Misheard Games Became Real with Mumble Indie Bungle

Misheard Games Became Real with Mumble Indie Bungle

The free bundle features parodies like Thirty Flights of Loathing and World of Glue.

Bundles aren't simply "in", they've become an important part of indie gaming. Pippin Barr, a professor of the Institute of Digital Games at the University of Malta, has released his take on the bundle. Entitled the Mumble Indie Bungle, it has five games with oddly familiar titles like World of Glue, Gurney, Spy Parity, Proteas and Thirty Flights of Loathing. As a chaser, the bundle includes the IFG* winner Carp Life. While the parodies are free, Carp Life is whatever you want, "so long as it's not nothing".

Barr's done parody before with the unwinnable flash title Ancient Greek Punishment. As he explains on his blog, the games are supposed to be "crappy indie games that someone perhaps bought for you, mistaking them for the originals". It's like the The Asylum, but for games.

Instead of parodying real games, the Mumble Bungle games are literal interpretations of misheard titles. Barr states that he started with the names and worked backwards from there. Along the way he had to toss out two games, Subpar Meat Boy and Flour because he just couldn't make the games work.

Lovingly rendered in Atari-esque styles, the games are all short jokes, but not always what you'd expect. Spy Parity in particular is a splitscreen game where you can only move the two characters in equal, but opposite, directions. Or Gurney, where you have to type out bible verses while being rushed down a hospital hallway, but the words never quite come out right and everything's blurry. And Thirty Flights of Loathing... well that's pretty self explanatory.

The Bungle can be downloaded here.

Source: Pippin Barr via Eurogamer

*International Fish Games

I feel kinda bad, I don't recognize what a lot of the titles are eluding too...

I tried these games. All except the last two. My god, it's like the Video Game version of dadaism.

I can't keep playing these. Thirty Flights of Loathing had me keyboard-smashingly frustrated, and RIGHT BELOW IT is Gurney, which not only gives you no directions on how to play, but ALSO requires you to type. Protea makes no goddamn sense, and World of Glue is, so far as I can tell, broken. Possibly on purpose.

I don't hate myself enough to play the other two games. Play at your own risk is all I can say.

Edit: Besides Journey being Gurney and World of Goo being World of Glue, I have no idea what these are referencing, (though the scrapped Subpar Meat Boy is obviously Super Meat Boy, and Flour is that Flower game released on PS3).

uncanny474:
I tried these games. All except the last two. My god, it's like the Video Game version of dadaism.

I can't keep playing these. Thirty Flights of Loathing had me keyboard-smashingly frustrated, and RIGHT BELOW IT is Gurney, which not only gives you no directions on how to play, but ALSO requires you to type. Protea makes no goddamn sense, and World of Glue is, so far as I can tell, broken. Possibly on purpose.

I don't hate myself enough to play the other two games. Play at your own risk is all I can say.

Edit: Besides Journey being Gurney and World of Goo being World of Glue, I have no idea what these are referencing, (though the scrapped Subpar Meat Boy is obviously Super Meat Boy, and Flour is that Flower game released on PS3).

Ahem. Thirty Flights of Loving, Spy Party, and Proteus. I only know Spy Party in passing, but Thirty Flights and Proteus have both been widely reviewed by mainstream gaming media.

I'm looking forward to playing Tine and The Manly Parable.

"Update 2: Please Don't Have A Seizure!
We're very pleased to announce that you should probably avoid playing Gurney if you might have a seizure triggered by rapidly flashing lights!"

welp, i'm sold

are we even supposed to pay money? is this money supposed to be a positive integer?

weirdguy:
We're very pleased to announce that you should probably avoid playing Gurney if you might have a seizure triggered by rapidly flashing lights!"

welp, i'm sold

are we even supposed to pay money? is this money supposed to be a positive integer?

Only if you want to play carp life. Or feel like giving to charity.

In Ancient Greek Punishment, does days actually mean days? I tried the Prometheus game and time doesn't seem to move at all.

Chaosian:
I feel kinda bad, I don't recognize what a lot of the titles are eluding too...

Judging by the reactions in this thread, I'd say that's a good thing :P

kailus13:

weirdguy:

welp, i'm sold

In Ancient Greek Punishment, does days actually mean days? I tried the Prometheus game and time doesn't seem to move at all.

Prometheus has his liver eaten by an eagle every day and then it regrows every night. Stop struggling and you'll advance a day after you liver gets entirely eaten.

SecondPrize:

kailus13:

weirdguy:

welp, i'm sold

Prometheus has his liver eaten by an eagle every day and then it regrows every night. Stop struggling and you'll advance a day after you liver gets entirely eaten.

Ah, I see. It was taking so long that I got bored and quit.

I climbed 30 flights of loathing in 1:09!

I found that amusing. It was like reading a little kids diary. As for Gurney and World of Glue? Naw. They bored me rather quickly. Gonna get round to doing the others later.

kailus13:

SecondPrize:

kailus13:

Ah, I see. It was taking so long that I got bored and quit.

Well...the point is that you can't win. Hence the name of the flash, the 'modes' within the game itself, and the theme which it uses. (Greek, that is. There is a reason that Sisyphean is a Greek word..)

Well World of Glue was... interesting.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here