Blood Dragon: The Cyber War Live Action Short is Too 80's For Words

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Blood Dragon: The Cyber War Live Action Short is Too 80's For Words

"At this distance, the shockwave will hit approximately thirty seconds after detonation." "I'll kill you in twenty!"

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is out of control. Initially appearing as an apparent April fool's joke, a leak of the entire game on Ubisoft's uplay service revealed that it was in fact an actual game that existed, and a quick follow up reveal trailer was a love letter to 80's cartoons. But the Blood Dragon publicity train is showing no sign of stopping, producing a too-80's-for-words live action short: Blood Dragon: The Cyber War.

Just to clarify, that isn't Blood Dragon's hero Rex "Power" Colt slicing up androids with his neon katana, but Commander Bolt Lightning. Yes, that is his real name, and yes, it is awesome. The live action short has just the right amount of b-grade special effects, cheesy one liners, and completely over the top acting to make it a thing of beauty and magnificence.

Could The Cyber War become an actual series, or even a movie? If I could throw money at something to make that happen, you can bet I, and countless others, would. The game as it is now is just a short stand-alone expansion pack to Far Cry 3, but with all the publicity its getting, hopefully it will expand to be something more.

Filthy pirates, as well as players who obtained the game through legitimate means (such as Rock Paper Shotgun) have had nothing but praise to offer the game, claiming it is an incredibly stupid satire of 80's action flicks and cartoons, modern shooters and retro platformers. But stupid in a good way, like Ren and Stimpy. It will be released on May 1st, cost $14 and won't require a copy of Far Cry 3 to play.

That trailer was pretty damn awesome.

I cant wait for this to come out, looks like it will be a barrel of laughs and awesome.

This is so beautiful: I'm crying.

Corridor Digital makes really good vids. One thing though: that music better be on the soundtrack. Seriously, that shit is awesome.

That fight scene, I guess we can add Ryuhei Kitamura's Versus on the list of campy B-movies Ubisoft enjoyed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTCfc5T_LwE&feature=player_detailpage#t=6446s

Also, Ubisoft Montreal making a better Duke Nukem game without using money stolen from Sega

LOL

an annoyed writer:
One thing though: that music better be on the soundtrack. Seriously, that shit is awesome.

Indeed, very good slightly generic cyberpunkish 80s soundtrack.

So sweet. So, so sweet. I can't wait for this. They've nailed the gameplay with FC3 so now they can make any game they want. I'm glad they are making this. It's not something you'd expect in today's market that is over-saturated with modern military shooters.

I'm also patiently waiting for a Far Cry 3 spaghetti western.

an annoyed writer:
that music better be on the soundtrack. Seriously, that shit is awesome.

It is. You can find the tracks on YouTube. Here's the one from the end of the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGx-eH6b3rY

anian:

an annoyed writer:
One thing though: that music better be on the soundtrack. Seriously, that shit is awesome.

Indeed, very good slightly generic cyberpunkish 80s soundtrack.

I like the fact that it's a strongly melodic score. It might be cheesy as fuck compared to some of the music we hear today, but to call it bad is a crime.

For added nostalgia watch that vid in 240p. VHS quality is very appropriate here...

Seriously: from what I have seen this looks AWESOME! Why can't May 1 come sooner!

That... was... awesome!!!
I can't wait for May 1st to come round, the actual gameplay trailer made this look epic enough already.

With every trailer I get more and more excited.
This game... I... I might start crying. It's just too good, too beautiful, to be true.
So... much... 80's...

I wanna watch these shorts more than I want to play the game.

I also want to play the game.

an annoyed writer:
I like the fact that it's a strongly melodic score. It might be cheesy as fuck compared to some of the music we hear today, but to call it bad is a crime.

I didn't call it bad, I realize the style was very intentional and I like it.

anian:

an annoyed writer:

I didn't call it bad, I realize the style was very intentional and I like it.

I never said you did. Sorry if that was implied.

80s theme with a overtone of CGI...Why am I the only one commenting about this...

Actually more like 70 seconds, but I loved each one.

I update my opinion from April fool's joke to awesome Tron/Terminator crossover.

ha that rocked. but needs ninjas. the 80s had lots of ninjas :D

That was the best thing I have ever seen in my life. Add-on of the year for sure.

WTF did I just see? Like the captcha I got rightly states, why I liked what I saw is...beyond me...

The madness is spreading and its can only get better. Kind of getting really excited.

mad825:
80s theme with a overtone of CGI...Why am I the only one commenting about this...

Just because it's is a homage/parody of 80's cheese doesn't mean it has to use the exact same techniques.

Goddamn it, THEY BLEW UP MY HOMETOWN. WHY DID THEY HAVE TO BLOW UP HONG KONG.

Seriously, the city in the background's Hong Kong, not Los Angeles.

Adam Jensen:
I'm also patiently waiting for a Far Cry 3 spaghetti western.

Don't think that one can work, most player would be too trigger happy for make a good stare down. =p

Ldude893:

Pretty sure it Toronto.

an annoyed writer:
Corridor Digital makes really good vids. One thing though: that music better be on the soundtrack. Seriously, that shit is awesome.

The OST comes free if you pre-order the game on Steam, the track that plays before Blood Dragon's Menu track in the trailer is called Sloan's Assault, by Powerglove(Not to be mistaken with Boston-based Speed Metal band Power Glove), whose tracks you've probably heard from 80s homage movies like Hobo with a shotgun
http://fc3blooddragon.uk.ubi.com/sloan-assault.html

In fact, the OST also includes tracks from Jay-Z, the XX and Oliver Nelson, the OST alone(which is composed of 25 tracks) already sounds worth more than $15.
https://soundcloud.com/daawatcha-1

iniudan:

Ldude893:

Pretty sure it Toronto.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Central_Hong_Kong_From_a_Boat.jpg

Compare this with the buildings on the right side of the city skyline in the video.

Ldude893:

iniudan:

Ldude893:

Pretty sure it Toronto.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/14/Central_Hong_Kong_From_a_Boat.jpg

Compare this with the buildings on the right side of the city skyline in the video.

After checking seem more like photoshopped background, but indeed seem some section seem to be Hong Kong after all, but some section are Toronto also, for I am pretty sure those are Toronto Hilton and BMO building on the left. =p

Saw this earlier today.
Had no idea that it was anything but a fan video, you know like everything else corridor digital does.

Between the uber-concentrated shot of sheer awesome that is this and THIIIIISSS, I don't even think I'll be able to wait for a Steam sale like I always do. I'm pretty sure those two videos just sealed a day-one purchase from me.

it's...BEAUTIFUL

mad825:

The Terminator, 1984!

Yes, this is slightly more sophisticated, but very in theme. If they had cheap/easy CGI in the 80s they probably would have used it just this way.

I fully approve of how they outnuked Nuking the Fridge.

Ldude893:

It's only a model.

Also this game better feature what they showed in the trailer. It looks like laser Katana fights might be happening!

Commander Bolt Lightning...COMMANDER BOLT LIGHTNING!

Best. Name. Ever.

Give me this. Now.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook