Gearbox Snags Homeworld Rights

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Oh, so that's who had the heart to crush the dreams of over a thousand people.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123390-Save-Homeworld-Fails-to-Save-Homeworld-Makes-New-Game-Instead

flarty:

mirage202:
Well, that killed my hopes for Homeworld 3.

RTS really is a dying genre isn't it?

Hopefully 2k will show some footage of a fps gearbox has produced called homeworld. You know where im going with this?

Please let it be so.

Starcraft is alright (2 I mean) but it's focus is.. a little off for me personally, as someone else said, it's all about APM and build orders, fair enough that is strategy in it's own right, but not the kind I look for.

Sins was good, Hegemony is another good one and the Total War games I love. Yet everything else is kind of meh. I'm not quite ready to blame MOBAs yet as it is just the current bandwagon, consoles and publisher focus on them is an obvious part of the decline though.

I'd love to look to indie devs to revitalize the RTS genre, alas unfortunately they are too busy copying the practices of the big publishers and are all (figure of speech, not literal) trying to do the same thing. Seems for every 10 Indie games announced 9 of those are some form of single gimmick puzzle platformer, every one wanting to be the next Journey/Braid/Limbo etc.

Could have been a SoaSE 2, but no they made a MOBA, could have had a SupCom3, but no SupCom2 had to go and ruin it by trying to appeal to console gamers. Now we see Gearbox of all people with Homeworld, why? What can they possibly do better than Stardock, or Paradox? Hell even those guys with the kickstarter would have given it the care it deserves if nothing else.

Yeah not sure where I was going with that really aside from having gone from a little hope of a HW3, to no hope at all. Could be wrong, but I've found pessimism serves me much better than optimism with news like this.

Bill Nye the Zombie:

omicron1:
Gearbox is associated with Sega. Sega owns Relic. Gearbox have a history of studio collaboration.
I say they're working together.

Sega also owns Creative Assembly. I feel like Sega is going to "suggest" that both Relic and Creative Assembly "help" Gearbox with this one, just so Gearbox gets some good press for something other than Borderlands. Or cause Sega wants to put out good game. Either works.

Thing is, if SEGA was that interested, why didn't they just buy the rights when they picked up Relic? Why wait until someone else snatches them up and then have to do the whole multi-developer dance, that more often than does not end well? Nope, I'm just seeing failure all over the horizon with this adquisition.

Andy Shandy:
Well these can only end well. Whenever Gearbox has its' hands on a previously loved license, well...we've seen the results.

the results?

yeah, the half-life 1 expansion packs were amazing, the Halo 1 PC port rocked socks with the custom edition addition thingy that allowed for custom maps........

The only other series they have worked with are Duke Nukem, a game they didn't make, and Aliens, ANOTHER game THEY DIDN'T MAKE, when Gearbox actually makes games, they are always good.

I'm not sure whether to cry out of joy or cry for help.

If there was EVER a time to not fuck up, Gearbox, this is it. Do not break my heart. Do not make me break your necks.

Sigh I would really love to see a homeworld RPG. I don't imagine we are going to get it though as Gearbox seems to only make shooters.

DVS BSTrD:
Gearbox CAN make this work, it's certainly got a better shot by virtue of being acquired title someone there actually WANTs to develop.

Eh... So you are saying this title has a better chance because the people there want to work on it? Duke Nukem would love to speak to you...

That is, he'd love to speak to you if it wasn't for the fact that Gearbox is drowning him in his own shit...

Yaaaaaay, looking forward to another disaster from gearbox just like Duke and Aliens. Let the good train wreck roll.

cursedseishi:

Eh... So you are saying this title has a better chance because the people there want to work on it? Duke Nukem would love to speak to you...

fun fact, DNF wasn't made by Gearbox, it was made by 3D rRealms, and released by Gearbox.

mirage202:
snip

I love RTS but i usually find myself Tropico and Anno more than anything these days, think i like the relaxed pace. But saying that TBS have made a big come back since Civ and XCOM and theres a few indie projects developing there own. I doubt it will be long till the same is true for RTS.

SajuukKhar:

cursedseishi:

fun fact, DNF wasn't made by Gearbox, it was made by 3D rRealms, and released by Gearbox.

I wouldn't waste your breath, everyone refuses to believe it.

OH THE HUMANITY!!
To add insult to the injury Stardock and Paradox Interactive were second and third in the bidding war.

The Gentleman:

No love for Stardock?

"Starts leaping up and down, screaming something about the awesomeness of Galatic Civilizations and Stardock in general"

Oh well I guess I will have to be happy with more Crusader Kings II dlc and Sins of a Solar Empire expansions if I want to play any real new strategy games that I haven't mastered yet. (maybe Europa Universalis IV shall quench my thirst for world domination for a while when it finally comes out)

This is fucking horrible. Considering Relic still exists and is simply owned by Sega, I was really hoping Sega would pick this up.

Gearbox is not a studio that makes games I like. Even Borderlands I'm not entirely fond of. Homeworld was a strategic and complex game, and one of the very few space RTS games that featured fully 3D ship positioning, and if it sounds hard to control Relic somehow made it work. It was a cerebral game, and a tactical challenge that was made fun and rewarding by a great user interface.

Gearbox, on the other hand, makes games that are built to entertain anyone who has two working braincells to bang together (with the possible exception of the first Brothers in Arms). This is compounded by their abysmal user interface history. Gearbox can't even make equipping a gun from a list a smooth experience on the PC (the fucking scroll wheel glitch is STILL IN THE FUCKING GAME) I have the absolute lowest, and I mean lowest, hopes for this once excellent series.

Man, the tech demo for this is going to be AMAZING!

PS: I'm sad that my favourite dev/publisher Paradox didn't get it, though...

Yeah, nah. I have zero faith in Gearbox making this work.

I can't even bring myself to say that I hope I'm wrong. It in all likelihood won't happen.

I don't blame them for Duke Nukem Forever, and I know they've made good games in the past but this... this has me so skeptical.

Bookmark this article, people. If Gearbox does screw it up in the future, we'll know we all called it.

You know what, I'm anticipating a few horrid things here:
1 - It will lack fully 3D ship positioning.
2 - Larger ships will no longer have sub-systems that can be manually targeted.
3 - Fleetwood Mac will get another round.
4 - Add your own!

Another great IP lost to the hands of incompetent developers......
Sheesh

Any news is good news to me concerning Homeworld. I thought it was completely dead as a franchise.

fix-the-spade:

If they make a decent job of this then great. If they Borderlands PC port this I'll personally mail a head crab (live) to Randy Pitchford.

I shall sell him an office chair!

OT: I hope they do well with this...if not

Is this worrisome? Yes.

Is it cause for doom and gloom and end of the homeworld muttering? Not yet.

Let us wait and see what comes of this. Keep hope, and we may even be pleasantly surprised.

Falterfire:

omicron1:
Gearbox is associated with Sega. Sega owns Relic. Gearbox have a history of studio collaboration.
I say they're working together.

If Relic gets involved, I will support this so hard. I loved Impossible Creatures to death. (Impossible Creatures is the Relic game everybody loves them for, right?)

Relic also, you know, made both Homeworld games...

Also, Falterfire is simply wrong. Gearbox is in no way associated with Sega besides helping them secure the license for Aliens Colonial Marines. Gearbox is a privately held studio with no publisher.

/sadface

One the one hand I guess I should be happy that a new homeworld game happens at all. On the other, It's sad that Gearbox probably doesn't have a clue on how to treat the series properly.

It would be great to see another Homeworld game...a good one anyway. Even if part me would be downright terrified at the thought of facing off against the Kadeshi again. I never actually made it past the Cathedral of Kadesh level.

Still, here's hoping they can make this work.

cursedseishi:

SajuukKhar:

flarty:

To be fair, Gearbox was the one who assembled all those pieces of fail it into a game, but I can't imagine they were very thrilled once they actually saw what they were dealing with. By comparison with previous outside IPs this one is lucky to have relatively few strings attached and Gearbox has no other pet projects to distract them. Homeworld has a chance for a completely fresh start, and there is nothing I'm aware of to prevent them from making a good game out of this. We know they are good with stats at least.

Andy Chalk:
The studio that brought you Aliens: Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem Forever is now going to work its magic on Homeworld, and while I'm perhaps being a bit harsh for the sake of a zing - after all, Gearbox is also responsible for the reasonably decent Borderlands and Brothers In Arms - I can't say that my heart is aflutter with relief that it's these guys who ended up with the rights to Relic's storied space opera RTS.

Wasn't the first Brothers in Arms the highest rated WW2 game ever?

Good bye Homeworld franchise.

Wait! on the maintenance frequency... I'm receiving a signal from the cryo trays in orbit, one of them is suffering a massive malfunction.

This thread makes me sad, why do I even click on stuff like this? Also, never even heard of homeworld c:

Damn, Gearbox really fucked their reputation with gamers. This is not a friendly thread, not that I can blame anyone for a lack of enthusiasm for this news.

DVS BSTrD:
To be fair, Gearbox was the one who assembled all those pieces of fail it into a game, but I can't imagine they were very thrilled once they actually saw what they were dealing with.

Gearbox was faced with either prolong the joke of DNF development or put this chapter of Duke to bed. since they had just purchased the rights and was probably well aware that nothing could live up to the hype, they decided on the latter. Thinking about the long term and when they could put the rights to good use in the next game that didn't have a decade of hype.

People, people chill it could have been worse... EA could have bought the rights! I'll leave you with that nightmarish thought.

The best thing Gearbox can do is a HD re release of the original Homeworld. Also Cataclysm that spin off of home world was greatly underrated.

HW2 meh it wasn't so great anyway compared to the original it went too Star Warsy chosen one prophecy in the story.

DVS BSTrD:

cursedseishi:

SajuukKhar:

flarty:

To be fair, Gearbox was the one who assembled all those pieces of fail it into a game, but I can't imagine they were very thrilled once they actually saw what they were dealing with. By comparison with previous outside IPs this one is lucky to have relatively few strings attached and Gearbox has no other pet projects to distract them. Homeworld has a chance for a completely fresh start, and there is nothing I'm aware of to prevent them from making a good game out of this. We know they are good with stats at least.

Andy Chalk:
The studio that brought you Aliens: Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem Forever is now going to work its magic on Homeworld, and while I'm perhaps being a bit harsh for the sake of a zing - after all, Gearbox is also responsible for the reasonably decent Borderlands and Brothers In Arms - I can't say that my heart is aflutter with relief that it's these guys who ended up with the rights to Relic's storied space opera RTS.

Wasn't the first Brothers in Arms the highest rated WW2 game ever?

Company of Heroes was rated higher... and like Homeworld, was developed by Relic.

Alright... *coughs*

SajuukKhar:

-snip-

Fun Fact: Gearbox OBTAINED, PUT TOGETHER, and RELEASED Duke Nukem Forever. The game wasn't completed when they got the rights to the IP. No one was forcing them to release the game, and no one has certainly been holding a gun to their heads and make them defend every single fault of that game.

But hey, let's apply this same logic to Aliens: Colonial Marines, shall we? I mean it's only fair right? I mean sure, Gearbox outright lied and claimed that a majority of the game, if not all, was being done in house, and they likely were the ones who created the "demo" video that was gallivanted about.

Cause hey! Fun Fact! It wasn't them who worked on the disastrously terrible single player! It was some other guys! Gearbox is at no fault at all here! All they did was the mediocre, barebones multiplayer while using all of Sega's money to fund not just Borderlands 1, but most likely Borderlands 2 as well!

flarty:

-snip-

I wouldn't waste your breath either bub, everyone knows you're wrong on that point.

Fact of the matter is Gearbox put their names in big old spots on those boxes. Responsibility ultimately falls upon them to ensure the quality of the product seeing as the former studios working on the game went bust. The comment they made of "we wanted to ensure their vision of the product" was nothing more than cheap PR crap because they couldn't just come out and say "we wanted to exploit a major series's name without actually putting in a lot of dev or QA time on the product!".

I mean hey, I like Borderlands 2. Its good fun, but that doesn't make Gearbox some untouchable paragon. Just like how Bioware's past work doesn't protect the company from the shitload of lazy, halfassed choices made during not just 1, or even 2, but 3 games dev cycles.

fix-the-spade:
Maybe they're sick of making shooters over and over?

Maybe they'll turn this into a shooter.

Or funnel the funding into a shooter.

Whatwhat:
OH THE HUMANITY!!
To add insult to the injury Stardock and Paradox Interactive were second and third in the bidding war.

The Gentleman:

No love for Stardock?

"Starts leaping up and down, screaming something about the awesomeness of Galatic Civilizations and Stardock in general"

Oh well I guess I will have to be happy with more Crusader Kings II dlc and Sins of a Solar Empire expansions if I want to play any real new strategy games that I haven't mastered yet. (maybe Europa Universalis IV shall quench my thirst for world domination for a while when it finally comes out)

I'm actually quite torn on whether or not I would have wanted Stardock to get the rights. Sure, they can make a great game, and I've yet to see a game of theirs without a deep lore behind it, but none of them had a campaign.

Homeworld, while excellent games mechanically (and after viewing a few videos of HW2 after reading this, still holds up visually by today's standards), was really about the story. The themes are somber, and distinctly tribal in nature. The second game felt like it was a great tale straight out of the sands of history, thanks to the narrative combined with a narrator who sounded like an elder speaking to children. The lore behind it is rich, but is revealed only on the most macro level (they found a ship in the sands with a core and a map to their home world). In the second game, there was only two real characters (S'Jet and Makaan), and everything else is about the fleet.

I could get behind Stardock getting the rights, but only if a different creative team, particularly one that aimed to continue the themes of the original two games, were to take the helm.

ChemicalAlia:
This thread makes me sad, why do I even click on stuff like this? Also, never even heard of homeworld c:

Dont worry, I have faith in you, just know I will be highly disappointed if it doesn't come out well!

And you haven't heard of homeworld? :0

If it was on GoG I would buy you a copy so you could see what you have been missing out on!

no....No..........NO!....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Why!!!!!??? Oh lord the humanity! My favorite space RTS of all time in the hands of the same people who made Duken Nukem and Aliens Colonial Marines! Do they even know HOW to make an RTS game? Let alone an RTS game on the same caliber as the Homeworld franchise? Gearbox, I swear to god....don't fuck this up.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 58872)