Man Stabbed in Internet Cafe, Gamer Plays On

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Sam17:
How is this gaming news?

Escapist is becoming more and more like Kotaku every week

Variety is the spice of life?

Kinda glad this didnt happen in the US, mostly cause this would have been cannon fodder for violence in videogames and fox news would have just ran with it.

still that sucks, but its not such a surprise when most of the stories I see of this type of stuff (people dying/being seriously hurt because videogames are a factor in either the hurting or lack of help after) come from this area. which isnt a generalization of the place, just a lot of stories come from here.

EDIT:

Sam17:
How is this gaming news?

Escapist is becoming more and more like Kotaku every week

Not every news article is/has to be about videogames.

I am sorry, but did anyone actually watch the video linked in the op? The clip is quite short, but to me it seems like everyone that saw the stabbing got up from their computers, and either stared or took a few steps back from the (now bleeding) person on the ground. Yes they didn't sprint towards the victim or something and the people on the other side of the screen (who due to that really didn't see anything, not to mention that they had headsets, me thinks...) were the ones that didn't react.

Again, we don't see what happens after the ones next to the victim jump out of their seats, so anything could have happened after that but so far that seems like a pretty reasonable reaction to me.

I guess I am missing something here?

Andy Chalk:
Man Stabbed in Internet Cafe, Gamer Plays On

The stabbing of a man in a Taiwan internet cafe attracted depressingly little response from bystanders.

The April 3 stabbing death of a man at an internet cafe in Kaohsiung, Taiwan is disturbing not just because of the violent nature of the crime but because of the reaction of cafe patrons who witness the attack - or, more specifically, the non-reaction. Video of the killing indicates that none of the witnesses did anything to stop the murder, and worse, one gamer who was so close to the killing that blood splattered onto her clothes ignored the whole thing and continued to play her game.

A brief clip of security camera footage released by Shenzhen Satellite TV shows the crowd doing virtually nothing while the victim falls and the perpetrator walks away, although the report apparently doesn't speak to the unmoved gamer or mention what she was playing.

This sort of crowd paralysis isn't an uncommon reaction to such events but even so, I cannot imagine what could possibly be interesting enough to distract a person from a murder being committed just a few feet away - especially when she's literally being sprayed with blood.

Source: Tech In Asia

Im sorry, but thats just not right. There must be something seriously wrong with those people. I mean, I can imagen anyone just ignoring something like that. Thats the kind of crap you would se on TV shows like Law & Order... not real life...

*Edit*

psyco:
I am sorry, but did anyone actually watch the video linked in the op? The clip is quite short, but to me it seems like everyone that saw the stabbing got up from their computers, and either stared or took a few steps back from the (now bleeding) person on the ground. Yes they didn't sprint towards her or something and the people on the other side of the screen (who due to that really didn't see anything, not to mention that they had headsets, me thinks...) were the ones that didn't react.

Again, we don't see what happens after the ones next to the victim jump out of their seats, so...

I guess I am missing something here?

Thats sounds a little better, i guess. Also, the link doesnt work for me...hmmm

Isn't this called the bystander effect?

Like isn't a proven psychological thing that people are less likely to help someone when other people are around.

Hmm a reverse reaction coming from them (I mean I've seen videos of the bystanders jumping on the robber in Asia or just defending themselves than to become a victum).
Well they do say that playing games is a fantasy to escape reality which is now a literal term, seriously how can that woman with blood splatter on her shirt do nothing as I for one would of freak out if I was her (no amount of gaming and rare loot would save me from a nearby stabber).

I dunno. Even from the camera angle it's hard to know what the hell is going on initially, and it looks like it's playing back at a reduced speed, eveyone jumps up and looks around on that side of the divider, so this all might have happened really fast. She might not have really seen the event at all from that angle...

Take those possibilities into account, add in the bystander effect (or the 'i don't want to get stabbed too, so I'll stay very still' syndrome) and I can see how this can happen.

We all want to think we'd be able to leap to the rescue, like G.I Joe or captain Krav Maga or something.

I ignore annoying people all the time, i can imagine myself in a situation where someone shouts, i glance up at them and think "shut up dude jesus" and carry on with what i'm doing.

A stabbing isn't as obvious as shots fired, without seeing a knife it can be a little confusing.

I can't believe it, Taiwan is my birth place, I spent first 11 years of my life there!

The worse part was the comments uploaded below the video

"盗号的最可恨,死一个少一个盗号的//@..." as in "Account Hijackers are the worst, Let them die, one less hijacker in the world.." WTF!? ARE YOU SERIOUS?! What kind of statement is that?

yeah... I am sad...

Lovely Mixture:
Now I could be absolutely wrong on this, but I think this is a problem more with Chinese society and not gaming. But there have been a few cases in both Chinese societies IIRC with no videogames being present.

China has a weird view on samaritan-ism (ie. you involving yourself means you are guilty) which is ironic cause Buddhism actively opposes this attitude,

If this happened in Korea or Japan, I wouldn't be as surprised, but still surprised.

It's not much different in our own society. When people witness a crime, they usually don't call the cops. That's not to say there aren't those who do, but most people just stand there and watch, or simply ignore what happens.

AdamG3691:
you know what was probably going through their head?
"oh god that guy has a knife, holy shit is he going to kill that persOH GOD THEY DID! ok, don't react, pretend not to have noticed, oh god please don't kill me too please please please please please oh godohgodohgod"

would you people have preferred that she did something and got killed too? if you look at the reaction of everyone else, helping wouldn't have done anything, she'd have died and the people who pretended not to notice wouldn't have lifted a finger.

This is the most likely reason, she froze solid and hoped she wasnt next.
I wish I could say with 100% certainty I wouldnt of done the same... but I cant.

WTF: Now ads in the Captchas ?

The world is really starting to look like The Onion these days.

This realization frightens me.

punipunipyo:
I can't believe it, Taiwan is my birth place, I spent first 11 years of my life there!

The worse part was the comments uploaded below the video

"盗号的最可恨,死一个少一个盗号的//@..." as in "Account Hijackers are the worst, Let them die, one less hijacker in the world.." WTF!? ARE YOU SERIOUS?! What kind of statement is that?

yeah... I am sad...

o-o............Thank you for letting us know that every country has a few A-holes on the internet. (Not mad at ya. I really mean thank you. I'm just a bit shocked is all.)

:( I am sad too.

How about the most obvious answer? That she was scared shitless and believed that if she reacted to the attack, she would be stabbed too. You know, cause that highly what could of happened.

I think the real lesson here is that you shouldn't use internet cafes.

ObsidianJones:
I came here to state that perhaps the girl was just so damn terrified that she would be stabbed next if she did anything. I didn't see the video, but with all the shootings and stabbings lately, I would understand people being a little gunshy to the vigilante justice. I was more saying this to keep my faith in humanity.

But then... this.

Zombie_Moogle:

Lovely Mixture:
Now I could be absolutely wrong on this, but I think this is a problem more with Chinese society and not gaming. But there have been a few cases in both Chinese societies IIRC with no videogames being present.

China has a weird view on samaritan-ism (ie. you involving yourself means you are guilty) which is ironic cause Buddhism actively opposes this attitude,

If this happened in Korea or Japan, I wouldn't be as surprised, but still surprised.

look up "Peng Yu case" some time. Old woman fell off a bus, broke several bones, good samaritan Peng Yu helped her, got her to the hospital, paid her medical bill... & she sued him... and the judge ruled in her favor

It's my understanding that this case is pretty fresh in the minds of the Chinese public

So, I googled it. And found interesting things.

First, the case in question (Source)

The National Response to it

And the Actual Truth of the Matter

This Article is Dated Jan 17, 2012.

Now I'm just perplexed if people still believe in it, if she was scared out of their mind, or everyone just didn't want to get involved. The more I think about it, it has to be the Latter. I mean, if you were scared for your life... you'd probably just run like every other country does.

captcha: Until tomorrow... DAMN, Captcha, I didn't even get why you said that until my last sentence, you creepy clairvoyant piece of programming!

It isn't the case by itself that makes people not want to help each other. People run BS scams all the time using the legal system. No shock at all there. The reason why this has such a chilling effect on people's behaviour is because of how the judgement was reached and why. Judge's see BS cases all the time and after a while they start picking up on BS. But this judge actually feels that citizen intervention should be punished as only they are allowed to judge a situation and anyone who interferes with that, should also be made to pay as an example. Too many people in the justice system become arrogant like this. Judge's, DA's, Lawyers, and of course LEO's. It even happens here to similar effect even now.

For an excellent example: http://americasright.com/2010/01/13/an-egregious-lapse-in-judgment/

IllumInaTIma:
How about conducting an experiment with the same premise, but in USA or Europe? How much people reaction would differ?
But yeah, that's kinda fucked up. Thinking about it, some people won't even notice their own death while playing.

While not quite the same, I did have an attack while I was working for the part of the municipality that deals with the plants around here, ending with me lying paralyzed on the ground. There were at least two people who walked past me and one or two cars leaving the parking ground right next to the place(people on the road couldn't see it due to a small concrete wall) who did fuck all to check what was going on. So yeah this kinda crap can happen here too.

At least to the two guys' credit, they didn't steal my cellphone I guess.

Anyway none of that is surprising. At all. If anything most would likely do fuck all due to many factors. Like to afraid, don't care, they're assholes, etc etc etc.

Houseman:
I like playing the "Find a justification" game. I'll try to imagine what reason the bystanders had.
Let's see:

1) He was a HUGE jerk and nobody liked him.
2) That internet cafe is extraordinarily expensive. One can't waste a second of their time.
3) He gets stabbed all the time. It's, like, every other day with this guy. He always got back up.
4) Everyone else there was in on the stabbing.
5) Everyone else is watching some Taiwanese hypnotist, or is otherwise mesmerised.
6) The establishment usually films movies in there, and the customers get compensated for their time.

That's all I got.

7) By the time people realized what was happening they thought it was too late to help and said "eh, f**k it"
8) The cafe was really cramped and they didn't want to bother moving the furniture to get over there
9) He was hacking in CS:GO and everyone was about to stab him anyway
10) This cafe is actually in Silent Hill and the stabbing is just a metaphor for his own sexual inadequacies and guilt over his uncle's untimely death at his hands

It's terrible that the society in the region makes people feel like that can't help people out without fear of legal reprisal. I can't imagine not caring about something like that happening nearby.

Captcha: narrow-minded

Waaghpowa:

Lovely Mixture:
China has a weird view on samaritan-ism (ie. you involving yourself means you are guilty) which is ironic cause Buddhism actively opposes this attitude

Not just China, India as well, according to Indian friends of mine. Seems to be an attitude of Asia in general.

Yes this isn't a "gamer" issue more as a "cultural" issue. It wasn't because people were gamers that they didn't respond to the person getting stabbed, it's a cultural implication of guilty by association.

Zombie_Moogle:

Lovely Mixture:

look up "Peng Yu case" some time. Old woman fell off a bus, broke several bones, good samaritan Peng Yu helped her, got her to the hospital, paid her medical bill... & she sued him... and the judge ruled in her favor

It's my understanding that this case is pretty fresh in the minds of the Chinese public

fairly recently there have been some more developments in the peng yu case as well where it looks like he actually did knock the woman down and had campaigned to be called a "martyed good samaritan"

Want to know something really strange? Similar things happen in Thailand... unless you're white.

I don't mean that white people will always leap to help someone in that situation but if the situation HAPPENED to a white person in Thailand the response by the locals is very different. Then again the culture there is focused so much on tourism that if you help a tourist in such a way it will make the news and you'll gain considerable social standing/karma for the action.

So this is an Asian thing - not a gamer thing.

its a pretty normal human reaction im afraid , about 10 years ago i opened my front door to recieve a metal bar to the face, i found out later he was a heroin addict who had got the wrong address he thought my house was a stash house and was trying to rob it. the ensuing 15 minute fight to the near death was situated near and sometimes in a 4 lane busy road , opposite a supermarket with dozens of people walking by , of the 50+ that walked past or close enough to see not one person helped. a lot took out there phones and filmed it. i asked the police later how they heard about it and no one had phoned it in a patrol car just happened to pass by us. and this was mid morning on a normal weekday.

but because this didn't happen in front of gamers it didn't make the news , go figure.

Waaghpowa:

Not just China, India as well, according to Indian friends of mine. Seems to be an attitude of Asia in general.

thesilentman:

That's an unfortunate truth which I can second. I'm an Indian myself, and this is the reason that the society there sometimes hates me so much. Someone should fucking get off their high horses there and do something about it.

OT- Fear, I'll chalk it up to that. I can't really say anything else, but why did no one else do anything? She can't have been the only one there...

Jesus, I thought India had enough issues to deal with as it were.

Zer_:

It's not much different in our own society. When people witness a crime, they usually don't call the cops. That's not to say there aren't those who do, but most people just stand there and watch, or simply ignore what happens.

With crime yes, we saw that with Kitty Genovese. But with cases in China like the infant getting run over and no one doing anything, I'm more predisposed to believe that Chinese culture somehow promotes apathy. Because in that case, it's

But yes, America isn't innocent either.

Zombie_Moogle:

Yes, that was the case I was indirectly referencing, thank you for finding the name.

Regardless of the truth in that case (that Obsidian posted), the culture remains.

wombat_of_war:

Zombie_Moogle:

Lovely Mixture:

fairly recently there have been some more developments in the peng yu case as well where it looks like he actually did knock the woman down and had campaigned to be called a "martyed good samaritan"

No offense, but did you read the whole thread?

Things I learnt today:

1. People think when you're splashed with a liquid it always goes through the clothes makes contact with your skin.
2. People do not understand how engrossing a game can get. When you're fixated on PVP, you're not going to every five minutes take a sit back and look around the room.
3. People assume that when a murder occurs others will act rational to the event.

Uh...Diffusion of responsibility is a good one as well.

You'd think getting sprayed with blood would incite some reaction o.o I frequently pause whatever I'm doing if anyone walks into the room, regardless of what I'm playing. I'd like to think I'd take the time to at least call an ambulance if someone was dying in front of me.

EDIT: Thought I'd actually watch the clip rather than settle for reading thr article!

I find it really hard to tell exactly whats going on from the footage (especially with them blurring the stabber out). It's a very brief clip as well so I don't think it seems that strange. I doubt anybody that saw it was expecting it and so there may have been a few moments of shock, and then reaction.

If they had ignored him for a whole minute or something, then that would be tragicly unusual!

OK I thought I've seen everything but...

Milanezi:
The disturbing thing is that the news is in plural, not singular, by that I mean the bystanderS did nothing. I knew many people that suffered from this addiction to gaming, not unlike the addiction to gambling I dare say, people who would gladly miss BIG events to "defend a castle", people who'd totally discard a real life relationship in order to get more gaming time, and in a much less worrying level (but very annoying) people who'd somehow "lose" their ability to communicate in society, by that I mean talking about non-game issues or even talking in a coherent manner at all. If anybody is interested in a very fucking touching view on the subject, go to Penny Arcade > Extra Credits, I ddon't know the episode sorry, but one of the big guys behind the show declares how he suffered from this very form of "alienation from society" and the extremely bad impact it had on his life and that of people who cared for him.
Please: I used the term addiction broadly here...

Usually, in situations like this (murder before ones eyes) people will just freeze, maybe run away, they'll seldom help, and maybe that's because they get too damn scared by something that is alien to them. But it's a far stretch from FREEZING to downright IGNORING the event in order to, I dunno, not missing you score? I remember a video, you guys can check it out in Ganglands, and probably on Youtube: it's a cassino in Las Vegas and everyone is there totally glued to those pickpocket machines, that's when a Mongol MC member walks in (a President I think), like just walking apparently, suddenly the room fills in with Hells Angels and they stab the guy to death, more Mongols show up, but then the cops also show up and the killing stops, POINT is, the people stepped the fuck away, they didn't act like heroes (and I don't blame them AT ALL) but at least they reacted by running away, screaming, or even watching but FROZEN IN TERROR, not just like "fucking bikers, I'll keep playing my game..."

I say this is sad, it indicates a person with a fucking huge hole in her life, one that she's filling with fantasy (a game in this case, but it could be a book, a TV Show, whatever, it would be just as bad), and in such despair that she ignores the real world, no one died by her side, the real world matters not to her, only the game, where MAYBE she feels she's part of.

And what's wrong with ignoring reality for a fantasy-if you haven't noticed reality has a lot of horrible things in it death-sickness-breakdowns-it's only natural that we escape to a fantasy in order to cope with it all and if by doing so we are able to cope and live better lives who are you to judge.
You can argue that one must accept reality at some point and that fantasies indulgent can go too far,but you don't know what these people have gone through this might be there only way to cope it easy to say from your position-they have a problem and should fix it-but not everyone can fix it,and why should they when the alternative-fantasy-has so much more to offer them.

Some people don't understand.

During intense crimes, and traumatic events, the typical person will will continue what they're already doing unless it directly affects them. They will continue standing at the counter counting change, they will continue looking at their newspaper, and most likely being completely still and 100% compliant as it's instinct to not become a victim themselves.

Bullshit news.

Maybe the people sitting at their computers didn't otherwise hear or see what was going on. It wasn't exactly their prerogative that day, to look over their computers to make sure every movement in their peripheral to see if someone is getting stabbed.

Fuck everything about this sensationalist trash.

I'm going to say something quite controversial here, so prepare yourselves:

From what I can see in the video, it honestly seems like that entire half of the table just didn't notice anything was wrong at the moment instead of flat-out not caring or being struck with fear. In all honesty, I could see how a stabbing could initially go unnoticed from the other side of the room when you take into account that there was a clear wall-like barrier in the way that separates both sides of the table and blocks a lot of the person's sightline, the reasonable possibility that she was wearing a headset (blocking out all outside sound almost totally), and the inherent nature of people to naturally block out any outside sights or sounds they do hear while playing an immersive game. We can't say how much blood actually got on the idle woman and it's entirely possible to not notice a few drops hit your clothes. The video makes it clear that those on the same side of the table saw what happened and reacted fairly quickly, and those on the other side barely noticed. The actual stabbing also seemed to be done in as unnoticeable manner as the attacker could muster (it seemed like he just walked up, stabbed, and walked off), though the very poor quality of the video combined with the attacker being blurred out makes it very hard to tell exactly what happened. Without more info and maybe the ability to speak / read whatever the national language of Taiwan is, it's just impossible to say exactly how noticeable the whole incident was and how much of the incident could actually be reasonably noticed by the woman.

i dunno. i watched the video and it looked like the people who saw it reacted appropriately. those who didn't probably just didn't notice. noise canceling headphones, outside peripheral vision blind spots, other sensory distractions; it's very easy to lose most of your awareness of your surroundings when you're immersed in a game.
i do believe anyone who sees this event and reports it as a deliberate act caused by a desensitization to violence is overreacting for sensationalist sake and not considering all the possibilities.
for shame.

If you have ever watched Taiwanese news... this shouldn't surprise anyone. There seem to be no other societies on the planet that are that disconnected from reality. As a taste of what I'm talking about: Their national news had a news story that said gas prices in the US were rising because of all the planes the fly in the air here. It's crazy stuff that comes out of this country.

I'm not surprised really. While I might have done something(I have a big hero complex that will probably get me killed someday because it is one part pride, 9 parts stupidity), I don't expect all people to be so willing to jump into the situation. Plenty of people would simply ignore it, like a mugging on a subway or so. And these people are already in the middle of something that can be more immersive than any other form of media out there, they might have just decided that the best way to stay out of it totally is to block it out, like a reader might hide his face in his book, or someone listening to music might turn up the volume. And again, this is in the one of the countries which raises its populace to simply stay out of it(isolationism at its most extreme), so this is all the more likely to be the reaction of the bystanders, ignore it until it goes away.

Eternal_Lament:
The "doing nothing" response isn't too uncommon depending on the scenario. In cases where someone is in trouble and there are multiple people around them, it's actually not unlikely that no one does something about it, because everyone else thinks the person beside them will do something. However, in those cases the people around a victim are at least still likely to react that, indeed, something is going on.

The name of this sadly common phenomenon is the bystander effect. People are more than happy to ignore what's around them if they feel that it would inconvenience them in the slightest way. However, in an instance like this, it is more along the lines of risk vs reward, and most people would not risk their own life for that of a stranger's.

Edit: The video didn't want to work, so I put in a slightly longer one. Skip to 1:30 if you want to jump to the experiments.

I've heard of similar phenomenon in regions with out of control mafia, and saw a video of a mob hit in... it was either Greece or Italy in a regular old cafe in which the patrons simply ignored a gunman walk in, shoot a patron several times, and walk out. This story would surprise me greatly if it was in, say, North America, eastern Asia, or western Europe, but Taiwan? No, not really.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here