Rumor: Next-Gen Xbox Will Cost $300-$500, Be Always-Online

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Can we for a second forget about the user side of the always on internet otherwise the console shutsdown.
This means that microsofts servers will have to be online always too surely? What happens during maintenance? Do we get to not play at all during that time?
Also I have a feeling that the OS will be like windows 8. Really shite! (also sorry if it currently looks this way, I gave my 360 to my nephew about a year ago, after not using it since halo reach came out)

Britisheagle:
And so begin the "I need a PC" messages. Steam requires you to be always online, it does work offline, yes, but barely. My internet went down last week and I thought Shogun would be a good game to play during this down time and it wouldn't launch as I had not updated it when I installed it because I wanted to go on something else.

Also, you can't get preowned games on PC, at least some console games allow split screen to differ to this.

So cheaper games? Yes that would work. An always online console would be welcome if we could have always online prices, that would get a purchase from me. If not, PS4 it is.

I would also like to say I am a PC gamer as well as Xbox and I love my PC far more than my console. I am just stating that it does have it's moments, such as Steam servers going down mid way through a ranked match and getting a loss, no preowned market and games that you pay money that then don't work for whatever reason (and receiving no help what-so-ever from Steam and having to spend time on forums looking for player support instead). Overall it is a far superior platform, however, and if Microsoft believe that they can match, if not better, this system then I would like to see them try.

I am pc gamer for more than the reasons listed: shiny pixels.

But I have to agree and disagree with your take on no "used games" on steam. While yes there are no "used" games, there is something that happens often enough and close enough to releases to take note. Sales, Steam loves em and the whole idea of used is get the game for cheaper and it works just like console used games, as in the closer to the actual release date the sale occurs the lesser the % off the buying price. The only time I see this actually being beneficial to the console side is a very poor game with large amounts of trade ins close to the release date, making the price fall because everyone now knows it is bad and the store is sitting on a backlog of used games and still got a lot of new copies.

The problem with "Always Online" isn't my internet connection, as that's up 99% of the time.

The same cannot be said of Microsoft's servers.

When my connection craps out, fine. Stuff breaks. Sometimes the roads are closed blah blah blah. What I have a problem with is Microsoft determining what games I can and cannot play. They might not have DRM or block used games, but if I have to rely on hardware thousands of miles away that could go out for hours at a time to say that I can play a single-player game, we have a problem.

And then it's likely that the servers won't be functioning in ten years and my entire game library will be garbage.

In short, even if my hardware is fully functioning, there is no guarantee that at any point in time I will be able to play a game I payed for. That is utter bullshit.

Well, I know one thing.

If they make it always online required I won't be buying an xbox.

Even less likely if they make me pay extra for the service.

Not even a new elderscrolls would be enough to get me to buy into that level of BS

Teoes:
Re: possible mandatory Kinect..

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but for those who count this as a big negative towards the console through the thought of being spied on - has anyone considered draping a blanket over it or leave it facing the corner with a dunce's cap on when it's not in use? I'm not being facetious, I wonder about this being a legitimate way around that particular unsavoury (possible) aspect.

It's a downside whether or not it spies on you. It means devs will be putting more shoddy motion controls in their games.

Hmm has anyone stopped to think this might be all part of a plan by Mircosoft to finally get rid of thier console divsion. It's been stated before that the Xbox is like the red headed step-child. So whats to stay they are saying all this stuff knowing gamers will hate it and they can finally say "See the Xbox isnt making us money....let's go back to making computers"

Aka $600 to $1000 down here in Australia.
Sigh our money is on equal with the US now yet everything is almost double the price.
It just makes me feel punished for living somewhere other than the US.

Zachary Amaranth:

Ronack:
Hey look, it's the Titanic 360

That's unfair. The Titanic actually had to hit somethign to sink.

*rimshot*

Yeah, it's not like the Titanic had an iceberg built into the actual hull.

OT: It's odd that despite the clunky touchscreen controller of the WiiU, it feels like it has less bullshit than Sony and Microsoft's next console.

Meanwhile at Sony headquarters, high fives and champagne.

Trilliandi:
...Well, this just made my morning if it turns out to be true. I have never liked X-Box, it never had any games that made me want it, it's online community scared me to no end, and I want nothing to do with it's controller. So having said that, awful nice of Microsoft to do themselves in like this if it's true.

so basically you're saying "This product doesn't appeal to my specific interests, Therefore it deserves to fail"

Casual Shinji:

*rimshot*

Yeah, it's not like the Titanic had an iceberg built into the actual hull. [/quote]

Or tried to tell people that an iceberg in the hull was a feature.

#dealwithit

So if this were to be true, would you be able to play it via LAN with your friends?
Since you're not technically connected to the internet, because it is in this situation simply not needed.

I'd heard that the 720 would start at $1200. I'm still not sure whether this is better or worse than that.

I wish I was this god damn stupid, because that's apparently the way to rise in the gaming industry.

at this rate, it looks like the "next gen" for me is a lot less gaming in my life lol...
don't get me wrong I love me some games, but life is starting to kick off and I can't be dealing with this nonsense anymore sigh

There is no good reason for always online. Period.

I guess I'll be going back over to Sony.

Primero Holodon:
so basically you're saying "This product doesn't appeal to my specific interests, Therefore it deserves to fail"

Well if it succeeds then it'll set an awful precedent for gaming. We could end up with every console requiring an online connection.

If it is 'always online', then it must fail for the good of the gaming.

If Microsoft does do this always online thing, and I sincerely hope it doesn't, I will not be getting the next Xbox, even though I do have a pretty good, reliable, internet connection. Because principle. Also, that means I won't be able to finish the new Halo trilogy, and that sucks. So, please, don't be dumb, Microsoft.

Didn't the exact same "Always online" rumor creep up about the PS4, mere weeks before Sony finally released solid info about the console?

I'm starting to see a pattern here. The companies are aware of how sensitive of a hot-topic this is that they "accidentally leak out" rumors about it being always-online, causing people to rant about it all over the interwebs. Then few weeks later the official word comes out, quelling down those fears; a brilliant marketing ploy, under the "no such thing as bad publicity" assumption.

Or, of course, it could turn out to an always-online console, meaning that decision heads behind it are dumber then dirt, and ended up dooming this console on day 1.

I have a fairly decent internet connection at present, but even so, there have been a number of times when my 360 fails to connect, takes a long time, or drops the connection in the middle of a game session. At present, it doesn't cause any real problem for me, as it is just a pop up message or one more screen to click through on my way to a game, but if such an outage were to prevent me from accessing content that I paid for (and probably paid 60$-70$ for, since the main reason to go always-on is for DRM to ensure that the used games market dries up), then it would be a major issue.

I don't play multiplayer games. I don't concern myself with trying to climb leader boards. When I actually GET the time to play a game, I want to play the game. I don't want to compete with some kid who spends 24 hours a day on the damn thing. I play games for story and game play.

Now, if always on drm removes the threat of piracy (hint: it wont), that might be acceptable IF it means we get to pay less for the new games. (Not holding my breath, no offense.)

In any case, I'd rather see developers try to make games that were worth keeping, and not just because of dlc tricks, unless they actually contribute something meaningful to the game.

I adopted the XBOX after getting frustrated with a pair of hardware fails during my PS2 days. I stayed with 360 because I was more interested in western developed games that promised more interesting content instead of Eastern developed games that promised amazing visuals in their cut scenes.

If Microsoft continues to jerk its player base around (I loved the original desktop/theme for the 360. I hated that they jumped on the nintendo Mii bandwagon and revamped the whole interface around it) this generation might see me convert back to worshiping at the altar of Sony.

Ed130:
Just when the Adam Orth Twitter mess was dying down this pops up.

And only 3 minutes? I've had my internet spazz out for half an hour at least once a month.

30 minutes once a month? That's it?
You're lucky to get away with that.

Anytime some fuckwad on my grid binges on Torrenting, *I* get throttled down to near-dialup speeds because the ISP is too fucking lazy to buck up its hardware.

Product Placement:
Didn't the exact same "Always online" rumor creep up about the PS4, mere weeks before Sony finally released solid info about the console?

I'm starting to see a pattern here. The companies are aware of how sensitive of a hot-topic this is that they "accidentally leak out" rumors about it being always-online, causing people to rant about it all over the interwebs. Then few weeks later the official word comes out, quelling down those fears; a brilliant marketing ploy, under the "no such thing as bad publicity" assumption.

Or, of course, it could turn out to an always-online console, meaning that decision heads behind it are dumber then dirt, and ended up dooming this console on day 1.

An astute observation.
But this "PR loading" could backfire.

Rumor: Always-Online, PR loads negatively (both cases)
i) Rumor was false. Negative hype dies down.
ii) Rumor was true. Negative hype multiplies.

At this point, I'm not ready to jump to any conclusions. I don't think an "always on" system would phase me much, but even the terminology right now is vague. It may be "always on" for some things but not all. I can't imagine they'd literally say "well, if you don't have an internet connection, don't even bother buying or playing this console or single player games".

I think when people read "always online" they are perhaps giving it more meaning than it deserves without knowing more about the console and how it will work first.

I'll likely buy it, though. My Xbox without internet would be crippled - I now consider it part of the experience.

TwistedEllipses:
Rumours are rumours, but at the moment saying it might use babies as power is pretty much the way for it to sound more like a step in the wrong direction...

...I mean, why have nearly all the recent consoles failed to be backwards compatible? Is it on purpose?

If they built them to be backwards compatible it would cost more money. Aside from being a blu-ray player, the backwards compatibility in the early PS3 is what caused it to cost so much.

Erm... There is not a single thing in there that sounds good. Always online, relatively expensive, and not backwards compatible. I really don't know what Microsoft is thinking with this... Are they trying to rely on the specs to carry the console, or what? Because there aren't enough exclusives to make me get it at launch, and the Halo/Gears duo isn't going to be nearly enough to make me get the console ever. The last generation I got a 360 because it was less expensive, convenient, backwards compatible, and had games I liked. Now they're making it inconvenient, expensive, and with fewer games that I like, and I won't be able to play my 360 games on it... I'm seriously baffled how Microsoft's marketing department is getting away with any of this. They're usually halfway decent about these things.

Genocidicles:

Primero Holodon:

Well if it succeeds then it'll set an awful precedent for gaming. We could end up with every console requiring an online connection.

If it is 'always online', then it must fail for the good of the gaming.

See, I'm okay with that reasoning, It's more just that He's happy at the prospect of xbox failing not because of it being always-on but simply because he doesn't like xbox. I don't like the wii-u but that doesn't mean i think it deserves to fail.

Well, this sounds like a dumb idea. I get that this is Microsoft, but even they must see the idiocy in this.

Still, if we're to comment on a rumour; based on this, I'd say it will be current (or last, depending on how you're viewing all this) gen all over again, just reversed. Sony has the cheaper but perfectly capable console that will get better sales volume while Microsoft has the more expensive power house.

Still, as part of the master race, I honestly couldn't care less.

/pretentiousdoucheyness

720 rumors are old hat. The word on the street is that the 1080 will require a constant supply of blood and stool samples.

Britisheagle:
And so begin the "I need a PC" messages. Steam requires you to be always online, it does work offline, yes, but barely. My internet went down last week and I thought Shogun would be a good game to play during this down time and it wouldn't launch as I had not updated it when I installed it because I wanted to go on something else.

This may only apply to select games, though. I have a friend who is always playing Steam games offline - partly because he sometimes uses my account and freezes the client so that I can log back in and play my own stuff - and I have numerous games that have absolutely no problem running if I tell it to stay offline.

Maybe this is only an issue if you're playing games that don't require internet connections to begin with.

By the way, sites like GOG don't have clients or Always Online requirements, and they're starting to sell more modern games, so that's another route to go with. I typically use them for the old games they were famous for putting back up on the market. Never needed to go online to play King's Quest or Legacy of Kain!

ANYWAYS.. the idea of a console that must be online at all times disappoints me. But to be honest, the Xbox 360 ALREADY has this requirement if you want to collect achievements. I remember clearly the anger I felt at getting most of the achievements in Smackdown vs RAW 2010 while my internet was out for a while, only to discover that when I logged back in they all went away and I had to reobtain them.

Bit of a completionist, I'm afraid, so that kinda left a sour taste in my mouth. Now I don't touch the Xbox if I can't log into Xbox Live. I usually turn to my PS2, Wii or DS/3DS when that happens. Or, you know, watch TV, read a book, etc...

Sure, a rumor is a rumor, but to release a console which will shut down when somebody within the area uses a microwave just strikes me as mad.

http://xkcd.com/654/

Escapist, if you are part of the press conference at E3, all I ask is that you ask this one question for me and all the gamers out there...

"How did you collect and review the research that made you decide that the new Xbox is always-online?"

Don't let them refuse to answer the question. Don't let them give a short answer, don't let them go on until this question is answered fully and thoroughly. Get the HOW, the WHO, the WHAT, and the WHERE of this research, and with that information let it pour out so that gamers can explain how the research that went into the new Xbox is the likely the most incomplete and biased piece of research that has ever went into a product.

Seriously - I think it's time to ask where the hell is the research that pushes forward business decisions like this. Either someone's not willing to put in an effort to get the full picture, or someone is fabricating the results so that their suggestions appear to be proven instead of the opposite.

If I do buy a console this generation, It would probably be a Sony. I'm not too mad about the new Playstation, but with every leak about the new XBox, it looks better. Sony also have more titles I'm interested in at the moment, at least on the PS3, hopefully they will continue this with the PS4.

Mr.Mattress:

Yes, it looks like it might be a Nintendo/Sony competition again, with a 3rd company (This time Microsoft) in a very distant third. Unlike the N64 vs. PS1 however, I have a feeling the WiiU's probably gonna keep the lead on the PS4, at least for a majority of it's life span.

People keep dissing the wiiU as a failure out of the box, but what they fail to factor in is neither the PS4 nor the Nextbox has done anything yet but come out and piss people off before they even hit store shelves. I don't think Nintendo will be in the lead this gen, but they won't do as bad as people think... not when then their competition is too busy trying to look as unappealing as possible. People also don't factor in that the games for the wiiU aren't out yet; not the ones that are system sellers. When those come out THEN we can make actual measurements of the console's success or failure.

CriticalMiss:
Wait, so you have to pay for the hardware, then pay a subscription to USE the hardware and also pay for an internet connection so that it works at all? Not to mention that you are being spied on by your mandatory Kinect and having adverts pushed in your face on the dashboard (if the current XBL is a sign of what is to come). I don't think Microsoft like their customers much but love their money.

I agree with all this except for the part about the adverts "being pushed in our face". They are tiny moving boxes that don't even make noise unless you scroll over them. I don't even notice they are there 90% of the time.

Karadalis:
You know.. being forced to have a kinect with every new xbox... this sounds like some awfull batman villain plot to somehow take control over the world utilizing some secret device build into the kinect XD

Still wondering if the Riddler or the Joker would come up with that first...

jim carrey as the riddler already did something of the like

im gonna just wait till they announce this as official before making up my mind

I should reread this article. I don't remember reading anything except for "You should probably buy a pc for gaming." I must have missed something by reading too quickly. Or maybe I didn't...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here