EA Really Doesn't Want to be The Worst Company In America

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Dexter111:

That was beautiful, man. Just beautiful. Every nanosecond you spent writing that was 100% worth it. If there was ever a beautiful, well-written, comprehensive take-down of all the lies, bullshit and greed that EA has spewed out, that was it. I take my hat off to you, good sir!

well, one thing hasnt changed with €A after the CEO resigned. they are still full of shit.
this letter woulndt even fit inside 3 toilets with these stupid remarks. 45mill have an account with origin...HA. i dint even create an account because they used my account already from bioware.
im wondering how stupid they will look when they get voted again as the worst company.

Who cares?

It's an internet poll. Internet polls are pathetically easy to manipulate, and they are always manipulated by hordes of self-important people with half-cocked messages or dumb jokes. In this case a bunch of videogame nerds are angry over Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, Metal of Honor, and so on and so they will just overpower the poll because no one else gives that much of a shit.

EA is crap. A horrible company.

Still agree with the point of his letter though, in the larger scheme of things they're far, far from the worst company.

Just a whole lot of people on the internet without any sense of perspective voting based on silly things.

And yes, ruining your favorite game franchise is a trivially silly thing compared to some of the shit that's happening.

After reading the crap that EA posted I decided to look up the EA BBB rating. surely it must be poor right? nope A+

https://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/video-games-wholesale-and-manufacturers/electronic-arts-in-san-francisco-ca-64196#reasonrating

I highly recommend as informed consumers you spread this around and people can express how they feel about EA and all of their practices there hopefully.

Idiot, idiot, idiot, idiot. This is why EA is the worst company.

They do shit that's much worse than any other company by virtue of the fact that ALL of their fuck-ups are malicious, domineering and totally intentional.

frodough:
After reading the crap that EA posted I decided to look up the EA BBB rating. surely it must be poor right? nope A+

https://www.bbb.org/greater-san-francisco/business-reviews/video-games-wholesale-and-manufacturers/electronic-arts-in-san-francisco-ca-64196#reasonrating

I highly recommend as informed consumers you spread this around and people can express how they feel about EA and all of their practices there hopefully.

If you note that complaints regarding games (The only thing they do) should go to the developers who made the game, not the publisher who pushes the game out.

BBB doesnt take into account that Electronic Arts also OWNS the developers in question.

The fact that EA thinks its doing the right thing but its on the worst company in America candidate list proves they are wrong.

You cant be on a list for THE shittest company in America and claim to be anything but a shit company.

F*ck you EA you are terrible.

Desert Punk:

frodough:

If you note that complaints regarding games (The only thing they do) should go to the developers who made the game, not the publisher who pushes the game out.

BBB doesnt take into account that Electronic Arts also OWNS the developers in question.

You're referring to the note about SWTOR complaints being directed to Bioware in Austin Texas?

Better said, here:

http://goldengate.bbb.org/find-business-reviews/name/bioware/austin-TX/

Meaning they get filed to EA since BBB does indeed take into account that EA owns the developers.

While I don't think EA is the worst company and they don't really sell essential things (like medicine, food seeds etc.) "just" entertainment. They still are pretty much one of the biggest a**holes in the business with no idea how to run said business, surviving only on the giant amount of properties and creative people they own and employ (and then blame them when stuff goes wrong).

And this is one of the longer "*hands on ears* LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR WHAT YOU ARE SAYING, BUT I AM RIGHT AND YOU ARE STUPID LA LA LA LA" letters I've seen.

See the way I see it, of course EA isn't the worst company in America, that's ridiculous.

But this poll also doesn't actually affect anything what so ever, and frankly I would get the most enjoyment out of EA winning, because it's funny as shit.

Krantos:
Ugh.

You know, I want to be mad.

I want to raise a banner and point out all the flaws in Moore's argument.

I just can't dredge up enough emotion about it. I'm tired of you EA. I'm tired. All I will do is point out that "The Tallest Tree Catches the Most Wind" is basically the same as saying "People just don't like us because we're successful."

I can't do it anymore EA. Please just stop already.

The worst part of this is, it proves EA is confident in what it's doing. It doesn't think it's doing anything wrong and that it's detractors are wrong to complain. That. THAT is what wears me out.

I opened article thinking for one moment that EA was going to say something along the lines of "We want to improve our public image so people think more highly of us." Instead it's just more of the "Why to people hate EA?" bullshit.

I'm done. You won't learn EA. You won't admit you're doing anything wrong, so there's no hope of you ever improving.

^^^
This

I'm just tired of it all. Sorry if that's a defeatist attitude, but yeah, best thing for me to do in this situation is to not give EA any more of my time and money than I've already given them. Which is a shame because I really do like some of their developers and I feel bad for not supporting them.

bringer of illumination:
See the way I see it, of course EA isn't the worst company in America, that's ridiculous.

But this poll also doesn't actually affect anything what so ever, and frankly I would get the most enjoyment out of EA winning, because it's funny as shit.

Well it does effect who gets mailed a gold painted plastic poo trophy.

And that right there is the definition of serious.

I think that the letter in question from EA and the reaction people are giving it is just proving the point even more that EA's business practices are having long reaching consequences for the company.

Frostbite3789:

gigastar:
Im sure that Activision is a taller tree than EA, yet theyve done nothing to piss off this many people over the last 2 years.

Diablo 3? Every Call of Duty?

As much as i hate Call of Duty, its not actually done anything wrong.

And Diablo 3 was a pretty big cock up, but EA had the same cock up with SimCity, and many more besides.

It's been said before, but I have to chime in as well. "We support LBGT" is just basic human decency. To flag it as an achievement gives me a bad taste in my mouth.

Andy of Comix Inc:
I like that he says "people think free-to-play is a pox on gaming - tens of millions people are playing, though!"

Because that really disarms the "pox" analogy.

"People think the Black Death is a pox on Humanity - Tens of millions of people have it though!"

I suppose 45 million users is probably accurate, but considering i'm forced to use it for Mass Effect 3 and Simcity (+ Dead Space 3 which they gave me) even though i didn't buy it on Origin, i'm guessing this is where the majority of those users come from, given the choice i bet a large number would have brought it from Steam, i know i would have.

I'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who hates Origin too, the client itself works fairly well, hell the in game web browser loads a lot faster than Steams does. But then when you get to things like the chat system, that's where things go downhill. Half the time i don't notice when i get a new message as they don't make it very clear, the chat windows also keeps resetting to a stupidly small size. As i said it does have some good things going for it, but i still prefer Steam, especially when it comes to price.

If you've purchased an EA product in the time you've also had a conflict of conscience, you have less than no say in the arguments for why EA is bad for the gaming industry. You have shown direct support of EA and direct approval of their business practices.

This is purely subjective and has nothing to do with the reason why EA is terrible for the video game community. I do feel however, that if you have a problem with EA, but continue to purchase their products, you are hurting your own interests and have no merit in discussion of why EA is wrong. Clearly you don't think so if you're willing to pay them money for any item, regardless of price.

devotedsniper:
I suppose 45 million users is probably accurate, but considering i'm forced to use it for Mass Effect 3 and Simcity (+ Dead Space 3 which they gave me) even though i didn't buy it on Origin, i'm guessing this is where the majority of those users come from, given the choice i bet a large number would have brought it from Steam, i know i would have.

I'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who hates Origin too, the client itself works fairly well, hell the in game web browser loads a lot faster than Steams does. But then when you get to things like the chat system, that's where things go downhill. Half the time i don't notice when i get a new message as they don't make it very clear, the chat windows also keeps resetting to a stupidly small size. As i said it does have some good things going for it, but i still prefer Steam, especially when it comes to price.

the 45 million users line is... a bit of a fabrication. its 45 million REGISTERED users. I dont use Origin but I have an oprigin account from them converting an EA account I had for like the Sims 2 or such into an origin account.

Genocidicles:

Andy of Comix Inc:
I like that he says "people think free-to-play is a pox on gaming - tens of millions people are playing, though!"

Because that really disarms the "pox" analogy.

"People think the Black Death is a pox on Humanity - Tens of millions of people have it though!"

Black Death is 10/10, would contract again!

Grape_Bullion:
If you've purchased an EA product in the time you've also had a conflict of conscience, you have less than no say in the arguments for why EA is bad for the gaming industry. You have shown direct support of EA and direct approval of their business practices.

This is purely subjective and has nothing to do with the reason why EA is terrible for the video game community. I do feel however, that if you have a problem with EA, but continue to purchase their products, you are hurting your own interests and have no merit in discussion of why EA is wrong. Clearly you don't think so if you're willing to pay them money for any item, regardless of price.

Good thing I haven't bought a game from them in years.

EA you can't tell us not to vote for you because of your mistakes and lies, then reassert that they aren't mistakes or lies - you're just going to piss more people off.

Colt47:

Good thing I haven't bought a game from them in years.

You and me both.

You have to admit he got balls sporting an evil goatee while telling us they are good guys.

Desert Punk:

the 45 million users line is... a bit of a fabrication. its 45 million REGISTERED users. I dont use Origin but I have an oprigin account from them converting an EA account I had for like the Sims 2 or such into an origin account.

Yeah i guess I probably have 2-3, 2 being converted from my 360 days.

Xdeser2:

Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It's not. People still want to argue about it. We can't be any clearer - it's not. Period.

Enough to tell you that this letter is utter bullshit. Period.

In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we're seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America.

NO EA! You do not get to Spin the story and take the Moral high ground on this shit! Dont try to fool people by lumping these intolerant assholes with the people actually making legitimate complaints against your practices. You dont get to try to make yourself look progressive like that.

(As you can tell, Im a bit passionate about this lol)

I absolutely love your response. I really do.

On topic, allow me to handily translate everything that was being said.

*Many continue to claim the Always-On function in SimCity is a DRM scheme. It's not. People still want to argue about it. We can't be any clearer - it's not. Period. - Blatant lies. Demanding an Internet connection IS the standard DRM of today, a step up from serial keys and other such stupid-and-easily-subverted copy protection that plagued PC games before it.
*Some claim there's no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong. - You forced Origin on us by automatically converting people's EA accounts into Origin accounts. This number is at best padded, and at worst pulled right out of your ass. Furthermore, Steam has well over 130+ million Community Contributors ALONE.
*Some people think that free-to-play games and micro-transactions are a pox on gaming. Tens of millions more are playing and loving those games. - See above. Numbers do not automatically mean a yes.
*We've seen mailing lists that direct people to vote for EA because they disagree with the choice of the cover athlete on Madden NFL. Yes, really... - What's this got to do with anything?
*In the past year, we have received thousands of emails and postcards protesting against EA for allowing players to create LGBT characters in our games. This week, we're seeing posts on conservative web sites urging people to protest our LGBT policy by voting EA the Worst Company in America. - "You just hate us because we stand for LGBT rights!". No. Just no. Fuck you and your disingenuous attempt at taking a non-existent high ground to subvert your well-deserved reputation as the shittiest gaming-related company in all history. Shame on you for trying to exploit vulnerable individuals. For fucking shame.

The tallest trees catch the most wind. At EA we remain proud and unbowed.

Ęsop:

The Tree and the Reed

"Well, little one," said a Tree to a Reed that was growing at its foot, "why do you not plant your feet deeply in the ground, and raise your head boldly in the air as I do?"

"I am contented with my lot," said the Reed. "I may not be so grand, but I think I am safer."

"Safe!" sneered the Tree. "Who shall pluck me up by the roots or bow my head to the ground?" But it soon had to repent of its boasting, for a hurricane arose which tore it up from its roots, and cast it a useless log on the ground, while the little Reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over.

Well i can say he make a good case for the company, i don't approuve at all of many of the things they have done, but definetelly on many points they are attacked on the wrongs fronts for the wrongs reasons, and yeah there is worse than them

SadisticFire:
I don't think people have enough perspective here. Apple is worse, because they make all their produced in sweatshops made to make others work unbearable hours in terrible work conditions and safety hazards. But yet Apple isn't bad because they make those over priced products we've came to know and love.

Worse game publishing company? Yeah definitely. Worse company? Far from it, kittens.

Well a bad job better than no job in these parts of the world and you can take a defence of sweetshop... but i'm not gonna... yeah Apple is really put on a pedestal where it dosent deserve to be and i thanks you to say it

Dear EA,
You are not a tree. Trees take bad things and make them good. You do not do this. You are not a tree.

Worst company defends self with worst metaphor, fitting?

Well EA did work for it with their ridiculous DRM and locked out on disc content unless paid extra. They still deserve this award imo.

Misinformed Douche:
Some claim there's no room for Origin as a competitor to Steam. 45 million registered users are proving that wrong.

Not a competitor? I don't know if that's my reason for not wanting to be a part of the fascist "you lease your games, you don't own them" platform that holds my games as hostages and executes ALL of them on a whim, but I guess in the fantasy lala land of EA that doesn't count.
Steam does the same thing, but they don't steal from you, just because you quoted a curse word.

I became an involuntary member when I bought MA3 on a disc and it forced Origin on my computer. I could've read the tiny print on the back, but how silly of me to think that a game that basically requires an internet connection doesn't state it on the front.

So that makes me wonder, just how many people are forced to use it, like me, who just want to play a few games and have to suffer the shit-fest that is Origin? I'm betting a lot.

Dear Peter Moore, if you want EA to not have the title of worst company again, start by not screwing up your products, stop blaming your consumers, stop holding my games hostages and stop charging massive overprices for your games on Origin.

I'll give you an example; Simcity costs 67€ on Origin, the standard version. It costs 49€ for me to go down and buy a physical copy of the SAME game, which costs you shipping and production. Explain to me how you justify wasting resources and polluting our environment by forcing me to buy your shit in stores and STILL have me suffer your piece of shit gaming platform as well?

THIS is partly why you deserve the worst company title yet again, because you're greedy, arrogant, snobbish douchebags that always puts your own interests far above everyone elses. I might pay for your games, I might be a part of the problem by buying some of your products, but I will vote you for the worst company and I will encourage everyone I know to do the same, not because I don't like you, but because there is reason not to like you and your ridiculous post.

Dexter111:
MOTHEREFFING GINAT SNIP

Grah, don't you hate it, when the freaking first post of a thread is so ingeious that we should both close and sticky this thread and maybe make it obligatory reading for the entire escapist user base? >:C

OT: holy shit Moore's statement was so much foul-smelling hot air that it basically accelerated global warming by 75%. For Christ's sake, aren't there any sane PR managers at EA left? The only sensible advice to NOT fuck this up any further would be "shut up and stop fucking the customers anymore because no matter what bullshit you claim they don't like having their wallets raped"

http://consumerist.com/2013/04/05/ea-admits-it-can-do-better-but-blames-worst-company-success-on-homophobes-and-whiny-madden-fans/

Looks like the Consumerist made their own response to EA's statement.

Their claims that it's a conservative conspiracy are apparently in their own heads, because none of the traffic to the poll has been from any such websites.

I'm at the point where I'm beginning to wonder if EA is really trying to protect the LGBT community or if the LGBT label is being used as a shield from valid criticism.

Either way, EA is doomed here.

I'd agree these guys are no where near the worst, but they're small enough that losing this poll 2 times in a row is clearly upsetting them.

It's the simple pleasures in life my friends.

Dexter111 nailed it like a master nailsman, so there's not much left to say, but I thought the whole LGBT+ thing was something BioWare did and then EA just let them keep doing it. I can't say I've seen the same approach to LGBT+ in EA games that aren't made by BioWare. So yeah, EA, you just didn't tell BioWare to stop doing what they were doing and all of a sudden you're great LGBT+ crusaders?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here