Gearbox Snags Homeworld Rights

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Surely after Duke Nukem:Forever and Aliens:Colonial Marines they would have learnt to leave other IPs alone. Is anyone at this point really going to trust them with this?

On the bright side, they seem to have the intention of re-releasing them on GOG.com and Steam. I can at least get behind this.

omicron1:
Gearbox is associated with Sega.

How so? As far as I know, SEGA and Gearbox had the relationship of pub->dev for Aliens:Colonial Marines and now that the game is finished they have nothing to do with each other anymore.

DVS BSTrD:
Gearbox CAN make this work, it's certainly got a better shot by virtue of being acquired title someone there actually WANTs to develop.

I'd agree with you but this is Gearbox. When discussing Aliens:Colonial Marines in the dev diaries, the tweets and the countless interviews they had, it gave me hope because they seemed to genuinely want to make an Aliens game and a good one at that. Of course when the game was released, all of this meant jack. Acta non verba Gearbox.

Man this has made me cynical >.>.

cursedseishi:
Snip

It says right in the game:

Triptych made it, not Gearbox. Content was complete in Nov 2009, meaning that there was only a little over a year that the project was under Gearbox's wing. That's just enough time to get the multiplayer running and then ship it. Gearbox's name might have been on that turd, but they aren't responsible for why it sucked.

Dear Gearbox.

If you make a shooter, it better be one where your flying a fighter.

Or I'll set the Naggarok on you.

Yours sincerely
Vie.

SajuukKhar:

fun fact, DNF wasn't made by Gearbox, it was made by 3D rRealms, and released by Gearbox.

True. They just worked to acquire the rights to it. They saw the unfinished, poorly designed, buggy, shit state the project was in. Then decided to release it anyway, as is, with an insultingly undeserving sixty dollar price tag.

Yeah. We shouldn't be mad at Gearbox for Duke Nukem: Forever at all...

Darth Sea Bass:
People, people chill it could have been worse... EA could have bought the rights! I'll leave you with that nightmarish thought.

Meh. Wouldn't have happened.

Homeworld, as a franchise, isn't "hardcore" enough for them. It isn't a Call of Duty wannabe. It isn't a sports title. It's too complex with it's more than two action keys. And, it's in a genre that's too "strange" to homogenize without directly competing with their own Sims franchise.

Now, Activision on the other hand....

Well, this was bound to end badly.

If Relic had bought the rights, I would've been pissed, because Relic are so far removed from anything Homeworld-related nowadays, that I couldn't trust them to do anything interesting with the series.

If TeamPixel had bought the rights, I would've been pissed, because they don't have the resources to make another game in the series.

BlackBird Interactive (the studio where some former Homeworld dev's now work at) would've been fantastic, but they're a young studio still trying to establish themselves, and resurrecting a franchise that has been dead for a decade is probably not a priority for them at this point.

But Gearbox? Not only do they have no experience with the RTS genre, but their track-record when working with licenses that don't belong to them is not exactly stellar either.

Therumancer:

mirage202:
Well, that killed my hopes for Homeworld 3.

RTS really is a dying genre isn't it?

Well, I think the issue is that Blizzard set the mark so high, and has dominated the scene so intensely with Starcraft that most companies are afraid to even try, the last real attempt was from the "Command And Conquer" franchise and it didn't go all that well.

When did Command & Conquer ever try to compete with Starcraft?

Yoshisummons:

Good bye Homeworld franchise.

Wait! on the maintenance frequency... I'm receiving a signal from the cryo trays in orbit, one of them is suffering a massive malfunction.

I see what you did there.

Can't say I share your optimism though.

Bill Nye the Zombie:

omicron1:
Gearbox is associated with Sega. Sega owns Relic. Gearbox have a history of studio collaboration.
I say they're working together.

Sega also owns Creative Assembly. I feel like Sega is going to "suggest" that both Relic and Creative Assembly "help" Gearbox with this one, just so Gearbox gets some good press for something other than Borderlands. Or cause Sega wants to put out good game. Either works.

Just looking at it you can see something amazing potentially happening.

A Homeworld real time tactical game with its own Total War turn based strategic empire management.

One can dream, I guess.

I recall these wankers stating Gearbox Software has great love and respect for the Aliens franchise.

I loved Homeworld, may you rest in peace.

Well that is rather unexpected.
If Gearbox wants to break out of their shooter typecasting then I welcome that. Go ahead Gearbox.
As for their new game or what ever they do with Homeworld I wait and see...
A re-release on Steam of the series would certainly not be a misstep.

Homeworld is one of my top 5 favorite games of all time, and I don't really know what to think of those news. I lean towards the fact that, since Homeworld is a niche IP that can't really be cashed-in with a shitty title, they will HAVE to do their absolute best to actually make it good. Are they capable of it? We'll have to wait and see. Relic weren't doing anything with the franchise anyway, either because they have more easily marketable RTS ip's or because they were too scared to touch it again.

Also, I thought devs would have learned by now that using the word "accessible" when you are trying to hype up a game is one huge red flag. Stop using it. Context doesn't matter. Just never use that word ever again for any reason. Seriously.

The only good that can come out of this is Homeworld 1 and 2 bein rereleased on GoG and Amazon.

The terrible part of that only good part is it'll probably be released with a bullshit price tag.

fix-the-spade:
Maybe they're sick of making shooters over and over?

If they make a decent job of this then great. If they Borderlands PC port this I'll personally mail a head crab (live) to Randy Pitchford.

Port of 1 or 2?

Because Borderlands 2 is surprisingly good on PC, leagues beyond the crapbucket that was 1.

As for the news:

At least it wasn't EA, but still...

WHY?

Third time's the charm guys?

Hahahahaha whatever. I'm going to sit back and let the trainwreck commence.

omicron1:
Gearbox is associated with Sega. Sega owns Relic. Gearbox have a history of studio collaboration.
I say they're working together.

They better be, I wont get the game if it's made by gearbox, but if Relic are working on it and their just a logo on the box, well that's a different story. After all Aliens showed they like letting others do the work for them.

RIP Homeworld. Sorry, but you just couldn't keep up with your Big Brother, Boarderlands. Here, let me take you to the nice, large graveyard so you can pick your place right next to your other adopted siblings: Duke Nukem and Aliens. Oh, you ask who that is over in the WWII-era games. Well, that's Brothers in Arms. You see, he's been contemplating suicide ever since Gearbox abandoned him a few years ago only to let his mentally unstable twin run around in his name, but he does have hope after his twin was renamed to avoid association, but he's still probably going to kill himself before Gearbox stops doing perverted things with its favorite child, Boarderlands.

On a more serious note: It is sad to see how Gearbox automatically makes us groan in agony, especially since only a few years ago it was a well-respected company. It's going to have to pull something really good to get our trust back, and Boarderlands doesn't count. Still, I'm not holding out that much hope for Homeworld.

Parsing the language in the quoted press release is a hilarious exercise. I hope any HD version of the Homeworlds is better than the disappointing AOE2 or Baldurs Gate re-dos.

Ed130:
Because Borderlands 2 is surprisingly good on PC, leagues beyond the crapbucket that was 1.

fix-the-spade:
If they Borderlands PC port this I'll personally mail a head crab (live) to Randy Pitchford.

Wait a second, people had problems with the PC version of Borderlands? I hated the game, but it ran smooth as a whistle on my underpowered laptop... it was nowhere close to a memorably bad port (thinking Halo 2 or Saint's Row 2 here).

Whatwhat:
(maybe Europa Universalis IV shall quench my thirst for world domination for a while when it finally comes out)

Based on what's been shown in the forums, it looks pretty terrible. Way too deterministic. NIs have been *cough* 'streamlined' *uncough*. The interface looks too polished and shiny. ROTW has got absolutely no love so far and the game is supposed to launch in Q3 or so.

Spectrum_Prez:
Parsing the language in the quoted press release is a hilarious exercise. I hope any HD version of the Homeworlds is better than the disappointing AOE2 or Baldurs Gate re-dos.

Ed130:

fix-the-spade:
If they Borderlands PC port this I'll personally mail a head crab (live) to Randy Pitchford.

Wait a second, people had problems with the PC version of Borderlands? I hated the game, but it ran smooth as a whistle on my underpowered laptop... it was nowhere close to a memorably bad port (thinking Halo 2 or Saint's Row 2 here).

It wasn't that bad, but still pretty terrible.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/stolen-pixels/6725-Stolen-Pixels-139-BorderLAN

It used Gamespy for multiplayer, which was complete sh!t considering the major multiplayer aspect of the game.

Well, I'm glad I'm not a fan of the series but I feel bad for those who are. I suppose it's too early to say things like that but I won't believe anything they say until the game is out. My only hope is that they after what happened with the Aliens game, they'll try and regain our trust by making an actually good game.
It is worrying that they've pretty much only made shooters until now but it doesn't necessarily mean that they will make a bad RTS game. Valve for example has also only made shooters (except Portal I guess but you're still in first person with something that's like a gun) and they then made DOTA 2, which couldn't be farther away from their usual games. Granted, they hired Icefrog but still, sometimes a company wants to expand and do something else. They have to start somewhere if they don't always want to make shooters.

I really don't know what to think about this.

I suppose it depends which Gearbox we get. Are we going to get the good Gearbox that made Borderlands and a couple other good games?

Or are we going to get don't give a fuck Gearbox, who are just going to phone it in and/or outsource a known product with a cult following to help fund the development of one of their good games?

I guess, on the bright side, at least Homeworld and Homeworld 2 might finally see release on steam. That in and of itself is a net positive for gamers everywhere. I just hope they don't completely kill this franchise. All it takes is one or two bad games these days to kill entire studios, and place IP's squarely on the back-log, never to be seen again.

squid5580:
Hey didn't Gearbox say the same things about the Aliens franchise?

As we're discovering, "Love the franchise" and "Can't be arsed to actually try with said franchise" are not mutually exclusive.

The Gentleman:

Therumancer:

mirage202:
Well, that killed my hopes for Homeworld 3.

RTS really is a dying genre isn't it?

Well, I think the issue is that Blizzard set the mark so high, and has dominated the scene so intensely with Starcraft that most companies are afraid to even try, the last real attempt was from the "Command And Conquer" franchise and it didn't go all that well.

No love for Stardock?

On topic: At least it's going somewhere, and, more importantly, to a studio with the money to bankroll a potential continuance of the series. And if this trailer for what is generally believed to be the spiritual successor to the series is indication, the junkyard aesthetic that Gearbox is known for might work out better than we expected...

I dunno, "Fallout meets Dune" isn't exactly what I expected from a "spiritual sequel" to Homeworld...

I've got a lot of respect for Gearbox. Aliens Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem Forever were other studios' leavings that they picked up on contract.

I reckon they'll do a good a job.

homeworld might be comming back? YAY!
gearbox picked it up? .....ah...okay..

well, this might become a turning point for gearbox's reputation...

Hold it, I just had a thought...

What if the guys at Gearbox are just terrible at making shooters? Maybe they're the Martin Scorsese of games. They clearly have a genre they like to do, but the one time they step outside that comfort zone that they just can't seem to master, they hit it out of the park.

Sure, it's wishful thinking on a scale that borders delusional, but, like the possibility of a great Homeworld sequel, a Gentleman can dream...

cursedseishi:
snip.

Yes m'lord.

As i said i wont waste my breath, as everyone refuse's to believe they had little to do with development.

Soo... anyone else here waiting for the race of Clap-Trap Robots to be leaked, causing the entire Homeworld fanbase to go crazy?

Seriously, what is a studio with absolutely no RTS history doing with such a fairly unique RTS IP? They would just lack the experience for that to work. But perhaps I'm wrong on this.
I just have the feeling they try to turn this into a shooter. And if they do something like that I seriously will go over there and beat some sense into them with a rusty pipe.

Oh man. Hearing that these guys have got their grubby paws on such a cherished IP is a bit like finding out that Russel Brand is dating your teenage daughter.

I'm suprised nobody has mentioned this little gem: "with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms."

So even if it is a strategy, we're looking at some pretty impressive dumbing down.

Well I know Gearbox isn't the favorite at the moment but I would still pick them over thousands of much bigger names also the Kickstarter indie devs who wanted to acquire the IP.

Now I don't have any hope that a studio that made nothing but shooters has a clue how to make another Homeworld, but I do have hope they get better at outsourcing such projects to people who do... ya it's a long shot.

Klaflefalumpf:
I'm suprised nobody has mentioned this little gem: "with the intent of making them accessible on today's leading digital platforms."

So even if it is a strategy, we're looking at some pretty impressive dumbing down.

This sounds more like they are planning on releasing Homeworld and Homeworld 2 on Steam, GOG and the like. This is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.

I only think it would be a shame if Gearbox pulled a Syndicate on Homeworld 3. Or released a game of DNF or A:CM quallity. The lack of RTS experience would most likely lead to massive outsourcing and we know how well Gearbox handles this.
But perhaps we should give them the benefit of the doubt.

Captcha: foul smelling

sorta off topic: Equating accecebility to dumbing down is a sentiment I can understand, given the nature of this industry, but one I find somewhat problematic. Increased accessebility via the creation of better interfaces, better tutorials and perhaps some optional automations might benefit the franchise without hurting the depths of its gameplay. Given that the automations are designed in a way that skillful players improve their performance by doing it manually. This would keep a high skill ceilling intact, while giving less skilled players more chance to get into the game and enjoy it. This would just be extremly hard to pull off.

Spitfire:

When did Command & Conquer ever try to compete with Starcraft?

Well, when they tossed out Command and Conquer 3 they said they only included the Scrin because Starcraft had 3 races and that was what was required in today's RTS market.

They were complete idiots, but I must say, 3 was light years better than 4

Oh....well, this is unexpected.

Gearbox makes shooters. Mostly good ones, yes, but definitely not RTS games. So, I don't really see what they...

Okay, I'll just assume they have a logical plan. Going with this assumption: Please please please please PLEASE learn from XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Gearbox. The RTS market exists, despite the repeated assertions of AAA publishers, and you can make a pretty penny if you play your cards right and give the market what it wants. Homeworld fans will be looking for three major things: story, atmosphere, and multiplayer. Hit those points and keep a reasonable budget, and Homeworld 3 could be extremely successful.

Or...you could do a genre-changing reboot. It would make no fucking sense, but given the business attitudes of the industry right now, it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Good lord, Gearbox? Really? Ah well, whatever it was going to be, it wasn't going to beat the first Homeworld anyway.

I'm just going to... *flips table*

Spectrum_Prez:

For about six months after release the PC port of Borderlands was beyond awful. Aside from the many, many, many bugs and stability issues it had, they didn't even bother to change the UI or control options for the PC.

That meant that graphics were stuck at presets, tough luck if they didn't match your hardware. Also, the controls were preset and they were preset to an Xbox controller, even using a KB/M you couldn't alter button mapping and the game would frequently tell you to press X, A, LT or whatever to keep playing. Navigating the menus was, a trial.

'Worst X ever' gets bandied round a lot, but it really was a strong contender for the worst and laziest port of a game I've ever played, it was like getting fired back to the nineties.

Halo 2's port was fine, it was just Microsoft being retarded with the whole Windows Live/Vista thing, strip those out and it's great.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here