Capcom Wants to Cut Ties With The West, Increase DLC

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Good.

Capcom makes bad games. They've got douchey, un-relatable characters; terrible acting; ridiculous stories; and grating melodrama. Good riddance.

Soo,it was the fault of the west that you followed up the mind-numblingly awesome Resident Evil 4 and 5 (OK 5 was only awesome if played with a friend, but I did) with the Toxic Waste burger that was 6?

Stop making excuses and make decent games instead Capcom!

Chemical Alia:
I'm trying to think of one Capcom game I ever bought and nothing at all comes to mind. They could cut out their games to the west completely and I doubt I would notice. Though "Devil May Cry" does stand out in my mind as one of the lamest titles for a video game I ever heard, so that's notable.

I can, it goes:

Megaman 1-6
Megaman X 1-3
Demon's Crest
Street Fighter 2
Street Fighter Alpha
Ghosts 'n Goblins
Bionic Commando
DuckTales
Gun.Smoke
Willow
Gargoyle's Quest
Breath of Fire 1-4
U. N. Squadron
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
MegaMan Legends

And that's just a partial list. So yeah, Capcom did know how to make a decent game and listen to their fans when it was warranted, but the passage of time has shown that they have become neither capable of good games or listening to their fans currently.

Although, I absolutely liked the story of Asura's Wrath. Once you can get past the repetitive gameplay, that is.

Yeah, Capcom. DO IT! More DLC! That's just what everybody wants. You've figured it out. You're so smart.

/sarcasm

Capcom, you're literally doing the exact things that are the reasons your games are failing. Seriously, people have stopped buying your games thanks to your DLC policies.

Think about that. When other games that people ARE buying have you pay an extra cost for online play if you buy preowned, YOU are losing sales.

Think about how terrible that makes you look.

"sales expectations" is becoming a really ugly phrase. Nowadays, every time I see it it fills me with contempt towards the one saying it. It seems like everything that doesn't sell a quadrillion copies is a complete and utter failure.

Go ahead Capcom. Seriously, do it. See how far you get. Your war with logic is reaching a climax and I for one, am happy to sit back watch you crumble.[1]

[1] He says with a Capcom related avatar...

I'm not sure about you, but the concept of making more DLC to make more money doesn't sound like the brightest thing to do. I buy a game exepcting the vanilla version to justify the purchase by itself, and that's really the part they seem to be having trouble with. I'm not going to buy Dark Arisen unless it's got enough content to be a sequel, and from what I've seen so far, it looks like and expansion pack you have to buy for full price (if you can't tell, I'm not impressed). While not outsourcing as much could go some way towards remedying the quality issues, if more DLC is the kind of attitude they want to run with I hope it fails for them.

CriticKitten:

Steven Bogos:
Earlier this year, Capcom rebooted its Devil May Cry franchise with DMC: Devil may Cry, which was developed by UK studio Ninja Theory. While getting generally favorable reviews, the game ultimately failed to reach sales expectations.

Can't imagine why. Might have had something to do with the fact that the game was built in such a way as to be a deliberate "fuck you" to the original fans of the franchise, even going so far as to take a direct stab at them with the now-infamous "white wig" scene.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that you focused more on making a political statement (as the clearly-not-Bill-O'Reilly monster boss working for definitely-not-Fox-News illustrates rather well) than, ya know, making a good game.

Maybe it has something to do with your policy of on-disc DLC in several games.

Or the fact that you openly killed a beloved franchise because you claim that it "didn't have enough backing" even though that's clearly a lie.

Maybe, just maybe, if you weren't being total, thorough, complete dicks about everything and anything, people would buy your games. Just maybe.

Good. Cut ties with the West completely. Don't let the door hit your ass too hard on the way out. I'm sick of seeing your tripe on the shelves anyways. It'll leave room for games that actually deserve people's money.

Huh. You know, when you put it that way, maybe Capcom abandoning the west isn't such a bad thing after all.

Maybe if they'd listen to what we have to say, things could have been different, but meh. :/

edit: Although, if they take Phoenix Wright with them (and it's not like they even gave us Gyakuten Kenji 2, anyway), I will definitely miss it.

Oh Capcom, you are the only company who I'm torn between wanting to see succeed and wanting to see fail miserably. In the perfect world Capcom would just give all their best IPs to someone who won't fuck them up and then quietly disappear.

strumbore:
Good.

Capcom makes bad games. They've got douchey, un-relatable characters; terrible acting; ridiculous stories; and grating melodrama. Good riddance.

*Opens mouth* ...No...No actually, yes. This is how I feel about their games. I own none of them, and I can only judge by watching others play them, but I can safely say I have no desire to own any of them either.

Now see this is why I don't buy capcom games anymore. the amount of bullshit DlC is endless

J Tyran:

mirage202:
Publisher refuses to listen to fans, fans dont buy games, publisher loses profit. Publisher blames every one but self.

Why does this sound familiar? Oh right, same shit, different company.

You have to wonder what these publishers actually inside their skull because it certainly isn't brains. "Since we began our DLC strategy we only met 50% of our sales estimates, we must invest even more into the DLC strategy to correct this!"

How can they be blind to it? People are getting fed up of this and Capcom are one of the worst for DLC shenanigans, maybe even the worst and now they are paying for it through customer dissatisfaction.

Because they don't see what the community sees, they literally are only given numbers, both of their own games and how other studios are doing and they try to find a way to make theirs as big if not larger than others. It would be like a sports athlete trying to develop a new car with only sales figures to go off and no understanding of how the system works or what people want.....

.... and the sports athlete has never been in a car because he/she runs everywhere.

mirage202:
Publisher refuses to listen to fans, fans dont buy games, publisher loses profit. Publisher blames every one but self.

Very much this.

All publishers need to die. Badly. Cut out the scummy middlemen and let the devs publish independently. It'll fix problems OVERNIGHT, I promise you that.

Stop catering to the unwashed masses and you'll be fine Capcom. RE and DMC would have never turned in the monstrousities they are now, like that.

... Resident Evil 5 sold 5.9 million units and you expected 6 to sell fucking SEVEN MILLION?!
That's 1.1 Million units more.

Fuck, what are these people smoking? I want some of that shit.

please Capcom, don't be surprised no one buys your games anymore. You still haven't released Miles Edgeworth 2, you piss into the fans' mouths by how you treat megaman and your 2D fighters are getting annoying and boring.

I'd say "good riddance" but I still want Monster Hunter 4 and the Ace Attorney games >:C

yeah...cuz more DLC really makes me love the company more lol...

1nfinite_Cros5:
Such a shame because they finally got it right with western devs by making DmC. I know I'm going to get a lot of flak for this, but I genuinely enjoyed the game. Ninja Theory is a talented developer and it really showed in it, bringing so much originality to the series. I was finally having fun with a Devil May Cry game. It's just saddening that customers in the gaming industry have such a knee-jerk reaction and refuse to get something just because of a different take on the formula.

I know people are justified to not want to get something because of face-value, but goddamn there were good things in that game.

*sigh*

Okay, this is something that's been confusing me for a while. When people announce a boycott for a stupid reason (no longer console exclusive, not enough DLC, PVP allegedly unbalanced/wrong or whatever), then don't follow through on said boycott, we laugh and shake our collective heads at their hypocrisy.

When DMC fans announce they aren't buying a game because it's missing what makes the game enjoyable for them (taunt mechanics, complex combos, high difficulty, weapon/style customization) and then actually follow though on it, they are 'knee-jerking', 'entitled' and even 'destroying a brand out of spite' as one person put it.

So I have to ask, what is a good way of expressing distaste for something nowadays?

I get the feeling that Capcom would be worse than EA if they were bigger than them.

Huh, and this is the year when Capcom actually started to appear on my radar. First the excellent DmC that made Dante to a character and not a piece of shit that he was and the soon to be released Remember Me...

But they'll still sell Resident Evil games right? I know 5 and 6 (especially 6) were let downs, but I enjoyed them and I would really hate to see the company act like an even bigger dumbass than they already have acted. I get why they want the Resident Evil series to be multiplayer and what not, but they need to realise that not every gamer wants to play with other people. Also, the whole, "WOW LOOK! 4 whole story lines!" is rarely a good thing. Each campaign was too short and personally made me unsatisfied as I never got invested enough in the story because I knew after 5 chapters that was it and it was onto the next game. And this is the first time I have ever said this, but the game was too streamlined. You got one pistol, one shotgun, one sniper, one machine gun, one magnum etc etc. Come on Capcom, don't you remember how great it was in RE 4 and even RE 5 to have different weapons with different upgrades. And how some has special final upgrades once everything else was upgraded. Remember the alternate costumes actually changed gameplay? How Leon's RPD outfit gave him the bullet proof vest, or how Ashley's knight armour outfit made her invulnerable? Remember unlocking the Chicago Typewriter after beating Ada's campaign? Remember getting the PRL 412 after beating the game in Professional?

Come on Capcom, I liked RE6, but lets see the next one come back to a better time, where guns were many, upgrades were a must, and we had incentive to play the other campaigns/difficulties.

I'm starting to see why Keiji Inafune left the company. Looking back over the last few years they've been unintentionally burning bridges every which way with DLC and underwhelming development (at least locally). Devil May Cry was one of their better games, being basically a new series with an old name, and they are scrapping it when it had a fairly decent turn out and probably would have been worth making a sequel for. At least, I know I'd be more inclined to buy something if the company has a sequel coming out, as I did with Dark Souls.

Steven Bogos:
"delayed response to the shift to digital media in the home videoames business,"

Shouldn't that be reading "...in the home videogames market" ?

But honestly, I couldn't care less about what Capcom is doing; seeing as how I haven't really bought any of their games, and given recent incidents that have come to attention (e.g. their first person shooter, "Maverick Hunter" being cancelled, which looked like it had a lot of potential), this recent event isn't going to change my mind anytime soon.

Though, now that I think about it, Remember Me looks like it has potential, I'll keep an eye on that one at least.

i hope all those dmc fanboys who was hoping the game failed are happy(not that that's the only reason). now (granted, they seem to have unrealistic expectations on game sales) capcom is overreacting and we'll probably see nothing but more of the same with lots of dlc

CharrHearted:
Wait, so this means no Monster Hunter Online for Europe or NA....

Pretty much sums up my rage, screw you capcom, you will not be missed... AT ALL.

I mean, how can they be so thick?! It's completely impossible these idiots think more DLC will HELP them!

Actually, this will be the second Monster Hunter MMO that won't be released to the EU or NA. Monster Hunter Frontier was their first foray into an online MH game. This one seems to be more of a true MMO styled game than that one though, at least I'm guessing.

As for this? I got one thing to say.

First they claim the only way to go is Western Devs, thus they get half-baked studios to do the games for them instead. The results? Bionic Commando for one. And Devil May Cry: Devil May Cry is a personal second for me, seeing as nothing in the game has won me over. Team Ninja games tend to have strong stories, but people also seemed to neglect (or didn't know) that the studio had brought in 3rd party writers to actually write the story for them, all Team Ninja did was provide a few scribbles as well as a glass of lemonade.

Second they come out and say "yeah we know our DLC is odd, we'll fix it" and now are saying that they are doubling down on the DLC. So... that means Day -1 DLC? Buy DLC for the game before it even comes out! And you're still charged for it even if the game is mysteriously cancelled at the last second!

I seriously can't fathom how they stay in business now. They don't have any major and well respected devs left, besides Mr. Street Fighter himself Yoshinori Ono, that they can two-time and go behind their backs on. They did that with Keiji Inafune with Mega Man as well as Hideki Kamiya with Devil May Cry, forcing them out of their own projects by getting a second dev team to work on sequels to those franchises that they were never even informed about.

edit:

ilexuki:
i hope all those dmc fanboys who was hoping the game failed are happy(not that that's the only reason). now (granted, they seem to have unrealistic expectations on game sales) capcom is overreacting and we'll probably see nothing but more of the same with lots of dlc

Oh grow up. We've already been seeing "more of the same" from Capcom well before DMC's Reboot was released. This isn't a new trend with Capcom in the slightest. Blaming the people who didn't want to support the game is stupid as well. Like I said above, the reboot did jack squat for me in terms of getting me interested. In the end you simply can't expect a studio that delivers at best generic combat to deliver with crazy hack-and-slash on the level that DMC (or its spiritual successor Bayonetta) could. They got close, and as a hack-and-slasher on its own it would be a great game. Yet with the DMC IP attached to it? It actually brings it down.

I will, however, give you credit for not throwing in the whole "THEY ONLY HATES IT CUZ NO WHITE HAIR" into that post. That's the kind of fallback only idiots rely on when they can't actually hold some reasonable semblance of a debate with others on the game.

ilexuki:

Well yes I am quite happy. Any company that tries to rile up its customers to get free publicity should be laughed at as it is burning to the ground under the controversy they created and the related IP is better off dead rather than mutilated by soulless suits.

Feel free to write this off as the ramblings of a fanatic but please try to pay attention to the real culcript here.

Well I was going to say that this was disastrous news because it means I'll never buy a Capcom game again. Then I realized I haven't purchased a Capcom game in years anyway, so crisis averted. Bye bye Capcom. Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya on your way out.

Jiefu:

J Tyran:

mirage202:

You have to wonder what these publishers actually inside their skull because it certainly isn't brains. "Since we began our DLC strategy we only met 50% of our sales estimates, we must invest even more into the DLC strategy to correct this!"

How can they be blind to it? People are getting fed up of this and Capcom are one of the worst for DLC shenanigans, maybe even the worst and now they are paying for it through customer dissatisfaction.

Capcom is definitely the worst DLC offender. EA, for all their troubles, has had some good DLC releases as well - the larger BioWare DLCs have mostly been good, and Lair of the Shadow Broker was a shining example of DLC done right. Battlefield had some decent packs. Capcom doesn't really have any successes to show at all, and manages to feel even more like they're engaging in product splitting.

Didn't Capcom actually sell a game without much of ending only to sell the real ending afterwards as DLC? I do not know for sure, never played it myself but it was called Azuras Path or something. The article I read mentioned it was a narrative anime story game with 3rd person combat, so messing with the end screwed it over even more than usual.

RicoADF:

J Tyran:
snipped

Because they don't see what the community sees, they literally are only given numbers, both of their own games and how other studios are doing and they try to find a way to make theirs as big if not larger than others. It would be like a sports athlete trying to develop a new car with only sales figures to go off and no understanding of how the system works or what people want.....

.... and the sports athlete has never been in a car because he/she runs everywhere.

Still you would think execs in charge of a consumer product type company would take some time every now and then to personally see what the customers think of your products, wouldn't that be part of being a successful executive by trying to oversee as much as possible?

wow, so they obviously missed the point here by a few hundred miles. they think their numbers suck because they aren't producing enough DLC? further evidence that the Heads of major game companies are business people, not gamers. I will be glad to see them go the way of companies I'm beginning to hate, by which I mean dying broke and alone in a gutter.

Oh, Capcom... try putting out some brand new IPs, maybe?

Your stuff was great in its time but you keep beating dead horses. That works for Nintendo, not for you.

New rule - after the second sequel of any game, you must stop that IP for at least 10 years.

The Resident Evil series has never been good and Mega Man has been extremely hit or miss and completely absent for several years. DMC and their fighting games are average in every sense of the word, so why do we actually care about Capcom and what xenophobic shit they want to pull? They're not a good publisher and will be going the way of THQ soon enough.

This is how Japanese game developers do business. They do not listen to ANY feedback from foreign consumers at all and just think that their way to do things is the best way, and if their sales plummet, they just blame the foreign developers and consumers. Believe me when I say that their attitude towards foreigners and their opinions fly through one ear and out the other. It's really messed up.

Of course, American companies like EA also screw things up so much too with their own horrible business practices.

This will definitely come back to bite them in the ass later on, and it will not be pretty. The crash of the AAA games industry is coming closer and closer... =(

See, while I still feel sympathy for someone like Square Enix, who is still trying to release good games but somehow doesn't get the fact that people would throw their wallets at them if they only released KH3, a FFVII remake, FF Versus or TWEWY 2, Capcom can just go rot in hell. Capcom is the kind of company that screws up, blames it on someone else like now (Or Megaman Legends 3, right?) and keeps doing the same half assed moves.

So whatever, Capcom. once you were one of my favorite developers. Now I just don't care anymore.

Neronium:
I'm still pissed about Legends 3! >.<

Son, no one will ever get over that.

No one. *Tear*

Blame it all on foreigners, boy what a common refrain from Japanese companies.
Seriously, that island hosts some of the most xenophobic people I've met in my life.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here