Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Is Neon-Soaked 80's Action

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon Is Neon-Soaked 80's Action

"The year is 2007. It is the future."

Game studios love to mess with their fans on April 1, so when a website went up for the hilariously retro Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon expansion, many assumed it was just another prank. However, there are a few convincing indicators that this mysterious expansion is the real deal: 400G's worth of Blood Dragon Xbox Achievements have surfaced, and now a handful of screenshots have appeared as well. Though the expansion hasn't been officially announced, we've got more than enough pieces to put the puzzle together.

The amusing retro Blood Dragon website makes it out to be a classic B-movie, complete with an interview from its fictional director. There's also an appropriately cheesy story teaser: "The year is 2007. It is the future. Earth has been ravaged by a nuclear war and new paths for peace must be found. A U.S. cyborg army may have found a solution: a powerful bioweapon on a distant island. A Mark IV Cyber Commander, Sergeant Rex Power Colt has been sent over to gather information and figure out what the hell is going on."

Assuming this plot synopsis is accurate, it looks like there won't be much in common with the original Far Cry 3, except a possible return to the Rook Islands as the setting. The screenshots appear to confirm that players will be stepping into the boots of cyborg supersoldier Rex Colt, wielding a number of weapons with just enough glowy bits to pass as future tech. As for the titular Blood Dragons, that might be more than just a code name: the Achievements list has a few entries for slaying dragons, which could reference the original game's komodo dragons. It could also be the giant dragon shooting laser beams from its eyes as seen on the expansion's box art. I really, really hope it's the latter.

Judging by the ratings, Blood Dragon will be coming to PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC. It's obviously quite detached from vanilla Far Cry 3, so it's likely it'll be a standalone downloadable game rather than a traditional expansion. We'll like get more official details soon, so stayed tuned - 2007 will be here soon.

Source: All Games Beta

You can actually hear some of the songs for the DLC on soundcloud atm.

https://soundcloud.com/powerglove

The one titled warzone sounds like it belongs in the first terminator movie.

edit: that would actually be really fitting considering the box's cover art looks a lot like 80s Michael Biehn.

I'm actually really interested in this. Probably because I have "serious-fatigue" and am just tired of all the super-serious games these days.

So hell yeah, give me cheesy 80's action!

Looks great, in the April 1st teaser they did show a tiny fraction of gameplay that seemed like it actually belonged to a game so while I wasnt sure that it was an april fools with this being related to Far Cry I kind had the idea that there was some 80's type of game out there to be announced, and after all it is actually related to Far Cry so yeah, thats also cool.

Anyone else getting flashbacks from the deckers lair in Saints Row 3 based on those screenshots, also I love that fact that all you needed back in the 80's to make a future weapon was to strap some glowing lights on something.

If this is real it could very well be a case what your suppose to do with DLC (At least in my opnion). I don't want more map packs or a boring side quest, Go nuts! Try something new and risky with all those game mechanics and art assets! Imagine if Mass Effect had some completely off the rails non-cannon DLC were Shepard and the Normandy go back in time to Roswell or the War of the Worlds radio incident.

I believe that DLC is a great platform to experiment with things you'd never consider adding in the orginal game or to try a tone that the main story would never allow.

Sometimes I wish I could go back to 2007.

I have been putting Far Cry off for all kinds of reasons, other games coming out, shooter fatigue etc. I have to get it now for this, this looks great. Far Cry 3 by itself is well received anyway, so I will get to play two great games.

toomuchnothing:
You can actually hear some of the songs for the DLC on soundcloud atm.

https://soundcloud.com/powerglove

The one titled warzone sounds like it belongs in the first terminator movie.

edit: that would actually be really fitting considering the box's cover art looks a lot like 80s Michael Biehn.

Some of those are a great blend of late 80s Acid House with the 80s new wave synths, good stuff.

I get the feeling someone on the Dev team went nuts came up with an idea did alot of work and somehow convinced his bosses they should do this amazing bit of satire as a standalone game. To be honest this looks great.

Irridium:
I'm actually really interested in this. Probably because I have "serious-fatigue" and am just tired of all the super-serious games these days.

So hell yeah, give me cheesy 80's action!

^ This.

Also: A giant dragon shooting laser beams from its eyes.

I really need a game like this now. Can't wait to know more about it.

DVS BSTrD:

I do too, but only to short a truckload of stock and make a killing...

Hmm... I'm guessing they're trying to break the mindset that DLC has to be absolutely related to the story and setting? Because they definitely blew that away, and it'll be a standout without a doubt.

That, and bolster the desire for TC mods instead of just mutliplayer maps.

"You spilled your Saints Row into my cup of perfectly good Far Cry!" -sips- "Hmmmmm..."

zomg, a game I really want for some reason. This was unexpected. I'll buy this as soon as it comes out if it's a standalone release

I didn't want Far Cry 3 before because, you know, Ubisoft and their PC shenanigans. But this and finding out that I can play Assassin's Creed 2+ offline made me put it at the top spot of my steam wishlist.

Wait.... what?

I first heard about this on the 1st and dismissed it as a fool.... so they are really doing this?

...wow.

This.Looks.Awesome.

I can't wait for more info. Is it standalone? Or just FC3 DLC? Does it have multiplayer?

Cognimancer:
There's also an appropriately cheesy story teaser: "The year is 2007. It is the future. Earth has been ravaged by a nuclear war and new paths for peace must be found. A U.S. cyborg army may have found a solution: a powerful bioweapon on a distant island. A Mark IV Cyber Commander, Sergeant Rex Power Colt has been sent over to gather information and figure out what the hell is going on."

There is nothing in that synopsis that I did not like.

Oh my this looks...spectacular...time to upgrade my pc or something...

Goddammit, this better be real!

Okay... they actually outsourced the DLC to Volition? Because it completely looks like something they would make, and I haven't seen any developer pull off something that even closely resembles anything Volition does.
This is... basically a first person Saints Row The Third. There are no other words to describe it.

Well... Saints Row always seems to resemble what happens when Goodfellas watch a Jackass and Benny Hill marathon.
If it actually feels like that, yeah I would certainly buy it and applaud it.

I don't use this image often, but I think it's about time...

I have to say this looks pretty awesome, it's nice to have some good old fashioned and super cheesy 80's fun.
First there's the return of Lisa Foiles and now this, it looks like FUN is coming back to gaming.

I think I'll be buying this when it comes out. I just hope I don't have to download stuff like U-Play.

If this turns out to be real, I might buy FarCry 3 just so I can play it.
Seriously, this looks amazing.

if this comes out as a standalone short game (which i doubt) i'd probably buy it, looks so fun

Well this promises to be hilarious. Might well be checking it out; really enjoyed Far Cry 3 as a game.

I wonder if the wildlife are all robotic, and skinning them will get you a Leopard CPU, or some Shark Wires.

DVS BSTrD:

But 2007 is in the future now. You can't go back to the future.

The:

DVS BSTrD:

But 2007 is in the future now. You can't go Back to the Future.

Of course you can! you just need a heavily Modified Delorean and a crazy old man and you're set.

I really want to see where they're going with this. It looks like it will be fun.

Dr.Awkward:
Hmm... I'm guessing they're trying to break the mindset that DLC has to be absolutely related to the story and setting? Because they definitely blew that away, and it'll be a standout without a doubt.

Or perhaps dearest Jason has finally gone Full Retard.

Is it weird that I only clicked on the link because the picture made it look like the game was going to star a young Michal Biehn wearing a cyborg eye patch, and then spent the next few minutes looking for the source of the image before being disappointed that it apparently has nothing to do with the game itself? Something about that picture just makes the 80's cheese complete. I'm imagining him and Mark Hamill (which is who I thought it was a picture of at first) facing off against Rutger Hauer in the mother of all B movies now.

Gunner 51:
I don't use this image often, but I think it's about time...

I have to say this looks pretty awesome, it's nice to have some good old fashioned and super cheesy 80's fun.
First there's the return of Lisa Foiles and now this, it looks like FUN is coming back to gaming.

I think I'll be buying this when it comes out. I just hope I don't have to download stuff like U-Play.

It was like Overstrike was whisked away in secret and trained at a dojo to one day strike back at the evil GRITTY FUSE PERSON SHOOTING GAMES.

Wait...
So the maybe fact that this wasn't an April fools joke, was in itself the actual April fools joke?
Or am I overthinking this...
Oh well, seems like fun so I'm hoping it's real.

I'm just puzzling over what this is going to have to do with Farcry at all.
It looks great no doubt, but I thought DLC was supposed to have at least a passing tie to it's source game.

I almost wish this was just it's own game.

Its based on the latest crytek engine that powered 3 and simply isn't a big enough deal to be considered its own game by Ubisoft, thus why its "dlc".

I preffer the term standalone expansion pack myself, im also SO FRICKEN GLAD ITS REAL!

Ive been following this for a while now as you can tell from my post about it in the other threads about it around the escapist and i wish more company's would do this, ie use dlc to be experimental and offer me a new unique game play experience in comparison to what i just played (ie farcry 3).

Also i liked farcry 3 and i think that ubi do a damn good job keeping the series fresh with each new release.

Now if you don't mind im going to be listening to hair metal and watching really bad 80's scifi!

EDIT

I will definitely buy this when its out (just like i bought 3) and who gives 2 shits about UPLAY Ive needed it for every other UBI game on pc and it has a offline mode SO WHY ARE PPLS BITCHING!

This is frankly fucking hysterical. Developers, your sense of humor is just spot on.

This looks like serious fun. How long has it been since DLC has been known completely change the base game by turning it on it's head? I like it alot.

Where have I seen that font for Far Cry 3 before >.>?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here