Dark Souls Sells 2.3 Million Copies

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dark Souls Sells 2.3 Million Copies

From Software and Namco Bandai reveal that Dark Souls is now murdering gamers in more than two million homes around the world.

From Software has revealed that Dark Souls, the developer's brutally difficult action-RPG, has sold more than 2.3 million copies since its original release in October of 2011. This is a significant increase from sales figures reported in March of 2012, when Dark Souls had moved 1.19 million units and helped boost publisher Namco Bandai's profits to its highest in years. According to information released at an event by From Software's executive director, Eiichi Nakajima, about half a million copies were sold in Japan with the remaining 1.8 million finding homes in North America and Europe.

While still not reaching the level of mega sellers like Call of Duty, 2.3 million copies sold is still quite good for a game that is arguably on the niche side of the spectrum. Though its sales point to there perhaps being a larger audience for games like Dark Souls, it's still surprising when you consider its predecessor, the PS3-exclusive Demon's Souls, was considered a success for selling 280,000 copies after two quarters on the market. Granted, one and a half years is a bit longer than two quarters, but it's still a pretty remarkable difference and definitely something that From Software and Namco Bandai have every right to be proud of.

The reveal of these sales figures comes hot on the heels of gameplay footage of Dark Souls II, which was shown off by From Software and Namco Bandai just a few days ago. The game's director also recently confirmed that Dark Souls II will be maintaining the high difficulty standards of its predecessors, news that came as a delight to the franchise's fans. Now all they need is a firm release date to let them know when to strap on their armor and prepare to die.

Source: Neogaf via GameSpot

Im really glad to hear this. Dark Souls is one of the best games ive ever played. The combat is deep, the story deep and fun to piece together, and just the overall atmosphere.

Cant wait for Dark Souls 2.

Congratulations, From Software. You're officially mainstream AAA.

How does it feel?

I remember seeing the Prepare To Die edition in my gameshop recently, might pick it up, this game has eluded me for a while though, I just might try it!

After all, getting your nuts kicked out through your teeth can be fun too...

How many of those games where replacements for discs snapped in frustration? I wonder if this will also encourage Japanese developers/publishers to send their games to the West more often. If it's sold nearly four times as many copies outside of Japan then their other games could too, which might help keep things fresh over here.

thethird0611:
Im really glad to hear this. Dark Souls is one of the best games ive ever played. The combat is in depth, the story deep and fun to piece together, and just the overall atmosphere.

OT:So they sold another 1mill after a year...Considering that a newer version, how many new players does this reflect upon?

But how did they manage to break even with such slow market penetration? How many studios did they have to shut down?

mad825:
not_sure_if_serious-jpg.826/

Something doesn't have to be complex to be deep, that's what we call elegance. And Dark Souls combat (at least PVE, haven't done much PVP) has elegance out the wazoo. It's simple, but players can approach it in a myriad of different, meaningful ways, and that translates to depth.

The story too, is extremely deep and interesting if you research all the items descriptions, npc dialogues, and your surroundings. It's unconventional in that sense, since the story isn't really told to the player, more like woven into the world.

mad825:

thethird0611:
Im really glad to hear this. Dark Souls is one of the best games ive ever played. The combat is in depth, the story deep and fun to piece together, and just the overall atmosphere.

OT:So they sold another 1mill after a year...Considering that a newer version, how many new players does this reflect upon?

Serisouly? Your first reply to my post is a picture?

Yes, the combat is deep. I have 5 characters who I play with, and it changes the game each time. Now the story? Hold on... let me show you just how in depth it is...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4825DBA198EBE9B9

My favorite lore guy. 14 videos. Of Lore/Story. And we still don't know everything. The story doesnt lay itself out for you on a red carpet and tells you everything upfront. Did you know that the ending may not even matter? That the serpents may of been playing us all along? That in Oolacile, one of the serpents actually helped cause the spread of Manus?

Yeah. Deep story.

DVS BSTrD:
But how did they manage to break even with such slow market penetration? How many studios did they have to shut down?

Heheh. I see. That was pretty

, what you did just there.

Innegativeion:

Something doesn't have to be complex to be deep, that's what we call elegance. And Dark Souls combat (at least PVE, haven't done much PVP) out the wazoo. It's simple, but players can approach it in a myriad of different, meaningful ways, and that translates to depth.

And that poster was stating that it was complex. What people call elegance, we call it pretentiousness.

The story too, is extremely deep and interesting if you research all the items descriptions, npc dialogues, and your surroundings. It's unconventional in that sense, since the story isn't really told to the player, more like woven into the world.

Items descriptions and npc dialogues are vague as hell to the point it has no meaning. Yeah, the surroundings are any better;look! that's a nest, expect to attack insects!...Yeah...

thethird0611:

Serisouly? Your first reply to my post is a picture?

nice comeback, learn memes.

Yes, the combat is deep. I have 5 characters who I play with, and it changes the game each time.

Fighting sword, fight at close range. uses bow, fights at distance...There isn't really much, magic is the only complex mechanic in the game.

Now the story? Hold on... let me show you just how in depth it is... The story doesnt lay itself out for you on a red carpet and tells you everything upfront.

No, instead it throws a pile of books on the floor and expects you to form a thesis. I'm not asking to tell me story but to give me hints, a reason, reminder. anything and I mean anything but not nothing.

mad825:

And that poster was stating that it was complex.

Uh.... no... In fact you quoted it yourself. He said "in depth". As in the word "deep".

What people call elegance, we call it pretentiousness.

nnnnnn....no. I'm pretty sure most designers call it elegance. It's the same principle that makes pokemon and the mario RPGs so popular. A simple starting point that opens up to a large amount of meaningful player decisions.

Items descriptions and npc dialogues are vague as hell to the point it has no meaning. Yeah, the surroundings are any better;look! that's a nest, expect to attack insects!...Yeah...

Don't blame the game if you don't want to pay attention. Half the fun of the Dark Souls world is piecing together its many mysteries.

good, and again, I hope they drop GFWL so more people will get on board (or be able to play it in my case)

But, but... it has to sell at least 10 million to be considered a profitable game, everyone knows that, Square Enix said so. /sarcasm

Good for them, they totally deserve it

Innegativeion:

Uh.... no... In fact you quoted it yourself. He said "in depth". As in the word "deep".

...It's the same thing

nnnnnn....no. I'm pretty sure most designers call it elegance. It's the same principle that makes pokemon and the mario RPGs so popular. A simple starting point that opens up to a large amount of meaningful player decisions.

And WoW? CoD? right? popularity does not equal quality. Regardless, it shows on which side of the fence you're on. Fanboyism.

The game was brilliant, I'm still finding ways to play through the game in different ways and challenge myself. Still have a dragon ascendant build and a darkwraith build to get through. And all those silly boss themed builds I keep promising myself I'm going to make XD

So much to do, so little time before Dark Souls II >.<

I miss the days when 2.3 million were considered a success, I'm glad Dark Souls is selling pretty good, it's definitely one of the very best RPG's I've ever played and one of my favorite games of this generation.

According to Square-enix. This game did not reach the threshold that they were looking for. :P

mad825:

Innegativeion:

...It's the same thing

Depth and complexity are very different things in game design if you look at any writing on game design that will be their I have seen it from multiple independent sources. Depth is about number of meaningful player decisions, complexity is just number of variables at any point where complexity does not add depth its just getting in the way.

And WoW? CoD? right? popularity does not equal quality. Regardless, it shows on which side of the fence you're on. Fanboyism.

Fanboyism would suggest that they were trying to argue by saying something like "this game is awesome your an idiot for not liking it". You were the first one to try and dismiss the argument, as opposed to provide actual reason by calling them fanboys. Disagreeing is fine, and so is deciding not to discuss further. Dismissing the argument by classifying your opponent as something not to be respected just worsens the whole situation, and keeps everybody form growing.

Excellent news. This game deserves it, and more. Fantastic combat/story/leveldesign, everyone already knows why this game is so great (cept mad825), so congrats dark souls!

Personally I'm surprised they made Dark Souls in the first place, considering Demons' Souls only sold 280 thousand. Then again can't say I'm complaining, Dark Souls was much better imo than Demons'. Can't wait for #2.

mad825:

EDIT: I have been informed by someone cool that this isnt the best conversation to be had, so im editing it and not discussing it with this individual.

And yet some would defend to the death that the game needs to be made "more accessible" Go figure.

mad825:

Innegativeion:

Something doesn't have to be complex to be deep, that's what we call elegance. And Dark Souls combat (at least PVE, haven't done much PVP) out the wazoo. It's simple, but players can approach it in a myriad of different, meaningful ways, and that translates to depth.

And that poster was stating that it was complex. What people call elegance, we call it pretentiousness.

ACTUALLY it's called Emergent Complexity. It's basically what a good game is made of. It's the idea of making a system that has as few variables as possible but being able to use these variables in a myriad of ways. And in fact most games that stand the test of time (like Chess or Go) are based around Emergent Complexity. And I would say that Dark Souls is quite good at this. It gives you a few very basic ways to play the game but each variation adds it's own depth and can create an entirely different experience from one play through to the next. I wouldn't say it's a prime example of Emergent Complexity and the elegance that comes from it, but it is indeed a good example

As for the story. Many people enjoy being able to pick through the flavor text and subtle conversations in order to piece together a story. In fact I hope to see MORE of stuff like this is games personally. Games excel at this type of story telling because they are not as restrictive in how you interact with them. In this case Dark Souls IS a prime example of creating a more realistic story and world for the player. I get very tired of the layers and layers of exposition that get heaped upon me by most media, Dark Souls is a great example of how to tell a story without having to grab your face and say, "LOOK! LOOK AT THIS!!! THIS IS THE STORY!!!! UNDERSTAND IT!!!!!!!!!!"

viranimus:
And yet some would defend to the death that the game needs to be made "more accessible" Go figure.

To be honest, the game probably would be more popular if they ever took a moment past the bare-bones tutorial to teach you about how upgrading works, or how casting works (even something as simple as a little text screen when you first equip a talisman/pyromancer's flame/catalyst, or one when you first hit the reinforce weapon button on any of the screens). Since those 2 things are really fucking important and without them the game is absolutely BRUTAL, having nothing but bare bones armor or weapons.

Or do they do that? I never noticed one but I already knew how it worked going in because I did a tad of research.

Aeonknight:
Personally I'm surprised they made Dark Souls in the first place, considering Demons' Souls only sold 280 thousand. Then again can't say I'm complaining, Dark Souls was much better imo than Demons'. Can't wait for #2.

Demon's Souls did not sell only 280,000 copies. It sold more than that. It sold 280,000 copies after two quarters on the market. And if i'm not mistaken, that was before they released it in Europe. Actually I think the game has sold between 1 - 1,5 million units in it's lifetime, got no source to verify that of course, but you can probably find the proper numbers somewhere.

Quazimofo:

viranimus:

To be honest, the game probably would be more popular if they ever took a moment past the bare-bones tutorial to teach you about how upgrading works, or how casting works (even something as simple as a little text screen when you first equip a talisman/pyromancer's flame/catalyst, or one when you first hit the reinforce weapon button on any of the screens). Since those 2 things are really fucking important and without them the game is absolutely BRUTAL, having nothing but bare bones armor or weapons.

Or do they do that? I never noticed one but I already knew how it worked going in because I did a tad of research.

I dont know. Truth be told I was never much of a magic/miracle user in Demons so for what ever reason by the time I went to use magic I had already learned about catalysts. I will grant you however some tutorial stuff does in fact come in handy. I confess I was halfway through Demons before I figured out what the "Run" button was, and I was all the way to Tower Knight before figuring out how to lock on. I can see it being beneficial, but I really doubt it would make that much of a difference having a more extensive tutorial.

DVS BSTrD:

From Software's accountant is every bit as hardcore as the notoriously hard difficulty setting of Dark Souls. If any department goes over budget he shows up at the house of the head of that department, pistol whips them with a deagle and then sets them on fire in front of their wife and children.

And then tells them to come in early on Monday to make up time.

mad825:

Innegativeion:

the same principle that makes pokemon and the mario RPGs so popular.

I don't really feel like I need to defend myself against this one. That exchange kind of speaks for itself.

Besides, it seems others have already defended my stance.

Appreciated.

RatherDull:
Congratulations, From Software. You're officially mainstream AAA.

How does it feel?

If they are AAA then 2.3 million copies means its time to layoff the team.

Also AAA has to do with cost of production, not quality or total sales >.>. At least that's how games use it now.

God damn this game for being awesome and hard, and fuck Artorias that god damn nimble bastard, 8 hours I tried to defeat that guy, all my hate/love.

TizzytheTormentor:
I remember seeing the Prepare To Die edition in my gameshop recently, might pick it up, this game has eluded me for a while though, I just might try it!

After all, getting your nuts kicked out through your teeth can be fun too...

Please report back in if you dare to take it for a spin.

You can totally rush in and have your bottom handed to you in a multitude of ways. You can absolutely spend half of your total playing time dead and retreading your steps, emulating Sisyphus.

You can also bring everything you are and everything you know to the table and find one of the finest interactive experiences there is, surprising you with places of beauty and a wide, surreal range of creatures and things that absolutely find no joy greater than to poke you, smash you, stab you and kick you in the nuts. You can take it like a champ or return the favour, with interest, and in advance.

Can't wait for Dark Souls II. Still think the name is lame, but if that's going to be my biggest gripe, the hell with it.

Bear in mind that you can whack everyone, even the folks that are nice and helpful to you. When you do whack them, they will stop being nice to you. Fair warning.

That's good to hear. Dark Souls was a great game.

"and Namco Bandai posts record losses, causing From Software to be dissolved "... is what I expected to read.

It's refreshing to see developers/publishers actually happy with sales figures like this, am I so jaded.

I agree that Dark Souls was a good game.
alltho i'm quite suprised that it's *only* sold 2,3 million copies
I thought i would've sold more.
Maybe it's the * prepare to die* that kept many gamers away that also affected the sales of it?
I don't know. One thing i do know tho,that Dark Souls 2 has quite a big pair of boots to fill

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here