EA Really Doesn't Want to be The Worst Company In America

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Some claim there's no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong.

Isn't that because if someone wants to legally download a game published by EA, they have no choice but to use Origin since EA won't put its games on Steam anymore?

Capatcha: eggs ter min ate

Go home Capatcha, you're- I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I feel like going on a spree to every major homosexual activist forum currently supporting EA and educating the guys on how they're literally a PR move. Lets establish something. If you make games, 9 out of 10 times you're going to be liberal. Most people that have strong conservative/religious views have their creative capabilities impaired by having a roadblock on anything morally questionable (keywords "strong" and "most"). If you are a liberal, you PROBABLY already support gay marriage, so by my argument the majority of the gaming industry as a whole is totally cool with gay people.

Okay, that's established. Now, EA is showcasing their sexual openness in a way that's so strong that they make it sound like supporting gay people is an absolutely absurd thing, it isn't. My friends and I have uncountable jokes on this, we're waiting for the day when EA has a press release where they declare their entire workforce loves the cock, if anything it's incredibly pretentious that they really think what they're doing should be the sole basis for everything that we think of them, because (citation needed) I doubt there's any relevant demographic that hates them for being pro-gay in the first place. But then again, they aren't using the gay card to support gays, they're using the gay card for gays to support them.

This is what I feel we all want from EA. We want them to understand that they're idiots. Fumbling one release is a shame, but it's natural and not entirely murdersome. Fumbling EVERY release makes me wonder how they even exist.

I have here a list

They unanimously killed the latest Command and Conquer
Fifa 13 IS Fifa 12
Nobody even complains about Sims DLC anymore, we literally gave up there.
SWTOR crashed for being a retextured WoW without even having late-game content.
Dead Space 3 introduced paid game microtransactions
I have never seen a title as reputable as Crysis 3 go so under the rug
SimCity is SimCity
Everything else is mobile.

We don't hate you for being pro-gay, we hate you for being pro-shit.

You know, Peter, I have my own enmity against BoA, Comcast and Ticketmaster, but that bulletpointed autofellatio acting as a way to disregard your company's downright wretched business practices had me furiously clicking to the consumerist to register my vote towards EA's climb to its second golden shit.

EA is so mind numbingly stupid at running their company and making PR statements. This was their chance to reason with us and explain how they will fix some of the mistakes they tend to make. But instead they just say hey these games sold a decent amount of copies so the market proves us right.

Guess what if Origin had prices that actually kept up with Steam and Amazon and wasn't forced on consumers there wouldn't be 40 million people there would be 120 million. Plus they wouldn't just have renenue growth they would have revenue levels worth bragging about.

If Sim City didn't have connection issues and an always on connection and ingame advertisements disguised as DLC it would have sold millions more units.

If Dead Space 3 didn't have micro transactions less people would have pirated it.

If Battlefield 3 didn't require Origin during the middle of the Origin terms of service fiasco it wouldn't have sold 2 million but 10 million copies. They wanted it to beat Call of Duty and then crippled it at launch. Then they brag about the over 1 million sales figure because they are so stupid and incompetent they don't even realize what they could have had.

synobal:

Akalabeth:

synobal:

I don't care that you want to compete with Steam normally I'd even say ya it's a good thing but you've done shit all with origin. No good sales, no real feature improvements. Remember that roadmap you published when you launched Origin and it was basically just a reskined EADM with a friends list? Ya it's still just a reskinned Ea download manager with a friends list you've not put any effort into improving it. If you're gonna make us abandon steam to play your games don't tell us how awesome it's going to be and then not deliver.

Dude they had a massive sale on hundreds of games like three weeks ago. What are you talking about?

One of their few sales. Usually when I go to origin, there are no sales or like a 10% sale on some game that is four years old. Compare to say Valve that has sales all the time, and advertise them well. EA simply aren't going to do sales, they said a while ago they thing it devalues their IP. Despite the fact that they usually do the most damage to them.

Right, so your original comment "No Good Sales" is wrong then is it? That's what I thought.

The vitriol in this thread is actually kind of embarrassing to the point where I wonder if this is a forum worth participating in.

DVS BSTrD:
The tallest trees catch the most wind, are you are definitely blowing the most wind right now Peter Moore.

So that would make him a blowhard? XD Capitcha: Easy as pie. I LIKE PIE! XD

saintdane05:
I still don't like the company, but I find it a bit nice to see his response. I find it kind of heartwarming to see a guy stand up for his beliefs.

I totally agree. I don't get why everyone's getting up in arms about it. Its like this guy is up to his waste in shit and some of the shit is his and some of it came from other people (homophobes and idiots) and he's just like "Fuck this shit! I'm not dealing with it anymore!"

VoidWanderer:
Let me play Devil's Advocate for a moment, especially regarding SimCity...

Where is YOUR proof? We have EA saying it's not an online DRM thing, and we have Maxis, the people that actually MADE the game, saying it is not a DRM thing. Given that Maxis made a lot of other Sims games and games that 'encourage' multiplayer playing, like say DarkSpore? A game where you have to be online to play all the time... But nowhere near the same shitstorm... Also published by EA...

You mean after all the outrage at SimCity's always-on DRM, EA is trying to deny the charges put against them, and is directing Maxis to do the same? How uncharacteristic of them.

VoidWanderer:
So I can buy the 'not a DRM thing', Maxis are trying to get to a fanbase that are always online. While they are currently rumours about the new Xbox Console, with the Creative Director stating that "always is on" is okay, it does imply that this is the attitude that the CONSUMERS are giving the Developers?

How about how popular the multiplayer aspects of games are? Halo, Call of Duty, Battlefield, StarCraft 2, All of the MMOs, Gears of War, God of War, Counter-Strike, DOTA, LOL, and dozens of others...

Can you blame them for trying to get in on this action?

You can bet your sweet bippy we can blame them for taking a well-loved franchise with absolutely no need for multiplayer, and ruining it with badly-implemented, pointless multiplayer no-one asked for. Just like we can blame them for turning the Dead Space franchise from a claustrophobic, atmospheric horror game into a generic set-piece shooter.

VoidWanderer:
People buy these games to play in a social setting, because we are too lazy to set up LANs... Like it or not, and most of you won't, we are forcing the trend of video games to go this way... Look at the titles coming up, and how many of them have an online multiplayer component?

Some people buy some games for multiplayer. Those people are buying the CoDs and GoWs, but not the SimCitys.
This is EA's problem: they're reacting to and following trends, and applying them to every-damn-thing regardless of whether it works for a given game. We didn't ask for that.

VoidWanderer:
We asked for this, so just stop complaining about it, until you can PROVE that EA forced Maxis to do this...

And if/when you do rant at me, without any plausible evidence, my answer will be, 'Here's your paddle and the Nile is that way'.

Your plausible evidence is observation and knowledge of previous EA behaviour.

I can't believe how stubborn this moron is. The point of 'the customers always right' slogan is so you can make more people happy and make more fucking money! I miss common sense and when they're wasn't so many fucking idiots believing that popular means fact.

I'm just gonna ignore all the standard game-related bull and focus on one thing in particular.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back, I made a comment on how I was all for EA supporting LGBT rights and stuff, but I suspected that it was more for the PR then any moral reason.

And here they are saying "We suport LGBT rights and stuff, therefore we're not the worst company ever."

I just... I don't even think I can post what that makes me want to say. EA may not be the worst company ever, but they are certainly the most bloated, fetid, digusting, and outright HATEABLE organisation I have ever had the misfortune to witness, and their death cannot come quick enough.

I kind of stopped reading when he called Anheuser Busch a "mid priced" beer company. What kind of pisswater can you get for less than what they sell? I mean, the cheapest beer I know of is Natty Light, which surprise surprise, is made by AB. Even bud is only about a dollar a bottle, which is still on the cheap end. Heck, Michelob is right around that price, and that's their idea of a "premium" label. Mid priced for beer is more like $1.50, $2 a bottle. That's about the point you start getting into decent stuff from small to mid sized breweries.

Besides, the problem with Anheuser Busch's products isn't that they water down their beer[1]. It's that the beer has so little flavor it may as well /be/ water. It's not even brewed with barley, the main ingredient is rice.

For those of you living outside the US: We have some absolutely amazing beer made in this country. You just can't get most of it outside the country, and Anhueser Busch advertises so heavily you could be excused for thinking they're the only brewery in the country. Kind of like how most Americans are surprised when they first find out nobody in Australia actually drinks Fosters.

[1] they don't, check the ABV ratings, they're pretty much average in terms of strength, with their ice brewed products being slightly above average since a good portion of the water content was removed by getting the beer to a point between the freezing point of alcohol and water, and removing a portion of the water by skimming out the ice.

"The tallest trees catch the most wind," argues EA's Peter Moore.

Some of these complaints are 100 percent legitimate - like all large companies we are not perfect. But others just don't hold water:

• Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It's not. People still want to argue about it. We can't be any clearer - it's not. Period.
  • Some claim there's no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong.
  • Some people think that free-to-play games and micro-transactions are a pox on gaming. Tens of millions more are playing and loving those games.
  • We've seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL. Yes, really...
  • In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we're seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.

1: Always on connection, it's DRM no matter how you spin it, single player offline mode, was it really that hard and the majority of all this bullshit could've been avoided?
2: "Registered" - I'll hold my breath on how many use it on a regular basis.
3: Don't really follow F2P plays and the like, or play any games of that nature by EA, so skipping this point.
4: And? you cater to that demographic, I don't really see why you get to complain when sports titles are one of your largest money spinners.
5: You're claiming to be a "progressive" company yet are concerned over non-progressive people, if you were to turn that situation on its head LGBT groups would be voting you for worst company in America for caving into these people, I just don't fucking get this point at all.

Orks da best:

Yea after the whole mass effect 3 thing my support for most things of gamer culture fell into a black abyss, perma-like.
Its just painfully annoying that people harp on EA for the slightest thing, EA support homosexuality? Eh there trying to fool us.

Their treatment of homosexuality has been butter-fingered at best and offensive at worst. Things like all-gay planets in TOR make it clear that either they don't think about what their content means, or don't care.

Moreover, in the past, they've brought up their stance on homosexuality as a reason for the hate against them. Essentially all they are doing is lumping legitimate complaints with bigoted rants so that the legitimate complaints seem to lose their credibility. They try to convince people that the reason players hated Mass Effect 3 so much was because of homophobia, not any story or gameplay issues. Even if you disagree with how the ending was, can you not see that these are the workings of spin-machines to avoid bad PR with misdirection?

Then they spend this entire message talking about how their detractors are wrong, how amazing they are, how many players are have accounts somewhere (meaningless numbers). Basically they dismiss one complaint after another as being a jealous assault against their 'massive company'.

I mean, honestly, how sleazy can a company get before you stop defending them?

Oh, Lordy. EA, stop this. When you have a major PR problem--whether or not you believe it's your fault--you don't sit there and explain which problems you do and don't deserve blame for. When you're trying to appease a bunch of people who hate you, the last thing people want to hear are excuses, or "It's not our fault, really! We're the victims here!" The cold hard truth is that doesn't matter. That doesn't matter to your customers or your stockholders. The only way you can get people to stop blaming you for things you don't deserve is to fix the things you do deserve to be blamed for. People don't go out of their way to find reasons to be angry with Valve because Valve does so much good that even when problems do come up, they have enough goodwill invested in their customers that they are willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. That is the kind of grace that they have earned over a long period of unwavering customer service.

Even if you're still to proud to lower yourself to your customer's level and apologize even when it's not your fault (which is customer service 101), you can still do yourself a favor by not drawing attention to these things by saying "Attention customers: We hear you are angry about this thing we've been doing. Well, we've thought about it, and we've decided that you're wrong. Please change your minds soon so we can start to feel better about ourselves. Have a nice day."

In a situation where the customer is dissatisfied, you are always the culprit, and you are always to be sorry for what happened. Unless you are determined to kick the customer out of your sight and never do service with them again, you are to always be contrite. Period. It doesn't matter if they're wrong. It doesn't matter if there's nothing you could have done. It doesn't matter if they were just looking for reasons to be angry with you. The customer is ALWAYS right.

Dexter111:
I'd post this as a response on there, but unfortunately they have a rather low character limit on comments. xD

I'm not sure where you're talking about, but you can just post the link to your post.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.405150-EA-Really-Doesnt-Want-to-be-The-Worst-Company-In-America#16811547

That should be short enough I hope. Whether they know the truth of what you said or not, and whether they'd even read your post or not, they still need to have that posted at them.

This reminds me of those Kitchen Nightmares episodes where the owners know something is wrong, but they continue to make excuses for their failings and ignore evidence right in front of them.

Stop disrespecting your customers. If you continue on this path the bottom will fall out. Also, notice how convenience is such a profitable market? Maybe you should capitalize on that.

It really is as simple just listening your customer's needs and trying to please them. That's what valve did and we're throwing money at our computer screens.

I'm not going to say I'm a fan of EA, I've had plenty of problems with their business decisions and their stewardship of some beloved franchises. When THQ went out of business and EA was announced as a bidder on some of the studios I groaned like the rest of the internet.
I gotta say though, this post does give me a little more perspective on it. That maybe EA isn't quuuuite as bad as I always make it out to be. Maybe it's just the easy name to dump on? Whatever the case, Peter Moore, or whoever wrote the statement for him, did an excellent job with that press release. If that was ghostwritten by a member of the PR staff, promote that person immediately. And he does raise an excellent point; how is EA ranked worse than BP or any of the banks in America? EA may screw with some of my favorite franchises, but they don't pollute my oceans and cause national debt crises.

"Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It's not. People still want to argue about it. We can't be any clearer - it's not. Period."

This right here is why they definitely won't get best-company-in-America. Maybe it's true, this is as clear as they can be, and that is the whole problem.

Maybe they can change their company motto to "hey, come on, we could be worse, we could be ticketmaster!"

That whole thing last year for voting on the worst business in America was bullshit, or at least the way they handled it was. Think of the apples-to-oranges comparisons of companies like Sallie Mae & Ticketmaster. I also noticed that companies dealing with entertainment sales always beat out companies that can actually ruin lives. The voters did not have their priorities straight.

Talk about damage control, dayum.

Their money meter is running low half a billion. They need moar.

Evil Smurf:
EA is'n't going to read this thread, why are you all posting as if it will? Furthermore they don't care anyway. Give up, don't buy there games and complain to them not the escapist.

^YES!

I laughed so hard when I scrolled through all these comments saying, "WHY DON'T YOU LISTEN TO US" and then came apon your comment Evil Smurf. It just rings so much truth, EA wouldn't bother looking on a forum such as this one because the only feedback they look for is the dollar signs.

• Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It's not. People still want to argue about it. We can't be any clearer - it's not. Period.
  • Some claim there's no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong.
  • Some people think that free-to-play games and micro-transactions are a pox on gaming. Tens of millions more are playing and loving those games.
  • We've seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL. Yes, really...
  • In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we're seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.

1) They can keep claiming that all they want, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a fucking duck. Maybe they started out not thinking of it as solely DRM but as a way to implement online features, but I have little doubt that the execs at EA were happy when they realized it could pull double duty. Even still, it's one problem of many with that game from everything I've read.

2) I'm sure they can make origin look really successful when they purposely inflate the number of total users. Having 45 million registered users is not the same as having 45 million people who actually buy games using it, especially when many of those accounts were converted from previous Origin games. How many of those accounts did EA migrate on behalf of users?

3) Tens of millions of people enjoy playing slot machines. I say enjoy but what I really mean is they're addicted of course. I have no problem with free-to-play or microtransactions when they are implemented fairly and honestly. Now EA isn't exactly Zynga, but I don't think they're the poster child for those qualities just the same.

4) So a minority of customers are stupid? Doesn't mean every other problem people have with them is invalid just because one problem a few people have with them is.

5) They stood up and took a stand on one thing that was worthwhile. Credit where it's due.

bug_of_war:

Evil Smurf:
EA is'n't going to read this thread, why are you all posting as if it will? Furthermore they don't care anyway. Give up, don't buy there games and complain to them not the escapist.

^YES!

I laughed so hard when I scrolled through all these comments saying, "WHY DON'T YOU LISTEN TO US" and then came apon your comment Evil Smurf. It just rings so much truth, EA wouldn't bother looking on a forum such as this one because the only feedback they look for is the dollar signs.

Knowing the kind of idiots that get into these situations, they don't really listen to lower sales either. They just continue to make excuses.

They will stop getting this ridiculous "award" when they will learn to please their customers. Until that happens they'll continue to suffer for it. I know that there are worse companies - I might still buy an EA game, but I'll definitely not buy an Activision game in the near future, and haven't in the last few years. EA actually makes games that people care about, but they make some very anti-consumer business decisions. In the end, the angry consumers will prevail - EA know where their money comes from.

gigastar:
Im sure that Activision is a taller tree than EA, yet theyve done nothing to piss off this many people over the last 2 years.

Diablo 3? Every Call of Duty?

Frostbite3789:

gigastar:
Im sure that Activision is a taller tree than EA, yet theyve done nothing to piss off this many people over the last 2 years.

Diablo 3? Every Call of Duty?

The latter is subjectable. Not everyone hates Call of Duty. I wish they would take a break but as long as they stay fun I have no problem. At least when I get Call of Duty there isn't an online pass. As for Diablo 3, well at the time it was just as bad as the Sim City Dabacal.

The tallest trees certainly do catch the most wind, especially when they emit methane instead of oxygen and use their branches to chainsaw other trees.

All I see is questionable excuses and vague references used to make gamers look petty.

If anything this list is an extra reason to vote for them...

If we boycott we risk them killing off decent developers and they will just continue on existing off shovelware. There is literally nothing we can do.

Clearly we can't even make a dent in their ego either.

Grey Carter:

The tallest trees catch the most wind. At EA we remain proud and unbowed.

*sigh* .....I'll get the chainsaw.

Am I the only one who noticed the absence of "We keep buying and shutting down previously successful developers after forcing them to publish unfinished games that inevitably bomb... basically driving them into the ground" as a reason people might hate EA?

Yeah, there's really no good PR response to that one. I can see why Petey left it off his little list...

Dexter111:
snipped for verbosity

Wow, That is the most well written argument against EA I've seen put together in a long time. Cheers to you m8!

OT: If they don't want to be the worst company then they should change their practices, it is as simple as that. Stop trying to drag the world about by its wallet, and give half a shit about your customer and you will be set.

Bhaalspawn:

GAunderrated:
I can't be the only one who read his bullet points going "bullshit....more bullshit....padded numbers.....and more bullshit"

Prove it... prove it... prove it... and prove it.

OT: You know what EA? Give up. Honestly give up.

The people bitching about you make up something around less than 10% of your consumer base. And you know what? They will not stop buying your games. They buy them by the truckloads just so find something to bitch about.

You pretty much have 4,000 Bart Sibrels on your tail at this point. Just roll your eyes and keep making games. Stop taking the time to validate these people. They are not numerous enough to mean anything to you. All the rhetoric about "gamer revolution" or "the market will crash again!" is not being done by economic anylysts. It's being done by some 17-22 year olds sitting at their computers and whining against the keyboard all day and one fat british guy with a messiah complex.

Your games are fine, the occasional online-only game is not going to make anyone whither away and die. Do what George Lucas learned to do and just start jabbing them with the poker just to drink the delicious tears

You know, I really wish you wouldn't refer to people with very legitimate complaints as "bitching" it's very rude and, when you think about it, more than a little hypocritical.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here