Deep Silver Eyes Possibility Of Saints Row Feature Film

Deep Silver Eyes Possibility Of Saints Row Feature Film

Wacky open-world sandbox action franchise Saints Row may be headed to the silver screen.

As THQ fell apart over the past year, its properties were auctioned off piecemeal to a number of other companies. As a result, the rights to the Saints Row franchise are now owned by Deep Silver, a publisher most notable for the Dead Island games. That point of fame may be shifting however, as the company is currently looking into the possibility of creating a Saints Row film.

Speaking with VentureBeat, Klemens Kundratitz, CEO of Deep Silver parent company Koch Media, outlined the company's various options and ideas of what it might like to pursue. "[Those movies are] not out of the question," he says. "If a company can deliver that transmedia experience, we are probably one of the few that have the ambition and ability to deliver that."

Kundratitz has a point there: Koch Media has long had a hand in the film creation business. As VentureBeat notes, the firm helped create movies like Margin Call and Before The Devil Knows You're Dead. Despite this, Kundratitz remains realistic about Koch Media's place in the hierarchy of the film biz.

"... I have to be honest, we have not been able to deliver that [experience] yet," Kundratitz states. "But it's one of my long-term strategic goals to do so."

While this means that any potential Saints Row film is likely a long ways off, it is fun to think about how exactly the franchise might make the leap to the silver screen. Unlike most other sandbox games, the Saints Row series features many diverse characters with their own motivations that carry over from game to game. It might be difficult to include "Boss" as he/she represents the player's customized character, but Johnny Gat et alia would make great movie fixtures. Plus, given the high-caliber voice acting in the games, the cast of the film already exists: Simply hire the voice actors - most of whom also act on screen - and you're set.

The only question is when this hypothetical film would take place in the Saints Row timeline. If it's recent that means Johnny Gat would either be a corpse or a zombie, removing one of the best characters in the franchise. Hopefully the writing team can come up with a solid workaround for this problem.

Source: VentureBeat

Will it be Staring Rayan Reynolds or Dane Cook?

WoWCrendor and OMFGCata have to contrbute something to this game.

Come on, Deep Silver! You know you want to!

Also, the movie would have to be viewed through their perspective.

It would be terrible, but memorable, and fucking funny!

This could have the potential to be one of the funniest movies ever.

Or it has equal potential to be absolutely terrible.

So no pressure then, eh, Deep Silver?

I will only go see it if Troy Baker/Laura Bailey/Zombie play the boss. That's it.

But, I do have one exception: If they choose to bring back the idea of making Stephen Colbert the President, I'm fucking sold.

Remember that Dead Island trailer? Deep Silver is great with movies.

I guess we are going to have to add this to list of video game films that won't see the light of day -_-... meanwhile Resident Evil: we don't give a fuck anymore 3D is released this summer, alongside Transformers: Michael bay rapes your childhood once again.

Keiichi Morisato:
I guess we are going to have to add this to list of video game films that won't see the light of day -_-... meanwhile Resident Evil: we don't give a fuck anymore 3D is released this summer, alongside Transformers: Michael bay rapes your childhood once again.

Wait there is ANOTHER resident evil coming out this summer?

OT: It has the potential to be insanely awesome, or complete garbage, I hope to see which it turns out to be.

If this is going to happen they may as well get Freddie onto this because that guy has amazing talent and ideas to make this crazy movie have a unique charm.

I hated that they killed Jonny in number 3... was a crime, hope he's cheesily written back in or at least is in the film.

They already made a Saints Row film. It's called "Crank" starring Jason Statham.

Andy Shandy:
This could have the potential to be one of the funniest movies ever.

Or it has equal potential to be absolutely terrible.

So no pressure then, eh, Deep Silver?

And worst of all, those two aren't mutually exclusive.

Kurt Cristal:
They already made a Saints Row film. It's called "Crank" starring Jason Statham.

I guess that makes Crank 2 Saints Row the Third.

I'd like to see a trilogy of SR movies, where the main character "boss" is played by different people... and even different genders, every movie.

Akichi Daikashima:
WoWCrendor and OMFGCata have to contrbute something to this game.

Come on, Deep Silver! You know you want to!

Also, the movie would have to be viewed through their perspective.

It would be terrible, but memorable, and fucking funny!

I am glad i'm not the only one here who knows of jesse and crendor :D yah.. it would be insane.. just like how 4 is looking to be.

OT: if they do manage it. they should forgo any seriousness.. take it to the extreme. its saints row we're talking about. not some boring gta. serious does not go well with this kind of movie. besides. gta is kinda already been made... fast and the furious.. and even then the latest movie is going crazy.. i mean com'on.. you've seen the trailers. "uh.. they have a tank" nuff said

I can't imagine who the targeted audience would be. I'm a huge fan, yet I feel nothing toward the rumour.

so let me get this straight, i get a mod warning for not using a spoiler tag for discussing a line at the end of a movie that is over 20 years old, but it's okay for them to ruin the death of a character from a far newer franchise? escapist mod logic is magic!

I think it should be a filmification of SR2 or SR1. The whole rise-from-nothing thing makes a better narrative for a movie than what you have in SR3...

Draconalis:
I'd like to see a trilogy of SR movies, where the main character "boss" is played by different people... and even different genders, every movie.

And people could ask him/her/it "Did you change your hair?"

The obvious way to do it would be to pull a Tarantino and shoot a movie that is being shot inside the Saints' Row universe. Perhaps with documentary snippets showing the "actors" in the "real" world.

But that is not what will happen because a company that goes from slow motion heartstring pulling teaser to big titted bloody torso as a curio within the space of a year is not a company that thinks its options through and chooses only the one that better represents its products and respects its costumers.

Zachary Amaranth:

Kurt Cristal:

I guess that makes Crank 2 Saints Row the Third.

By all means yes, and it's one of my favorite films. Not lying. Seriously though, maybe they should get Neveldine/Taylor on this project, it'd look pretty rad.

if it's anything like what happens in SR3, then it would be the craziest trippiest most insane movie in recent memory lol...

I hope we get Sasha Grey for Viola.

I'm thinking "Crank" meets "Shoot 'Em Up", but with a different lead role.

If they were to use MY saved games as a framework for the character, you'd get a curvaceous east-indian female in a pink trenchcoat and clown make-up. She'd be zombified, of course, and favour the gun that fires sharks.

You're welcome, Deep Silver. I'll expect an annotation in the Oscar acceptance speech.

For some reason, I picture the lead character looking like The Mask...

ooohh interquel what did Gat do while the boss was in a coma? how many cops did he shoot and all that other good stuff it neatly solves all your problems gat and Aisha are not dead the boss is conveniently off to the side some where and you can introduce some killable new toons however it is not without problems notably we haven't met the DeWinters Shaundi or Zimos but that could be mitigated maybe

Somebody didn't get the weird science dlc (probably cause they didn't wait for the price slashed all inclusive package), because Gat is a brute clone now.

Earnest Cavalli:
If it's recent that means Johnny Gat would either be a corpse or a zombie, removing one of the best characters in the franchise. Hopefully the writing team can come up with a solid workaround for this problem.

One of? He is the best.

In the opening of Saints Row 2, the Player is watching news coverage of Gat's trial. The scrolling text down the bottom says Michael Clarke Duncan is set to play King in the Saints Row movie. He voiced the character in the first game. But he's dead now.

SR 2 and 3 are fun games, but I liked SR1 better. It had some goofy stuff, but it wasn't the central theme where SR3 seems to have been built around.

I see this as a good idea ruined by them focusing on the gang aspect too much making this film into Gangbanger movie # 1234.

Also it will likely feature a whole bunch of current rap stars making it hold up oh so well in 10 years when none of them have careers anymore.

depending on execution this would be either the greatest thing ever or the worst thing ever...

evilneko:
I think it should be a filmification of SR2 or SR1. The whole rise-from-nothing thing makes a better narrative for a movie than what you have in SR3...

Most likely, they'd make a new story loosely based on everything the franchise has seen so far; the core plot would be SR1, the tone would be more SR3... especially since the bizarre style of the third game is what got a lot of people into the franchise, they'd be stupid to ignore that and keep it more realistic.

P.S. Thanks

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here