World of Tanks Suffers Security Breach

Pages PREV 1 2

Kinda happy I jumped on to the escapist today. I just got the game and I love it, even though everything after Tier II is WAY over priced.

Jesse Billingsley:
Kinda happy I jumped on to the escapist today. I just got the game and I love it, even though everything after Tier II is WAY over priced.

lol, how far in are you? Because about tier IV/V, you hit a veritable brick wall on XP. It's not all that bad though, because the extra time helps you learn what roles do what and how the game works in general. That, and the lower tiered matches can be just as, if not more, fun as the higher tiered ones.

For the record: My most-played tanks are T127 (got it free from some promo ages ago) T50, and my M7 Medium. Tiers 3/4/5 respectively, and I still have a blast. Though I've had less fun lately in my t127 due to all the golds flying around.

JaceArveduin:

Jesse Billingsley:

lol, how far in are you? Because about tier IV/V, you hit a veritable brick wall on XP. It's not all that bad though, because the extra time helps you learn what roles do what and how the game works in general. That, and the lower tiered matches can be just as, if not more, fun as the higher tiered ones.

I have a Marauder II right now. Still learning though.

CriticKitten:

Korten12:
How could they? Unlike Tanks, their servers were down. You can't give them free games the day after if they wouldn't even be able to get on the servers to download them in the first place! It's unreasonable to expect compensation the day after when they could do nothing to compenstate until PSN was back up.

Unless you expected Sony to wave a wand and magically give everyone free games to download through a mysterious second service...

You should read the posts you quote more carefully.

I never said they had to give the people free games the very instant that the servers went down. You made that straw-man up because you didn't have a response to my actual point: that Sony's response was handled in just about the poorest fashion of any major company in the last several years.

They denied the hack had even occurred initially. Then they said it did happen, but no personal information was stolen....which they later corrected to mean "lots of personal data was stolen" about two weeks after the hack. Easy to see how they might confuse those two things, right?

They finally admit to the breach and offer people a "free trial" of their subscription service....which was, to be honest, a pathetic attempt to sell more people a subscription to a service that had just proven itself unreliable. It was only after people complained about that offer that Sony begrudgingly threw in free games. They didn't do it out of the kindness of their hearts, that's for certain. They did it because they saw the response to the previous offer and knew it wouldn't be enough.

It's really quite adorable that there are people who still try to defend Sony as having dealt with the issue properly when in fact they're a textbook example of how not to respond to this sort of security issue.

And your mistaken, but good thinking I thought Sony handled it well. Despite having already stated I didn't think they handled it well. No point in arguing with someone who apparently also doesn't read my posts.

Also does it really matter if they feel good about it? If it feels genuine? If you honestly expected Sony to feel great for having to give out free games than you don't understand companies and their feelings to consumers. Did you want them to send a card to your house saying how sorry they were with a sad face?

The dev's behind World of Tanks didn't do this out of the kindness of their hearts, they did it because it was the logical thing to do so that the backlash would be lessened.

300 gold isn't bad. Heck I would have changed my password just to protect my favorite tanks that I tricked out to elite status or my tier 5 and 6 tanks.

Oh lovely. Good thing I use completely different passwords for my WoT account and Email.
*sigh* Better change the password again anyway.

linkmastr001:

The main point I was trying to make is that the whole thing felt like an "up-sale," where Sony was offering services/products in the hopes that you'd like them and by more similar services/products.

Oh man, it's like I'm two years in the past again.

I was livid when I saw Sony pitching a free trial of PSN+ as reimbursement.
To put that perspective, they gave their customers a trial, an ADVERTISEMENT (something that is normally a COST to the consumer) instead of actual reimbursement. It honestly did not matter how good PSN+ was; it was an obvious attempt at reconditioning, instead reimbursement, and that's just dirty.

Between that and the whole issue behind the removal of Other OS, I stopped even considering Sony's products and services.

Jesse Billingsley:

JaceArveduin:

Jesse Billingsley:

I have a Marauder II right now. Still learning though.

Which one is that again? The closest I can think of is the Marder II. I haven't actually played much in ages, so my knowledge is a bit spotty.

not to mention I'm fairly sure they've added a few more tanks...

JaceArveduin:

Which one is that again? The closest I can think of is the Marder II. I haven't actually played much in ages, so my knowledge is a bit spotty.

Its the one with the big blast shield and cannon in the middle. It's the tank you use to get the Hetzer. I don't play often either. only if I got time to get a few rounds in

Jesse Billingsley:

JaceArveduin:

Its the one with the big blast shield and cannon in the middle. It's the tank you use to get the Hetzer. I don't play often either. only if I got time to get a few rounds in

Okay, the Marder II*

That is the nice thing bout tanks, the matches generally don't last too long, and if you die you just pack up another tank and keep on shooting things.

Korten12:
And your mistaken, but good thinking I thought Sony handled it well. Despite having already stated I didn't think they handled it well. No point in arguing with someone who apparently also doesn't read my posts.

And yet here you are, clearly defending both Sony and their response to the issue. You quoted my original post (without reading it), defending the company's poor response time by claiming that they "couldn't award the games right away". Even though it was something I never said.

So either you're lying to yourself right now, or you just started this argument for the sake of arguing. Neither one makes you look particularly good.

Also does it really matter if they feel good about it? If it feels genuine? If you honestly expected Sony to feel great for having to give out free games than you don't understand companies and their feelings to consumers. Did you want them to send a card to your house saying how sorry they were with a sad face?

The dev's behind World of Tanks didn't do this out of the kindness of their hearts, they did it because it was the logical thing to do so that the backlash would be lessened.

Nor do I care what motivated them. This remains a good example of how to handle the issue, and Sony remains a bad demonstration.

CriticKitten:

So either you're lying to yourself right now, or you just started this argument for the sake of arguing. Neither one makes you look particularly good.

And I don't even think you understand what I am arguing about.

I thought Sony did a bad job at responding, with the delay of taking PSN so long to get back, the lack of information and the delayed response. However I believe the offers they gave afterwards were good, even if they were more or less to get people to buy more stuff and considering everything, I don't think they could have done anything without it coming off as being more or less an advertisement.

Korten12:
I thought Sony did a bad job at responding, with the delay of taking PSN so long to get back, the lack of information and the delayed response. However I believe the offers they gave afterwards were good, even if they were more or less to get people to buy more stuff and considering everything, I don't think they could have done anything without it coming off as being more or less an advertisement.

And as I already pointed out, it doesn't matter how good the response is.

The timing is what matters. If you've already lost the customers, you're not bringing them back no matter how much you offer them. WoW is starting to learn this firsthand, as its efforts to retrieve lost players aren't stopping the bleeding. Though in their case it's not bad customer service so much as people finally getting bored.

Quick response, 300 gold to change your password. Those two things just improve my already high regard for WoT. It's nice to see a gaming company really treat their customers as if they would like them to stay for a long time.

BTW the French UE57 with 100% crew rocks tier 3. ;)

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here