Half-Life: Opposing Force to Get an Update with Operation Black Mesa

Half-Life: Opposing Force to Get an Update with Operation Black Mesa

Modders resurrect the classic Half-Life expansion pack in the Source engine.

1998 was a good year for games. Fallout 2, Grim Fandango, Zelda: Ocarina of TIme, Baldur's Gate and Half Life all saw release. Each of these games have achieved some form of immortality, whether though official rereleases or though fan dedication. Last year, (most of) the original Half-Life was revived thanks to Black Mesa. Now, a different mod squad called Tripmine is looking to recreate all the other bits and pieces of the Half-Life continuum, starting with the Opposing Force expansion pack.

Entitled Operation Black Mesa, the team aims to recreate all original 12 chapters using the 2007 Source SDK, as well as expanding it with new areas and monsters.The team is currently planning on a multiplayer release in the first quarter of 2014. The single player portion currently doesn't have a release window yet.

Originally developed by a pre-Borderlands Gearbox, Opposing Force put a twist on Half-Life by having you play Adrien Shepard (no relation to the beloved commander), who's a marine tasked with cleaning up the Black Mesa mess with bullets and bombs. It was notable for it's many new weapons and aliens, some of which doubled as weapons themselves.

The project is also up for a Steam Greenlight, so make sure that you vote if you're interested. Tripmine also has Guard Duty in the works, a rerelease of the Blue Shift expansion pack, which is still in the early stages of development.

Source: ModDB

Gonna go vote for this in a bit, I'm more interested in this than I was in Black Mesa. Opposing Force was really the only bit of Half-Life 1 that I played more than half way through before getting bored with it and moving on to something else.

this is the same Operation Black Mesa HL:OF remake that's been in development hell for the last 6 years, isn't it? Is that hell over? The author of the article doesn't even seem to be aware of the mod's history, let alone be confirming that anything new has stirred besides showing up on greenlight.

Looking forward to it in 2020!

Well, I hope not, but this will invariably take years to complete. Maybe we can get a dual release with Guard Duty?

Overall, I am even more interested than before after the huge disappointment Black Mesa Source turned out to be (and I don't mean that it was incomplete - but it was plain bad).
Thankfully, I already have confirmation that, unlike BMS, they don't want to change the gameplay with possible exception of having MP5 and M4 (not sure yet)

Michelle Gulmon:
this is the same Operation Black Mesa HL:OF remake that's been in development hell for the last 6 years, isn't it? Is that hell over?

Sort of. They expect to release the Multiplayer in Q1 2014.

Thats nice.

Op for, in my opinion, was a dramatic improvement on the gameplay of the original half life, which was a little wierd at times (mostly due to the platforming sections).

However, the real jewel is Blue Shift, where you play as barney.

Awesome

Aren't you finishing Black Mesa first... (Edit: My bad not the same guys)
Strange that they would go for multi when there are one hundred billion Source death match games and mods just like it, and that really isn't the interesting part of Opposing Force.

Mr.K.:
Aren't you finishing Black Mesa first...

This is a different team from the Black Mesa one.

OT: If this remake ends up just as high quality as Black Mesa, bring it on. I just hope they don't take as long.

I've been following these guys for about 3 years now. I'm highly interested in what they've done, seeing as I never played Opposing Force when it first came out.

Sweet I loved this game. I still have the disk but I would love to see how a hd version would look

So, 2016 release date? Or am I being optimistic?

This looks good. It would be great if they used assets from Black Mesa to speed up development and bring some sort of cohesion between the games.

I loved Blue Shift a whole lot more than Opposing Forces.

Greenlight it. Shows you are interested :)

I'm very much looking forward to play this sometime in 2027.

Okay, so this is a different development team than Black Mesa. Are they at least borrowing resources from the Black Mesa? It would seem very pointless to build the game up from scratch when so many useful half-life objects and creature models have been created already.

IanDavis:
Originally developed by a pre-Borderlands Gearbox, Opposing Force put a twist on Half-Life by having you play Adrien Shepard (no relation to the beloved commander)

It's actually Adrian Shephard.

And I'm really looking forward to this. Although, I thought the project has started already - at least I think I heard something around the time Black Mesa came out. Might have just been rumours, though. At least now I'm not living in a lie any more.

I've already played BM:S twice. I don't know how anyone hates it, but I'm just as excited for Opposing Force (my favorite of the Big Three). I loved rocking out with the SAW in OP4, and I liked in the original that the marines weren't portrayed so much as robot grunts.

Looking forward to this and this,

thiosk:

I have to admit, Blu Shift's happy ending was way more satisfying that HL/OpFor's ambiguous sealed in a box endings.

I still prefer OpFor though, the Portal Cannon might be the only time a developer has successfully trolled all the players all at once. Also the enemies in OpFor were great too. It's a sham Race X and their living weapons haven't made a come back, especially the big thing that lived in the tunnels (forgotten it's name).

fix-the-spade:

thiosk:

I have to admit, Blu Shift's happy ending was way more satisfying that HL/OpFor's ambiguous sealed in a box endings.

At least Shephard still got his chocolate bar...

Bindal:

fix-the-spade:

thiosk:

At least Shephard still got his chocolate bar...

Hey, I got that reference! :P

Stupid Black Mesa and their electrified toxic goop.

SpAc3man:
This looks good. It would be great if they used assets from Black Mesa to speed up development and bring some sort of cohesion between the games.

OlasDAlmighty:
Okay, so this is a different development team than Black Mesa. Are they at least borrowing resources from the Black Mesa? It would seem very pointless to build the game up from scratch when so many useful half-life objects and creature models have been created already.

They've said that they're not, because part of their goal is to have a complete game they made all by themselves to show off to potential hirers in the game industry. Why that matters as long as the asset makers would still have an impressive portfolio to show off when it's all over (especially since the same team is planning to tackle Blue Shift as well) is beyond me.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here