Microsoft Exec on Always Online Consoles: "Deal With it"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

... and with this tweet, Sony is doing a bit of quiet celebrating. :P

Here's what I don't understand: It is very clear from this thread (and others like it) that a majority of people will not be purchasing a system that is "always on". Parents won't want to hook something with access to the internet always for their kids, people in rural areas that are still consumers get shafted, and everyone else hates the idea for a million other completely valid concerns.

So why doesn't Microsoft come out and say "This is not a part of our plan for the next console". It would calm fears, get people of the hate train, and build interest in your console again. And they can't actually be planning to have always on because to do so would be crazy. Games like SimCity or Diablo can think they'll get away with it because their games are small portions of someone's overall computer experience. People will go a little out of their way to play with a minor inconvenience, because it is a game or experience they especially like that has a small investment.

A console is a gianormous investment for a lot of people, and when you tie all games to that always on standard, it keeps the whole product from being viable. I can understand having the dev kits be always on, but I cannot believe that a major corporation with this huge investment of resources would be so completely stupid about their client base. (Yes, I know there have been many examples in the past).

So just come out and say you won't be doing this Microsoft. I wasn't impressed with the Sony conference, so I may have to go to the WiiU. A WII!!! This is what you have driven us to!

Slyaap:
Ok....I'll deal with it. I've decided not to buy the next version of the Xbox.

Dealt with.

Couldn't have said it better myself. On the upside of this, they've made it very easy for me to decide which next-gen console I will be buying.

I don't understand how they could possibly thought that this was a good idea.

Captcha: poetic justice
I think captcha is looking into the future and seeing the nextbox absolutely flop due this always online bull shit.

Ghonzor:
To not completely ream this guy, as everyone else has, this is also a perfect example of why industry people need to watch what they say in social media.

Yep, totally pulled an EA here.

Nocturnus:
... and with this tweet, Sony is doing a bit of quiet celebrating. :P

I think you mean Sony is doing a bit of anonymous emailing of the tweet to make sure game journalists see it...

The best part about the NextBox is that it's going to be the console that sits on the shelves at military bases, because they can't always get online.

I'm pretty sure he's being an asshole. Like he visualized how to be an asshole in his head and then he sped off to make it a reality. Not a bad job really.

If he thought he was being clever, well I guess there is something to be said about those who hired him.

I really hope there isn't always-online stuff, that would really screw the pouch. Internet doesn't work all the time and one of the things I do when the internet doesn't work is play video games.

Tradjus:
There is absolutely no question, this man is about too be thrown under the bus by Microsoft.
He'll be fired, his family will be fired, everyone he ever knew will be fired.
Microsoft will violently and with finality purge every mention of him from the reality in which we inhabit.

This made me laugh but it's scary since I'm sure if they really wanted to, they could do it.

I won't be surprised if they fire him but I wonder if they'll actually take the public's advice and make their console offline capable after this.

Not that I think he'd ever read this... but here's my response to Mr. Adam Orth and people like him who don't see why always online is a problem...

Mr. Orth,

I have an Xbox 360 and I have it hooked up to the internet, I also have a relatively stable internet connection and though I don't play games online it's generally not a problem having my system always online. Except for one little thing...

There is a significant glitch surrounding Xbox 360 Copies of Mass Effect 3 that only occasionally shows up that no official fix has ever been released for. That being that the game will freeze while connecting to the "Alliance News Network" or something, it'll just keep trying to load it even though it will never load. The only solution I've found is to... GASP... DISCONNECT MY 360 FROM THE INTERNET!

Considering no official fix has been released Mr. Orth how am I supposed to play my game if the system is required to always be online? Your customer service people certainly haven't been any help since it's a problem with a 3rd Party product but hey, I found a first party solution that you apparently don't think I should be able to find.

Thanks for your time,

Pedro "I don't give a shit about multiplayer" Steckecilo

Gabe Yaden:
Wow this got out of hand, He was joking around with one of his friends on twitter. Yeah it sounds horrible out of context, but he was honestly just making stupid statements and messing with his friend.

Okay, he was jokingly insulting potential customers on the internet... I don't see why this shouldn't blow up in his face. He obviously knows that he has plenty of followers, he'd have to be a massive idiot to not think that this would lead to a shit storm. I don't care if you're joking, you don't insult your customers over the internet for everyone to see.

Besides, he has essentially confirmed what many were fearing about the nextbox. I suppose I should thank him for making my choice of next-gen console very easy.

Lightknight:

Church185:
That guide that I posted explains it better than I did in my post. The point I was trying to make is that people naturally assume that building a gaming PC costs a fortune, when really they are only hearing about the most expensive rigs.

It's an extremely valid point you made. The difference in cost means the difference between a machine that lasts 5+ years and a machine that just lasts a couple.

This is pretty much what I meant, I just guess its meaning got lost. I've always seen it as more practical to build the expensive tower as it last the longest. You have the ultra graphics for a pretty good time, and then you just ride it out through the next gen on the medium to high. Throw in a couple of updates if you might need, and it just seems cheaper. Like I said, it's just that initial upstart that's hard.

Hey Adam Orth, guess what? If I can't play games I paid for without an internet connection for even SINGLE player games, then I guess you lost a long time customer. Way to go there, #dealwithit.

Slyaap:

Dealt with.

(I hope this isn't too low content, I'm awfully new at this)

Im already dead set on the PS4 to begin with.

Now, just to be sure, when we talk about Always on, does this mean that if the internet doesnt work, the XBox wont either? Cuz thats just plain Pants-on-head retarded...

There's another thread floating around about this where I posted my opinion so as to not spam I'll enclose it in the following

I'm so glad I'm getting into PC gaming.

WanderingFool:

Slyaap:

Dealt with.

(I hope this isn't too low content, I'm awfully new at this)

Im already dead set on the PS4 to begin with.

Now, just to be sure, when we talk about Always on, does this mean that if the internet doesnt work, the XBox wont either? Cuz thats just plain Pants-on-head retarded...

There was an article on Kotaku where a source said that if there is no Internet connection no games or apps can be started, if the internet connection is interrupted while a game or app is running then after 3 minutes they are suspended and a network troubleshooter appears.

Microsoft seems to be making all the wrong choices for next gen.

Sure am glad he's not the voice of Microsoft.

Smart, very smart. Because, you know... always online DRM (which this is...) has been proven to work flawlessly until now. Geesh... can you imagine 30+ million users trying to play at the same time? Can you imagine a bust like Sim City affecting your entire console? I feel pity for the poor souls who are going to buy this crap in the first few months. That is reason alone to stay away from this.

Staying online and benefiting from it is one thing. Servers down? No problemo... single player it is. Being forced to stay online is something else. Anybody here remember the PSN fiasco a few years back? Microsoft, I hope you're ready for this. I'll have no joy in seeing you crash. But you will. And that's the only thing I'll have to deal with :)

That settles it I guess, looks like I'm jumping ship.

Here's a question, Mr PR guy;
I work for 4 months a year on a Military base; a location where I am not legally allowed to have internet connections. And you're telling me that this 300-500 dollar piece of entertainment equipment is no better than a paperweight at that point?

What colour is the sky in your world, little man? Are there elves? I feel there should be elves. You've just lost me, and probably hundreds of other sales - remember how big a deal was made when troops in Iraq and Afghanistan were shipped some 360's, and Halo?

BurnOutBrighter:
Front page on Reddit and all over the big news sites now. HUGE PR disaster for MS.

Oh, and there's also the meme!

Oh god Sim City ad showed up on that page. Cannot stop laughing. Was having a rough day this helped haha.

Dear Adam Orth, not everyone and or should have to need an internet connection to use their hardware or software. I use Windows and I have a legal license for it too. However I also have a means to update it and install it without ever needing an internet connection.

Do you think this is the right way to "Deal with it?"

bringer of illumination:
Well I suppose Microsoft can "deal with it" when the NextBox tanks.

Can we move Viva Pinata to the Nintendo Console so that I have literally nothing I care about that is Xbox only :x.

Might just have to make that final leap into PC Gaming this next console generation. Hope anyone at Microsoft who thinks this is a good idea realizes how bloody stupid the idea is by then.

Sometimes I think there needs to be a new job created: Analogy Police.

"Hey gamers, complaining about always online DRM is like refusing to buy a car because you live too far from a petrol-"

"Excuse me sir, Analogy Police. I'm going to have to ask you to step away from the comparison and return to your home. Quietly."

Well MS has sort of come out apologising for this with Larry Hryb, also known as 'Major Nelson' the Director of Programming for Xbox Live issuing this statement.

Official Statement on what was said yesterday

I wanted to give you the official Microsoft Statement regarding some comments you may have seen yesterday::

"We apologize for the inappropriate comments made by an employee on Twitter yesterday. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views do not reflect the customer centric approach we take to our products or how we would communicate directly with our loyal consumers. We are very sorry if this offended anyone, however we have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."

As frequent readers of my blog know, the moment we have news about our products I will be sharing all the details I can.

Xbox 360, Xbox Live By Larry Hryb, Xbox LIVE's Major Nelson

Basicly its 'sorry our guy was a douchebag, but we aren't going to confirm nor deny his statement regarding Always Online.'

http://majornelson.com/2013/04/05/official-statement-on-what-was-said-yesterday/

So, if someone decides to not have internet, or their internet goes out they can just fuck off right?
Pff what an asshole, if they really go always online it'll be the push I need to finally switch to PC gaming.

ProtoChimp:
Adam Orth you sir are a cunt. What are you? You're a cunt, yes you are. You live in a cunty cottage and you drive a cunty car.

I laughed harder at this then I probably should have.

Sectan:
Is there some law that if you're a high up in a gaming company under criticism you have to act like an ass to potential customers? This wouldn't even be a thing if he was defending always online professionally. Turning it into an argument a 13 year old would have just makes you want to smack him across the face. "WE NEED MOAR CUSTOMERS! LET'S START INSULTING THEM THAT'LL WORK!"

Reverse Psychology ain't gonna work on us,you dummy! Solve-Media: FLIP FLOPS "Stop slapping me with that fish!"

bat32391:

ProtoChimp:
Adam Orth you sir are a cunt. What are you? You're a cunt, yes you are. You live in a cunty cottage and you drive a cunty car.

I laughed harder at this then I probably should have.

"You are a Doucebag!" XD

Shamanic Rhythm:
Sometimes I think there needs to be a new job created: Analogy Police.

"Hey gamers, complaining about always online DRM is like refusing to buy a car because you live too far from a petrol-"

"Excuse me sir, Analogy Police. I'm going to have to ask you to step away from the comparison and return to your home. Quietly."

What's the penalty for repeat offenders? N-not that I'm guilty of this or anything. If I was.... do I get leniency for supporting the consumer side?

If the NextBox has wireless connections, then its no big deal. However, if I have to run a long fucking cable from my living room to my router just to play singleplayer games, then no thanks.

Kargathia:

Except that I'd be extremely surprised if SimCity turns out to be profitable. At this point it's safe to say that it'll be selling way below expectancy.

SimCity was still #1 in computer games on Amazon weeks after being delisted. I have no idea if it's still there, but if you think that's unprofitable, or anything of the sort....

I don't even know what to say, honestly. People have gone so far as to take their own expectations and portray them as fact and then act surprised when things don't turn out that way (and to be fair, they still MIGHT, but I suspect "below expectations" will only be an issue because these are the same guys who thought Dead Space 3 should be able to sell 5 million units).

I call it "Fox News Syndrome," based on the 2012 election, but I suppose at this point "disgruntled gamer syndrome" would work just as well.

Pebkio:

Join PC gamers, we don't put up with bullshit.

Except that's where Always Online originated, so that makes even less sense than going PS4. :p

Zachary Amaranth:

Except that's where Always Online originated, so that makes even less sense than going PS4. :p

I'm sorry, you're absolutely right, it's not like PC gamers are the only ones doing anything about the always online nonsense or anything. Yeah, we certainly weren't bypassing that crap since it's beginnings. In fact, I can safely say that this CAN'T be the reason why they're thinking of switching the always online stuff to the more pliable and less active console community.

I'm not being sarcastic at all. Nope. It'd be best if you went with a console for which only some always online games will be made (as opposed to all) and that you won't be able to do anything about. I mean, at least some of your games won't require a constant connection on the PS4. Meanwhile, us poor PC gamers will just have to deal with not having to put up with bullshit.

---

Ubisoft was trying that always online thing with us way back with Assassin's Creed 2 and our coders basically told them to sit and spin. Everything they've forced online has been modded back offline. And until publishers give up such a stupid practice, we'll continue to fix their idiocy.

Kargathia:
Customers who don't like what you're selling won't buy it. #dealwithit.

I think he can live with that. What he can't live with (and I'm guessing BioWare, Capcom, and Feminist Frequency can all relate) is a bunch of whiny, pedantic noisemakers blowing up his Twitter feed with their melodramatic bullshit.

It's literally him saying "Alright, don't buy it. Fine. Just shut up already and bother someone else"

And he's got a point. If gamers really are so against the always online thing, then opt not to buy it. But don't throw a complete tirade in the process. The owner of a shop has to respect your right to not buy anything there, but he is also free to ask the customer to leave should the customer become an irritant.

For me, the "drama" is that the game will be unplayable if the servers ever go down permanently. Just like the good MMOs & Facebook games you may have liked that went away & you can never play again. It's much worse than a lack of backwards compatibility, because there's no old system you can buy to run it on.

After this tweet, everyone at Sony is high five-ing each other because you know, they just won this console generation.

I really hope Microsoft is trolling, else if they do continue on this path and try to shove Kinect 2 onto it's consumers along with the always online DRM thing, then they can just stop now because everyone else will either buy a PS4 or go PC instead.

Spent the day considering this, reading opinions around the net, and watching it spread virally like an outbreak of the T-Virus during holiday travel times. And I just have to say the following:

1. Orth will be fired. Why? Because he caused a PR disaster; because he probably violated if not an NDA, then at least an internal requirement to not run your mouth about the company online or over social media without express say-so; because he made the job of selling always-online that much harder; and because someone has to take a trip under the bus over this mess at the end of the day. When it's just stories here and on Kotaku and Joystiq, that's bad. When it's on CNET and Reddit, that's worse. When it's front paging Forbes and HuffPo, clean out your desk and just pray Microsoft is willing to let it go at that.

2. Those who are left behind are utterly boned. All accounts point damn strongly to always-online being required for the Durango. This fiasco not only makes it clear the user base is adamantly against that, but worse, it poisoned the well before any marketing can take place to make it attractive. It's gone damn far in a very short period of time, and worse still, E3- where Durango is likely to get the big reveal -is right around the corner. So, let's roleplay: you're a Microsoft Exec, and you woke up this morning to THIS. And as the day wore on, it got worse... and worse... and worse. So do you:
A) Go ahead with the reveal at E3 as planned, knowing there's going to be epic backlash and you may well alienate the potential Week 1 buyers by doing so?, or
B) Delay reveal & release to remove always-online... and in doing so piss off EVERY developer who was making you launch titles since they'd not only need to delay and miss out on sales, but would need to sink in extra money to make sure their games could work sans-always-online?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here