Curiosity Update Lets Players Pay to Add Cubes

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Curiosity Update Lets Players Pay to Add Cubes

Peter Molyneux's Curiosity now lets you pay to keep other people from finding out what's inside the cube.

Believe it or not, Curiosity: What's Inside the Cube, the first of Peter Molyneux's 22 Cans "experiments," is still grinding away. In case you've forgotten, Curiosity is the game with the cube and the big secret inside that will be revealed only to the person who chips away the very last "cubelet," a process that will be complicated somewhat by the latest update to the game.

Players can now pay to remove cubelets in blocks of 10,000 for 99 cents, 100,000 for $6.99 or 500,000 for $10.00 - but they can also opt to pay the same price to add the same amount of cubelets to the cube. It's a strange option to add to a game that's all about discovering what's inside, but in a way it fits with the experimental nature of the thing.

"We don't know quite what will happen in this war of attrition," the studio said in the update. "Curiosity may very well rapidly degrade to reveal its innermost secret or maybe the effects of automatically removing cubelets will be neutralized by players keen to keep Curiosity going,"

Cubelets will not be added or removed immediately under the new payment scheme, but will instead be handled when the cube goes to its next layer. As of early this morning, roughly 13.7 million cubelets were set to be removed from the next layer of the cube, while 4.7 million will be added, adding up to a net reduction of (get out your calculators) 9 million cubelets.

Source: GameSpot

They still haven't gotten to the middle of that thing?

God damn.

Pretty clever way of sucking even more money out of your 'game'.

It's just a shame people fucking fall for it.

0_0 I wonder if it will ever be solved at this rate it might take until 2016
Whatever is inside it better be worth the long hard pounding from all those people that the box is receiving >_<

Saviordd1:

God damn.

my thoughts exactly. i had completely forgotten about this thing

This is kinda genius, make people pay money to keep this going longer so you can make more money.

Yeah...

"Experiment."

My ass. This is money grubbing, off of stupid people. The fact that they fall for means I can't be too sorry for them, but yeah. "Experiment."

This is an "Experiment" in the same sense that trolling is a "social experiment."

Molyneux has gone past talented-but-overambitious, through lunacy, into head-up-his-own-ass "true art." There is absolutely no way any of this will not be a letdown.

Saviordd1:

God damn.

wombat_of_war:

If there is one thing history has taught me, it's that humanity will never be short of blockheads.

Interesting, they're testing to see if people will spend money JUST to be counter productive.

Unless the secret is Dungeon Keeper III I kind of doubt it's going to be worth it.

Not even a little curious here. Nope.

DVS BSTrD:

Saviordd1:

God damn.

wombat_of_war:

If there is one thing history has taught me, it's that humanity will never be short of blockheads.

Oh god that was painful that. Still loved it though but I suppose thats why people must still think that my humour is a little square

The only thing inside that cube is disappointment

If anyone I knew paid for this game at all, I'd probably slap em right in the face. It's from Peter Molyneux, there is no way whatever is inside is any good, probably just a self dick pic from him with a caption of "SUCK IT GAMERS!"

hawkeye52:

DVS BSTrD:

Saviordd1:

God damn.

wombat_of_war:

Oh god that was painful that. Still loved it though but I suppose thats why people must still think that my humour is a little square

You just need to add some depth, otherwise your jokes will keep falling flat.

So this isn't about the Mars Rover getting a raise for his brilliant work? I'm not interested then.

Saviordd1:

God damn.

There's a part of me that suspects that there is no middle, and it will simply continue generating layers until some future date when the experiment is "over", at which point they'll put a couple of layers on the end to make it the exact end point seem more "fair". In fact, being dishonest about it having a finite number of layers could in fact be part of the point, like some psychology experiments in the past.

All the while they are working on Godus and what the hell to put in the "middle." Speaking of "micro"transactions and such, did anyone ever buy that one copy only $77k DLC?

DVS BSTrD:

hawkeye52:

DVS BSTrD:

You just need to add some depth, otherwise your jokes will keep falling flat.

Thanks for the migraine.

OT: People don't 'fall' for this. It's not a scam. They pay to get closer to the core of the thing, and that is exactly what they get. It's no more a scam than fluffy stuffed hearts are during Valentine's.

Ukomba:
Interesting, they're testing to see if people will spend money JUST to be counter productive.

Everybody already knows the answer. Yes they will, they always have done, and they always will do.

Yeah, but a boat is just a boat! The box could be anything!

What was very dubious before is now an obvious money-making scam.

Saviordd1:

God damn.

There is no middle, it just a cycling thing. It is a false promise to keep people paying.

CardinalPiggles:
Pretty clever way of sucking even more money out of your 'game'.

It's just a shame people fucking fall for it.

Bernzz:
Yeah...

"Experiment."

My ass. This is money grubbing, off of stupid people. The fact that they fall for means I can't be too sorry for them, but yeah. "Experiment."

(13.7+4.7)/.5*10=$368

Whoo, enough money for most of a grocery run!

Seriously at least do a bit of math first?

This is the stupidest thing ive ever heard....I would already say that whoever spends money to remove blocks has too mauch disposable income, but paying money to add cubes....just makes zero sense. You dont even have the sadisfaction of trolling someone, cause you dont get any reactions.
This "experiment" is just a sad joke and the only thing we can learn is that some people obviously have too much money and/or time.

So... what is this? Looks like Doctor Who's "Slow Invasion" plot coupled with a money-making scam. :\

Profiting on the trollish nature of gamers? BRILLIANT!

Saviordd1:

God damn.

I guess there wasn't enough curiosity to go around.

halfeclipse:

(13.7+4.7)/.5*10=$368

"as of this morning."

As of the reporting, to boot.

On somethng brand new.

If there wasn't money involved, this would be fascinating.

piinyouri:
If there wasn't money involved, this would be fascinating.

I think the money makes it that much more interesting. Before it was just an experiment into how much time people might waste (I'm sure businessmen will say that time is money, but that's only true in practice for the top 5% of earners who've fubar'ed the global econemy). Now it's a question of just how much money people are willing to throw away. (This is going to be very interesting to EA and their microtransaction culture)

I actually downloaded this a while back just to see what it was like. It's very relaxing to play since the ambient soundtrack is so soothing and simple. However, when I'd finished chipping away for about 5 minutes. I zoomed out to look at how much I'd done and said out loud "fuck this."

It's now deleted.

The secret is that people will spend a lot of money and time to get inside a stupid cube just to see what's inside it.

I would say its a pyramid scheme, but its a cube... also, I already know whats in it, the most brutal gift of all.

But the real trick is that it's a computer game so they can (and do) just keep cycling with a new cube. This will end after people stop being interested in it. That's the whole "experiment". If this monetization project works they're going to keep going for quite a while.

I feel as though this monetization has went right over the edge of "underhanded" and circled back around the spectrum towards "brilliant".

I mean... if you people are really willing to spend money on something like this. Fuck it. Let them.

Denamic:

OT: People don't 'fall' for this. It's not a scam. They pay to get closer to the core of the thing, and that is exactly what they get. It's no more a scam than fluffy stuffed hearts are during Valentine's.

You'd be amazed how easily the human mind can be misdirected into thinking it wants something it then immediately regrets getting, or better yet, something that is actually detrimental.

A virtual "chipping away", in this case.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here