Arizona Police Investigate Super Mario-Styled Box

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Arizona Police Investigate Super Mario-Styled Box

Bomb technicians were called to inspect a golden mystery box with question marks on its side.

When gamers see a golden box emblazoned with a question mark, the response is almost instinctual. You punch that sucker and snag yourself some coins. In the real world, on the other hand, the appearance of a mystery box can be a cause for fear and alarm, which is exactly what happened when police were called to investigate the appearance of a suspicious box with no small resemblance to the question blocks from Super Mario.

Responding to reports from a passerby, police moved in to investigate the questionable package which had been left sitting in the road. As a precaution, officers evacuated around fifty people from nearby homes and blocked access to two streets while they waited for bomb experts to arrive. The technicians showed up at around 11 a.m and promptly opened the box. "Nothing of concern was in the cardboard box," said Molly Enright, a spokesperson for the Tempe police. Reportedly, the box contained only papers. The technicians gave the okay for people to return home at 11:30.

The people of Tempe were understandably upset. "They made me leave the street. It's just crazy, a college town like this I wouldn't think that something like that would happen," said Andries Efthymious, a Tempe citizen who had called police to report the box. Others shared similar sentiments. "I'm glad that it was probably some messed up person that was trying to scare everyone instead of a real thing but that shows you it can happen anywhere," said Jen Trask, another local resident.

While the videogame iconography branding the box is likely to amuse some, this incident is exactly the sort of the thing gaming community really doesn't need. Granted, no one knows the origins of the box, so it is possible this was all just an accident or a misunderstanding. It's even conceivable that, whoever did this, had no idea they were mimicking something from a game. That said, with many politicians pointing the finger at games as an instigator of violence, it's not in the slightest bit helpful to have something even remotely related to videogames be at the center of a real world panic.

Source: ABC 15

I have a hard time buying that the resemblance to a Super Mario style question box is a coincidence. This has much more of the "prank gone too far" stink to it.

I can't believe it didn't have a mushroom in it at the very least...

Looks more like it should be full of Wumpa Fruit than mushrooms but whatever.

"a college town like this I wouldn't think that something like that would happen"

~Isn't a college town exactly where something like this would happen? Students spend most of their working nights stealing signposts and moving ducks afterall

But yeah, really bad timing and not well thought out joke

Isn't that obviously a prank? Not everyone would consider a box in the street cause for alarm. I'd call that a bit paranoid even. If you want to see terrorists everywhere, I suppose it makes sense though.

While it'd be nice if people had a sense of humor, they don't. They just have a sense that terrorists are out to kill them personally.

This article reeks of accociating this sort of thing with damaging the image of the games industry. Well stuff that. You want to go walking around on tiptoes so that gaming can avoid the critical spotlight then thats fine- but don't place the blame for this bad image on innocent stuff like this- tackle the problem where it really is- in the eyes of those blaming gaming in the first place.

StewShearer:

"They made me leave the street. It's just crazy, a college town like this I wouldn't think that something like that would happen," said Andries Efthymious,

Sadly, Andries is forgetting that this college town is that of ASU, a party school where the students are more interested in screwing around than actually you know, studying.

I thought, hey cool a mario box, is it a mushroom or a flower inside?

Does that make me weird for not having the first thought "omg it might be a bomb!!"
Because that's defineatly not what I thought. Well good thing it wasn't anything dangerous in the end

Looks like someone did some weird math:

Aqua Teen Hunger Forces signs misinterpreted as bombs in Boston + Boston bombing + Video Games = Wacky.

Yeah...... no.

I bet if it was a traffic cone nobody would have batted an eye.

raankh:
Isn't that obviously a prank? Not everyone would consider a box in the street cause for alarm. I'd call that a bit paranoid even. If you want to see terrorists everywhere, I suppose it makes sense though.

It's probably part of that thing where you have to treat bomb threats absolutely seriously no matter what. Like if some kid phones up a leisure centre and says he's going to blow it up, protocol would be to call in the police and evacuate the building anyway.

JokerboyJordan:
I bet if it was a traffic cone nobody would have batted an eye.

Basically this. I think the terrorists win if you call the bomb squad for every single item that could potentially hide an explosive.

Well it is a college town I'd expect this kind of stuff, hell I've nicked traffic cones and spent half the next morning wondering where I got it, bet yeah an over reaction there. On the other hand considering what has happened in Boston people are a lot more paranoid at the moment and this prank is very badly timed.

So thats where I left my mystery box!

Sorry everyone!

OT: wow people are a bit on the paranoid side arent they?

...then again there are those asshole kids who have beemn making draino/tinfoil bottle bombs...

You guys know what? Fuck society, I'm going to do this.

Guffe:
I thought, hey cool a mario box, is it a mushroom or a flower inside?

Does that make me weird for not having the first thought "omg it might be a bomb!!"
Because that's defineatly not what I thought. Well good thing it wasn't anything dangerous in the end

Honestly mate, my first reaction was to start laughing at how genius it was. Now if the box had been green and purple on the other hand.... Run a mile!

raankh:

A week after the Boston Bombings and Ricin attacks? I do not call it paranoid. Let us say that a package was delivered to your house. This package has your name misspelled, has an oily substance on the bottom, and smells bad. You do not recall ordering anything. Do you open the Package?

If you answered yes, You are now dead, Because the package was a bomb (obviously). This scenario happens more often then I like too remember but because of the "counter-terrorism" classes that half of the government (and all of the military) goes through. You never hear about them because the packages are intercepted by the staff, disarmed, and kept quiet to avoid public panic (and because the liberal media has a bad habit of "black-out reporting" when they do not like the people attacked).

If I am paranoid, it is only because we have been too often attacked.

In this day in age, With the Boston attack only a week ago. With some crazy person mailing Ricin to politicians.

Really? No one stopped and said, "gee, Putting random boxes around that just Scream 'suspicious' might be a BAD idea."

Though, my money is still on a simple misunderstanding. Sill, INCREDIBLY stupid.

Desert Punk:

Sorry everyone!

...then again there are those asshole kids who have been making draino/tinfoil bottle bombs...

I hate those things. Not only do they blow up, but the gas produced is poisonous.

I mean strap nails onto the bottle and what do you get? A pipe bomb, just as deadly as the ones in Boston.

The sad thing is that if I was driving on that road and I spotted the box I probably would have ran over it and expected a banana peel to magically appear behind my car.

Gilhelmi:

Desert Punk:

Sorry everyone!

...then again there are those asshole kids who have been making draino/tinfoil bottle bombs...

I hate those things. Not only do they blow up, but the gas produced is poisonous.

I mean strap nails onto the bottle and what do you get? A pipe bomb, just as deadly as the ones in Boston.

If they put it in a glass bottle they dont need nails, a person who taps it with their foot and makes the two substances connect will get an explosion, poisonous gas and hot glas ripping into them.

I got a BIG lesson on the dangers of these for my job.

I would argue shit timing but... anytime since 9/11 has been shit timing for something like this. Radio ads telling you to watch out and report strange packages/bags/boxes left in public places would have been responsible for this. It's a bit misguided to think this turn of events is related to the recent events in Boston. Everyone should realize that the police would have been called for this anytime at very list for the last 12 years. It's only news because of Boston though, and that is terrible.

Edit: on a less serious note, that would have been the perfect time to Rob a local bank on the other side of town. OR the perfect thing to attract people to certain locations... such as the standard perimeter distance for another attack. We should all feel lucky that people who make decisions to blow up other people with bombs are not that logical and generally unsettles in a way that muddles their thinking. People's and police reactions are so incredibly predictable in this situations, they would be perfect planning for something bigger and far more sinister.

SecondPrize:
While it'd be nice if people had a sense of humor, they don't. They just have a sense that terrorists are out to kill them personally.

Technically, the terrorist are. Not just Al-Quida either. I monitor groups that do attacks both domestic and foreign (yes, I am paranoid. Only because they have gave me cause). We want freedom, of speech, of religion, of the press. Many who are terrorist want power and they believe that if they terrorize us enough, we will just surrender. But that does not usually work.

An interesting study from the World Wars. What we now call PTSD was common then as it is today among soldiers. But this was a different time, attacking civilians was not an issue (at least not like today) as long as you 'tried' to aim for factories (no one tried that hard mind you). So the study expected to find the same PTSD in the civilian population as in the Armies, but the did not. What they found was that the civilians were more likely to support the military and had more patriotism AFTER being attacked. The leading theory is that the "Universal Human Phobia" on killing, where soldiers are asked to kill (in combat) they are more likly to develop PTSD. But civilians, are rarely called upon to kill attacking soldiers, so they do not get PTSD (as often).

In conclusion, terrorism does not work, But that does not mean we should stop being cautious. We should always. keep one eye open for threats. Because, I do not want to die today, just because someone does not like my values.

Desert Punk:

Gilhelmi:

Desert Punk:

Sorry everyone!

If they put it in a glass bottle they dont need nails, a person who taps it with their foot and makes the two substances connect will get an explosion, poisonous gas and hot glass ripping into them.

The worst part is that when the police try and arrest the bombers. The idiots try to say "it was just a joke" to stupid to realize they just tried to kill me.

Did the police make any arrests in your case?

Gilhelmi:
We want freedom, of speech, of religion, of the press. Many who are terrorist want power and they believe that if they terrorize us enough, we will just surrender. But that does not usually work.

You seem right on the ball except for this point. Terrorism is not a way of making people surrender to another power. It's a false idea that they want to take away what we have. Terrorism is usually a form of retaliation. Terrorism stemming from the middle east is due to bad foreign policy and interventionism, for example. Terrorism is not usually random but focused behind a point such as the aforementioned. It's a stop messing with us tactic. But it does not have that effect. It ramps up American intervention in the instance of foreign terrorism. It's like terribly executed ideas of trade embargoes. People and organization (such as governments) think it will hurt the offending government. It doesn't though, it strengthens the offending government rallying it's people (misguided or otherwise) behind them.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Aqua Teen Hunger Forces signs misinterpreted as bombs in Boston + Boston bombing + Video Games = Wacky.

Yeah...... no.

That Aqua Teen Hunger Force thing pissed me off, I mean did they report electric bar signs to?
At least this could ACTUALLY have been a bomb.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

Yeah...... no.

well, it could had been one of those poison mushrooms..

you never know.

Baresark:

Gilhelmi:
We want freedom, of speech, of religion, of the press. Many who are terrorist want power and they believe that if they terrorize us enough, we will just surrender. But that does not usually work.

You seem right on the ball except for this point. Terrorism is not a way of making people surrender to another power. It's a false idea that they want to take away what we have. Terrorism is usually a form of retaliation. Terrorism stemming from the middle east is due to bad foreign policy and interventionism, for example. Terrorism is not usually random but focused behind a point such as the aforementioned. It's a stop messing with us tactic. But it does not have that effect. It ramps up American intervention in the instance of foreign terrorism. It's like terribly executed ideas of trade embargoes. People and organization (such as governments) think it will hurt the offending government. It doesn't though, it strengthens the offending government rallying it's people (misguided or otherwise) behind them.

Exactly, I am glad there are others about that understand military tactics. Thank you.

Well, I can kind of understand the caution, although typically speaking only really cheesy Batman villains make their bombs look so obvious (The whole point of a bomb is that it doesn't draw suspicion until it...well, does.)

I somehow doubt that it's Super Mario that they're talking about when they bring up violent crime and murder simulation, mind you. Unless...unless they're concerned about the drug use?! My god, mushrooms and money are distributed in boxes, many of them hard to find, such as the invisible ones! Mario is an addict!

And...and maybe he hit his girlfriend, so their mutual friend Bowser is hiding her in his apartment! And...Mario doesn't know what apartment complex he's in, because he's too drugged up to think clearly, so he's sneaking into eight separate buildings, pretending to be a plumber, and going on a violent rampage, systematically checking each room and terrorizing the inhabitants before burning the building to the ground!

Luigi represents his hallucinatory, Fight Club esque alter ego. The Minus World represents him completely losing touch with reality.

The Beanstalks represent beanstalks.

Uuuuuhh, what exactly about this is violent? The people there assumed it was a bomb, and it wasn't. It's not the box guy's fault they randomly assumed it was explosive.

I'm sick of this web page trying to say that there's some HUGE PREJUDICE against gamers, then coming up with non-gaming related stories to straw man their proofs! THIS IS RIDICULOUS! It's quite clear the local authorities were terrified of an attack from the the Riddler. I mean really people... know your villains!

Akexi:

StewShearer:

"They made me leave the street. It's just crazy, a college town like this I wouldn't think that something like that would happen," said Andries Efthymious,

Sadly, Andries is forgetting that this college town is that of ASU, a party school where the students are more interested in screwing around than actually you know, studying.

I was going to say something similar.

That apparently that person never went to college or something, because no matter how grounded or upstanding an image colleges might have, they always have a group of people that pull pranks and mess around, get drunk, do shit, and whatnot.

Heck at my first college, the drinking fountain outside my dorm room door just up and disappeared, and it wasn't the maintenance crew that did it.

Gilhelmi:

Desert Punk:

Gilhelmi:

If they put it in a glass bottle they dont need nails, a person who taps it with their foot and makes the two substances connect will get an explosion, poisonous gas and hot glass ripping into them.

The worst part is that when the police try and arrest the bombers. The idiots try to say "it was just a joke" to stupid to realize they just tried to kill me.

Did the police make any arrests in your case?

Oh I havent encountered one just yet. I just work for a security/asset protection company, so whenever a new 'popular' threat shows up we get lessons on the threat and how to deal with it.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here