Microsoft Exec on Always Online Consoles: "Deal With it"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Well, looks like I'm going to be using the extra money to invest in a proper gaming PC, and any leftover money to buy more classic NES and SNES games for my collection.

Riobux:

Edit: I couldn't help but jump in with my own Always On Adam Orth meme picture.

I read that thing twelve times and I still don't get what the joke is on that one.

Is there someone going to be on the train line getting hit?

Or, is there just one guy always driving the train on the line and it will derail because of it?

I don't find either funny.

If not that, then you must have a very dry sense of humor, definitely not very straight forward.

Before we thrash this guy any more I'd like to show you all this:

Yes, he was an ass. No, I am still looking into this console. Now hopefully he will learn his damned lesson and we can beg for a miracle that this doesn't actually happen.

Kargathia:
Customers who don't like what you're selling won't buy it. #dealwithit.

You see people, THIS is why we need a 'like' button on the Escapist!

Sure, I'll deal with it.

I wasn't likely to get your console already. This just clinches it.

Sometimes my internet is down or I'm visiting my grandma where there is no internet. Demanding always online for single player is ridiculous.

Norrdicus:
Sony CEO Kaz Hirai, what do you have to say about this?

Hello?

You ther-

XD Nice!

If I hadn't already made up my mind this would have sealed it by it instead is just confirming my decision is right. I mean I have good internet but I don't always like to be online especially because I tend to play single player games so,keep making statements like this sony and nintendo need your money.

Terminate421:

Yes, he was an ass. No, I am still looking into this console. Now hopefully he will learn his damned lesson and we can beg for a miracle that this doesn't actually happen.

I would be willing to believe it was a joke, if:

a) Mr. Orth himself said it was a joke.
b) He didn't delete the comments until after he said it was a joke.
c) He didn't make his Twitter Account Private after these events.
d) He hadn't made uncaring comments like this before.

As it stands, I am starting to believe the rumors, and I'm thinking the Nextbox may not be something I want to play on.

Phlakes:

So one second everyone's trying to take the moral high ground against that Machinima video and less than a day later people start doing this shit over a few tweets.

What Machinima video?

Phlakes:

This is why nobody likes gamers.

Not to say people shouldn't be allowed to criticize or any of that shit, but this is a lot of words that I can't say unless I'm looking for some mod wrath.

EDIT: Also someone out there is going to say that it's "all in good fun", and they would be wrong.

EDIT2: And anyone involved in this has lost their right to complain about someone calling gamers childish. If you don't want to be called childish you shouldn't act like middle schoolers.

So.....

Making jokes = Acting like middle schoolers?

Some gamers making jokes = gamers are childish?

If there were gamers sending him death threats, harassment emails, and vandalizing his car, then yes I'd call that childish. But you'd be really willing to say that those people represent ALL gamers?

Gamers aren't childish. People are childish. Gamers are people just like everyone else.

To re-use an analogy posted someone said last year: "This male writer gropped a woman! Writers are childish!" See how ridiculous that sounds?

Mr.Mattress:

Terminate421:

I would be willing to believe it was a joke, if:

a) Mr. Orth himself said it was a joke.
b) He didn't delete the comments until after he said it was a joke.
c) He didn't make his Twitter Account Private after these events.
d) He hadn't made uncaring comments like this before.

As it stands, I am starting to believe the rumors, and I'm thinking the Nextbox may not be something I want to play on.

The reason I have been still for microsoft is one logical and quite frankly simple reason. All rumors about this console have been atrocious ones.

Until microsoft THEMSELVES show the console and what it does, then I will determine if I believe it is worth it. So, rumors, asshole comments from their staff, etc. don't fly with me when it comes to what the console is capable of. For all we know, this guy could for some reason be defending Simcity, hell, with EA saying always online DRM is bad, this guy could for some unexplained ass reason be against them.

I don't know. This guy is an asshole, and I still sit here waiting patiently for whatever microsoft actually show me.

thethird0611:
I have a feeling most comments on this article are going to be directed toward Microsoft because of the title... instead of the Exec himself.

There's a difference between an exec like that saying it (who probably doesnt play video games), and the corporation saying it.

Except you have to know, as a member of that company, that any public statement you make will be seen as a reflecting on the company. No story that mentions your comments will neglect to mention where you work. You can slap all the "my views do not reflect those of Microsoft" type disclaimers on that you want, and it doesn't matter. He's also not just some flunky from the mail room - he's a creative director. He should know better than to mouth off like this.

Adam Jensen:
The internet is decimating this guy

What a useless moron

Yes they are.

And to be fair, I don't think many people are going to argue that the guy doesn't deserve it, or at the very least couldn't see it coming.

Maybe Microsoft are trying to drve people towards PS4 and PC gaming to compensate for the damage they did to PC gaming with Games for Windows live and Visat?

Norrdicus:

Hello?

You ther-

SOMETIMES, and only sometimes. Sony makes me laugh my ass off. They may not have the best PR, but its good to know that their CEO has a sense of humour.

The worst part about this is that there will still be a lot of idiots buying that shit.

AzrealMaximillion:

Norrdicus:

Hello?

You ther-

SOMETIMES, and only sometimes. Sony makes me laugh my ass off. They may not have the best PR, but its good to know that their CEO has a sense of humour.

That's a parody account, just so that you know.

Lovely Mixture:
What Machinima video?

This one. It's not a perfect comparison since that issue was pretty focused on sexism, but there was a lot of "this reflects badly on the community" going around.

Making jokes = Acting like middle schoolers?

It's gone a little bit farther than just making jokes. Take a quick look at /v/ or r/gaming.

Some gamers making jokes = gamers are childish?

The people who are doing it, yes. That's what the "anyone involved" part was for.

If there were gamers sending him death threats, harassment emails, and vandalizing his car, then yes I'd call that childish. But you'd be really willing to say that those people represent ALL gamers?

He locked his Twitter account because of the harassment. I was lucky enough to be there at the beginning, and seeing what people were saying you'd think he murdered Gabe Newell or something.

Then just look at this shit. I don't know if my middle school was just irregularly immature but that wouldn't be out of place at a sixth grade lunch table.

And no, they don't represent the entire community, naturally, but just like that video they're part of it and at the very least they contribute to how people think of it.

Well, I'm abandoning the Microsoft stock ship while I still can. Enjoy your douchebaggery Microsoft.
And you won't get my money for the NextBox. #dealwithit

Grey Carter:
miss reported flame bait for easy post count and views

Now i hate Microsoft more than most people , but seriously someone needs to but a leash on this grey carter chap,

Is Adam Orth speaking for Microsoft , is he talking about MS policy? no. yet Microsoft is the first word up there and you start by re voicing a complete rumor to make it look like hes confirming its MS's intention.

This is some guy voicing his own opinion on his personal twitter in a conversation with a peer. that's all.

this isnt news or reporting this is the lowest grade nerd baiting. if i wanted to read sensationalist blown out of proportion bullshit , id go to kotarku!

Phlakes:

Lovely Mixture:
What Machinima video?

This one. It's not a perfect comparison since that issue was pretty focused on sexism, but there was a lot of "this reflects badly on the community" going around.

Alright. Well I dislike that "this reflects badly on the community" attitude. People

Phlakes:

It's gone a little bit farther than just making jokes. Take a quick look at /v/ or r/gaming.

Yes, but you were pointing out the memes/jokes, which I was referencing.

And yes, there's no doubt that /v/ and r/gaming are cesspits of hatred and lies.

The people who are doing it, yes. That's what the "anyone involved" part was for.

Very well, excuse my oversight.

He locked his Twitter account because of the harassment. I was lucky enough to be there at the beginning, and seeing what people were saying you'd think he murdered Gabe Newell or something.

Fine, then those people are childish and stupid. We are in agreement there.

Then just look at this shit. I don't know if my middle school was just irregularly immature but that wouldn't be out of place at a sixth grade lunch table.

But the difference is that isn't directly aimed at him, it's making a joke of him. It's like a political cartoon, albeit badly done, but it's the same degree.

I'll draw the line when someone photoshops a Hitler mustache on him or puts a Joker smile on his face.

And no, they don't represent the entire community, naturally, but just like that video they're part of it and at the very least they contribute to how people think of it.

Sure, we don't need to accept bad behavior in the communitty (it's inevitable, but intolerable). But I think it's almost as bad to bend backward for onlookers who will instantly judge gamers on those things as well.

A joke? Oh that works so well in bussiness, just ask Gerald Ratner.

I'm so excited about this; I'm going to have so many new PS4 friends! Yay!

thethird0611:
I have a feeling most comments on this article are going to be directed toward Microsoft because of the title... instead of the Exec himself.

There's a difference between an exec like that saying it (who probably doesnt play video games), and the corporation saying it.

If they're actually running with an always-online console, then it hardly matters who the vitriol is thrown at.

OT: Sometimes people say things and it's impossible to imagine how they function in any kind of situation demanding even a hint of logic. Does he REALLY need the fault in his analogies to be explained?

Fucking idiot.

zumbledum:

Now i hate Microsoft more than most people , but seriously someone needs to but a leash on this grey carter chap,

Is Adam Orth speaking for Microsoft , is he talking about MS policy? no. yet Microsoft is the first word up there and you start by re voicing a complete rumor to make it look like hes confirming its MS's intention.

This is some guy voicing his own opinion on his personal twitter in a conversation with a peer. that's all.

this isnt news or reporting this is the lowest grade nerd baiting. if i wanted to read sensationalist blown out of proportion bullshit , id go to kotarku!

You could have posted his tweets anywhere else, without the context of the article, and I guarantee you'd get the same reaction.

Yes, he's posting his opinions. It just so happens that he's also the creative director of microsoft. If Microsoft's creative director is this out of touch with the feelings on always-online stuff, then I think everyone has the right to get worried.

Hell I'm not even judging Microsoft based on this, I'm judging him. Just as I judged American McGee for trying to be an apologist for the SimCity debacle.

Terminate421:

Hell his original sentiments were enough for him to be burned at the stakes of public opinion and bad PR.

The back and forth was just icing on the cake

EDIT: apparently microsofts interactive entertainment cheif of staff doesnt even know who this guy is

Grey Carter:

"The mobile phone reception in the area I live in is spotty and unreliable. I will not buy a mobile phone," he added.

Yeah, the place I used to live in had a really bad mobile phone reception, so we DIDN'T have mobile phones. I could still play my Camecube, though, even when I couldn't watch tv because of the weather...

I don't get his analogy, specifically how it's supposed to prove his point. If I don't have electricity, I'm not going to buy electric devices, if I don't have a reliable Internet connection, I'm not going to buy things that require that.

I guess from his point of view pissing off people who could not buy your console anyway is good business?

So if he was just trolling, then he got the reaction he wanted

Terminate421:

So if he was just trolling, then he got the reaction he wanted.
That's what a troll wants, they want to make people mad!

Gabe Yaden:
Wow this got out of hand, He was joking around with one of his friends on twitter. Yeah it sounds horrible out of context, but he was honestly just making stupid statements and messing with his friend.

Like the woman who got two people fired after overhearing there private conversation he should of been perpetually aware of everything he ever said online
#dealwithit

Grey Carter:

"The mobile phone reception in the area I live in is spotty and unreliable. I will not buy a mobile phone," he added.

If the mobile phone reception where I live is spotty I would switch providers.

In seriousness though, I don't live in the city and my internet will quickly jump from $50 to $90 to $115 per month depending on usage and having every device 'always on' and downloading updates and crap automatically does not make it easy to keep my data usage down.

Even if the guy was trying to make a private joke, he's doing it in a public forum that cannot communicate the nuances of sarcasm. Did he not hear about the guy in Britain who was fired and arrested for saying on twitter he would bomb an airport because of delays?

thethird0611:

Not much of a difference. If it was a random plebe, maybe, but for a high ranking exec to (publicly) come out on this, that hard? It likely speaks volumes about the sort of dialogue that goes on between Microsoft's decision makers.

OT: Open mouth, insert corporate boot.

This is just more proof that the video game industry has its head shoved somewhere it shouldn't when it comes to PR. This guy should never have gone public with this opinion. By working for the company, especially being an exec, what he does and says reflects on the company. Now, because of him, Microsoft will have to make a response/apology in order to save any face. That's a position that someone with his job should never put their employer in. I suspect this guy is going to get in some hot water over this.

As dumb a company as Microsoft is, they know better (at least they should) than to tell consumers to "Deal with it."

On the other hand, if Microsoft doesn't retract this or, worse yet, doubles down on his statement... well, prepare to lose a lot of customers to Sony.

Consumer good will is invaluable in a competitive market. Given the choice between two comparable products, people will almost always go with the company they like more. That also applies if they are merely apathetic to one company and dislike the other. Microsoft will make no friends (in consumers, publishers probably like it) if they don't retract this in some way.

Zachary Amaranth:

Kargathia:
Customers who don't like what you're selling won't buy it. #dealwithit.

Yes they will. They'll buy it and complain anyway. Look at SimCity. #sadbuttrue

Except that I'd be extremely surprised if SimCity turns out to be profitable. At this point it's safe to say that it'll be selling way below expectancy.

Microsoft is making poor decisions... so go to Sony? Pfft, so you're going to go to another restrictive console?

You know what we can do on a PC? Mod the hell out of games. I don't advocate piracy; still buy the game and stuff, just... wait for a clever clog to program in a nice block to the always online nonsense. You won't even have to have any tech knowledge beyond copy and paste... because they'll step-by-step you through the process. Also: WE CAN MOD THE HELL OUT OF GAMES. I don't see those console Minecrafters flying around in an airship. Right now, some programmer out there is "fixing" Bioshock Infinite so that it plays more like the demo... but not an official 2K programmer so only PC modders will get to see this happen.

You know how much the next consoles are going to cost? I bet you could upgrade to a sweet video card for half that much. And decent RAM continues to be comparatively cheap. 4 GB for 40 bucks or something. So you miss out on the occasional exclusive title, big deal, we've got tons of games you consolers never see or hear about. I know the tech is kind of a barrier if you're still using a Compaq 5500 or something. But, you can get a decent computer now for about the cost of a console. You don't even have to buy a monitor, there are ways to get your PC onto your TV screen.

Join PC gamers, we don't put up with bullshit.

Has anyone considered buying an Ouya? I think I'll buy an Ouya!

Dr. Octogonopus:
Looks like microsoft is replacing YLOD with 404 errors.

This is just an other example of why I think that twitter needs to have a pop-up that appears every time you want to tweet something that says "Really? You want the public to read that? Just think about what you're saying for a minute." Kind of like the little paper clip dude in Word or that buddy you have that stops you from drunk dialing an ex.

I think twitter should have a half-hour delay or something for non-priority messages.

The new console will be always-online. I will not buy it. No seriously, there have just been too many advantages to switching to PC gaming for too long - this puts me over the edge -- next new PC I'm getting will be sufficient as to not need the new xbox for new releases.

Steam has always been way cheaper than buying used games on Amazon for new releases - list price is out of the question. But now that there are tools available to eliminate the usage of used games when publishers/devlopers/Microsoft will it the advantage will be even greater.

PC games also tend to get better patching and update support.

The only advantage that has been keeping me playing on consoles is the fact that I can take usability for granted without worrying about if my hardware is sufficient to run a game.

That's not cutting it anymore.

1 Red Ring of Death and a ride through the tunnel of DLC and I've had about enough Xbox for one lifetime. If creatures like this are planning the future thereof, it's time to jump ship. Wonder how many of us are hoping the next console gen crashes and dies horribly. A good industry purge is needed to drain the swamp.

Pebkio:
Microsoft is making poor decisions... so go to Sony? Pfft, so you're going to go to another restrictive console?

You know what we can do on a PC? Mod the hell out of games. I don't advocate piracy; still buy the game and stuff, just... wait for a clever clog to program in a nice block to the always online nonsense. You won't even have to have any tech knowledge beyond copy and paste... because they'll step-by-step you through the process. Also: WE CAN MOD THE HELL OUT OF GAMES. I don't see those console Minecrafters flying around in an airship. Right now, some programmer out there is "fixing" Bioshock Infinite so that it plays more like the demo... but not an official 2K programmer so only PC modders will get to see this happen.

You know how much the next consoles are going to cost? I bet you could upgrade to a sweet video card for half that much. And decent RAM continues to be comparatively cheap. 4 GB for 40 bucks or something. So you miss out on the occasional exclusive title, big deal, we've got tons of games you consolers never see or hear about. I know the tech is kind of a barrier if you're still using a Compaq 5500 or something. But, you can get a decent computer now for about the cost of a console. You don't even have to buy a monitor, there are ways to get your PC onto your TV screen.

Join PC gamers, we don't put up with bullshit.

Eh, even though I do prefer the PC side of the gaming spectrum, I also realize it's expensive as fuck to invest in. The upkeep cost might be cheaper, but not everyone can afford to put the initial 800-1000 dollars in their start up rig. It's why some people just wait for the price drop on consoles, and then shell out the 300-400 dollars for a console.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here