Capcom Killed Gritty Mega Man FPS

Pages PREV 1 2

WanderingFool:

StewShearer:
According to sources familiar with the project, Maverick Hunter would "be like taking an 8-bit game that doesn't have a very deep story to it, and then building around it and keeping some of the key pieces intact." Focusing on the theme of man versus machine, the developer had been in preparation to produce a trilogy in which X, the returning protagonist of Mega Man X, eventually becomes jaded from fighting robots like himself and turns on his creators. The third game in the trilogy would have gamers playing as Zero, another returning character, trying to stop X.

Okay, I know very little about the story of the X series, but even I can tell that there would be endless bitching about that. Almoast as much as talking about voice acting or female Link in a Zelda game.

Seriously though, I'm glad they ditched it, this is just so much not megaman that it hurts.

Actually judging from the description of the story, cancelling it might actually be for the best. Then again I've never been much of a fan of dark and gritty.

Maverick Hunter would "be like taking an 8-bit game that doesn't have a very deep story to it, and then building around it and keeping some of the key pieces intact."

no really? Talk about captain obvious...or...Maverick Hunter Obvious

Its not "like" taking an 8 bit game with no story and building a plot around it, its exactly that

I'm so glad to finally hear some good news about Mega Man.

cursedseishi:

Sheo_Dagana:
In other news, Capcom canceled yet another Mega Man game...

Except this time it was actually an intelligent choice, if reading the article wasn't clear enough.

This wouldn't of been a "Mega Man X". They wanted to completely reboot the story, probably hoping just to do some shitty FPS title with a big-named IP attached to it for easy profit.

X was, and is, a pacifistic robot. He hated fighting, but did what he needed to do, not just to protect people, but people and reploids both, from rogue machines. There was already conflict within the games proper, but I doubt these guys have ever even touched Mega Man X, much less Mega Man.

Even if he had grown jaded, like he already did in the games, he'd have no reason to start trying to kill the people who "Created" him (seeing as Light was his creator, 30 years prior to Mega Man X). Again, this just completely reeks of incompetent devs hoping for an easy pay-day.

Yeah... wasn't really saying that canceling it was a bad choice. The game looked stupid as hell. It was just sort of an acknowledgement; like seeing that another Joss Whedon show has been canceled.

Also, I don't need you to re-tell the story of Mega Man (X or otherwise) to me, as I'm incredibly familiar with the continuity. I literally grew up on this series and I'm sad to see it gone to hell. But hey, thanks for the condescension.

If anyone is curious here is a link to some gameplay videos

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/9/4179628/mega-man-fps-maverick-hunter#ooid=IyMjV0YTqXcJD0C65moLaEgRhQ51WlM-

From the looks of things, it looks like we would have likely had another Bomberman Act Zero on our hands.

Please. We already have a gritty reboot of Megaman. And it rocks.

Sheo_Dagana:

cursedseishi:

Sheo_Dagana:
In other news, Capcom canceled yet another Mega Man game...

Except this time it was actually an intelligent choice, if reading the article wasn't clear enough.

This wouldn't of been a "Mega Man X". They wanted to completely reboot the story, probably hoping just to do some shitty FPS title with a big-named IP attached to it for easy profit.

X was, and is, a pacifistic robot. He hated fighting, but did what he needed to do, not just to protect people, but people and reploids both, from rogue machines. There was already conflict within the games proper, but I doubt these guys have ever even touched Mega Man X, much less Mega Man.

Even if he had grown jaded, like he already did in the games, he'd have no reason to start trying to kill the people who "Created" him (seeing as Light was his creator, 30 years prior to Mega Man X). Again, this just completely reeks of incompetent devs hoping for an easy pay-day.

Yeah... wasn't really saying that canceling it was a bad choice. The game looked stupid as hell. It was just sort of an acknowledgement; like seeing that another Joss Whedon show has been canceled.

Also, I don't need you to re-tell the story of Mega Man (X or otherwise) to me, as I'm incredibly familiar with the continuity. I literally grew up on this series and I'm sad to see it gone to hell. But hey, thanks for the condescension.

Hey now, don't start getting a big head over a post. Because I totally devoted the entirety of my post to just your point, instead of saying why I thought their story choices were stupid in comparison to what had happened in the games. I mean, when I said "incompetent devs", I was totally secretly referring to you, am I right?

That is me being condescending. And sarcastic. Next time try thinking before responding like that bub, because despite what you may think, you aren't some unique snow flake worthy of an entire post. Maybe a sentence or two, but that's about it. Here, I'll even underline and bold what was explicitly meant for you, so no one gets confused.

And once again, that's condescending.

TheTygre:
Please. We already have a gritty reboot of Megaman. And it rocks.

I don't usually look at a post and say "this" but fucking THIS.

The Protomen are the best thing to have happened to Mega Man in a long time.

SweetShark:
And once again I fail to see why they don't wanted to play this game.
I mean, look at this:

LOOK HOW COOL THIS GAME LOOK!!!!!!!

Of course I mean by the look of it. The gameplay is another story....

They could have easily made that a Vanquish-type game with Mega Man enemies and abilities.
Would have been hella cool and fun.

When i think Mega Man, i donīt think gritty. Reminds me of the gritty Bomberman reboot, a terrible idea indeed.

StewShearer:
According to sources familiar with the project, Maverick Hunter would "be like taking an 8-bit game that doesn't have a very deep story to it, and then building around it and keeping some of the key pieces intact." Focusing on the theme of man versus machine, the developer had been in preparation to produce a trilogy in which X, the returning protagonist of Mega Man X, eventually becomes jaded from fighting robots like himself and turns on his creators. The third game in the trilogy would have gamers playing as Zero, another returning character, trying to stop X.

Dear GAWD, this reeks of fan fiction level of story design. It's one thing to take an established character choose a new and different part, it's a completely another one to rip his guts out and repurpose him as the embodiment of the faceheelturn trope. Also "man vs. machine?" and "jaded X?" We already have Megaman Zero and it was fucking awesome. Now go home, Armature, because OBVIOUSLY you're drunk or high or worse.

That being said, megaman a la Metroid Prime does have a nice ring to it.

I hope someone can clarify this for me, because I'm very confused:

Every time I read an article on The Escapist that reads "Large Developer Shuts Down Another Fan Project", I have to question how this is possible. If no money is being made, and these fan projects are built with their own assets, then does this not fall under fair use? Does Capcom have any right to "shut down" a fan project?

saintdane05:

2xDouble:

Megaman X: Command Mission on PS2. It was ok... could have been better, but it could have been a LOT worse. Command Mission could do with a new "in the style of" version/game, just like the rest of the X series.

"In the Style Of" what?

Sorry, was that not clear? a new game in the style of (but not necessarily the same series as) Megaman X: Command Mission.

It's a way of saying "reboot" or "remake" without carrying the baggage associated with the terms, and not calling for a direct sequel or prequel, as they would make little sense in context/canon.

SweetShark:
I mean, look at this:

Yep, those are some pretty sweet Dead Space 3 skins...

Does Capcom have any right to "shut down" a fan project?

Not just a right, they have to. Else they might lose their rights to the IP.

Anything 1/4th as good as metroid prime would be great!

Then again even if it sold well they will shut it down because it didn't make enough....Capcom needs to crawl in a hole and a die....

i always wanted a MM or MMX game like this, but more of a 3rd person perspective a la Transformers: WfC or FoC (i thought a wii-mote would be great for this or a mouse). and i have no problem with X being a little gritty, but the X series was always a little surreal, with bright colors through a robotic landscape, not some drab grey corridors.

also, X has a human face, even if he's a robot, not some weird white and red sensor array or a big red X across his face. that x across his face mask (which i totally get needed a face mask when in battle) is total shit.

the design itself otherwiese isn't that bad, but it would be better if it was in-between what they designed and the cartoon versions of X. i like the idea of X being able to temporarily grab enemy weapons and having his blaster arm morph to match, but i really hate X losing his plasma cannon for a machine gun. really? i'd rather have the graphics resources making his weapons look insane and variable weapon damage and death animations for enemies than having a overly-articulated X that looks too much like Michael Bay's transformers.

SweetShark:
I mean, look at this:

Hmm. I think I might know why. Take a look at this.

Eh, a shooter wouldn't be so bad. It's not too far a cry from a traditional Megaman game, and it's not like that series could get too much worse. Megaman is kind of in the same boat as Sonic (A little bit better though) where it would be hard to make the series worse regardless of any new direction they take it in.

That said, what was shown of the shooter wasn't that great so maybe it's best to shelve this concept for a while.

2xDouble:

Yes. I'm saying that if you think you liked the ".exe" series, including its own spinoff "Star Force", you are wrong and you should feel bad.

On the other hand, the "+10 to awesome" folks over at Rooster Teeth had an interesting idea on somewhere to take the X series:

What do you think? an "old-school Capcom"-style melee brawler set in the X universe? sounds badass to me.

The first 3 Battle Network games were very good. The best Megaman had been in years, really. Four was just okay, and 5 was dumb, and where I stopped playing them. Never bothered with Star Force.

I'd be totally down for a Megaman brawler. Or maybe some kind of gun-focused hack'n'slash, ala DmC?

The sad part is that, story-wise, it sounds interesting. The "jaded" description reeks of contemporary characterization where "sad + angry = depth," but from what details have been given about X throughout this series and MM I could in fact see him growing tired of killing his kin and trying to change things. It probably wouldn't cause him to flat out rebel - instead it would be something more measured and humane, like he starts a new faction of the Hunters that encourages compassion in dealing with Mavericks instead of outright slaughter. It would still draw the wrath of the human world (which we REALLY need to see in this series besides Dr. Cain) and Zero would probably be dispatched, but it would be more conflicted instead of X just be an angry monster. There's a real philosophical debate here about the best way to serve and protect and I'm so pissed that it sounded like they weren't going to read deeper into it like they should.

ultrabiome:
i always wanted a MM or MMX game like this, but more of a 3rd person perspective a la Transformers: WfC or FoC (i thought a wii-mote would be great for this or a mouse). and i have no problem with X being a little gritty, but the X series was always a little surreal, with bright colors through a robotic landscape, not some drab grey corridors.

Mcoffey:
Or maybe some kind of gun-focused hack'n'slash, ala DmC?

Those sound dangerously close to what Megaman X7 tried to do... not saying they're bad ideas, only that Capcom already screwed it up once. That game did have some interesting ideas and a decent story (what can I say? I actually care about Axl as a character)... maybe the team/s behind DmC could make the gameplay suck less.

Meh... That's the best they can do for a gritty story? Megan is sad that he has to kill androids and becomes bad himself? I coughed up better stuff when I was going through my "Gritty = cool" phase, ages ago.

I'm a little late for the discussion but I'm curious to see what people think would make a good Meganman story. Anyone interested in a new thread for Megaman story ideas?

Edit: Decided to make one.

2xDouble:
a true successor to the Classic and X series (that isn't retarded).

I'm gonna put myself out there and go ahead with saying,

both the Zero and ZX series are fantastic, even if they are constrained to handhelds. That said, I seriously wouldn't mind seeing another console megaman game in ANY of the four sidescroller series.

Also yeah, still upset about Legends 3.

Mmmmmmmmmmm, sounds like Mega Man Zero. except bad, with a lot of out-of-character crap.

Never thought I'd see the day where I would be happy they'd canceled a Mega Man game.

This was basically another DmC waiting to happen. Mega Man fans don't want inhuman cyborg Mega Man. We want the old Mega Man we all know and love. And we don't need a Mega Man first person shooter. That Doom mod to make Doom look like Mega Man looks better than this.

I want Mega Man back. I don't know why we can't have Mega Man back even though Inafune is gone. But not like this... not like this...

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here