Troubled XCOM Shooter's Website Disappears

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Troubled XCOM Shooter's Website Disappears

No website, no videos ... something's up, but what?

Not that long ago the only news about 2K Marin's troubled XCOM shooter was that it still existed. The reimagining of the XCOM franchise, originally scheduled for a 2011 release, slipped both that date and its 2012 debut, and its revised launch date was sometime in 2014. Except Sectoids appear to have made off with its assets, since the game's site is down, and all video evidence of it over on 2K's YouTube channel appears to have been scrubbed. It is still listed on 2K Marin's main site, though - if you click on the 'official site' banner - it redirects to its much more popular sibling, XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

When the XCOM reboot was originally announced, fans were upset that the tactical gameplay they'd come to love had been replaced by yet another shooter style game. The turn-based tactical remake that resulted from this outcry, XCOM: Enemy Unknown did very well indeed, and it seems unlikely - no matter how good the shooter may have been - that it would match Enemy Unknown's rapturous reception. If this sudden absence from the internet indicates that the game's been cancelled, it doesn't take much deductive reasoning to work out why that might have happened.

Or, of course, it could be a rebranding. The Bureau has been floated as a potential substitute name. If so, this seems a clunky way of handling a rebranding; you'd think a press release, and a redirect to the new site, would be the way to go. Yet none of the four Bureau domains registered by 2K go anywhere interesting, and there's been no word yet from the developer as to what might have happened to its XCOM shooter.

Source: Game Informer

looks like someone thought releasing this might be emberassing and pulled the plug, can't blame em though, the footage didn't really show anything stand out to me.

still though, that's about two years of work slipping into the void, kind of a shame.

Won't be surprised if it is cancelled, that other 90's strategy game turned fps reboot Syndicate bombed despite being a pretty good game. And with the success of that other X-Com game I think its pretty clear people aren't interested in FPS re-imaginings of classic Strategy games and just want their classic strategy games to become modern strategy games, who would have thought?

Wuvlycuddles:
Won't be surprised if it is cancelled, that other 90's strategy game turned fps reboot Syndicate bombed despite being a pretty good game. And with the success of that other X-Com game I think its pretty clear people aren't interested in FPS re-imaginings of classic Strategy games and just want their classic strategy games to become modern strategy games, who would have thought?

Not EA apparently.

I hope its just a re-branding, there were some good ideas there (especially the literal killer geometry) but slapping the Xcom name on it was begging for stuff like this happening.

This leads me to think that they're readying up for a rebranding. That is, if they didn't cancel it entirely.

For a game like this, it should've been announced and billed as a new IP entirely and this headache would've never happened in the first place. Shame too, because they put together a decent tech demo for a game that could've been alright. Sure, it was another shooter in the sea of shooters of this generation, but I didn't think what they had put together looked bad. Plus I thought the time setting plus aesthetic of it could've done some interesting things.

From what I understand XCOM: Enemy Unknown isn't the result of an outcry of gamers dissatisfied with XCOM. It took more than two years to make; development on Enemy Unknown started many years before the announcement of XCOM.
It's upsetting to see what could have been a good game disappear without any public announcement, but maybe it's for the best. I would certainly rather see more XCOM games in the same vein as Enemy Unknown be released than have a mediocre shooter soil the XCOM brand such that a publisher would choose not to back any more XCOM games.

Wow, it's felt like years since I heard from this game. I thought it had just vanished before now.

The 2K( http://www.2kgames.com/#/games/xcom ) games site for XCOM is still up. Maybe check next time before you post

Ov3rdose:
The 2K( http://www.2kgames.com/#/games/xcom ) games site for XCOM is still up. Maybe check next time before you post

If you click on the link to the official site it's... XCOM Enemy Unknown. They even mentioned that in the post.

Had to do it...

Now you look at me and tell me that image doesn't suit this situation perfectly. And I do mean perfectly

It knew too much, it had to go...

Maybe that will teach other games like it to snoop around other game genres!

WHY! First Syndicate (my FPS GOTY 2012), now this...

That's it, it's time to go on a warpath with the fanboys. Someone get me my plasma cutter! It's time to end this s**t.

In all serious though: YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! They had a great tech demo and were looking to hybrid management sim with Bioshock, XCOM, and Mass Effect with a great art style and genuinely unique enemies... It essentially is XCOM, just you're in the trenches with your squadmates, which always sounded more fun to me tbh. It was actually looking to be a promising, far more in-depth than standard FPS.

Quaxar:
It knew too much, it had to go...

Maybe that will teach other games like it to snoop around other game genres!

...I already heard this argument before, and really, anything else essentially already is EU or is EU without the levels (if you want to just make it a JRPG). Sandbox would never work. An Isometric shooter is no better than FPS, in fact there are more of those than there are FPS games. RTS isn't much different than standard gameplay. It's already an RPG/Turn-based strategy hybrid with management sim elements, the only thing changed in the FPS version was that instead of pure turn-based it was live action with AP based moves for your squadmates that you could order. Everything else was the same.

It seems to me like the publisher saw the shitstorm that A:CM dug up, realized they might be compared to it (where even a favourable comparison isn't great for the image) and panicked.

Tohuvabohu:
I thought the time setting plus aesthetic of it could've done some interesting things.

I thought that as well, then i saw the aliens =/

flarty:

Tohuvabohu:
I thought the time setting plus aesthetic of it could've done some interesting things.

What? The aliens looked crazy fantastic. Giant floating monoliths and weird sphere like enemies? "Finally something to fight that doesn't run by standard conventions" was my first thought.

Either the game will get rebranded, or what was already made will be used in another game(s). Either way, we didn't lose much.
I hope that the industry would learn from this, but I doubt it.

I didn't hold out much promise for this game when all they had at PAX 2011 was this admittedly creepy model of a guy sitting in a chair being shot through with bolts of energy.

I can definitely appreciate an old school 1950s game about extraterrestrials and the paranormal, but that's just not in the mold of XCOM.

The new Enemy Unknown, while certainly streamlining things, was phenomenally on target with the overall look and feel of the game.

Parakeettheprawn:

flarty:

Tohuvabohu:

What? The aliens looked crazy fantastic. Giant floating monoliths and weird sphere like enemies? "Finally something to fight that doesn't run by standard conventions" was my first thought.

If by standard convention you mean being able to look at the screen for more than a minute without geting a migraine.

DVS BSTrD:
If by standard convention you mean being able to look at the screen for more than a minute without getting* a migraine.

Somehow I managed to look at it for longer than a minute without any migraines.

Karloff:

When the XCOM reboot was originally announced, fans were upset that the tactical gameplay they'd come to love had been replaced by yet another shooter style game. The turn-based tactical remake that resulted from this outcry, XCOM: Enemy Unknown did very well indeed,

Seriously, you'd think a news site would be better than the average rumor mill.

Enemy Unknown was NOT a result of the shooter outcry, it was in development way before then. Whether they decided to SHOW IT as a result of the outcry is speculation.

Very disappointed that you couldn't check some facts.

OT: Oh no, a bland looking shooter may have perished.

Color me sad.

Not really

Parakeettheprawn:

flarty:

Tohuvabohu:

Some of it did look coo, like the monmolith, The black oil stuff. But this just made me think lawnmower man
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110907141723/xcom/images/thumb/c/cd/Xcom_trailer_commentary-HEADER.jpg/640px-Xcom_trailer_commentary-HEADER.jpg
And boy did i hate that film.

flarty:

Tohuvabohu:

I didn't think the aliens were that bad... The footsoldiers were a bit on the underwhelming eyesore side, but the bigger alien construct enemies looked pretty nuts. In a good way!

While I'm one of those people who think this game shouldn't have existed under the XCOM moniker, it still had enough flavor and promise to warrant a game by any other name. I really hope this sudden disappearance means a rebranding rather than an outright abandonment.

flarty:

Parakeettheprawn:

flarty:

Some of it did look coo, like the monmolith, The black oil stuff. But this just made me think lawnmower man
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110907141723/xcom/images/thumb/c/cd/Xcom_trailer_commentary-HEADER.jpg/640px-Xcom_trailer_commentary-HEADER.jpg

Exactly. Non-human shaped enemies who run by different principles of life and sentience is something I wish XCOM:EU had dealt more with, and at least XCOM FPS was going to try something like that, amongst other things.

I can't really comment on the film though, I remember seeing it late at night once but it really didn't make any impression upon me.

MDSnowman:
Wow, it's felt like years since I heard from this game. I thought it had just vanished before now.

Similarly, I thought it had come out at least a year ago and just nobody gave a crap when it did. I guess my lack of interest means I didn't notice (or bother remembering) any mention of it being pushed back. Oh, well.

On a different note, what exactly can they do with the game they've made so far? I mean, scrapping it is throwing away money, so they probably won't do that. People are saying rebranding, but it seemed pretty distinct visually as a shooter. I can't imagine sticking a different name on there and people not immediately going:"Oh, that's that XCom shooter."

Am I the only one, who finds it kind of funny that a shooter, that originally started as a random, new IP got rebranded to XCOM and then changed to look a lot more XCOM (as shooter) now gets rebranded AGAIN to something not related XCOM?

Tohuvabohu:

I didn't think the aliens were that bad... The footsoldiers were a bit on the underwhelming eyesore side, but the bigger alien construct enemies looked pretty nuts. In a good way!

Basically this. I suppose i should of been more specific which ones i meant.

I liked the idea of this game.

I just hated that it was the replacement for X-com.

However 2k gave us a pretty decent X-com TBS game, it's not as X-com as I would have wanted it with numerous bugs and exploits, but it was a TBS game with aliens where you manage a base as earth's last hope. It was close enough.

Now they can call this X-com, X-files, Total War Universe, I don't really give a crap. The TBS version did well so at least that ensured that we won't LOSE the franchise to the shooter disease.

I hope it isn't cancelled because if it had not been an X-com replacement at the start this game would have been allot better received.

Parakeettheprawn:
They had a great tech demo and were looking to hybrid management sim with Bioshock, XCOM, and Mass Effect with a great art style and genuinely unique enemies... .

I give you the genuinely unique enemies, but everything else about the tech demo just kind of seemed like a retread of other titles. How many versions of Bioshock does a gamer actually need?

Parakeettheprawn:

flarty:

Parakeettheprawn:

Exactly. Non-human shaped enemies who run by different principles of life and sentience is something I wish XCOM:EU had dealt more with, and at least XCOM FPS was going to try something like that, amongst other things.

I can't really comment on the film though, I remember seeing it late at night once but it really didn't make any impression upon me.

I couldn't agree with you more here. I'd like to play a video game where our carbon-normative protagonists have to fight off increasingly abstract weirdness beyond their understanding.

I'm actually disappointed. I was looking forward to the game as it tickled all the various niches I enjoy at once.

If it hasn't been completely cancelled, I'm still hoping it turns up as a tactical shooter somewhat in the vein of Star Wars: Repulic Commando. I loved the ability to order your squad-mates to snipe or provide suppressing fire, or hack terminals/breach walls, etc. and I'm really sad that there aren't more shooters that allow that level of simple depth.

Wuvlycuddles:

I liked the first half of Syndicate, but the second half, just got really stupid.

Desert Punk:

Wuvlycuddles:

I liked the first half of Syndicate, but the second half, just got really stupid.

I am agreeing with you SOOOO MUCH right now you would not believe. At least the co-op doesn't cop out like that. Hell, I still play the co-op it was so enjoyable.

MopBox:

Parakeettheprawn:
They had a great tech demo and were looking to hybrid management sim with Bioshock, XCOM, and Mass Effect with a great art style and genuinely unique enemies... .

I give you the genuinely unique enemies, but everything else about the tech demo just kind of seemed like a retread of other titles. How many versions of Bioshock does a gamer actually need?

Bioshock is pretty much just used to mean "inventive and non-standard weaponry/abilities". Really, it was more like Mass Effect, XCOM, and Republic Commando, with a little of Fallout 3 with the AP style commands and squad controls. I seem to remember you even zoomed out to a view like in EU to command your squad, the game pausing like in Brothers in Arms.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here