Free Europa Universalis 3, Plus SimCity Drops to $32

Free Europa Universalis 3, Plus SimCity Drops to $32

Raise your hand if you're surprised by big price drops on the most controversial Triple-A game in recent history so soon after release.

Now that the server overload nightmare is basically over, there are probably quite a few gamers looking to get into the latest SimCity. And right on schedule, the highly anticipated price drop has arrived. GameFly has the game down to $31.99 after a $20 instant savings discount and stacking 20% off coupon code. We've seen price drops to $39.99 in the recent past, but this makes a new low by $8. Currently other online retailers are at the full $59.99 list price.

Paradox strategy games aren't for everyone, but if you're up for a hard core RTS, GameFly has the Europa Universalis 3 Chronicles download available for free. Convenient, since you'll have just enough time to learn the in-depth mechanics of EU3 before Europa Universalis 4 releases later this year (Q3 2013). Downloading from GameFly today may be a bit slow given how popular this deal is liable to be. The offer is scheduled to run through this Thursday, April 11th.

The highly anticipated PS3 exclusive The Last of Us is on sale again for preorder after a $10 coupon at NewEgg. Considering we last saw it on sale back in October 2012, this is probably one of the last chances you'll have to buy it at discount before the June 14 release date.

Earlier this week, Target dropped the popular Ni No Kuni $20 off the $60 list price, with Amazon quickly following suit. Although Target quickly sold out of copies, Amazon continues to sell the game for the reduced $39.99 price, with other retailers still selling at list price. Since its January 22nd PS3 release, Ni No Kuni's previous best (and only) discount was to $50 for a week in February - $10 more than the current deal.

Big Deals of the Week

SimCity (PC Download) - $31.99 at GameFly.

Next best is $60 at Green Man Gaming. Deal expires April 11.

Europa Universalis 3 Chronicles (PC Download) - $0 at GameFly.

Elsewhere $30. Deal expires April 11.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath Of The White Witch (PS3) - $39.99 at Amazon.

Next best is $57 at JR.com.

The Last of Us (PS3) - $49.99 at NewEgg.

List is $60. Deal expires April 15.

Dead Island Game of the Year Edition (PC Download) - $4.99 at Amazon.

You also get a bonus $8 pre-order credit towards Dead Island Riptide. Elsewhere $20. Deal expires April 10.

Company of Heroes 2 (PC Download) - $45 at Green Man Gaming.

In addition to the discount you also get access to the closed Beta that went live Wednesday, April 3rd. Elsewhere $60. Deal expires April 12.

Upcoming Releases

Sacred Citadel (PC Download) - $10.12 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases April 17. Next best is $13.49 at GamersGate. Deal expires April 12.

Papo & Yo + Soundtrack (PC Download) - $13.49 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases April 18. List is $15.

Dead Island Riptide (PC Download) - $30 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases April 23. List is $40. Deal expires April 12.

Star Trek (PC Download) - $37.50 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases April 26. List is $50. Deal expires April 12.

Metro: Last Light (PC Download) - $37.50 at Green Man Gaming.

Releases May 14. Next best is $50 at Amazon. Deal expires April 12.

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist (Xbox 360) - $49.99 at NewEgg.

Releases August 20. List is $60. Deal expires April 15.

Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox 360) - $59.99 at Microsoft and comes with 1600 Xbox LIVE points ($20 value).

Releases September 17. Elsewhere $60, no bonus.

Recent Releases

Lords of Football (PC Download) - $22.50 at Green Man Gaming.

Released last Friday. Next best is $30 at GamersGate. Deal expires April 12.

Defiance (PC Download) - $45 at Green Man Gaming.

Released April 2. Next best is $60 at GameFly. Deal expires April 12.

Bioshock Infinite (Xbox 360, PS3) - $50.99 at GameStop.

Released March 26. Next best is $58 at Overstock.com.

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 (Xbox 360) - $39.99 at Target.

Released March 26. Next best is $60 at Best Buy.

Dead Space 3: Awakened (PC DLC) - $4.99 at Amazon.

Released March 12. Next best is $10 at Green Man Gaming.

Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U

Tomb Raider Survival/Collector's Edition (Xbox 360, PS3) - $75.99 at Amazon.

Next best is $100 at Best Buy.

Assassin's Creed 3 (Wii U, Xbox 360, PS3) - $29.99 at Best Buy.

Next best is $53 at Overstock.com. Deal expires April 13.

Red Dead Redemption: Game of the Year Edition (Xbox 360, PS3) - $14.99 at Best Buy.

Next best is $22 at Amazon. Deal expires today.

Resident Evil 6 (Pre-owned: Xbox 360, PS3) - $14.99 at GameFly.

Next best is $20 at Amazon.

Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition (Wii U) - $19.99 at Best Buy.

Next best is $40 at GameStop. Deal expires April 13.

PC & PC Downloads

Mass Effect 3 (PC) - $9.99 at NewEgg.

Next best is $16 at Amazon. Deal expires April 15.

Cities in Motion II (PC Download) - $15 at Green Man Gaming.

Next best is $18 at Amazon. Deal expires April 12.

King Arthur Collection (PC Download) - $5.44 at GameFly.

List is $20. Deal expires April 11.

Gaming Capable Laptops

Alienware M17x r4 1080p Laptop - $1,999 at Dell Home.

Specs: Ivy Bridge Core i7-3740QM, 8GB RAM, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M, and 1080p display. List is $2,299.

HP Envy dv7t-7300 Quad Edition Laptop - $774.99 plus $9.99 shipping at HP.

Specs: Ivy Bridge Quad-Core i7-3630QM, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 635M 2GB, and Blu-ray. List is $975. Deal expires April 14.

Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 1080p Laptop - $799 at Lenovo.

Specs: Ivy Bridge Core i7-3632QM, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 650M, and 1080p display. List is $1,299. Deal expires April 12.

HP Envy dv6t-7300 Quad Edition Laptop - $674.99 plus $9.99 shipping at HP.

Specs: Ivy Bridge Quad-Core i7-3630QM, 8GB RAM, and GeForce GT 635M. List is $875. Deal expires April 14.

Gaming Hardware

PS3 Super Slim 500GB God of War Ascension Legacy Bundle - $299.99 at GameStop.

Includes all God of War games. List price is $350.

Wii U Console 8GB Basic Set - $299.99 at Best Buy.

Comes with Nintendo Land. List is $360. Deal expires April 13.

I've been wanting Europa Universailis III, but I sadly never had the money to buy it. Now that I found the free edition, I'll certainly be downloading it!

Eh. It's still not as drastic as Toys R Us selling Diablo 3 for 11 bucks, and Diablo 2 for 20 bucks last year.
But it warms my heart to see such anyway.

If you reverse the two headline prices... 5imCity for Free and EUIII for $32... EUIII would still be the better deal of the two.

Seriously? To download a game free I still have to post the billing info? GOG didnt needed that shit when they handed out Duke Nukem 3D.

GTA V at 59$ with 1600MS (20$) points doesnt look bad (there are some XBLA things that I am interested, and it does cover the possible DLC), although... it all depends in how fast it will drop the price. I usually only buy at the price of 25€ or lower but since this is GTA V I kind of doubt that it will drop all that much even after a year.

If anyone likes Europa Universalis 3. I recommend playing Crusader Kings 2.

Mr.Mattress:
I've been wanting Europa Universailis III, but I sadly never had the money to buy it. Now that I found the free edition, I'll certainly be downloading it!

Ditto.
Yay free stuff.
Thanks Escapist. :D
I've heard good things about EU3.

josemlopes:
Seriously? To download a game free I still have to post the billing info? GOG didnt needed that shit when they handed out Duke Nukem 3D.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Luckily I remembered a dormant paypal account I had.

Call me when the price hits -10$ on SimCity.

yeah, was about to say that you'd have to pay me to play that EAMaxisborg creation after seeing some of the...more interesting AI decisions

Probably a stupid question but don't you have to pay a fee to be a member of Gamefly? Or is that only if you subscribe to their mailing service or whatever?
I'm interested in a free game but I don't wanna have to pay a monthly fee just for it.

/raises hand

*looks around*

...what? It's EA, for crying out loud. Why should I believe they'd ever lower prices on anything? They've even openly admitted they think the practice is "IP devaluation", so this price cut actually IS surprising.

It's devalued because they are going to sell you a butt load of DLC Down the road. Ironically. If they were to sell Simcity for 10 dollars and then come out with tons of DLC a lot of people wouldn't have a problem with it I would wager.

Mr.Mattress:

Protip- France is the final boss of EU3, cross them at your peril. Also, don't invade Russia and don't irritate the Pope or the Holy Roman Emperor.

BlackStar42:

Mr.Mattress:

Protip- France is the final boss of EU3, cross them at your peril. Also, don't invade Russia and don't irritate the Pope or the Holy Roman Emperor.

Play as France, Russia and the HRE, got it.

Mr.Mattress:

BlackStar42:

Mr.Mattress:

If you're new to it, I'd play as England or Castille. England because the AI sucks at naval invasions and Castille because the only power around that can seriously threaten you is France, so stay on their good side and you're set :)

Guess I'll be skipping on this one, not going to give my payment details around at random...

Why the hell do they need my credit card anyway for a free purchase?

Mr.Mattress:

BlackStar42:

Mr.Mattress:

I found playing as Frankfurt and just balancing inflation while using spies to cause worldwide bankruptcies and then creating trade monopolies by the 15th century and buying a piece of greenland to launch a Canadian colonization, and then invade the indians and take over all of America and switch the capital to there inorder to create "Empire Awesome" and moving on to World-domination works brilliantly. Not even because I like Frankfurt, it was merely a means to an end.

note: Ulm also works.

Ehh.. It'll take much more than a small price drop to convince me to give EA anything but contempt for the new SimCity.

Blunderboy:

Mr.Mattress:

Ditto.
Yay free stuff.

josemlopes:

Yeah, I know what you mean. Luckily I remembered a dormant paypal account I had.

How'd you manage that? I check I want to use my paypal, and still they badger me for my card number.

Ingjald:

Blunderboy:

Mr.Mattress:

Ditto.
Yay free stuff.

josemlopes:

How'd you manage that? I check I want to use my paypal, and still they badger me for my card number.

Not sure. The Paypal account must hold that information or something.

"Sorry, due to region restrictions, this product cannot be sold in your country"

Gotta love my country... Got excited for nothing.

I think what they're after, more than anything else, is people to download their client.

"Sorry, due to region restrictions, this product cannot be sold in your country"

Well ain't that a bitch.

Ok, I used a proxy and gave them a credit card number, and when I get to the checkout i get this message:

"Some items have been removed from your cart since they are no longer available for purchase. Please review your cart before submitting your order."

Is it just me?

Hagi:
Guess I'll be skipping on this one, not going to give my payment details around at random...

Why the hell do they need my credit card anyway for a free purchase?

You can also play as Cyprus. Sit there for 100 years slowly accumulating money and a trade empire and moving to free trade as much as possible. Then rage quit when Ottomans invade.

Actually did this (except without the ottoman bit) and took over a few islands down the mediterranian. Then finally expanded into being a colonial power

Noooo. Europa ran out of keys.

I can't be too mad about SimCity dropping in price so soon after I bought it - after all, I did get a free Need for Speed: Most Wanted out of it, and that game is actually pretty excellent.

P.S. Thanks

Ha! Litterally minutes before seeing that info i ordered EUIII: Complete from some other site. What's the difference between "Chronicles" and "Complete", BTW?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here