Wii U Releases Will "Dramatically Increase"

Pages PREV 1 2

BrotherRool:
So you mean in the half of a year before the Wii U becomes technically obsolete and unable to handle the games developers are producing without 20x the optimisation and effort needed for the other consoles and PCs, they're going to release some games which aren't rehashes of PS3/360 games?

I bet one's a mario title

I'd be surprised if they don't announce a Mario Kart game soon.

Mr.Mattress:

Not necessarily true. The 3DS wasn't selling well before the Price Drop, and Super Mario 3D Land. After the Price Drop, and when Super Mario 3D Land was released, 3DS Sales jumped by over 100% in Japan alone! A lot of people think that most Nintendo Die Hards buy the console at launch, but that is not necessarily the case, as 3D Land provides evidence that a lot of Nintendo Die Hards wait for actual games to launch.

So what I am saying is, Mario and Zelda have a ton of pull. Will these Mario and Zelda games have pull though? We'll have to see...

Also, Mario and Zelda are not Kiddie Games, they're everyone can play games. Unlike Kinectamals, Mario does not try to speak calmly and slow, Zelda does not use pretty colors to appeal to children. Both of these games get incredibly hard, and sometimes even complex, as they go on. Zelda has deep story lines and sometimes gruesome lore. To call those games kid games is to call Disney's work Kids Films.

A price drop would help, and I did say that the fans either already got it OR are waiting for their game/s they want.
As for Disney, most of their work are aimed at kids but the whole family can enjoy, all good kids shows and movies are like this including games like Mario etc. I still watch an occassional Scooby doo and Thomas the tank engine as their proper kids shows, if a show can't be viewed by an adult its either ABC for very young kids or very bad kids shows IMO.

It wasn't meant as an insult to Nintendo since they do kids/family games well, but since they said that they want to broadern the Wii U to include mature games and challenge the PS4 and nextbox, well as I said their failing in that regard. And either way, they need some new IPs
, some games where Yatzee can't start a line with "another bloody" *insert game franchise name*

BrotherRool:

Scribblesense:

BrotherRool:
So you mean in the half of a year before the Wii U becomes technically obsolete and unable to handle the games developers are producing without 20x the optimisation and effort needed for the other consoles and PCs, they're going to release some games which aren't rehashes of PS3/360 games?

They have a new 3D Mario and Mario Kart in the works, yes. I'd expect a Mario Party for Wii U in the near future too.

The limits of the Wii U won't be as detrimental to cross-platform development as we saw with the Wii, though. Most next-gen engines are incredibly scalable, so what runs on the PS4 should run on the Wii U (though it will no doubt be a pale imitation). And we aren't going to see developers abandon the 360 and PS3 until the PS4 and Nextbox have the install bases to justify it, so we'll still see the Wii U piggybacking on the success of Sony and MS.

Most third parties have games in the works for the Wii U - the only one to publicly turn its back on Nintendo is EA. Ubisoft, Activision, Square-Enix, WB Games, and more will likely make good ports for the Wii U in the future, if not exclusive titles.

The Wii U has 1G RAM (for games) to the PS4's 7GBs right? And it's the sucky sort of RAM (it already has less bandwidth than the PS3 and 360). Thats a pretty significant difference when we want enemies on screen and AI. Maybe if people are still making games for low end laptops. If the next Xbox has sucky specs then maybe we'll have a console generation more in the Wii U's range. The Wii U is way worse than the Wii in terms of percentage increase on RAM and I think it'll also be significantly slower than the other consoles are in comparison to how slow the Wii was, but I think when the numbers get bigger the difference matters a little less too

There will be a transition year, it took a while for the PS2 to stop releasing games, but on the other hand production of Xbox games immediately switched over to the new hardware, so you can expect pretty much all the big budget games (except for the ones that got delayed) to be releasing on the new platforms within the year. It was a very noticeable occurrence last time for a big game to be released on an old platform. (Stuff like Okami being the exceptions)

EDIT: Switched out 8GB for 7GB. For some reason I thought the system RAM was counted in the PS4's RAM total when it was.

The PS4's specs are beastly, especially when it comes to RAM.

There are a lot of "ifs" and "maybes" in the equation, but 7gb of RAM only matters if devs take advantage of every last inch of it. Like you said, the Nextbox could have much less RAM than the PS4, which would mean multiplatform releases would likely be tailored to that, which gives the Wii U a chance of seeing those releases as well.

All they need to do, performance-wise, is make the game playable. The Wii got every Modern Warfare game; I wouldn't count the Wii U out.

Scribblesense:

The PS4's specs are beastly, especially when it comes to RAM.

There are a lot of "ifs" and "maybes" in the equation, but 7gb of RAM only matters if devs take advantage of every last inch of it. Like you said, the Nextbox could have much less RAM than the PS4, which would mean multiplatform releases would likely be tailored to that, which gives the Wii U a chance of seeing those releases as well.

All they need to do, performance-wise, is make the game playable. The Wii got every Modern Warfare game; I wouldn't count the Wii U out.

I forgot about that, it'll be interesting because the Wii version of CoD was definitely really sucky compared to the others, but with the diminishing returns on technology this might be where we get to see just how important that sort of thing is to people.

raise your hand if your next gen console supports your current collection of games.

*nintendo (and possibly microsoft) raise their hands*

huh...

raise your hand if your console doesn't need a constant internet connection

*sony and nintendo raise their hands*

raise your hand if your console's online features are free

*only nintendo raises its hand*

people have been fortelling doom for nintendo since before the Ps1 or XBox were twinkles in their companies eyes, and guess what? nintendo have never yet had a catastrophic flop.

nintendo is the only console whose major flaw is "it's too gimmicky", when the other consoles either don't support their back-catalogs, require always online, and both will require a subscription fee for their online features, so it has an advantage being the console with the least amount of bullshit

honestly, most of the doomsaying seems to be "because it's nintendo" and "oh god it doesn't have gray generic FPS #413"

(then again, I'm the sort of person who would rather have fun gameplay than a slightly higher res shadow on boulder #612, so maybe I'm biased towards the console that isn't identical to the ones before it)

Dexter111:
Yeah, I just don't see it.

That is a pretty biased image.
First it compares the copy-pasta games from every console, ignoring the fact that the wiiU hasn't even been out half a year, and hasn't had time to become an appealing 'dumping ground'. I would suspect that many developers still aren't even sure how to get their games on this thing and/or don't yet have the time or money to make such special development. Then, it compares the exclusive... Again, not factoring in that it is being compared to two competitors, from a prior generation at that, that have had 6 or more years to amass their reputation. No one is going to make games for the wiiU until it starts selling more, and that is up to Nintendo. Just like most people didn't make games for the PS3, not until Sony gave people reasons to buy it.

This formula of image could not only be used to make ANY new console look fumbling, but any new kind of media player as well. Given Nintendo's successes with pulling the 3DS out of the oven, there is no reason to think the wiiU won't be doing better later on. Now, when the good games do start appearing, if their sales are poor and the console's sales are poor and devs still aren't wanting to put forth the time and effort to develop yet another iteration of "Call of Halo Gears 7" to have a wiiU version to, then another image can be made highlighting these genuine failures.

Splitzi:
I'm getting tired of WiiU owners telling everyone, "Just wait, they'll give us games...eventually. It'll be great!" I don't understand how Nintendo released the system with almost no games on release! I can only imagine how popular the thing would have been if they had just waited a bit and tried to speed up first party development. From where I stand, it's too late for the WiiU, they missed their chance. Why would anyone who hasn't purchased a unit already buy one with the new consoles from Microsoft and Sony just months away? They missed their window, the games needed to come out near release, and now it seems like they are just too late.

Substitute the words Wii U and Nintendo for PS3 and Sony

The point?Maybe don't write off a console thats only 6 months old as history has shown us that a slow start and weak launch line can be overcome

BrotherRool:

And I bet Nintendo fan-boys will praise that title like it's the video game incarnation of Jesus

Yay! The 3DS is running pretty strong too, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Luigis's Mansion 2, Pokemon X. Can't wait actually, which is pretty surprising. Now if Sony can bring back the Vita.....

I have yet to purchase a WiiU, and have been timidly planning to do so for a while. The only game I was interested in was MH3U, but I have it for my 3DS. The Wind Waker HD remake swayed my judgement a little more, so hopefully there will be other games shown which do the same.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here