New Star Trek Into Darkness Trailer: Shall We Begin?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

New Star Trek Into Darkness Trailer: Shall We Begin?

Captain James T. Kirk of the USS Enterprise is here to remind us all that size isn't everything.

I liked the last Star Trek movie - the first "new" Star Trek movie, I suppose - and I'm sure I'll enjoy this one too. But because I'm old and cranky, I feel obligated to complain about this latest, loudest trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness, packed as it is with overwrought music, cliched dialog clips and, naturally, enough explosive energy to push the Earth out of its orbit. All well and good for a summer blockbuster, I suppose, but... what's going on?

As near as I can figure, Shakespeare Broodybrows is mad because Captain Kirk pulled in more money than he did at the last Starfleet Cheesecake for Charity event, so he traveled to the Mirror Universe and borrowed the keys to the Enterprise D, and then, I don't know, cue some explosions and existential angst, I guess. Hey, where's Chekov?

My biggest complaint about the rebooted Star Trek franchise isn't actually all the mindless pyrotechnics, it's that the focus of the whole thing is on the guy who's easily the least interesting one of the bunch. I can't say I'm a huge fan of how they've turned Spock into nothing more than a really stoic human either, but the real problem is Kirk: a generic bad-boy with a good looks, a good heart and about as much personality as his chair.

Harsh? Perhaps. And let's be honest about it - as sound and fury goes, this is a pretty groovy trailer. Star Trek Into Darkness hits theaters in North America on May 17.

Wasn't Kirk always the generic bad-boy with good looks, a good heart and as much personality as his chair?

Honestly, I enjoyed the 'new' version of Kirk. Picard is still the best Enterprise Captain. Since this has Sherlock as the bad guy, I am more than happy to watch this.

I don't actually care for the young crew or JJ Abrams films but like so many others I might just be inclined to watch this for Cumberbatch as the baddie.
Although I still maintain he totally should have been a young Khan Noonien Singh.

Holy shit would you look at the size of the Warp Nacelles on that Galaxy Class. That thing is a monster.

Yay lens flair.....

But no seriously, I am looking forward to this, Benedict Cumberbatch is really starting to be the big baddie of our generation, Star Trek The Hobbit..... I wonder which villain he will tackle next....

Andy Chalk:

so he traveled to the Mirror Universe and borrowed the keys to the Enterprise D

Ok yes I know it doesn't matter but that is now way the Enterprise D it would be the Enterprise E if it came from the alternate universe, or most likely its the excelsior class of which the Enterprise B was one. Please don't take my lunch money.

I don't know it looks awesome enough that I can show it to my girlfriend and she might let me take her to it.

I never liked Shatner all that much anyway. The best work he ever did was in Boston Legal. So the Chris Pine Kirk is fine by me.

I officially have no idea what to expect from this film. I can't tell if it will be crap or great... but it -will- be shiny.

Ok the new scene (Kirk ship coming face to face with the bigger villain ship) got more even more hyped up now!

Is it just me or can anyone easily see that the ship get damage while taking casualty and crash into the sea but somehow later on it rise up again (either they somehow repair the damage quickly while underwater or it's still damaged)?

It's a reason to go and get an oversized coke and a big tray of nachos or and chili cheese dog I suppose.

Parakeettheprawn:
I officially have no idea what to expect from this film. I can't tell if it will be crap or great... but it -will- be shiny.

Well if it crap, it's a great example of a polished turd.

Edit:Grammar

I wish people would stop complaining about how generic Pines is. I mean, he's certainly generic, but it's not like Kirk was originally such a complex and nuanced character to begin with.

Anyway, after seeing that Cucumber-Batch's[1] character drives a ship that looks a LOT like the Enterprise, I now have theory he's playing some kind of evil, alternate Captain Picard. Seriously, close your eyes and picture Patrick Stewart when he says "Shall we begin?" at about 1:18. The voice is uncanny.

[1] That's his name, right?

MorganL4:
Yay lens flair.....

But no seriously, I am looking forward to this, Benedict Cumberbatch is really starting to be the big baddie of our generation, Star Trek The Hobbit..... I wonder which villain he will tackle next....

So far I have noticed that the lens flare is not nearly as bad as it was in the original. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Actually excited for this movie. Was never a fan of the original Star Trek series, Next Gen was always better IMO.

Gammayun:

Andy Chalk:

Ok yes I know it doesn't matter but that is now way the Enterprise D it would be the Enterprise E if it came from the alternate universe, or most likely its the excelsior class of which the Enterprise B was one. Please don't take my lunch money.

That is not enterprise B or E that is a very Stylized Galaxy class. Sharp edges and flat surfaces instead of curves. Its not from the Alternate timeline (see real timeline) and looks more like a military galaxy class from this timelines mirror universe.

knight4light:

Gammayun:

Andy Chalk:

That is not enterprise B or E that is a very Stylized Galaxy class. Sharp edges and flat surfaces instead of curves. Its not from the Alternate timeline (see real timeline) and looks more like a military galaxy class from this timelines mirror universe.

Its hard to make out but it looks like a hybrid of an Excelsior class, a Galaxy class and an Ambassador class. At least in art direction anyway.

I rather hope they don't rehash the whole ship from the future thing again.

This is that Phantom Menace thing's sequel right?

knight4light:

Gammayun:

Andy Chalk:

How is it a galaxy-class if you look at connection to the saucer section there is no thin neck like connection which the enterprise D had, but if you look at the excelsior-class and the Sovereign-class both have this similar connection to the ship in the trailer.

J Tyran:

knight4light:

Gammayun:

Its hard to make out but it looks like a hybrid of an Excelsior class, a Galaxy class and an Ambassador class. At least in art direction anyway.

Can't help but think the "body" of the nacelle sections looks somewhat Excelsior class to me. Other than maybe the saucer section, can't see anything that looks reminiscent of the Galaxy class. It'll of course probably turn out to be none of the above, but if you squint a little you can always imagine it as bigger, meaner version of the standard "white" Enterprise. It's being taking a lot of protein shakes and working out a lot at the gym.

Don't really have a problem with this trailer myself....does the trick as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: Just a bit further on in that trailer (about 1:29), does Harrison's ship seem to have a gap in the middle of the saucer section? If so, that's no Starfleet ship design I'm aware of.

MarsProbe:

J Tyran:

knight4light:

Can't help but think the "body" of the nacelle sections looks somewhat Excelsior class to me. Other than maybe the saucer section, can't see anything that looks reminiscent of the Galaxy class. It'll of course probably turn out to be none of the above, but if you squint a little you can always imagine it as bigger, meaner version of the standard "white" Enterprise. It's being taking a lot of protein shakes and working out a lot at the gym.

Don't really have a problem with this trailer myself....does the trick as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: Just a bit further on in that trailer (about 1:29), does Harrison's ship seem to have a gap in the middle of the saucer section? If so, that's no Starfleet ship design I'm aware of.

If you pause it at 2:13 you can see a clear view of the ship firing on the enterprise, and I have to admit that does look very Galaxy class to me. So I guess I might of been a bit wrong

Edit: Typed in wrong place, sorry.

VoidWanderer:
Wasn't Kirk always the generic bad-boy with good looks, a good heart and as much personality as his chair?

Honestly, I enjoyed the 'new' version of Kirk. Picard is still the best Enterprise Captain. Since this has Sherlock as the bad guy, I am more than happy to watch this.

Yes. I think a certain writer may be being over critical.

The trailer looks goods to me.

Shemming:

Me too.

I'm hoping more for hitherto unknown faction of augments (or deserters, the Maquis) make off with the prototype (whatever) class ship (maybe Excelsior, it looks like an Abramsified Excelsior to me), start wreaking havoc. Specifically goading Kirk/Enterprise because he/they saved the world and are Starfleet's biggest symbol of hope.

I still think it's Khan (or at least a human augment) out for revenge. The guy making tall leaps and carrying the biggest gun in Trek history makes me think augments.

It looks like a lot of fun. May is gonna be a great month for movies.

The weirdest thing about new Star Trek is that now I think that J.J. Abrams would do a good job with Mass Effect movie.

Hmmm... is that Damon Lindelof's name I see amongst the writing credits? Alongside Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, the screenwriting pair responsible for the Transformers films?

Such a dream team of impeccable writing talent right there. The guys responsible for Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen, and the guy responsible for Prometheus. How many hopes and dreams of expectant science fiction fans has this trio already crushed under their heels?

...yeah, not optimistic. The first Star Trek reboot was already a calamity. This trailer just looks generic as all hell, and it's not exactly got a pedigree writing team behind it. Count me amongst the incredibly cynical crowd.

Gammayun:

Parakeettheprawn:

Well if it crap, it's a great example of a polished turd.

Edit:Grammar

*Nodds* This is true!

Well, it certainly does look like a "future ship" no matter what it may be. Size proportions would be more consistent to a Galaxy Class than to an Excelsior class ship, but that may just be me.

The lens flare is still bugging me a lot (I know, it's an old argument but a valid one) and this is the same movie that we've seen from Star Trek a too much recently. Revenge story with a much more powerful ship.

Some of the best films were about equally armed ships pitted against each other, or the enemy using something crafty to get around the Enterprise's superiority. I'd rather have something like Star Trek 2 where Kirk was blindsided by a friendly looking Miranda Class starship and a strategic back an forth rather thank "look at the monstrosity. let's take it down."

I'm not expecting anything cerebral from these movies until they get rebooted again. The new Trek is for stupid people who can't comprehend plot, philosophy, or science. It's a Die Hard in space, which (while I like Die Hard) breaks my heart for what these movies could have been...

Rogue 09:
Well, it certainly does look like a "future ship" no matter what it may be. Size proportions would be more consistent to a Galaxy Class than to an Excelsior class ship, but that may just be me.

The lens flare is still bugging me a lot (I know, it's an old argument but a valid one) and this is the same movie that we've seen from Star Trek a too much recently. Revenge story with a much more powerful ship.

Some of the best films were about equally armed ships pitted against each other, or the enemy using something crafty to get around the Enterprise's superiority. I'd rather have something like Star Trek 2 where Kirk was blindsided by a friendly looking Miranda Class starship and a strategic back an forth rather thank "look at the monstrosity. let's take it down."

I'm not expecting anything cerebral from these movies until they get rebooted again. The new Trek is for stupid people who can't comprehend plot, philosophy, or science. It's a Die Hard in space, which (while I like Die Hard) breaks my heart for what these movies could have been...

You and me both, brother. The '09 film's attempts at philosophising a la the original Star Trek literally had me facepalming through the whole thing. And I can't remember the last time I saw a time travel plot handled so badly. If Nero is so angry about Romulus being destroyed in the future, why doesn't he use his trip into the past to actually warn the planet and prevent the destruction he's so angry about? And why do black holes act as time travel holes in the first place?

I'm honestly convinced that the Star Wars prequels were a better follow up to Star Wars than the Star Trek reboot to the Star Trek series. For all their many, many flaws, at least the prequels tried to have the same flavour as the original films. The new Star Trek films couldn't be more ashamed of their legacy if they tried, and they've got none of the intelligence, the philosophy or the earnestness of the original Star Trek series. The original Star Trek, for all its soft sci-fi, was groundbreaking in how it challenged accepted morals of the time, and forced audiences to think about ethically challenging problems. It was the show that broke all the rules of the time when it came to non-white characters. These new films are just a way to keep the folks at Industrial Light And Magic in work...

Shemming:

Same here, it'd be disappointing to see that same thing used again.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
Snip.

Completely agree, that said, I did like the last flick as a fun action ride, but I did leave the theater disappointed at the lack of all you said.

Gammayun:

knight4light:

Gammayun:

How is it a galaxy-class if you look at connection to the saucer section there is no thin neck like connection which the enterprise D had, but if you look at the excelsior-class and the Sovereign-class both have this similar connection to the ship in the trailer.

The ship's profile shot matches a Galaxy class, with the super wide saucer and the sort of bulbous deflector dish section. However, it has the Excelsior's swooped back Warp Nacelles, and a neck section that looks taken from an Ambassador class.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Rogue 09:

You and me both, brother. The '09 film's attempts at philosophising a la the original Star Trek literally had me facepalming through the whole thing. And I can't remember the last time I saw a time travel plot handled so badly. If Nero is so angry about Romulus being destroyed in the future, why doesn't he use his trip into the past to actually warn the planet and prevent the destruction he's so angry about? And why do black holes act as time travel holes in the first place?

I'm honestly convinced that the Star Wars prequels were a better follow up to Star Wars than the Star Trek reboot to the Star Trek series. For all their many, many flaws, at least the prequels tried to have the same flavour as the original films. The new Star Trek films couldn't be more ashamed of their legacy if they tried, and they've got none of the intelligence, the philosophy or the earnestness of the original Star Trek series. The original Star Trek, for all its soft sci-fi, was groundbreaking in how it challenged accepted morals of the time, and forced audiences to think about ethically challenging problems. It was the show that broke all the rules of the time when it came to non-white characters. These new films are just a way to keep the folks at Industrial Light And Magic in work...

To be fair it has been hypothesized that Black holes could be used to time travel in some manner. That is an actual physics thing. I am not a physicist by any means so I can't defend it beyond that.

Also I don't think Nero had any control over where he ended up in time. In fact if I remember correctly Spock arrived several years ahead of Nero or vise versa. Then there is the fact that if Nero had tried to warn his planet of isn't impending doom that takes place many many many years in the future no one is likely to believe him. Even if he did succeed in warning his planet that shit was going to go down everything he cared about is still gone, or rather so far into the future that it might as well be gone cause Nero isn't going to see it ever again.

Really all Nero had left was vengeance.

Everyone seems to be forgetting the legendary "Start Trek Movie Curse." Historically, so the legend goes, every other ST movie is bad. Nemesis was horrible, J.J.'s Star Trek was ok.

This one is gonna bomb...

Soviet Heavy:

Gammayun:

knight4light:

The ship's profile shot matches a Galaxy class, with the super wide saucer and the sort of bulbous deflector dish section. However, it has the Excelsior's swooped back Warp Nacelles, and a neck section that looks taken from an Ambassador class.

Hmm gonna have to say you right, ill be honest kinda glad I lost this debate.

Meh. I dunno. The last one was a big, dumb, ball of boring, and this one doesn't look too much different. Swap out the names and the ship designs and you'd never know this was Star Trek.

Keneth:
Everyone seems to be forgetting the legendary "Start Trek Movie Curse." Historically, so the legend goes, every other ST movie is bad. Nemesis was horrible, J.J.'s Star Trek was ok.

This one is gonna bomb...

You seem to be forgetting that Star Trek 2009 broke the Star Trek Movie Curse by being a good odd-numbered Star Trek Movie. Without the curse, who knows how good this will be?

Here`s a drinking game for ya! Take a shot every time someones jumping off of something!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here