New "Winter" Biome in Upcoming Terraria Update

New "Winter" Biome in Upcoming Terraria Update

Terraria's new artist introduces himself and shows some screenshots for the upcoming update, which he promises to be "really big."

Terraria, best described as "Minecraft-but-in-2d-with-wicked-pixel-art," will soon have a rather substantial update for its PC version. In order to help develop this update, Jimmarn (Jim) has been hired as a new artist, and in his self-introduction on the Terraria forums, he teases a few screenshots of a new "winter" biome, and describes his role in the game's development in a bit more detail. "To be honest I do something in every category containing graphics/design. Everything from Tilesets, weapons, items, props, npcs to player graphics," said Jim. He promises that the update is going to be "really big."

Terraria had a bit of a sordid history with its PC gamer fanbase. For a while, everything was all fine and dandy, with the developer releasing regular, free, content updates for the game. But one day, it simply went dark for quite a while, returning only to announce a console version of the game with a ton of new content and features. Developer Redigit confirmed that the new content was console exclusive, and that no new content would come to the PC.

Quite understandably, the game's loyal PC fanbase were up-in-arms. There was even some controversy from within the development team, with Artist Tiy apparently leaving the team to start up his own project in Starbound, which recently opened pre-orders in a Kickstarter style fundraiser. So, in an attempt to pull his fans back to Terraria from the impending Starbound, Redigit teased a new update to the game earlier this month, showing off a new kind of floating island, and some updates to the jungle biome.

These new screenshots, along with the ones Redigit teased earlier, show some pretty promising progress towards the game, and just might be enough to win back the PC gamers who were miffed by the console version announcement.

Source: Terraria Forums

It pretty much sounds to me that the development team of terraria is pretty damn stupid.
I am sorry to say this, and i am quite happy to see more content for this good game.
When they announced console exclusive content, they pissed pc gamers of.
Now they are announcing pc exclusive content and piss console gamers of.
I mean just stop with the stupid exclusivity and stop pissing people of!

I had almost lost hope! There are no words for how happy this makes me.

The reason shit hit the fan was not just simply because they suddenly announced a Console port with exclusive content, it was due to first claiming they were done updating the game (which got a bit of flak, but most could cope with it), then a while later post on their twitter (or whatever) that they're going to reveal something exciting for Terraria soon. Can you guess who reads the Terraria(until then PC exclusive) twitter? What do you think the response would be after hearing that it would be a console port after that anticipation build-up?

Either way, I'm glad they're updating the game again, hopefully they'll add more challenges to it.

There already is a winter biome?
I was just assuming the screens there are showing what they've done to update/pretty it up more.

I'm pretty surprised at the apparent amount of content this update is bringing in as well.

(Though there has been talk of another confirmed, but still unknown biome being added in as well)

piinyouri:

It is pretty bare bones, though. I am guess that this update means the Winter biome will be much for fleshed out and contain unique spawns all year round, not just snowmen invasion.

With as much promise of content as Starbound has, it is going to be kind of hard to pull me back in. But it is good to they/he is giving back to the Terraria PC project again. I remember a long time when I thought there would never be another content update for Terraria again. And anything being console exclusive never makes me happy.

I will never buy a console port of Terraria.

Looks good - but I want to see it and play it before I'm satisfied

I don't get what all the fuss was about.
I mean, I paid for the game, and it was cheap.
I had a lot of fun with it, sunk a lot of hours, so it was well worth the price.

Isn't that how you're supposed to judge a game?

Am I upset that plants vs zombies got a higher res version on ipad, which I don't get?
I mean, I think popcap is pretty dumb, 'cos they already have a working game AND the new art assets, it would take a relatively small amount of work to release a newer version (possibly at a discount for those who own older versions) and make a bit of extra cash.

PC gamers SHOULD be bloody well familiar with the concept of newer versions having more features.
I mean, nobody is dumb enough to go back to the store and expect a free hardware upgrade, right?
Ok, I take that back. I'm sure there are a lot of people dumb enough.

EstrogenicMuscle:

piinyouri:

It is pretty bare bones, though. I am guess that this update means the Winter biome will be much for fleshed out and contain unique spawns all year round, not just snowmen invasion.

With as much promise of content as Starbound has, it is going to be kind of hard to pull me back in. But it is good to they/he is giving back to the Terraria PC project again. I remember a long time when I thought there would never be another content update for Terraria again. And anything being console exclusive never makes me happy.

I will never buy a console port of Terraria.

Hopefully he can find some way to give Terraria it's own identity.
Maybe I'm being rash here, but I'd say based on what I've seen and heard about the development for Starbound that the once teased at and maybe possible space additions to Terraria would be career suicide at this point.
He's not going to be able to out space Starbound, so his best bet is to refine what's there to a mirror shine, and add somethings that are decidedly terrestrial.

I mean exploring planets in a simulated universe is great really, but I can't imagine any of them having a writhing Lovecraftian nightmare living at their cores.

Danceofmasks:
I don't get what all the fuss was about.
I mean, I paid for the game, and it was cheap.
I had a lot of fun with it, sunk a lot of hours, so it was well worth the price.

Isn't that how you're supposed to judge a game?

Am I upset that plants vs zombies got a higher res version on ipad, which I don't get?
I mean, I think popcap is pretty dumb, 'cos they already have a working game AND the new art assets, it would take a relatively small amount of work to release a newer version (possibly at a discount for those who own older versions) and make a bit of extra cash.

PC gamers SHOULD be bloody well familiar with the concept of newer versions having more features.
I mean, nobody is dumb enough to go back to the store and expect a free hardware upgrade, right?
Ok, I take that back. I'm sure there are a lot of people dumb enough.

Software =/= hardware. PC gamers are upset because they were promised on-going updades-minecraft style. The updates then stopped, and when they were teased at again, it was for a console exclusive version of the game.

This really hits the biggest fans who supported the game in the very beginning and turned it into the smash hit it was right in the wallet, because the only way they can experience the new features of a game they love is shelling out more money for a console version of the game (which may not even be their bag, they may dislike console controls or they may not even own a console)

It was a dick move

I never thought i'd be the first one to post this:

OT: Never played terraria, heard good things about it though. Might see if i can get it later.

weirdguy:
tentacle snip

Shhhh! I know we want Starbound and it looks great but I'm trying to build a case for Terraria!
(I totally forgot about that screen..)

I mean, I have the soundtrack here

there's three tracks for tentacle planet

Well providing the Terraria update comes long before Starbound's launch, I am SO making an ice kingdom to go with my frosty looking character.

Too little, too late IMO. They pissed all over their PC fans (the ones who made the console port financially possible) by slapping together a console version with exclusive content that they could not ever expect to get, and told them that there would be "on-going updates" only to change their minds and throw up a middle finger at the people who made them what they are.

And now that they've lost a lot of PC fans, combined with the looming "threat" of Starbound taking what PC base they have left, they're throwing together some token content to win back their lost fans.

Unfortunately, it's not gonna work on me, at least. I'd already long grown tired of the game by this point, anyways.

ANOTHER UPDATE FOR TERRARIA~! Woo~! This is really all I care about... I never was too bothered by the console port, but this? This is fantastic. Looking forward to it!

...so if you whine loud enough, kids....

Amaror:
It pretty much sounds to me that the development team of terraria is pretty damn stupid.
I am sorry to say this, and i am quite happy to see more content for this good game.

Sounds to me like gamers are pretty damn stupid.
When the Terraria port with exclusive content was announced it was also made pretty darn clear that it was done by a seperate team.
Same goes here.

Anyone who gets enraged about it or pissed off has to improve his reading comprehension.

@CrticKitten It's looking to be a lot more than a 'token' amount of content at this point.

@Mumorpuger Red stated that he decided to work on the game again because he himself wanted to.

Wait so we still aren't getting the stuff that the "filthy console peasants" have?

Watch how this update will be DLC for them.

Meh I am still more interested in Starbound......... Sorry folks will always go with the tech version of fantasy over the middle ages one.

That and screw the terraria developer. ;)

Too little too late for Terraria. Starbound just looks so much better and doesnt have that douche Red running things that there isnt much Terraria can do to compete.

I dunno, judging from the stuff that's been added to the console Terraria, most of the new fangled content is reskinned armour and even more OP weapons...

And considering there's a pretty big heap of mods available for Terraria, I'm not sure if some clouds, waterfalls and some more snow is really enough to return to vanilla Terraria, and it's certainly not enough to make me stick with Terraria, I'll still play it all yes but Starbound still looks awesome.

If the content on the Xbox port was especially shiny and fancy then maybe introducing those elements onto the PC version would get me more excited but since the Xbox stuff just looks... bland I'm not particularly excited.

I still love Terraria though, well... my Terraria anyway...

I wasm aware there is some kind of big update coming. I quit playing a while back while near the end of hard mode at the annoying boss grinding part. I will at least try some of the new content from the update when it's released.

Other people are saying they are more interested in starbound but I don't feel the hype and I don't pre-order. It looks promising and I decently interested how it will be at release.

One can never properly compare a game that has not been released yet to a game that already out. I don't see how anyone can say for sure if starbound will be better. we have the developers word to go by, some screen shots, a few short game play videos, and that knowledge starbound will be similar to terraria. That is not much to go by when comparing it to a released game.
If more than that exist feel free to point out where It could found it.

listen pc gamers... the differences between pc and console terraria is tiny. an extra sword, a few extra armors, and a boss. but the difference between pc and console minecraft is... huge to say the least. so... get over it? i guess that's my point. yeah. i'll go with that. get over it.

Steven Bogos:

Software =/= hardware. PC gamers are upset because they were promised on-going updades-minecraft style. The updates then stopped, and when they were teased at again, it was for a console exclusive version of the game.

This really hits the biggest fans who supported the game in the very beginning and turned it into the smash hit it was right in the wallet, because the only way they can experience the new features of a game they love is shelling out more money for a console version of the game (which may not even be their bag, they may dislike console controls or they may not even own a console)

It was a dick move

Speaking as someone who bought Terraria on Day 1..

I wasn't upset, just disappointed. Yeah, it sucked when Redigit announced an end to updates, but that announcement did not take away the hours of enjoyment I had with the game, nor did it warrant the collective temper tantrum many other fans threw.

Can somebody fill me in on WTF Starbound is? All I'm seeing here is "SCREW YOU TERRARIA DEVELOPERS! Starbound is like, so much better now!" Is that game even out yet? If not, how the hell can you even say that yet? XD

Jove:
Can somebody fill me in on WTF Starbound is? All I'm seeing here is "SCREW YOU TERRARIA DEVELOPERS! Starbound is like, so much better now!" Is that game even out yet? If not, how the hell can you even say that yet? XD

Starbound is the "spiritual successor" to Terraria, being developed by one of the two developers of Terraria.

http://playstarbound.com/

Tiy (the spriter for Terraria, and lead developer of Starbound) regularly posts streams about the game, demonstrating the game at its various stages.

EDIT: The Starbound community is so helpful and timely...

http://playstarbound.com/media/ (this is a list of official videos, browse at your leisure)

Also there's a number of videos on the home page, if you look through the history and older news.

Pre-orders for Starbound began about a week and a half ago. http://playstarbound.com/store/
From the first youtube, video you should be able to find other related Starbound streams. (though Youtube, for whatever reason, is prone to filling the related section with unrelated junk)

Uhm. We already have a winter biome? Granted, it's pretty useless and the new one looks a bit better, but damn. That's all?

Thanks for nothing.

Atmos Duality:
*snipper*

This Starbound thing is looking amazing :O Like Terraria, but 9001 times better!

I will be keeping a close watch on this

Amaror:

They definitely made some stupid decisions somewhere along the line.

But the core of the problem seems to be that the console version was made by a 3rd party...
Who decided to extend the game completely without input from the orginal devs, and then also didn't want to share any new content.
(Which is undertstandable if the 3rd party dev only gets money for the console version. What incentive do they have to share their work with another version of the game that they don't get paid for?)

It's stupid nonetheless, but not for the reasons it might at first appear. (I mean, if the same team worked on both version, then it really would make no sense whatsoever to withhold content from any of the versions...)

Business gets pretty messy it seems when you sub-license stuff...

CrystalShadow:

Business gets pretty messy it seems when you sub-license stuff...

The one defense I offer for Redigit (who made many mistakes), is that it would be highly impractical to keep the content synchronous between PC Terraria and Console (specifically, Xbox) Terraria.

Mostly because XBLA charges an insane sum to host patches and updates.
Hence, the separate team working on the console version, and the console-exclusive content.

It's still a double-standard, but given the circumstances, it's very difficult to not be for the purpose of developing any new content.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here