland" - If you are a highly placed individual in an organization that distributes doughnuts in western United States, that wouldn't be a problem. Maybe Polish people wouldn't buy your doughnuts anymore. However, if the organization in question was set to handle an international arbitrage between Poland and some other country, you stating that you hate Poland and being in a position of influence in the said organization might not be the best thing for you to do, since it might raise the question of how that organization will do the work if people in charge of it have such attitudes.

Likewise, if an exec at Ford states that he doesn't see what the big deal with always-online consoles is and that people should just "deal with it", then whatever. But when an exec of a company that is responsible for one of the major consoles states it, then people will not just dismiss it and they shouldn't.

thethird0611:
I have a feeling most comments on this article are going to be directed toward Microsoft because of the title... instead of the Exec himself.

There's a difference between an exec like that saying it (who probably doesnt play video games), and the corporation saying it.

Yes, but him actually being bothered about this seems to confirm the rumours that the next xbox will be always on, and although it's not gonna stop some buying it, I'm betting a large chunk of players won't, and will jump ship to the PS4.

In short, whether or not his (may I say, completely fucking stupid opinion, my power goes out maybe twice a year if I'm unlucky, the internet simply isn't as stable) opinion reflects microsoft's real plans, this is really going to hurt microsoft's prospects for the next gen if they don't do some serious clear up soon, and that's forgetting how much they've already hurt their prospects by staying quiet for so long.

These "always online" rumours have become so widespread, and are so destructive to Microsoft's reputation, surely they would have squashed them by now if they weren't true?

I wonder how many countries Microsoft cuts from their potential consumer base if the next Xbox is always online?

...no. Strike that. I wonder how many countries Microsoft leaves for Sony and Nintendo if the next Xbox is always online...

I have a samsung tablet with windows 8 on it.
Despite its incessant demands to download updates and fruitless tries to phone home, that thing has no and will never get an internet connection because I only use it to run sai on it for drawing.

That doesn't stop it from being super annoying and asking constantly though because it was designed with the "everything nowadays is always online herp derp" mindset so fuck that guy.

Norrdicus:

Strazdas:
if electricity goes out, you dont clame the cacuum creator, but if YOUR INTERNET goes out, you blame microsoft? double standarts FTW?

It would be double standards iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiif the next Xbox required, due to laws of nature, to have an internet connection to work.

It doesn't. Internet connection is an extra requirement put there to protect profits

The correct analogy in this case is that you need an internet connection to run your vacuum cleaner.

"Mom... I couldn't do the chores because the internet was down again"

Hey wait... I may be on to something here.

More importantly... he must really hate Canadians. Our high speed is some of the most expensive in the world.

When I was away at school I liked having a console to play on even though I didn't have high speed internet in my home.

Luckily I can survive without Halo 5, Forza 5 and Gears 4 as those are the only games that you really need an Xbox for.

All I'll say is this

If my tv can't connect to the internet, I can still watch tv.
If my kindle can't connect to the internet, I can still read books.
If my phone can't connect to the internet, I can still use it to call people.
If my mp3 player can't connect to the internet, I can still listen to music.
If the nextbox can't connect to the internet... What use is it then?

Norrdicus:
Sony CEO Kaz Hirai, what do you have to say about this?

Hello?

You ther-

HAHA Sony must be feeling pretty confident about their chances for the next gen.

In the immortal words of Batman:

Aramis Night:

Norrdicus:
Sony CEO Kaz Hirai, what do you have to say about this?

Hello?

You ther-

I skiped the last console generation entirely and was likely to do the same with this coming one(PC Gamer). But after seeing this Sony CEO troll the MS exec, Im really tempted to get a PS4. This, ladies and gentlemen, is how you troll. Not be reciting some tired meme you saw on 4chan 3 yrs ago, but with the actual application of wit. And Sony CEO's profile picture was a nice touch. 10/10.

Must agree with this. I'm not planning on joining in with this particular console generation, but that guy's comment really makes me want to get a PS4. My internet connection is rather dodgy, giving out for hours and sometimes days at a time for no discernible reason, and a always-connected console just wouldn't be worth it.

whenever someone says things like this from a position of power it feels like our generations let them eat cake moment. people so disconnected from everyone else that they are baffeled by something they have never had to deal with.

"what do you mean these people cant get good connections to the internet why dont they upgrade their service provider or get a better modem?"

"well sir these people cant upgrade they have the best service that is avaliable to them"

"dear god what corner of hell do they live in everywhere has internet these days"

"again sir no only big citys have good internet connections the countryside still have very limited abilitys"

"why dont these people just move to the citys there we go problem solved"

"well thats only an option for people who can find jobs and places to live. also many jobs can only be done away from citys like farming for example"

"what you mean that growing things in the ground to get their food why dont they just get their butler to go to the supermarket to get food like the rest of us?"

"i dont think you..."

"no quiet now ive heard enough these people are just being obstinate if they wanted better in life they would do something about it, its not our fault they want to live in some stinky hovel instead of moving to the big city like normall people"

i know its a bit over the top but if they cant imagin a world without good internet connections they are acting just as selfentitled

Well at least now I wont consider getting whatever their console ends up being. My PC doesn't care if it's offline and neither do I.

I didn't support Sony this generation but if they don't try to pull this kind of bollocks on their consumers then I hope they annihilate their competition in the next.

greasedweasel:
These "always online" rumours have become so widespread, and are so destructive to Microsoft's reputation, surely they would have squashed them by now if they weren't true?

They are past rumors at this point, several developers have come out and said "Yep, always online."

Kargathia:
Customers who don't like what you're selling won't buy it. #dealwithit.

Yes they will. They'll buy it and complain anyway. Look at SimCity. #sadbuttrue

thethird0611:
I have a feeling most comments on this article are going to be directed toward Microsoft because of the title... instead of the Exec himself.

There's a difference between an exec like that saying it (who probably doesnt play video games), and the corporation saying it.

To be fair, there's so much control over these guys that it's hard not to see this kind of thing as okay with Microsoft.

On the other hand, most people probably didn't even read the thread, from the looks of things.

Sectan:
Is there some law that if you're a high up in a gaming company under criticism you have to act like an ass to potential customers?

It's not a law, it's just a suggestion.

Looks like Microsoft has taken the "Ninja Theory/Bioware" method of PR. Nice work, that surely won't blow up in your face.

You know, it's easy to talk when you don't have internet problems or just prefer not to hand over 50$ to be screamed obscenities at by 13 year old boys.

Well, guess what console I won't be getting unless they give me a free super fast internet connection without bandwidth limits that never fails. At all.

Capcha: Absolute Zero.... the answer to how much respect i have for this man

One problem with his analogy. If you want to keep your house tidy, you probably need a vacuum cleaner. If you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire and no gas, you probably need a cell phone. There is no situation ever where I will ever need a console no matter how much I want to play exclusive military dubstep zombie shooter X.

Comparing everyday necessities to an entertainment device is frivalous at best and foolish at worst.

Someone this thick is creative director? Wow. He's going to find out how unpopular his opinion is and then learn to shut up. Deal with that you selfish jerk.

Nazulu:
Someone this thick is creative director? Wow. He's going to find out how unpopular his opinion is and then learn to shut up. Deal with that you selfish jerk.

Considering this story is being picked up by...everywhere... this guy dug his own grave

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52760187&postcount=4354

And you know its bad when even the official xbox magazine starts to cover it

http://www.oxm.co.uk/51901/microsoft-creative-director-defends-always-online-consoles-trades-blows-with-bioware/

The Artificially Prolonged:
All I'll say is this

If my tv can't connect to the internet, I can still watch tv.
If my kindle can't connect to the internet, I can still read books.
If my phone can't connect to the internet, I can still use it to call people.
If my mp3 player can't connect to the internet, I can still listen to music.
If the nextbox can't connect to the internet... What use is it then?

Exactly. Except my TV isn't hooked up to cable, but....

I seriously can't believe anyone would want their device to require an internet connection to work unless that's a primary function.

I do want my console connected to the internet full-time. I don't want to be punished because it can't be.

And honestly, I won't buy any console which has always-online DRM. If Microsoft does this, then Steam is definitely the better alternative.

And this guy ain't helping the case any. It looks like he's reacting to it as though the rumour is true and we have reason to worry.

Desert Punk:

Also, I'd like to add that this is also an article from Yesterday with another Source basically saying the same thing, even offering specifics: http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-will-require-an-internet-connection-to-st-470062456 which this was apparently a reaction to.

"Unless something has changed recently," one of the sources told us over email, "Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used."

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

Calling it now. The next console war is already over, congratulations Sony. I probably shouldn't discount the idiocy of consumers but I'm sticking to this prediction.

ROFL if he gets to keep his job after saying something that stupid i will be surprised.

The sad part is this really will not affect sales of the new Xbox much. As the informed gamers among us is far less than the ignorant masses.

At the least i can cross that platform off my list.

SecondPrize:

Desert Punk:

Also, I'd like to add that this is also an article from Yesterday with another Source basically saying the same thing, even offering specifics: http://kotaku.com/the-next-xbox-will-require-an-internet-connection-to-st-470062456 which this was apparently a reaction to.

"Unless something has changed recently," one of the sources told us over email, "Durango consumer units must have an active internet connection to be used."

"If there isn't a connection, no games or apps can be started," the source continued. "If the connection is interrupted then after a period of time--currently three minutes, if I remember correctly--the game/app is suspended and the network troubleshooter started."

Calling it now. The next console war is already over, congratulations Sony. I probably shouldn't discount the idiocy of consumers but I'm sticking to this prediction.

I think you meant to quote Dexter there... I am not even sure how you managed to do that.

But I must agree, I will be chosing Sony over Microsoft this next gen thanks to this idiots antics as well as Always Online

Adam Orth you sir are a cunt. What are you? You're a cunt, yes you are. You live in a cunty cottage and you drive a cunty car.

As someone who lives in a rural area, this really bugs me. My internet connection is so patchy that I can't play multiplayer games, updates take forever and I had to hide my online status because it would bug my friends when I had to keep logging back on. An always online Xbox would be unplayable for me.

As for the analogies...
Yes, you can blame other businesses for not providing consistent power, phone or internet connection. BUT this is ignoring the reality of the situation. If I give a friend a Blu-ray and he only has a DVD player, I can't then get all annoyed that he doesn't have the right technology.
A good business wouldn't try to reduce their own potential customer base by providing something that a significant proportion can't even use. It's just perverse and I hope better minds are working on the mysterious console...

This guy has one heck of a skewed logical view. When the power goes out do you blame the vacuum company? No but when the servers go down I'm going to blame the controlling asshole who put always online DRM in the device. When my net goes down and the reason I can't play a single player game I'll blame the asshole, not my ISP. When the game I bought isn't playable because of server maintenance I'm going to blame the asshole again. When I can't sell the game I'm going to blame the asshole some more.

Seriously if you buy the new Xbox and it has this always on crap you are letting them get away with screwing you and others.

However I know fanboys and people who "Must have" their next favorite title will cave in favor of boycotting this insane act on their part.

Desert Punk:

Nazulu:

Considering this story is being picked up by...everywhere... this guy dug his own grave

http://www.oxm.co.uk/51901/microsoft-creative-director-defends-always-online-consoles-trades-blows-with-bioware/

Yeah, that looks like it's going to bite him in the ass.

Even though he's stupid I don't think he deserves that much publicity. Though, the publishers/developers should have come out awhile ago to say the rumors aren't true. What the hell are they waiting for?

...Do people just not think anymore? I mean fucking hell...

I don't even have to analyze what's wrong with that do I. Do I? We all know this is an jabbering mongoloid from the sperg planet.

I need to go lie down, people like this make me exhausted at the world.

Obligatory: "april fools was days ago!"

Well. As much as I loved the 360, I am on the fence with whether to choose the PS4 or NextBox. I am not going to get hysterical or nothing. I suggest waiting until later this month when the machine is unveiled and if we don't like it...*shrug* I'm gonna get a PS4.

What a muppet If this crap doesn't get him fired then Microsoft is truly losing the plot.
I have a somewhat pricey internet plan that is one of the best available in my country an ya know what my xbox still cuts out every now an then. none of my other devices have any problems Just my xbox, an always online console has got to be the worst idea I've ever heard. Well it would have been if I haven't already found out about windows 8.

And on a completely unrelated note - Long live Linux :P

Nazulu:

Desert Punk:

Nazulu:

Yeah, that looks like it's going to bite him in the ass.

Even though he's stupid I don't think he deserves that much publicity. Though, the publishers/developers should have come out awhile ago to say the rumors aren't true. What the hell are they waiting for?

developers have come out and said it IS true, it will require an online connection.

"Given that legally I cannot confirm or deny if this information is true, nor can I comment on rumor or speculation, all I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills ."

Info on the developer who said it:
http://www.evilavatar.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2200505&postcount=46

http://www.xboxlivescore.com/profile/Mr-Lake

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/s...operId,126367/

This guy.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nickmohilchock

Working here :
http://www.theworkshop.us.com/about.php

Look like this generation will be a ps4 for me.

Microsoft is a tremendously insular company that has found success by ignoring their customers. This is simply because they have had very little competition, and often they would buy-out and competitors that dared get too close to their territory. So, why would any company like that not have a DRM-based console?

Strazdas:

d)There has never been a vacuum cleaner that didn't require being plugged in.

yes there was, it was called a broom.

Hate to point out some inconsistencies, but...
A. A broom sweeps, a vacuum sucks, two totally different concepts (I realize vacuums have sweepers, but thats not their function as they are called vacuums for a reason.)

B. Brooms don't work well on carpet or rugs.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here