Update: Beta Tester Leaks Elder Scrolls Online Gameplay Footage

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Update: Beta Tester Leaks Elder Scrolls Online Gameplay Footage

The footage shows off character creation and the first quests new players will encounter.

Footage showing off character creation and the first 20 minutes of gameplay for Bethesda's upcoming MMO, The Elder Scrolls Online has been leaked onto youtube. The character creation screen shows a huge variety of different customizations and nine playable races, but only three classes: Dragonknight, Sorcerer and Templar. The gameplay segments that follow look strikingly similar to 2011's Skyrim, wrapped up with a couple of new MMO elements.

New players will find themselves on a ship, having being discovered floating in the water by the captain. No kind of opening cutscene or explanation of what the game will be about and what you are supposed to be doing is offered. The game looks and plays almost exactly like Skyrim does, but with an MMO-style UI draped over it. Just like Skyrim, you can go into first-person mode, although there doesn't seem to be any hand or weapon animations for it yet. All NPCs appear to be fully voiced.

Later on in the video, we learn that the "constellation-style" skill trees present in Skyrim have been replaced with more basic MMO-style trees. Each class will have three different specializations, with the Sorcerer's listed as Dark Magic, Daedric Summoning, and Storm Calling. Quests are your standard "talk to this guy, kill six of these, collect four of these" style quests.

Honestly, apart from the fully voiced NPCs, this game looks like another horribly generic run-of-the-mill World Of Warcraft style MMO. We should keep in mind that this is still early beta footage, and the game is sure to change drastically as it leads up to its release, but at the moment it doesn't quite look as epic as the teaser trailer they released a while back, when soliciting beta sign-ups.

You can sign up for the beta on the Elder Scrolls Online website. The game is scheduled for release later this year.

Update: It looks like the video has been pulled from YouTube. A saved copy has been uploaded to Riot Pixels.

I am saddened the video doesn't indicate how many times the game crashed. Beta status aside, random crashing is kinda Bethesda's trademark.

Have to agree with it looking like another generic fantasy mmo.

Its WoW in a elder scrolls face mask

sadly, I must agree: generic MMO pretty much right here.
why are people so afraid to stray from the WoW formula?
why the HELL can't they just make it more like the other TES games, just scaled to MMO level (slower leveling, harder prices/etc.)? not to mention the apparent inability to bring graphics to a niveau that doesn't scream like "from 6 years ago" (or at least make the graphics more scalable so people with hardware from 10 years ago can still play it)
*sigh* will give it a try either way. Maybe gameplay and graphics is not everything to a game : O

Kind of hard to believe this is game being released in 2013. I guess progress is overrated.

I'd like to point out that the guy playing turned the graphics down to low at the beginning. Actually, that does look like the extent of the graphics. Huh.

I can't really form an opinion of it yet - the player was doing everything I wouldn't have done, which was just annoying to watch. The only thing I'm truly worried about is that maybe mages will have to use a staff, rather than their hands. I never use them in the base games because I don't like relying on other things to do magic, so I really hope it isn't required.

Generic and boring looking so far. But i guess its just the start of the game, doubt they would give you any really difficult stuff early on. I would rather a TES6 to be honest, not interested in MMOs, dont have time for all their padded out gameplay, to much space in between locations of interest and the constant grind to level up. I played WOW for a month and it was mind numbingly boring, have no idea how people get hooked on it.

So Bethesda, now you have your MMO itch out the way and it will fail. They all fail. Get to making TES6, which is what people actually want, and make it more like Morrowind than Skyrim. :-)

Not sure why anyone is honestly surprised. Elder Scrolls Online has looked like a WoW clone wearing Bethesda skin since the day it was previewed. I remember opening the debut of the game in Game Informer, and without looking at the title, thought it was a new WoW expansion.

But it shows the unwillingness to take risks in the industry. Call of Duty sold extremely well, so most shooters these days are trying to sell by copying as much of CoD as they can get away with. World of Warcraft is the giant of the MMORPG industry, so every game wants to copy as much as they can to draw in more players. The theme of the industry is "Lightning struck, so lets build all of our generators in that exact spot because that area has a propensity to get struck!"

It's a simple fact: They see the sales figures without ever knowing why those figures happened. It's almost childish.

"Honestly, apart from the fully voiced NPCs, this game looks like another horribly generic run-of-the-mill World Of Warcraft style MMO."

What. A. Shock.

I don't see how anyone can draw a conclusion form that video, this game is in very early beta if that, there is no real combat or anything in that video. As far as the graphics go that was on the lowest setting there is plenty of time for optimisation ect. I am not by any means saying that this game is going to be amazing i don't know ether way but i wont draw a conclusion until i see more.

Actually pleasantly surprised by how much it's not a generic fantasy MMO.

- There's manual blocking and it seemed quite effective. In the fight he died damage was noticeably reduced when he blocked.
- There's no tab-targeting, although there does seem to be some aim-assistance.
- First-person mode is in and animations likely to follow.
- No quest markers seem to be present, especially no floating exclamation or question marks.
- Full movement during combat, no standing there and hitting each other in turns.
- Stamina-based sprinting is in, which hopefully is not used only for sprinting meaning it'll be an actual choice.
- ES style stealth is in, no turning invisible (besides spells that may be included) and hopefully taking some actual skill.
- ES style alchemy seems to be in, judging by the ingredients found on the starting rats. Hopefully this means all ingredients will be useful and not just high-level ones.
- Challenging? I must admit it's been a very, very long time since I've ever died in the starting zone of a MMO. The tester seemed to die easily when taking on multiple opponents and not doing much to avoid damage besides blocking once.

Certainly many things look like utter shit, the UI especially. But those are all the type of things that can be, and usually are, improved during alpha and beta stages.

The things that can't, the basic combat system, seems to be in working order and actually looks quite fun.

I'll definitely continue to keep an eye on this, it looks more and more promising.

Steven Bogos:
strikingly similar to 2012's Skyrim

Didn't Skyrim come out in 2011?

Anyway, I don't expect this MMO to last long.

I hoped it would be more like the actual TES gameplay, this looks like a WOW-era combat system.

Let me guess, no sneaking around just ganking groups of enemies. Making any assassin character or any assassin quests literally impossible unless you play like a tank.

Another wow throw back that could just copy paste TES gameplay into an MMO and be 100X better.

Ultratwinkie:
I hoped it would be more like the actual TES gameplay, this looks like a WOW-era combat system.

Let me guess, no sneaking around just ganking groups of enemies.

Another wow clone that could just copy paste TES gameplay into an MMO and be 100X better.

Well sneak is being implemented and I think they said if your skill was high enough you would be nigh on invisible to other players, but there are skills that can beak the sneak, so you cant just go round killing everyone silently (I think it was in a YogscastSjin video interview if you want to find it). Either way though - I dont particularly like the look of the game - another crappy WoW clone with crappy mechanics.

Looks kind of generic and boring actually. The elder scrolls community is very loyal though, if the game can get them hooked, I imagine a very long lifetime for this MMO with small but loyal fanbase.

I'll probably try it out once it inevitably goes free to play.

I can't wait to play this, it looks amazing.
I might even pay for this one...

Rainforce:
why the HELL can't they just make it more like the other TES games, just scaled to MMO level (slower leveling, harder prices/etc.)? not to mention the apparent inability to bring graphics to a niveau that doesn't scream like "from 6 years ago" (or at least make the graphics more scalable so people with hardware from 10 years ago can still play it)
*sigh* will give it a try either way. Maybe gameplay and graphics is not everything to a game : O

WoW sells like crazy; people "clone" what's popular.

Same reason for the influx of CoD-like FPS' in the recent years.

I still might check it (TESO) but only because it's Elder Scrolls.

I... like the character creation options?

I guess that's all I can say so far. The rest of the stuff is just MMO I've seen before.

Akichi Daikashima:

Rainforce:

I get that, but since when was stagnation so popular?
I mean, they could do BETTER already DID better. Instead they're trimming it down to decades old mechanics.

I pray to the Developer Gods to stop whipping the poor MMO horse to death...

Hagi:

- There's manual blocking and it seemed quite effective. In the fight he died damage was noticeably reduced when he blocked.
- No quest markers seem to be present, especially no floating exclamation or question marks.
- Full movement during combat, no standing there and hitting each other in turns.
- Stamina-based sprinting is in, which hopefully is not used only for sprinting meaning it'll be an actual choice.
- ES style stealth is in, no turning invisible (besides spells that may be included) and hopefully taking some actual skill.
- ES style alchemy seems to be in, judging by the ingredients found on the starting rats. Hopefully this means all ingredients will be useful and not just high-level ones.
- Challenging? I must admit it's been a very, very long time since I've ever died in the starting zone of a MMO. The tester seemed to die easily when taking on multiple opponents and not doing much to avoid damage besides blocking once.

Certainly many things look like utter shit, the UI especially. But those are all the type of things that can be, and usually are, improved during alpha and beta stages.

The things that can't, the basic combat system, seems to be in working order and actually looks quite fun.

I'll definitely continue to keep an eye on this, it looks more and more promising.

It's kinda sad that so far besides your comment, pretty much everyone else has decried this game as a WoW clone especially since most of the information we have about the game show's that it is more in line with Guild wars 2 in terms of it's gameplay mechanics.

Not sure why everyone's calling this a WoW clone. I don't really see anything that resembles WoW besides the outdated graphics. It actually looks more like Skyrim than what I expected.

Looks, in a multitude of ways, strikingly like Age of Conan (...for the hour or two that I tried, in vain, to enjoy that title). :P

Corven:
It's kinda sad that so far besides your comment, pretty much everyone else has decried this game as a WoW clone especially since most of the information we have about the game show's that it is more in line with Guild wars 2 in terms of it's gameplay mechanics.

Most people here don't really play MMOs from what I've noticed.

Every MMO will look like a WoW-clone to them just like every FPS will look like a CoD-clone to someone unfamiliar with that genre and every RTS will look like a starcraft-clone to someone unfamiliar with that genre.

It takes some knowledge and experience of a genre to be able to distinguish between the differences that exist in these games.

Rainforce:

Akichi Daikashima:

Rainforce:

I get that, but since when was stagnation so popular?
I mean, they could do BETTER already DID better. Instead they're trimming it down to decades old mechanics.

It's really that simple; safe, tested formula= guaranteed return.

Bethesda/whoever is developing it isn't feeling risky, I suppose.

008Zulu:
I am saddened the video doesn't indicate how many times the game crashed. Beta status aside, random crashing is kinda Bethesda's trademark.

SonOfVoorhees:
So Bethesda, now you have your MMO itch out the way and it will fail. They all fail. Get to making TES6, which is what people actually want, and make it more like Morrowind than Skyrim. :-)

Bethesda isn't developing this. It's Zenimax Online. Far as I know, Beth is working on a new expansion for Skyrim at the moment.

OT: It does look a bit... er, boring? I'm not seeing the WoW-clone gameplay you guys are. Outside of the hotkeys, it looks like pretty standard (which is to say, mildly lackluster) Elder Scrolls combat.

But it is in beta. So, I'm not going to make any real judgments just yet.

Holy crap does it look dull. I cringed at that first mudcrab fight, because this shit right here is what you can expect to do for the rest of your levelling except with slightly more spells as you go.

Deeply Unimpressive, but also totally unsurprising. Since Morrowind the elder scrolls has been more a feat of scale than of creativity. But in a genre lousy with massive open worlds with far to little to do that's not going to help them here.

I'll still give it a shot, but honestly after the crushing disappointment that was the old republic i find it very difficult to get excited about any new MMO.

Least effective fireballs i have ever seen in a game. Also way to much WoW formula... the small differences arent big enough.

And seriously? Another CLASS based system? The elder scrolls games where allways about creating a character to your liking including his skills... it was one of the keypoints of the series.

Take it out and all you have is a generic fantasy mmo that looks like age of conan and shares to many similiarities with WoW

Mudcrab eating like 50 autoattacks. Quality.

This footage pretty much killed whatever interest I had in TESO. Its not that it looks really bad, it just looks mediocre. Same shit with a different coat of paint.

Hagi:

As I scrolled throughout he comments my mouth dropped lower and lower.
I honestly was shocked people are saying this looks generic.
I'm just reiterating some of the things you said but not many MMO's have
Full combat movement
That style of a stealth system or hell, a stealth system at all
Organic quest acquisition (as organic as it;'s ever been anyway)

I would also add that it looks...well like an Elder Scrolls game.
That's a fairly good example of what Hammerfell would look like I imagine.

Holy fuck I'm excited about an MMO.
Someone, slap me.

Never really got my hopes up for this game, and this footage has done nothing to improve that. Still, beta is beta and the first 10-15 minutes of gameplay doesn't really mean that much.

As far as I can tell it's GW2 with a coat of Elder Scrolls paint.

Wildstar is looking better and better though.

Aussie502:
Not sure why everyone's calling this a WoW clone. I don't really see anything that resembles WoW besides the outdated graphics. It actually looks more like Skyrim than what I expected.

Oh, you know... just like FPSs used to be Doom clones, so nearly every MMO is a WoW clone (though, sadly, most really ARE WoW clones)

After some 20-30 years, you'd think people would realize just how iterative games really are.

I don't think it looks like a WoW clone in the least. If anything, it resembles GW2, but even there it's a limited comparison.

What this game doesn't look like, is FUN. Sure, the 10-15 minutes of actual gameplay in a starter area are probably very far removed from the actual experience but... it's kinda like the GTA IV of MMOs... it's got a bunch of stuff that sounds great but simply missing that extra something, that little spark that could make it truly fun.

I feel the problem at the moment is that if you didn't tell me that this video was Elder Scrolls Online, I wouldn't have even known. It looks nothing like an Elder Scrolls game. And it sure as hell doesn't feel like one.

Well, doesn't look like it will be getting any of my money. A couple of things:

1 - No, it's not WoW style combat. However, TERA is the current king of action combat, and it doesn't seem to play anything like that.

2 - Wall o'text questing? Is that even a thing any more? I was hoping that died out 5 years ago.

3 - Stealth is TES style ("detected" etc.) but the reason it works in TES is because NPCs are largely slow and predictable. Trying to sneak up on even 1 PC who will be sprinting and turning all over the place will be very difficult, let alone groups of PCs doing the same thing. I haven't seen any in-depth stealthing, but it's hard to imagine that this mechanic wont be broken at certain level brackets (i.e. completely useless at low levels, completely op at higher levels)

4 - I haven't seen ANYTHING "MM" in this "MMO". There's NOTHING here that seems to benefit from having other players around other than the standard "things die faster". All the quests shown are personal to the player, there seem to be no world events random strangers can join to assist, and even though the combat with another player was brief there seemed to be no options for synergy - after 20mins it was still just hurling fireballs.

Look, I know it's "just beta", but it's pretty damn rare that a game goes from "uninspiring" to "great" within a beta. If the features that make it great aren't what the game is centered around (and therefore usually what goes in first) then it's probably going to go from "interesting" to "disappointing" instead. We've seen that happen all too often.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here