EA Really Doesn't Want to be The Worst Company In America

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

EA Really Doesn't Want to be The Worst Company In America

"The tallest trees catch the most wind," argues EA's Peter Moore.

It seems increasingly likely that EA will win The Consumerist's "Worst Company in America" award for the second year running. The publisher has already knocked AT&T off the poll and is currently going up against Ticketmaster. Should it emerge "victorious," EA will then have to face either Bank of America or Comcast in the final.

Now, I've been a bit sore at EA since it dissolved Bullfrog (and in EA controversy terms that was like a billion years ago), but I'm not sure I'd label it the worst company in America. I mean, even discounting the presence of corporate hate-sponges like BP and Bank of America, EA is going up against Ticketmaster. TICKETMASTER.

Naturally, EA isn't particularly keen on being labeled the worst company in the nation, and thus, Chief Operating Officer, Peter Moore, has penned a short piece in its defense. The article, originally posted on EA's site, seems to be one part apology, two parts defensive arguments and a splash of gloating for flavor.

We Can Do Better

by Peter Moore, EA chief operating officer

The tallest trees catch the most wind.

That's an expression I frequently use when asked to defend EA's place in the gaming industry. And it comes to mind again this week as we get deeper into the brackets of an annual Web poll to name the "Worst Company in America."

This is the same poll that last year judged us as worse than companies responsible for the biggest oil spill in history, the mortgage crisis, and bank bailouts that cost millions of taxpayer dollars. The complaints against us last year were our support of SOPA (not true), and that they didn't like the ending to Mass Effect 3.

This year's contest started in March with EA outpolling a company which organizers contend is conspiring to corner the world market on mid-priced beer, and (gulp) allegedly waters down its product. That debate takes place in bars - our audience lives on the Internet. So no surprise that we drew more votes there.

Let me cut to the chase: it appears EA is going to "win." Like the Yankees, Lakers and Manchester United, EA is one of those organizations that is defined by both a legacy of success, and a legion of critics (especially me regarding all three of those teams).

Are we really the "Worst Company in America?" I'll be the first to admit that we've made plenty of mistakes. These include server shut downs too early, games that didn't meet expectations, missteps on new pricing models and most recently, severely fumbling the launch of SimCity. We owe gamers better performance than this.

Some of these complaints are 100 percent legitimate - like all large companies we are not perfect. But others just don't hold water:

• Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It's not. People still want to argue about it. We can't be any clearer - it's not. Period.
  • Some claim there's no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong.
  • Some people think that free-to-play games and micro-transactions are a pox on gaming. Tens of millions more are playing and loving those games.
  • We've seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL. Yes, really...
  • In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we're seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.

That last one is particularly telling. If that's what makes us the worst company, bring it on. Because were not caving on that.

We are committed to fixing our mistakes. Over the last three weeks, 900,000 SimCity players took us up on a free game offer for their troubles. We owed them that. We're constantly listening to feedback from our players, through our Customer Experience group, Twitter, this blog, or other sites. The feedback is vital, and impacts the decisions we make.

I expect the debate will include a lot of comments under this post. But here's the truth: each year EA interacts with more than 350 million gamers; Origin is breaking records for revenue and users; The Simpsons: Tapped Out and Real Racing 3 are at the top of the mobile charts; Battlefield 3 and FIFA are stunning achievements with tens of millions of players; and SimCity is being enjoyed by millions of passionate fans all over the world.

Every day, millions of people across globe play and love our games - literally, hundreds of millions more than will vote in this contest.

So here's my response to this poll: We can do better. We will do better. But I am damn proud of this company, the people around the globe who work at EA, the games we create and the people that play them.

The tallest trees catch the most wind. At EA we remain proud and unbowed.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Source: EA

I'd post this as a response on there, but unfortunately they have a rather low character limit on comments. xD

First let me address your points regarding EA being voted "The Worst Company in America".

The site this Poll takes place on is called "The Consumerist", and the Poll is dedicated to companies that screw over consumers, not committing atrocities against mankind, because you are right EA wouldn't be among the final contestants in that case. BP won't win awards for its clean business and the Bank of America is an American bank that did horrible things to the people indebted to them, but ultimately the peak of most people coming into contact with consumer practices in regards to BP is usually when they are upset because the gas prices went up again. And the Bank of America is the Bank of "America", while The Consumerist Poll is open to people Worldwide.

Another key difference is also that they offer replaceable goods. If someone doesn't like BP they can go fill their gas tank at a Shell or Exxon petrol station or at various other competitors of their choosing and their car will still work just fine.
If people don't like a bank they can always switch, in most cases even transfer debt if there's evidence of being able to pay it off.
If people want to play games published by EA though, which are unique as products, they can't get them from anywhere else, and they're forced to suffer from EAs overall practices against its consumers. If you like games, or want games by certain developers like BioWare, Maxis or Visceral you are forced to put up with those or go without.

For instance in the case of Sim City, there could have been near to a million ticked off consumers that weren't able to play the game for the first week or two and were directly affected by these practices. Amazon.com has over 3000 1-star user reviews alone, a lot of them by "Amazon Verified Purchasers" so you know these are YOUR consumers complaining about YOU. Those are people that actively took the time of day and wrote entire paragraphs (and initiated in dialogue) over how bad the game and especially your practices in regards to it are.

At the end of the day, what do you think would have happened if BP or Bank of America would've won another award for how badly they are operating their business? They wouldn't even have released any kind of statement to acknowledge their win and there likely wouldn't have been any kind of reaction at all. People are at least hoping to get a reaction and admittance out of EA, and maybe, possibly change some of the things it does.

That Sim City's Always Online Requirement isn't "DRM" is a blatant lie and you know that, many of your consumers (especially on the PC side of things) are rather proficient with technical skills and work in IT or as programmers themselves, you should know that you can't pull the wool over their eyes.

The features and the requirements of a game deign if it should carry the "MMO" genre brand and not marketing buzzwords or type of DRM employed.

Sim City was always decidedly Single Player and the new one isn't much different, it's just a new breed of single player game that has a built in DRM limiting its use-cases and deigning it to a designed obsolescence as soon as the sequel comes out. It's a bad precedent and has to be stopped lest more and more decidedly Single Player games do the same thing and then possibly "disappear" forever at some point when server upkeep doesn't prove profitable anymore or out of whatever other reason, while people can still play Sim City 2000 from 20 years ago without a problem.

Let's examine the meaning of the word "MMO" as it pertains to Sim City...

MASSIVE(LY) -> Usually means more than 128 people (often much more) and with a persistent world, Battlefield for instance had 6464 player maps and soldier persistency mechanics for a long while and it's still "only" considered a Multiplayer game (and also always had its Single Player part in being able to play against Bots or the campaign). In the case of Sim City there are regions that people can play in either alone, or share cities with a rather (low) number of other people, usually 2-6 other people, but only 4 seem to be able to interconnect properly at one time.

MULTIPLAYER -> Should be a little more than a few values you could unmarshal/marshal from/into a simple file. You can play alone in Sim City, there isn't even a "Co-Op Mode" for two player city building or anything like that, which would require Multiplayer. All new features could be developed as an (optional) Multiplayer mode and everyone would have been happy.

Regions and sharing/trading resources aren't a new thing, Sim City 4 from 2003 already had those with its Regional Gameplay.

As far as I know there were even people playing it in "Multiplayer" like the new Sim City that way by simply synching a few of the State/Save-files amongst each other using DropBox, for instance there are people on SimTropolis doing this.

There is also a big difference between "Synchronous Multiplayer Games" (what MMOs are using where people run around with each other, form groups or raids and appear with hundreds of other people in a common town or area and states are updated instantaneously to transmit the new positional data based on ping latency from clients to server) and "Asynchronous Multiplayer Games" like Sim City where you can play all by your lonesome, building your city not much minding what other people do, even if they are Offline at the moment and then they get to see what you did when they log in next and get to do the same.

The only mechanism required for this is a asynchronous way to push/pull and merge that data at given intervals depending on how the players want to, e.g. every hour/day/week or whatever may be deemed appropriate. Instead EA/Maxis made it all just worse, by requiring an Always-Online connection even if you are playing alone (which most people are likely doing).

ONLINE -> Yep, forced "Always-Online DRM".

Sim City, even with its new design is still a decidedly Single Player game (that could make use of an OPTIONAL Multiplayer Mode which would only need to synch State files with a master server every time in a period of X hours/minutes or even multiple days if the player chooses so, no need to be Always Online for it), your own engineers have said so themselves.

You keep repeating that the game is an "MMO", trying to get people to buy that. This whole thing would have been half as bad if you just admitted to the DRM instead of outright lying and trying to deflect from the issues, but that isn't EAs usual policy.

Your company has been going around devouring developers and draining them of all their creativity for around two decades now, about as many years as you have treated your customers as walking, talking wallets and not much else. You have been at the forefront of DLC and Day-1 DLC as a money-gouging practice, Microtransactions, using viral marketing to change public perception, trying to influence the press, trying to prevent used sales with Online Passes, various kinds of consumer-scorning DRM methods, lately even Always-Online DRM.
You refer to Microtransactions as a "consumer choice", yet your previous CEO referred to them as consumer exploitation at points in time when players "aren't price sensitive":

Your sports games only sell the way they do because you have acquired and are basically hoarding the exclusive rights to about any existing league out there, from the NFL, NBA, FIFA, UEFA to the NHL and more. Principal thing being to have no competition as you know that a quasi-monopolistic position in the market is the best position to be in and games aren't considered "serious business" just yet anyway, despite making more money than movies and music do in large parts of the world.
These practices are considered and methodical unlike oil spills or the financial crisis (which I am sure even BP and big banks didn't WANT to happen, but came to be from negligence).

I'd also like to remind you of the "EA Spouse" incident, that described how EA deals with some of its valued employees, there's talk of 7-day work weeks and 85-90 hours of work in those, of deteriorating families and other nasty things, and if a game slightly underperforms you don't seem as considerate about their livelihoods and cut their jobs to "maximize profits".

You also aren't above cutting peoples jobs and re-hiring them in their desperation just as a bonus was due, benefits would kick in or because you want your quarterly figures to look good, or at least weren't above it in the past.

Your EULA forbids people to sue you if they have disagreements, you take the rights to collect personal data of your consumers for yourself and use it whatever way you want and having the right to terminate any purchase agreement and taking away products out of any reason whatsoever, just because they want to play some games.

In other industries, trying to talk customers into believing that they don't actually "own" the products they buy with their money or trying to completely prevent used sales would be considered ludicrous, yet when your company does it, it seems to be fine since it's "only about video games", you are also shifting the lion share of your profits to marketing-based "Pre-Order" hype more and more, since actually knowing if a game is good or bad before buying it might be bad for business after all...

It is also telling, that yet again you are using the LBTGQ community as nothing but a shield to hide behind whenever you make mistakes, you have done so already for Dragon Age 2, you have done it in various occasions for Star Wars: The Old Republic, you have done it against the criticism levied against Mass Effect 3 in the beginning days till the mountain grew too big (which wasn't only about the ending, but also about employing Origin as DRM, important plot-based Day-1 DLC and many other things), you have done it with Sim City recently and more importantly you have already done it the last time around you were voted the "Worst Company in America" and were even called out on it by publications like Forbes. People aren't really buying it anymore.

It constitutes a really low PR tactic and people appreciate it less and less the more you make use of it. We know that EA has even dabbled in hiring fake religious protesters to promote their games (Dante's Inferno) and that the company isn't above this.

Enough is enough and there is also another tree-related proverb that I'd like to bring up: "The bigger they are, the harder they fall."

I can't be the only one who read his bullet points going "bullshit....more bullshit....padded numbers.....and more bullshit"

EA has got to stop trying to justify themselves because they can't. I am sorry the decisions they are making are not justifiable so please stop it. We arn't going to buy your crap opinions on the matter.

Objectively, EA is not the worst company in America, but they unfortunately deal business more out in the open with their products being video games. Adding fuel to the fire -- the internet, gamers use it to more of an extent than most groups.

Im sure that Activision is a taller tree than EA, yet theyve done nothing to piss off this many people over the last 2 years.

Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It's not. People still want to argue about it. We can't be any clearer - it's not. Period.

Enough to tell you that this letter is utter bullshit. Period.

In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we're seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.

NO EA! You do not get to Spin the story and take the Moral high ground on this shit! Dont try to fool people by lumping these intolerant assholes with the people actually making legitimate complaints against your practices. You dont get to try to make yourself look progressive like that.

(As you can tell, Im a bit passionate about this lol)

Still though, I'm glad Grey posted this without much opinion on it all, leave it a bit ambiguous lol

If you don't want a reputation of being a puppy kicker, then stop kicking puppies! It's as simple as that!

On top of that, they charge you money every time they kick your puppy. Don't support a puppy kicker.

Objectively no EA. You are not worse than people that literally rob people of their money, launder money, make fraudulent inside trader deals, illegally foreclose on mortgages, etc. You are not as bad as those people. That should be quite a comfort to you. That you are in fact not worse than fraudulent robberbaron bankers. Now instead of patting yourself on the fucking back about not being on the bottom of the barrel how about trying to actually climb out of that barrel?

Instead of continuing to deny the DRM bullshit with SimCity, rework the online model to where we have an offline mode, where the online actually adds something rather than perpetuate what is up to this point the most simplistic and worst SimCity game ever made.

Instead of boasting that you forced 45 million people to register so they can play their games instead turn your DRM device into an actual store. You are not competing with steam because you are not even making the tiniest effort to do so. No sales, no wide library of games. Not even a fucking 5$ discount on your own products. Awesome.... I can't wait to shop there instead of on GMG where literally every game is 20% off all the time...

If you expect people to thank you for inserting microtransactions into already overpriced games (a PC game should never cost 60$ when every other company on earth except Activision seems to think 50$ are more than enough, there is no licensing fee there you greedy assholes) I suggest you take your medicine to stop yourselves from hallucinating.

The one thing I will grant you is that your continued support of LGBT characters in roleplaying games is a much needed voice in a layer of society where gay is a basic insult. Congratulations on achieving basic human decency EA. The people that vote you as worst company because commander Shepard could dock his pod into Cortez bay are homophobic scum.

That still leaves you with a 1-3 disadvantage.

You might not be the worst company of America, but that is because there are worse people than you in the world, not because you are better than those people. If I had told my father that my report card was horrible but that I at least wasn't the stupidest kid in class because some other kid was even stupider I would have gotten my ass beaten.

Don't pretend like "Not The Worst" is a fucking achievement. It just means that you failed at that to.

EA, you should have listened to us before we had to go to extremes to get your attention, then maybe you wouldn't be up this creek. I have no sympathy, don't act like you're being bullied, and stop doing things that make your consumers hate you. It's pretty simple.

I can't believe they didn't know what kind of hate they've been building when we've been telling them about it every step of the way. I also can't believe that they didn't know what kind of long grudges gamers tend to hold. So, in my opinion - they made their bed now they can cry in it.

I still want Dragon Age: Inquisition to be good - if it is, I'll tone down the hate. That's the salvation EA: start doing better, and we'll stop telling you how much you suck.

The tallest trees catch the most wind, are you are definitely blowing the most wind right now Peter Moore.

EA isn't a good company, that is certainly true. However EA, as bad they are claimed to be, are far from the worst in america by a very large margin.

That said:

Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It's not. People still want to argue about it. We can't be any clearer - it's not. Period.

Then what is it?
So far the given explanations for it have been lies. You're not doing anything server side other than storing saves (that isn't from real necessity either) and facilitating multiplayer, something that doesn't lead to needing a constant internet connection for the game to work at all.

All evidence is against what is being said here, and we cannot take you at your word because as already noted, previous explanations from EA were found to be factually incorrect. The distrust and lack of honesty EA shows to its customers means when they say something we have every reason not to believe it until a third party confirms it.

And with that said, this statement is a slight move in the right direction. Sure there is some bullshit here, a lot of deflection and rigorous abuse of what is basicly an argumentum ad populum, but this line is a good thing "We owe gamers better performance than this.".
Yes, you do.

Ugh.

You know, I want to be mad.

I want to raise a banner and point out all the flaws in Moore's argument.

I just can't dredge up enough emotion about it. I'm tired of you EA. I'm tired. All I will do is point out that "The Tallest Tree Catches the Most Wind" is basically the same as saying "People just don't like us because we're successful."

I can't do it anymore EA. Please just stop already.

The worst part of this is, it proves EA is confident in what it's doing. It doesn't think it's doing anything wrong and that it's detractors are wrong to complain. That. THAT is what wears me out.

I opened article thinking for one moment that EA was going to say something along the lines of "We want to improve our public image so people think more highly of us." Instead it's just more of the "Why to people hate EA?" bullshit.

I'm done. You won't learn EA. You won't admit you're doing anything wrong, so there's no hope of you ever improving.

dragongit:
If you don't want a reputation of being a puppy kicker, then stop kicking puppies! It's as simple as that!

On top of that, they charge you money every time they kick your puppy. Don't support a puppy kicker.

My point I have refused to play/buy Mass Effect 3, I plan to play it on the day EA dies and forever be reminded with joy. If EA never dies then I will never play it and forever loath gamers for supporting EA.

Huh that's funny EA, we don't want you to be the worst company ever either. And yet here we are.

So your sticking with it's an MMO thing then huh? Funny cause I though MMOs generally supported a bit more than 16 concurrent players. I can keep calling a banana a female aardvark, but it doesn't make it anymore true. SimCity's always online requirement is DRM, no amount of weaseling will change that.

Some claim there's no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong.

Granted there is room Origin to compete, however your not going to win out over your competitor if you strong arm customers into using your service when your competitor is clearly the better alternative. You can say Valve did a similar thing back with Half Life 2 but there was nothing like Steam before that, you can't just use that same strategy after on your platform after Steam has had years to cement itself and improve.

Some people think that free-to-play games and micro-transactions are a pox on gaming. Tens of millions more are playing and loving those games.

Your twisting words here. No people actually like f2p, see LOL, DOTA2, Tribes Ascend and Planetside 2. What they don't like is your implementation of f2p in your games, see that Simpsons travesty and TOR. Further people certainly don't like micro transactions in games that already cost 40.

We've seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL. Yes, really...

Well these people are clearly idiots, however what your trying to do here is lump genuine complaints about the practices of your company in with people who moan about frivolousness things that are in no why connected to the running of EA.

In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we're seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.

Do you want a medal or something? Congratulations you're a multi-million dollar corporation who took a stand against bigotry. But as above again your using diversionary tactics here to paint genuine complaints against you in the same category as bigots and best of all having the nerve to claim the moral high ground because of it.

You know if you don't want to be the worst company in a America for a second year running, I've got a tip for you. Just. Shut. Up. Just for a year don't say anything. I don't care how you do, block twitter accounts of high level employees, refuse interviews, gag your executives or beat them until it hurts them to talk, anything! Because everytime one of your guys opens his mouth the result is only controversy or worst, your stock value takes a hit. Just get out the firing line for a bit and let someone else take the heat. And while your there fire your entire PR team and start looking at the game companies that have good customer relationships and take some bloody notes.

EDIT

And in your defense, no you are no where near as bad as bankers and their ilk relatively but have to realize that your attitude has lumped you in with them. You have been stepping all over the very people you should be trying to please and it is biting you.

Xdeser2:

Still though, I'm glad Grey posted this without much opinion on it all, leave it a bit ambiguous lol

You have no idea how hard that was. Still, more material for Critical Miss I guess.

You know, I'm actually surprised they'd bother with something like this. You'd think they'd have learned by now that trying to change people's minds is pretty futile. It's like trying to convince an erupting volcano to just take it easy for a while.

EDIT:

Blandy Buchanan:

gigastar:
Im sure that Activision is a taller tree than EA, yet theyve done nothing to piss off this many people over the last 2 years.

I'm sure there are other companies far more deserving than a VIDEO GAME PUBLISHER.

Also this.

I want to believe that they can do better, but then...

Some claim there's no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong.
Some people think that free-to-play games and micro-transactions are a pox on gaming. Tens of millions more are playing and loving those games.

Yeah, just stop. Stop and walk away from the argument.

Pointing to how a bunch of other people like it won't change people's minds.

If this means something to you, stop with the "But my mom says I'm cool" approach and just...Try actually making a product people approve of.

Dexter111:
SNIP

Erm... pretty much this.

From a consumer standpoint, EA have been absolutely terrible on pretty much every front. When you've consistently ripped off customers, failed to deliver the quality experiences you promised, and shamelessly tried to milk your fanbase for every last penny they're worth, you can't be surprised when those same consumers start lashing back at you. Respect is a two way street. You want respect from your customers? Start treating them with respect.

I can't say I'm a particular fan of Valve. I loathe Greenlight, don't like the near-monopoly they have on PC digital distribution, and think a lot of their games are vastly overrated. You know what though? I don't expect to see Valve on any worst company lists anytime soon, because they at least know how to treat their fans with respect (most of the time). Even if I don't agree with some of what they do, I still can respect the fact that Valve got where they did by treating their fans with respect and having one hell of a good public relations team. EA on the other hand consistently spend their time shitting on their own fans, and that's a surefire way in this online connected age to land a whole load of shit on your head.

How did that DRM case against the German government turn out?

I don't think people have enough perspective here. Apple is worse, because they make all their produced in sweatshops made to make others work unbearable hours in terrible work conditions and safety hazards. But yet Apple isn't bad because they make those over priced products we've came to know and love.

Worse game publishing company? Yeah definitely. Worse company? Far from it, kittens.

gigastar:

I'm sure there are other companies far more deserving than a VIDEO GAME PUBLISHER.

"Some claim there's no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong."

Well, tell me, Mr. Moore- if you can- how many people installed Origin because they thought it was the best source for deals on games, and how many installed it because it was foisted on them by your company as a necessity to play your games?

Now, I'm not saying that Valve isn't guilty of the same thing with Steam, but I think the ratio of willing to unwilling users is much higher with Steam than with Origin.

Does this remind anybody else of the Labron James "What should I do?" commercial? Stop being a-holes.

Blandy Buchanan:

gigastar:

More deserving? Maybe.

Do i care about them? Nope.

Also using block caps on this forum is a fast way to lose whatever influence you might have in a discussion on theese forums.

''Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It's not. People still want to argue about it. We can't be any clearer - it's not. Period.

We've seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL. Yes, really...

In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we're seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.''

WOW. This is why you are the worst company. Statements like this.

Disregarding any argument by saying 'it's not. period'. Doesn't mean you are in the right. Seriously is that your argument??!!

45 million have registered on origin because THEY HAVE TO. I had to for Mass effect 3. I will never use it again...unless I feel like playing that one disappointing title again. I have not logged back in for 10 months!

Wow, trying to be the good guy because you are being attacked by the Fox news crowd. Like you are some major leader in LGBT rights. That's a new low.

Removing the always on component from your titles might go some way, also, quite stripping out content and selling it back as DLC.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
and having one hell of a good public relations team

I'm not entirely sure why this is crossed out, as it's pretty much spot on: Valve makes good games, but where they truly shine is salesmanship. The way they've made their customers love them for the chance to buy their stuff is a PR/sales masterclass in and of itself.

EA, on the other hand, is an equally perfect example in how to do it wrong. Quite entertaining, but wrong.
Now this doesn't put them quite in the same league as companies that have ruined countless people's lives, but as has been pointed out already: "not the absolute worst" still is pretty fucking terrible.

I still don't like the company, but I find it a bit nice to see his response. I find it kind of heartwarming to see a guy stand up for his beliefs.

I agree they aren't the worst company in America that said the specific points he outlines is utter BS

You can say all you want but it's obvious that it is. You can insist that pig is a chicken all day but that doesn't make it true

I don't care that you want to compete with Steam normally I'd even say ya it's a good thing but you've done shit all with origin. No good sales, no real feature improvements. Remember that roadmap you published when you launched Origin and it was basically just a reskined EADM with a friends list? Ya it's still just a reskinned Ea download manager with a friends list you've not put any effort into improving it. If you're gonna make us abandon steam to play your games don't tell us how awesome it's going to be and then not deliver.

Ya your F2P model for SWTOR is arguably the most anemic and worthless f2p model in the world. As for your other F2P models it is a pox upon gaming. You're doing F2P wrong.

I know nothing about this don't care.

Ya conservatives are stupid I don't care and I honestly doubt that many people are voting you the worst company because of that. Maybe it's because you take IPs, companies and other things we love and milk them until they are dead for profit. Often making stupid and short sighted decisions for the simple sake of perceived increase in profit that never materializes in the long run.

I never thought EA was the worst company in america. But I did think it was the worst publisher, and I still do.
I never thought the Sim City shit storm was a DRM scheme, but that doesn't change the fact that it failed, massively, and that's still on EA and Maxis. What? Is it okay that they failed us now just because "No, it was nothing sinister, honest!"
And yes, Mass Effect 3's ending was one thing we have no business blaming on EA.
EA, it doesn't matter if you're really the worst company, the point is, people think you are. Ask yourself, "why?"
It's not for no reason, you've screwed up a lot lately.
And uh, don't hold up your games and say "look what we did!"
Nobody has a problem with all the developers you own EA, we all love the game you put out, we just wish they weren't attached to you. We just wish you wouldn't pull bullshit tricks like Day 1 DLC, DRM (or what effectively ammounts to it) just because "it's okay, everyone's doing it!" and microtransactions in the darndest places. And for the love of god! Learn how to run an online digital distribution system! If you want people to migrate to it, you need to offer them incentive! LOWER YOUR FUCKING PRICES!!

Stand up for his beliefs? According to his response his beliefs are lies, misdirection, and blaming others.

GAunderrated:
I can't be the only one who read his bullet points going "bullshit....more bullshit....padded numbers.....and more bullshit"

Actually I read I think you're all stupid I think you're all stupid I think you're all stupid I think you're all stupid .

EA's big problem is their insistence on trying to piss on people and tell them it's raining. Stuff like SimCity's 'not DRM' being a prime example. It's a lot like Sony in the two years after the PS3's release actually, the disconnect between their public statements and the reality borders on the hilarious.

Any claims about achievements he makes can be wiped out with the following uncomfortable fact, EA's market value now is less than one third of what it was in 2008. If that doesn't scream 'you're doing it wrong guys!' I don't know what does.

Wow, he's really confident in himself.

I'll give him that.

Still a prick, completely off base, and ultra-denialist

but confident

EA is starting to cave in that some of its business practices are bad, but wont accept that micro-transactions and always online are a bad thing.....

KEEP VOTING THEM THE WORST.

Give it two more years and it may be gone.

Hell, I usually stand up for EA for not being the worst, but hell, if its getting progress, lets do it.

- Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It's not. People still want to argue about it. We can't be any clearer - it's not. Period.

Didn't some hacker already prove you wrong on Youtube, like actually PROVE you wrong?

- Some claim there's no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong.

Don't some of your games REQUIRE Origin to work? I think Steam do this to, I suppose thats just how things are.

- Some people think that free-to-play games and micro-transactions are a pox on gaming. Tens of millions more are playing and loving those games.

As long as its done with class EA... class!

- We've seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL. Yes, really...

Okay, this is petty as fuck, UNLESS were talking about that Michael Vick bullshit. That cunt should have been out of the running on day 1!

- In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we're seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.

Okay, good on you for at least taking a stance unlike some other companies, I'll gladly give you this one.

There are some truly disgusting companies based in America but as he said, EA has alot of online followers due to the nature of their buisness. It sucks for EA that users don't take the poll a little more seriously but thats asking people on the internet to act like adults... and well...

EA ar'n't going to read this thread, why are you all posting as if they will? Furthermore they don't care anyway. Give up, don't buy their games and complain to them not the escapist.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here