California Senator Wants Fewer Guns in Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Roelof Wesselius:
50 dollars she's a proud card carrying member of the NRA.

OT: Dear Americans if you want to be viewed in a less negative light don't elect these people.

That's a poor bet. This is Diane Feinstein, someone who many of us figured would be taking part in the fight against guns. I think we were hoping she'd work on real guns first.

Ugh. This woman is pretty awful. Also, I feel like I should point out she's a Democrat because with this issue, most might assume she's a Republican. Just dropping some knowledge. Regardless of her party alignment, I still do not like her. Video games are the least of the problems out the there, lady.

Stryc9:

canadamus_prime:
But we don't want fewer real guns in the hands of people now do we?

Well, she wants that too, she just clearly doesn't understand how the Constitution works like all other politicians.

I could go on a rant about that too.

Hagi:
Is there some sort of conspiracy going on to make the states look as horrendously idiotic as possible?

Because seriously, this sort of thing seems to be a special case of stupid not found anywhere else...

I'm wondering if there's a minimum idiocy requirement before you're allowed to run for government in the US.

SecondPrize:
snip

Yeah you're right wrong joke for her
Can you edit that out of your post i don't want to get 20 posts correcting that mistake?

canadamus_prime:

You might want to look at the record of the woman in question. Senator Feinstein was behind the Assault Weapons Ban in the 90s and the proponent of the current one, including some of the toughest regulations out there.

I hope you were kidding, and not in the way that's most obvious, but people have been so straight up on not doing the research around these parts that my radar's fried.

Anyway, I support most of her initiatives on guns, but this one's inane.

She can take pry my shooters from my admittedly pacifistic cold, dead, arthritic, cheetos-encrusted hands!

RatherDull:

If I had to point at one thing and say 'That is the reason," personally put the focus on mental health and depression. After all, there is a proven link between depression and shootings.

[citation needed]

That being said, gun obsession makes it really easy for people with mental health issues to get firearms. You know, since we have a lobby who doesn't even like the mental health restrictions we have now, never mind opposing stricter ones. The fear that '[whoever] don gon take awr guns!' leads the the refusal to follow even the most sensible steps for dealing with gun violence, including mental health and criminal issues.

If mental health issues are something you consider a big deal, then gun obsession is something you should consider key as well.

Stryc9:

Well, she wants that too, she just clearly doesn't understand how the Constitution works like all other politicians.

Well, that's clearly not true. She defended herself adequately on Constitutional precedent when grilled by the Senate.

SecondPrize:
I think we were hoping she'd work on real guns first.

She tried. They shot her down (no pun intended). I guess this is her new direction. >.>

amazing. and people say that gamers live in a fake world. when actually these people are the once who live in a fake world and think stupid regulations like that would wash away the problems.

California is a ridiculous state wherein the people keep re-electing ridiculous "representatives." Feinstein needs to be removed ASAP.

And I want fewer politicians talking about guns in games but we can't all get what we want.

I also wouldn't mind a unicorn...just sayin.

Speaking as an outsider, I find American politics to be a complete joke and yet somewhat disconcerting, since people that are involved in it don't seem to be in on said joke.

That all being said, I'm pretty sure this won't go anywhere. It is just another old wrinkle-bag latching onto the first scapegoat she could see without her glasses on. By the looks of that photo, she has one foot in the grave, so I'm pretty sure we can just wait her out.

This is my serious face.

I am taking this seriously.

Finally, something democrats and republicans can agree on!

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... .... ...... ........ ....... ...... ..... .... . .... .. . . . . . . . . . . .

Entitled:

RatherDull:

I don't think it is the gun obsession at all.

I'm not in favor of the "Govment dun take our guns hurr durr" bit everyone in my state is spewing, but the reason these shootings keep happening is far more complex than anyone seems to realize.

If I had to point at one thing and say 'That is the reason," personally put the focus on mental health and depression. After all, there is a proven link between depression and shootings.

But state of mental health in the eyes of the public is in such a poor state. People just ignore it or assume it doesn't exist and that it's all made up. But depression is a real thing and it is not the victim's fault.

There is also a proven link between access to guns and violence.

As a matter of fact, there is even a proven link between access to guns and SUICIDE: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/means-matter/means-matter/risk/

Simply by being there, guns can influence what we think and what we do.

Even though OBVIOUSLY deppression is what causes suicides, just because a certain concept is a "cause", it would be a sing-cause fallacy to assume that others CAN'T be causes.

I just want to put this out here man, but Criminologist actually dont see an increase access of guns as a direct link to violence. They see a correlation between the two, but it isnt a direct link between the two.

Trust men, I seriously just learned about it this week from a Criminology course from a Criminology professor over that -exact- topic.

Don't worry; the blood of innocents isn't cheap at all. I'm sure that in the terrible future where this law is somehow passed and enforced, after about 2 more mass murders involving mentally unstable people who may or may not have played super mario world 3 for more than 15 minutes at a time at some point within their life, people will realize that regulating video games isn't helping anything.

Plus, as stated in the article, this law would be wholly asinine and incredibly difficult to get past its opponents.

Apparently, we've learned nothing from the Hayes Code and the Comics Code Authority.

Just took one look at the lady's picture, then I was not surprised.

...Yes, I get it, Dianne. Your grandchildren or your grandchildren's friends play video games, and they freak you out. Could you at least try to keep abreast of the fact that the age of the typical player of video games now averages out to around the mid-thirties so we can stop singling out video games in the ongoing "won't someone think about the children" drum-beat?

mattttherman3:
Just took one look at the lady's picture, then I was not surprised.

I thought i recognized her. Wasn't she in the Goonies?

Zachary Amaranth:

canadamus_prime:

You might want to look at the record of the woman in question. Senator Feinstein was behind the Assault Weapons Ban in the 90s and the proponent of the current one, including some of the toughest regulations out there.

I hope you were kidding, and not in the way that's most obvious, but people have been so straight up on not doing the research around these parts that my radar's fried.

Anyway, I support most of her initiatives on guns, but this one's inane.

She can take pry my shooters from my admittedly pacifistic cold, dead, arthritic, cheetos-encrusted hands!

Well I wasn't aware of that. And no I wasn't kidding. Now just to be clear, I'm not of those extremist yahoos who thinks that no one should be able to have guns ever, however I do find it incredibly stupid that they'd rather limit the fake guns in video games rather than the real guns in real life which are the ones that are actually being used to commit the shooting massacres.

Yet another reason I don't like Sen. Feinstein. Her pet project(the AWB) is dead(at least for this year) and now she needs a new one, which is even more inane then the AWB was.

Good job, Sen. Feinstein*slow clap*. Good Job.

I expect the next article on her to read something like "Old lady yells at cloud".

You'll have to pry my fake guns from my cold, dead, virtual hands. I sure hope she decides to standardize this across the board: no more mentions of guns in music and literature and no more guns in movies.

Ahh. The more things change, the more they stay the same.
"Think of the childrens!" pariah-politics being peddled by some of the highest level figures in my government.

You go right ahead with your "digital gun restriction". It's adorably stupid, and currently, unconstitutional.

As for everyone else going "Why do you elect those idiots?"...Video-Games (in general) are *not* a hot-button topic during election season. Games really only get brought up in the interim, and always after some psycho guns down a bunch of people.

Politicos in the US are just as reactionary and exploitative as the mainstream press on such subjects, and just about as level-headed. It isn't innate idiocy, it's band-wagon pandering to the idiots who keep them in office. (and this is the real danger of low voter turnout in the US; those irrational idiots are also the most likely to vote)

90sgamer:
California is a ridiculous state wherein the people keep re-electing ridiculous "representatives." Feinstein needs to be removed ASAP.

I'd say that's the entirety of the U.S. in a nutshell. After all, our presidential election came down to two of the worst candidates we could of had imho (I'm still baffled about that). Then again, you guys did vote in Schwarzenegger of all people. :P

F'Angus:
And I want fewer politicians talking about guns in games but we can't all get what we want.

Here you go!

Captcha: "wing it" Psychic Captcha strikes again!

FEichinger:

PoolCleaningRobot:
//

Jeez, cut down the hostility. I was generalizing. Neither the entirety of Europe, nor the entirety of the US fits what I described there. But if it wasn't the majority of people respectively, the world would look differently.

Making sweeping generalizations about a country tends to cause hostility, especially when they finish reading the sweeping generalizations of an idiot politician as well.

Classic crazy Liberal that wants to control everything that people can see, own, and do. So many truly important matters that actually need talked about and dealt with and she wants to continue the "Guns are bad! Derp! They cause all the bad things! Derp!" attacks. I think any government official that wants to take time on such frivolous unimportant matters, needs to lose their pay for that year, a couple months at least.

CriticalMiss:
'Out of touch old woman angry at vid-yo-gayums' would make a better headline. How do these people get voted in to power?

Very simple, she's a Liberal and she is from California, it isn't hard to see how?

thethird0611:
I just want to put this out here man, but Criminologist actually dont see an increase access of guns as a direct link to violence. They see a correlation between the two, but it isnt a direct link between the two.

Trust men, I seriously just learned about it this week from a Criminology course from a Criminology professor over that -exact- topic.

Is that on the individual level or the national level? Because the omnipresence of guns in America has a greater statistical effect than "access to guns". For instance, the cultural obsession/glorification of firearms changes the likelihood of their use, and the nature of said use, not to mention that while there may be no direct link between access to firearms and the rate of violent crime, I'm willing to bet there's a direct link between access to firearms and the rate of violent crimes which result in the death of the victim.

CriticalMiss:
'Out of touch old woman angry at vid-yo-gayums' would make a better headline. How do these people get voted in to power?

I don't know. I have some ideas though. One of the largest reasons I believe is that of the voters themselves. We have constant people who vote without any real reason or thought. They don't look into the issues and vote primarily on biases. Hell, my parents are perfect examples of this. They refuse to vote for anyone who is independent or democratic just for the single reason of them not being republican. It doesn't matter if the Republican's views go against theirs and the other parties are more in line of what they wish to accomplish, they ignore it completely just because they aren't in the same party as them.

We then have the ones who are intelligent and actually do pay attention, but don't vote for various reasons. Whether or not that it is because they are too young (surprising, I know. However I have met plenty of brilliant young teens who know what the hell is going on and how to attempt to fix our nation, but can't vote because they are not 18 years old).

There is also the group of people who just don't get it. They were raised to believe in what their parents believed. They don't open their eyes or minds and actually think (much in line with the first group I mentioned). They were born and raised to believe that hard work is all that matters or one's who are just simply not that intelligent and put the blame on the thing they have never tried to understand. Years ago, it was violent slasher flicks and movies in general. This is especially prevalent in parents of this age. They refuse to blame themselves for their children's or other children's failings and instead blame the thing the first thing they see that is most prevalent in their lives, this being video games. The last group also contains those who were born long before video games became a thing that existed. These old men and women just don't see the use of it, don't see the artistic qualities or fun that can come from it. They are close-minded to only the things they were taught and grew up with.

Those are the main reasons why I believe morons get voted into office.

Also the fact that it IS California. And for some reason, I don't know why, but I fucking HATE california so I may be a bit biased.

I think we're getting outraged over the wrong thing. Sure, she's blaming video games on real life problems, but let's take another look at this. She wants the government to step in to make there be fewer guns in games?

How the hell would that even be managed? Are games going to have quotas on the number of guns they can have, or is it going to be a quota on how many gun games can be released per year?

Two things.

Firstly the source given uses the term "assault weapon" several times without getting it wrong or saying "assault rifle" by mistakes. Journalists, take note.

Secondly, this seems to be calling for reduction of guns in games, not a change in how the guns are portrayed. Surely if you want to go down that road you should draw a distinction between playing as a police officer who is forced to shoot criminals in the line of duty, and playing as a criminal shooting police offices for lulz?

StewShearer:
Senator Dianne Feinstein has suggested the government should pass in-game gun restrictions if the game industry doesn't self-regulate.

Doesn't the video game industry have better self-regulation than any other form of media?

I don't know about you guys, but the day video games stop being a scapegoat can't come soon enough. Then again, the day politicians stop being idiots can't come soon enough either, but that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

Really? Nobody posted the obvious Carlin vid?

Going after fake guns/games gets cheering crowds and plenty of bribes "campaign donations" from pro-gun lobbyists.

Going after REAL guns gets you jeers, death threats, rape threats if you're a woman and the full financial opposition of the NRA come election season.

It's all about where the money and PR is. Plus the gamers are far less probably to try and assassinate you for even considering passing legislation.

Hmm... she wants to restrict the game industry. Odd... I don't remember people at Sandy Hook being attacked by DVD and Bluray discs.

Also, if you are treating it that way I want to use the 2nd Amendment to protect my right to bear digital arms.

canadamus_prime:

Well, obviously that would be absurd.
/sarcasm

Silly California. Your politics are just as crazy as Texas, but on the other side of the political spectrum.

...actually, I'm from Oklahoma, so I can't really make fun of other states' crazy politics, can I?

V da Mighty Taco:

F'Angus:

Here you go!

Captcha: "wing it" Psychic Captcha strikes again!

HURRAH! Thank you. :D

Now if we could only get the politicians to stop with game talk too. :/

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook