U.S. Senator Says Violent Games Are "Practice Simulators"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

..... You know I fought for this country, been hurt many times for this country, and watched some of my good friends die for this country........ and assholes who are 70 + years old and can get elected forever like this moron make me ashamed of living here....

If you are so old you do not understand what the hell is going on around you then you should not be allowed to keep in office.

It's always disappointing to find out that your elected officials are actually really stupid (particularly those, like Feinstein, who are from my own party!) Democrats are supposed to be the smarter ones.

We're not even talking about difference of opinion here. These people are dumb.

People who are dumb shouldn't be allowed to affect laws.

Quite simply, I think gamers enjoy violent games simply because guns and shooting and whatnot appeal to older/mature demographics (or little kids who think they're badass).
Call of Duty does not turn me into a killer any more than watching The Honeymooners will make me commit domestic abuse.

Captcha: jerk store.
A place where screwball politicians are a dime a dozen.

yes, what americans need now is to decrease the age limit when you are allowed to own a gun and even MORE guns to protect themselves against violent video game players.

also space cyborg, dimension jumping hitler.

WaitWHAT:

*Deep breath*

It's fine. I'm OK now. Just gimme a minute here.

ahhh!

thats what the NRA predicted! hitler is on this forum and we can't protect ourselves against him!
WE NEED MORE GUNS IN THIS COUNTRY!

rhizhim:
yes, what americans need now is to decrease the age limit when you are allowed to have a gun and even MORE guns to protect themselves against violent video game players.

also space cyborg, dimension jumping hitler.

ADOLF HITLER:

*Deep breath*

It's fine. I'm OK now. Just gimme a minute here.

ahhh!

thats what the NRA predicted! hitler is on this forum and we can't protect ourselves against him!
WE NEED MORE GUNS IN THIS COUNTRY!

Curse you, NRA! You have seen through my nefarious scheme again! How do you always spot that it is in fact me, Adolf Hitler, behind every single measure to implement gun control? This isn't the end, I swear! I'll be back! I'LL BE BACK

*runs off into the night, cackling manically*

...Seriously? I love this country, but the people steering the ship continually, to the surprise of no one sadly, come off as complete morons. If this was true, I've "practiced" so much I could outgun an entire battalion of Marines and at worse get a scrapped knee.

Sidenote: Yay! Not from my state!

Another shortsighted politician, as if we don't have enough of them already.

Therumancer:

At the end of the day it's just more of the same, the issue will go on until they find another boogie man. Right now by harping on video games it gives the politicians something to talk about and pretend they are taking action while they try and avoid any kind of strong action on things like immigration, or actually cracking down on the elements of society doing violence (gangs, terrorists, etc...) as they all come with touchy issues and any position in any direction that could potentially be effective or make a differance comes with enough enemies and opposition to be tantamount to political suicide.

I think this just about sums it up, like you said: violent video games are just the 'flavor of the month', or in this case... year? More like decade at this point. If they were targeting solely games like Battlefield, Call of Duty, or the Grand Theft Auto series, their opinions and statements wouldn't bother me nearly as much. The term 'violent' video game, however, is a fairly broad term to use, since the word 'violent' could be twisted to encompass almost anything -- especially in a country where even so much as throwing water on someone can be considered assault. The realistic military shooter is still a fairly-recent development, and actually think that it's our own gun culture/gun worship which has influenced video game culture in recent years.

At the end of the day, logic and reason will win out... at least one would hope. lol

EDIT: Also, on the topic of military shooters, while I'm not a police officer or in any branch of the military myself, I have been trained in some firearms and know how to use them. As anyone else will tell you, pulling a game controller trigger and a 'real' trigger (while one may think them to be similar) feel entirely different; though, this would be more directed to people who think military shooters train people on how to operate guns...

Mr. Omega:
I'm just going to post this video every time a politician starts talking about how bad fake guns are while we haven't passed any sort of laws to fix up our loophole-filled, poorly enforced gun laws.

Feinstein is regarded as one of the most far-left politicians when it comes to gun laws. Whether this is a good idea or not, she's not a hypocrite.

She's still stupid though.

My personal message to this crazy Bitch

Thank you Nostalgia Critic

Well then, let's have our friend actually play a few of these "simulators" herself and see what knowledge she comes out of it with.

If she can use the knowledge earned in the violence sim to actually use some of those same guns in real-world practice, I'll consider giving the thought some creed.

I'll even let her watch some movies with violence, maybe even some books. (Frankly, I feel more threatened by someone reading books on the subject, though, as there is far, far more attention to detail given in that medium.)

Stop scapegoating. "It's not those shorts that make you look fat, it's your fat that makes you look fat."

And here we go again. I'm just glad there's Supreme Court precedent in our favor. RECENT Supreme Court precedent, at that.

Still, looks like we got ourselves one more old fart who needs to die off before people stop blaming video games. Just like they stopped blaming books, movies, and tv.

You know, it's good we don't have that many games like Deus Ex or Fallout where you can lie to get what we want, we may be teaching our kids to be politicians when they grow up.

Andy Chalk:
snip

Ms. Feinstein, you have no idea what you're talking about. Please go educate yourself and then come back when you're not going to make an idiot of yourself. Or maybe focus on things that need to be done - like passing a budget.

Rex Dark:
Really?
Another one who thinks games can be used as a simulator for using guns?

I vote they put everyone who thinks so into an institution. Both the politicians and the ones who would try to use it like that.

Also... Am I the only one who thinks she looks like professor Umbridge?

The one from the movies, definitely.

We could hope that crazy spree shooters just trained themselves with video games, then people could tackle them to the ground while they spin around with a sniper rifle or tbag a corpse.

Let's say she's right. Let's allow the proposition that this is all true, for the sake of argument.... What does any of that mean?
Am I supposed to go without just because some nut job might use the same games I play as a practice? If the dude's nuts enough to use them in that way, I think society failed them long before they got to videogames.

I'm not even going to rebut this. It is basically the old "Rock and role will turn you to the devil and make you gay" thing.

It's a politician trying to get attention nothing else. Fuck her.

As far as I can see atop my giant K/D ratio is that none of those bodies are actual bodies. Not something every one can say nowadays.

She's right of course. And thanks to Amateur Surgeon I'm now opening my own clinic, Mortal Combat has made me a Black Belt, and Dead Space has made me a Master Engineer.

What's that? Feinstein's an idiot? I could've told you that years ago. After all, she's the moron who introduced the AWB.

Yes, and Mike Tyson's Punchout taught me to be a championship boxer, Pong made me an awesome tennis player, and Mario taught me to jump on bad guys to defeat them... This is a such dead end thinking.

jackdeesface:
Is this just a Yank thing? I swear I've never heard British politics going on about games like this. Or is the focus of american politics on damning games just misrepresented on this site because every time anyone comes out with an offhand comment its posted as news?

In the UK theres only one to mind: Keith Vaz. And you may have heard of Michael Atkinson, semi-retired former Attorney-General in South Australia. Both have been quiet for a long while.

There are those outside of the US, but they're rarer... yet, when they speak, this can make them louder.

OT: So Feinstein has just jumped off the deep end... well, she never did much after the AWB anyways, and its usefulness is debatable.

Excuse me. If I am shooting up aliens, that means I am practicing to SAVE THE HUMAN RACE! Some gratitude.

Wasn't this entire attitude the reason desert bus was created?

wikipedia:
Penn Jillette commented in his radio show that the overly realistic nature of the game was in response to Janet Reno's comments in support of the moral panic about violent video games at the time

yup.

I wonder what retarded things the people of power will complain about once all these old fools have died off and all there positions are held by the current generation.

okay I admit that I had a pretty good idea how to manage a gun the first time I shot one because I played video games (like how to load the clip and whatnot), but then again I found it more educating just to look it up online (here's a picture of a gun. here's the safety...etc etc)

anyway...don't live in California, but if I did I'd be sure to remember her name for elections time.

Chemical Alia:
I dunno...I shot some real guns when I was in the army, and I've played a few games with guns in them (even worked on a few!). I wouldn't them as comparable experiences. At all.

I think you accidentally a few words...

Also I tried firing a bolt-action .223 in real life once on a farm at a target setup on a private lake. I was nowhere NEAR as accurate as I am with in in games (Missed the target altogether), the recoil was surprising (A mouse or controller doesn't exert any!) and the noise was DEAFENING! I play of lot of games with guns in them so in this senator's logic despite what I just said I am ready to grab an AK-47 or something and start shooting up the place! Does that seem right to you?

Phrozenflame500:
You know, it's good we don't have that many games like Deus Ex or Fallout where you can lie to get what we want, we may be teaching our kids to be politicians when they grow up.

Fallout could also be blamed for drug use, and Deus Ex for ingratitude.

Remember when TV used to melt the children brains, and turn them into nothing more than empty air heads?

Or when rock was a path down to satan and would make all of it's listener into hate-filled psychopaths?

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock and roll."

Shigeru Miyamoto

doggie015:

Chemical Alia:
I dunno...I shot some real guns when I was in the army, and I've played a few games with guns in them (even worked on a few!). I wouldn't them as comparable experiences. At all.

I think you accidentally a few words...

Also I tried firing a bolt-action .223 in real life once on a farm at a target setup on a private lake. I was nowhere NEAR as accurate as I am with in in games (Missed the target altogether), the recoil was surprising (A mouse or controller doesn't exert any!) and the noise was DEAFENING! I play of lot of games with guns in them so in this senator's logic despite what I just said I am ready to grab an AK-47 or something and start shooting up the place! Does that seem right to you?

It's a mystery verb, you can use your imagination and have fun! But yeah, even something like the amount of control you need to accurately fire an actual gun isn't something that's addressed in video games.

What... I just.. how could...

Do these people even use their brains? I could use the neurons for far better purposes!

Damn she found my secret. And I was just gearing up to take revenge on the the terrorist that stole my daughters by traveling to different dungeons and gathering some necessary items and weapons. And at the same time I will be saving the galaxy from alien invaders and will move across the sky in a line left to right. Ok, in all reality, I am seal team six. The rest of the team is just there to take bullets for me, cuz I can move like the matrix with bullet time. But, I do have trouble opening doors. I well, I guess I will just wait around for my orders from the president. Unless he gets captured by ninjas. Then my badass friend and I will have to save him with our kungfu.

Baresark:
Yes, and Mike Tyson's Punchout taught me to be a championship boxer, Pong made me an awesome tennis player, and Mario taught me to jump on bad guys to defeat them... This is a such dead end thinking.

Why am I suddenly reminded of

(Start at 1:46 for the most relevant bit)

Yeah these entertainment products are literally just murder simulators.

I train every day on Call of Duty in the hopes that one day I can be the next Rambo.

jackdeesface:
Is this just a Yank thing? I swear I've never heard British politics going on about games like this. Or is the focus of american politics on damning games just misrepresented on this site because every time anyone comes out with an offhand comment its posted as news?

It is much worse for our gaming brethren in Australia. And please dont use the term yank lol. thats only a small section of the US called New England lol.

Anyway Feinstein actualy has a phobia when it comes to guns and violance. this makes her see even the smallest amount of violance or a gun and makes it out to be 10 times what it really is. Mountains and molehills, in feinsteins world there are no molehills. 2 little kids playing with blocks at a daycare and one kid pushes the other and takes that kids block is an attempted murder and beating in her eyes if she were to witness it.

So in the case of games where there is simulated violance and guns in them she cannot stop herself from losing her shit because of her irrational fear of those things. It is rather sad because she needs therapy and she is a senator who somehow keeps getting elected.

Since when do guns in real life ever require someone to press R on a keyboard (feel free to insert your control scheme of choice plus the keybind it is, folks) in order to reload a gun, or press mouse 1 to fire it?

You might want to consult gun control laws or something, Ms Feinstein.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here