Wii U Releases Will "Dramatically Increase"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Wii U Releases Will "Dramatically Increase"

Nintendo is impressed with the 3DS's digital sales and wants fans to prepare for more Wii U games on the horizon.

The Wii U has been available at retail for several months now, but for some the console still doesn't warrant a purchase. Sure, it's new and that GamePad is fancy, but at the end of the day its library is a bit on the scant side, with only a few original and exclusive titles to its name. Perhaps learning some lessons from the content droughts that afflicted the Wii over its lifespan, Nintendo wants to affirm to its customers that releases for the Wii U will be picking up soon and fast.

"The pace of launches has been slower than we hoped," said Reggie Fils-Aime, president of Nintendo of America, speaking to GamesIndustry. "But as we prepare for E3, the pace of launches for Wii U is going to dramatically increase." While some will likely remain skeptical, there is recent evidence to suggest that Nintendo will fulfill this promise of new games. The 3DS, similarly criticized in its early days for its small selection of games, is now developing a more respectable library. Just yesterday, Nintendo announced a bevy of titles coming to the handheld in the near future. Among these will be new entries for several of its core franchises, including Super Mario and The Legend of Zelda. A similar slew of announcements for the Wii U could serve as incentive for reluctant gamers to adopt the console.

Whatever Nintendo has planned, there's a chance a portion of it may be digital. Recent digital sales have been enough to impress the company. "We have 15 Nintendo-published titles available, both physically and digitally [on the 3DS]," said Fils-Aime. So far in 2013, of those 15 available in this format, 11 percent of sales have come through full digital downloads of those games." While nothing has been announced, if this appreciation translates into more support for Nintendo's digital storefronts, it could be a potential boon to both the 3DS and the Wii U.

Source: GamesIndustry

Well, that's true. There are a lot of decent WiiU games on the horizon. Thing is, anything up from what it's at now is a drastic increase. I love the system, I really do, it's just that there's nothing there.

Still, the same thing was the case with the 3DS, and look at it now.

So you mean in the half of a year before the Wii U becomes technically obsolete and unable to handle the games developers are producing without 20x the optimisation and effort needed for the other consoles and PCs, they're going to release some games which aren't rehashes of PS3/360 games?

I bet one's a mario title

All I hear is noise. Noise that makes sense, mind you, but I'll show an interest in the Wii U once it actually has a decent library under its belt, rather than just talking about having one. Heck, they've barely even announced enough things to pique my interest, let alone released.

Of course sales will increase - You just gave fanboys a reason to buy your console with the recent debuts. How much it increases depends on how many of these fanboys are still fanboys, though; it's going to take several original 3rd party titles to make non-fanboys buy the console.

But you seem more interested in working with the 3DS, though...

Going from "nothing" to "something" is indeed a dramatic increase! :P

In all seriousness, there's about a dozen games expected from Nintendo by this holiday, and multiplatform releases or ports besides.

What I'd really like to see is Nintendo releasing some Wii U eShop-only games for ten dollars or so; imagine if the minigames from NintendoLand were expanded and turned into full-fledged downloadable titles. They could show off the GamePad's unique features and be as quirky and niche as they wanted them to be, not to mention they could release plenty of them every month.

With today's technology, we're seeing many indie studios capable of creating games that rival the fun factor of old-school Nintendo titles. I'm sure Miyamoto would be interested in creating smaller titles, and it would be great for employee morale if their pet projects could end up on the eShop. That's why GameFreak released HarmoKnight, which was pretty fun.

I think it's a serious win-win situation for everyone if Nintendo develops titles for the PS5/Xbox 1080/PC after the Wii U. They can devote all their resources to making games, their games can sell tons from being on all platforms, and they don't have to contend with the fact that they haven't built an online infastructure (an oddity for a Japanese company, considering that Japan is so big on investing in the future).

That said, there are more good games coming, and they've very quickly turned the 3DS from a complete failure into the best device for gaming on the market. Nintendo could surprise me, but I'll just stick to spending all my hard earned cash on all the awesome 3DS games that have come out this past month.

As a serious console I think its dead in the water. As people have stated the more mainstream consoles debut later this year with purported specs that leave the Wii U in the dust.

Unfortunately I will only really consider one when its cheap and all the nintendo titles that I want are out - pikmin, mario, kart, zelda.

BrotherRool:
So you mean in the half of a year before the Wii U becomes technically obsolete and unable to handle the games developers are producing without 20x the optimisation and effort needed for the other consoles and PCs, they're going to release some games which aren't rehashes of PS3/360 games?

They have a new 3D Mario and Mario Kart in the works, yes. I'd expect a Mario Party for Wii U in the near future too.

The limits of the Wii U won't be as detrimental to cross-platform development as we saw with the Wii, though. Most next-gen engines are incredibly scalable, so what runs on the PS4 should run on the Wii U (though it will no doubt be a pale imitation). And we aren't going to see developers abandon the 360 and PS3 until the PS4 and Nextbox have the install bases to justify it, so we'll still see the Wii U piggybacking on the success of Sony and MS.

Most third parties have games in the works for the Wii U - the only one to publicly turn its back on Nintendo is EA. Ubisoft, Activision, Square-Enix, WB Games, and more will likely make good ports for the Wii U in the future, if not exclusive titles.

Wait for E3 guys, wait for E3. From the January Nintendo Direct here's what we can pretty much expect to see at E3:

-Smash Bros
-First Bayonetta 2 gameplay
-Mario Kart
-3D Mario
-Wind Waker HD gameplay
-SMT x Fire Emblem
-More info on the Xenoblade successor
-Retro Studio's brand new game
-Yoshi's Yarn

And here's a list of what we might see

-Miyamoto's brand new IP
-Star Fox or F-Zero
-Footage or trailer of the new Zelda
-Whatever other trump cards they might have up their sleeves, there is probably a few things nobody will know about until E3

It's now or never for Nintendo, if they disappoint at E3 then they are pretty much screwed. However, with the list of games I've just shown maybe we might have some hope left. Nintendo has to impress with tons of good games at E3 or they're going to be over-shadowed by the other two.

I have faith here. As has even said they managed to turn the 3DS, which was once nothing, into a huge smash hit. If they work that same magic with the WiiU we could see something really special.

subtlefuge:
I think it's a serious win-win situation for everyone if Nintendo develops titles for the PS5/Xbox 1080/PC after the Wii U. They can devote all their resources to making games, their games can sell tons from being on all platforms, and they don't have to contend with the fact that they haven't built an online infastructure (an oddity for a Japanese company, considering that Japan is so big on investing in the future).

That said, there are more good games coming, and they've very quickly turned the 3DS from a complete failure into the best device for gaming on the market. Nintendo could surprise me, but I'll just stick to spending all my hard earned cash on all the awesome 3DS games that have come out this past month.

Every publisher on the market is scared of going up against Nintendo. It's one reason why third party support has been abysmal since the GameCube days. If Nintendo was devoting all their resources to developing games, they could easily release a new game every two months which would take a huge chunk out of the sales of all other major releases.

That may not be a problem for Call of Duty, GTA, and Madden, but for any publisher trying to release a new IP? It would be suicide. If Nintendo were to go software-only, which is twice as unlikely as Sony or Microsoft bowing out, I really doubt they'd stay out of the console business for more than a decade.

To be fair, Nintendo wont be alone in slow home console sales. Both Sony and Microsoft will be having a hard time coming their respective consoles as well.

I really like my Wii U, too bad there is nothing to play on it. So this is welcome news.

Scribblesense:

BrotherRool:

They have a new 3D Mario and Mario Kart in the works, yes. I'd expect a Mario Party for Wii U in the near future too.

The limits of the Wii U won't be as detrimental to cross-platform development as we saw with the Wii, though. Most next-gen engines are incredibly scalable, so what runs on the PS4 should run on the Wii U (though it will no doubt be a pale imitation). And we aren't going to see developers abandon the 360 and PS3 until the PS4 and Nextbox have the install bases to justify it, so we'll still see the Wii U piggybacking on the success of Sony and MS.

Most third parties have games in the works for the Wii U - the only one to publicly turn its back on Nintendo is EA. Ubisoft, Activision, Square-Enix, WB Games, and more will likely make good ports for the Wii U in the future, if not exclusive titles.

The Wii U has 1G RAM (for games) to the PS4's 7GBs right? And it's the sucky sort of RAM (it already has less bandwidth than the PS3 and 360). Thats a pretty significant difference when we want enemies on screen and AI. Maybe if people are still making games for low end laptops. If the next Xbox has sucky specs then maybe we'll have a console generation more in the Wii U's range. The Wii U is way worse than the Wii in terms of percentage increase on RAM and I think it'll also be significantly slower than the other consoles are in comparison to how slow the Wii was, but I think when the numbers get bigger the difference matters a little less too

There will be a transition year, it took a while for the PS2 to stop releasing games, but on the other hand production of Xbox games immediately switched over to the new hardware, so you can expect pretty much all the big budget games (except for the ones that got delayed) to be releasing on the new platforms within the year. It was a very noticeable occurrence last time for a big game to be released on an old platform. (Stuff like Okami being the exceptions)

EDIT: Switched out 8GB for 7GB. For some reason I thought the system RAM was counted in the PS4's RAM total when it was.

None of the upcoming consoles is likely to break 50 million units in my opinion. At least not if the economy continues the way it has for the last few years. Many of those sales last gen came during an economic boom, which really isn't happening right now. Either way, with 3 million sales in the first 6 months and a slew of 1st party games set to come out in the next 6 months, I could see the Wii-U hitting 7 million units pretty easily, and that would make it a pretty successful 1st year by most standards.

I can't believe how much times have changed since I was in high school. I don't remember anyone referring to Nintendo as a "toy company", or "second best", especially "not a real console maker". I grew up with everyone I knew playing Super Mario World and Final Fantasy 4-6, then moving to daily 4 player Goldeneye games, and even during the Gamecube having lots of fun with Smash Bros and oggling over Resident Evil 4 and the REmake.

It would be sad if Nintendo pissed away all of their good will with the Wii (despite there being plenty of fun games for "us" on it). It seems like a new generation of kids grew up knowing the tail-end of the Gamecube and the Wii, carrying the stigma of being "grandma and child machines". Nintendo will bring the games, and they'll certainly have that intangible charm and magic that just isn't emulated elsewhere. They pulled the US out of the crash, they have some of the best minds in game design toiling away, and they're the only company left that exclusively and entirely makes games and game machines. It would be sad to see them go, as Sony/Microsoft have far less love and passion for the medium, as well as respect for their consumers.

Also, if power and graphical capability was the magic bullet that ensured success, the Wii would have been last place in its time and the PS2 would have been as well. It is not an indicator of success. I'm sorry if I sound like a wanking Nintendo fanboy here, but I needed to get that off of my chest.

As much as I bash the Wii U on these forums, I'll wait until E3 to judge the validity of this claim. That's where Nintendo embarrasses themselves the most with their software announcements. We'll see if they repeat that trend.

While I personally don't care for or play Bayonetta, I can imagine that Wii U sells will go up when that gets released. Games like that are probably what the Wii U needs if it wants to be successful.

Well thank god for that. Even as someone who really wants to like the console I was finding it bloody difficult with the lack of games for the damn thing.

I'm have faith. While I still plan on getting MH3, I'am a little disappointed by the library thus far. Here's hoping for the Big "N" to pull through.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7128-Lego-City-Undercover

Is the kick in the ass nintendo needs to hear from everyone. But their fans who gobble up every recycled title and IP will prevent Nintendo actually innovating past their gimmick-based gameplay.

If they released a decent game for it half as often as they issue these statements that it's totally awesome and will have some games soon... I would have bought one by now.

Yeah, I just don't see it.

Since the Original version of this was made a few months ago, it felt as if the WiiU has only been losing games as 3rd parties lost confidence in the platform (Rayman: Legends going Multiplatform, Aliens: Colonial Marines falling away etc.).

The fact that he concentrates so much on the "3DS" in this statement, should tell everyone what a sad state their console is in till at least end of this year, at which point its competitors will be out already and they haven't even announced all upcoming games yet either.

Dexter111:

IMAGE REMOVED

Since the Original version of this was made a few months ago, it felt as if the WiiU has only been losing games as 3rd parties lost confidence in the platform (Rayman: Legends going Multiplatform, Aliens: Colonial Marines falling away etc.).

The fact that he concentrates so much on the "3DS" in this statement, should tell everyone what a sad state their console is in till at least end of this year, at which point its competitors will be out already and they haven't even announced all upcoming games yet either.

Your missing a couple of WiiU Games though: Yarn Yoshi, Shin Megami Tensai meets Fire Emblem, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD Remake, Monolith Studio's X, Pokemon Rumble U, The Next Legend of Zelda, The Next Mario Platformer, The Next Mario Kart. Plus, the multiple Indie games on the WiiU, as well as the launch of the Virtual Console soon, will make up for what you say is the loss of 3rd Parties.

Also, Watch_Dogs is coming out for the WiiU, the same time all the other ones do, as well as Assasin's Creed 4. And what of Splinter Cell, Deus Ex, Disney's Infinity, and (Heavily rumored) Bungie's Destiny?

Dexter111:

I'm just wondering what would happen if consumers realized that PCs are not that expensive and difficult to deal with and started trying out PCs instead of consoles. I'm not even sure if that would be a good thing.

I'm getting tired of WiiU owners telling everyone, "Just wait, they'll give us games...eventually. It'll be great!" I don't understand how Nintendo released the system with almost no games on release! I can only imagine how popular the thing would have been if they had just waited a bit and tried to speed up first party development. From where I stand, it's too late for the WiiU, they missed their chance. Why would anyone who hasn't purchased a unit already buy one with the new consoles from Microsoft and Sony just months away? They missed their window, the games needed to come out near release, and now it seems like they are just too late.

Splitzi:
I'm getting tired of WiiU owners telling everyone, "Just wait, they'll give us games...eventually. It'll be great!" I don't understand how Nintendo released the system with almost no games on release! I can only imagine how popular the thing would have been if they had just waited a bit and tried to speed up first party development. From where I stand, it's too late for the WiiU, they missed their chance. Why would anyone who hasn't purchased a unit already buy one with the new consoles from Microsoft and Sony just months away? They missed their window, the games needed to come out near release, and now it seems like they are just too late.

While I agree that Nintendo should not have banked on 3rd Party support (Especially since 3rd Parties hate Nintendo and Nintendo isn't the best with them anyways), I don't think it's too late for the WiiU. Think about it, the PS4 and the Nextbox are gonna be released with a handful of games, but only a handful of them. The WiiU, by then, will definitely have a lot more games (The ones it has now, plus a lot of Exclusives). On top of that, many of the games the PS4 and Nextbox are gonna launch with will also be on the WiiU (Assasins Creed 4, Watch_Dogs, Call of Duty, and Highly Probably Destiny). Nintendo can very easily steal sales from the PS4 and Nextbox Launch if it plays it's cards right, and the fact that Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Earth Bound, the Next Mario Kart and the Next Mario Platformer will be out by the PS4/Nextbox launch, I am safe to say they have. Although I guess time will truly tell.

Truth is that Nintendo pissed away a childhood full of good will very quickly with the N64 and Wii.
And I'll be damned if I'm dropping another couple hundred on another underdeveloped console.

The Wii sold like gangbusters because it made up for losing it's core audience by catering to casual gamers...which is fine. I don't think less of them for it.

The problem is that the casual market is still content to play carnival games and Wii sports and doesn't need a new toy to play with.

Short term gain is rarely preferable to long term sustainability.

Mr.Mattress:
Your missing a couple of WiiU Games though: Yarn Yoshi, Shin Megami Tensai meets Fire Emblem, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD Remake, Monolith Studio's X, Pokemon Rumble U, The Next Legend of Zelda, The Next Mario Platformer, The Next Mario Kart. Plus, the multiple Indie games on the WiiU, as well as the launch of the Virtual Console soon, will make up for what you say is the loss of 3rd Parties.

Also, Watch_Dogs is coming out for the WiiU, the same time all the other ones do, as well as Assasin's Creed 4. And what of Splinter Cell, Deus Ex, Disney's Infinity, and (Heavily rumored) Bungie's Destiny?

I already said it's a few months old, Star Wars 1313 for instance was recently cancelled.
That said, it does specifically state that it is a list for releases in *2013* and it doesn't contain yearly rehashes/remakes and the likes for the sake of brevity.

You can wish for them to bring a "New Legend of Zelda", "New Mario Platformer", "New Mario Kart", "New Whatever" all you want. This doesn't make it a reality till they are announced and have a release date and I find 2013 for any of them highly unlikely or they would've already said something.

The games being ported to the Wii U right now are because of the ease it takes, since it is comparable with the Xbox 360/PlayStation 3 in power, when games are solely developed for Next Gen hardware the amount of ports will yet again drop significantly (from the barely existant nowadays) since the Wii U can't do DirectX 11 and only has 1GB of useable RAM.

Dexter111:

I already said it's a few months old, Star Wars 1313 for instance was recently cancelled.
That said, it does specifically state that it is a list for releases in *2013* and it doesn't contain yearly rehashes/remakes and the likes for the sake of brevity.

That bolded Part, I think your wrong there. On the WiiU, it lists Game and Wario (A Continuation of the WarioWare series), Pikmin 3 (the 3rd Pikmin Game), and WiiU Fit (Wii Fit's 2nd game). Not only that, but it lists Forza 5, Amnesia 2, Cities in Motion 2, Europa Universailis IV, Sim City, Plants Vs. Zombies 2 (Which I'm pretty sure will not be a PC Exclusive), Sly Cooper, God Of War, Gears of War, Rome II, Wasteland 2 and Arma III, all of which are indeed sequels. 3D Mario Platformers, real Legend of Zelda's and Mario Karts are not a yearly thing either, so they should be included on the list as well. And Yoshi, we haven't seen a Yoshi game since 2006. How does Yarn Yoshi not count to be in the list? I would not know...

All I'm saying is that Chart is heavily biased against Nintendo, as well as outdated, so I wouldn't go around using it as the basis for the argument "The WiiU lacks games and will continue to lack them."

Mr.Mattress:

Dexter111:

That said, it does specifically state that it is a list for releases in *2013* and it doesn't contain yearly* rehashes/remakes and the likes for the sake of brevity.

That bolded Part, I think your wrong there. On the WiiU, it lists Game and Wario (A Continuation of the WarioWare series), Pikmin 3 (the 3rd Pikmin Game), and WiiU Fit (Wii Fit's 2nd game). Not only that, but it lists Forza 5, Amnesia 2, Cities in Motion 2, Europa Universailis IV, Sim City, Plants Vs. Zombies 2 (Which I'm pretty sure will not be a PC Exclusive), Sly Cooper, God Of War, Gears of War, Rome II, Wasteland 2 and Arma III, all of which are indeed sequels. 3D Mario Platformers, real Legend of Zelda's and Mario Karts are not a yearly thing either, so they should be included on the list as well. And Yoshi, we haven't seen a Yoshi game since 2006. How does Yarn Yoshi not count to be in the list? I would not know...

All I'm saying is that Chart is heavily biased against Nintendo, as well as outdated, so I wouldn't go around using it as the basis for the argument "The WiiU lacks games and will continue to lack them."

Reading comprehension can truly be a hard thing at times I guess.

* no yearly rehashes (FIFA/John Madden/NBA/CoD) <-- right at the top

A 3D Mario Platformer, a real Legend of Zelda or a real Mario Kart doesn't exist anywhere else other than your imagination for now, as soon as any of them are officially announced with a title and release date that changes. Yarn Yoshi doesn't have a release date or final title yet either.
They could not be very far in development and come out in 2015/2016 or if things take a turn for the worse possibly even not at all.

Nintendo needs to learn that they need to offer something other than Mario, Zelda etc. They need some new IPs, preferably mature ones. There's nothing on their platform other than Zombie U that interests me. More games like that would be good. Oh and drop the stupid U from games names, it sounds stupid.

Mr.Mattress:

Splitzi:

While I agree that Nintendo should not have banked on 3rd Party support (Especially since 3rd Parties hate Nintendo and Nintendo isn't the best with them anyways), I don't think it's too late for the WiiU. Think about it, the PS4 and the Nextbox are gonna be released with a handful of games, but only a handful of them. The WiiU, by then, will definitely have a lot more games (The ones it has now, plus a lot of Exclusives). On top of that, many of the games the PS4 and Nextbox are gonna launch with will also be on the WiiU (Assasins Creed 4, Watch_Dogs, Call of Duty, and Highly Probably Destiny). Nintendo can very easily steal sales from the PS4 and Nextbox Launch if it plays it's cards right, and the fact that Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, Earth Bound, the Next Mario Kart and the Next Mario Platformer will be out by the PS4/Nextbox launch, I am safe to say they have. Although I guess time will truly tell.

Your assuming that Mario and Zelda have any pull, as already stated if Nintendo want to increase sales they need other stuff. Fans of those games have already bought the system, or are waiting for said games, most others have no interest. Their all kids games, if Nintendo want to expand as they claim they need to offer stuff for adults.

Wow, I had forgotten about the Wii U entirely until I read the title. Doesn't that say it all?

RicoADF:

Your assuming that Mario and Zelda have any pull, as already stated if Nintendo want to increase sales they need other stuff. Fans of those games have already bought the system, or are waiting for said games, most others have no interest. Their all kids games, if Nintendo want to expand as they claim they need to offer stuff for adults.

Not necessarily true. The 3DS wasn't selling well before the Price Drop, and Super Mario 3D Land. After the Price Drop, and when Super Mario 3D Land was released, 3DS Sales jumped by over 100% in Japan alone! A lot of people think that most Nintendo Die Hards buy the console at launch, but that is not necessarily the case, as 3D Land provides evidence that a lot of Nintendo Die Hards wait for actual games to launch.

So what I am saying is, Mario and Zelda have a ton of pull. Will these Mario and Zelda games have pull though? We'll have to see...

Also, Mario and Zelda are not Kiddie Games, they're everyone can play games. Unlike Kinectamals, Mario does not try to speak calmly and slow, Zelda does not use pretty colors to appeal to children. Both of these games get incredibly hard, and sometimes even complex, as they go on. Zelda has deep story lines and sometimes gruesome lore. To call those games kid games is to call Disney's work Kids Films.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here