Gearbox Snags Homeworld Rights

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Spectrum_Prez:

Whatwhat:
(maybe Europa Universalis IV shall quench my thirst for world domination for a while when it finally comes out)

Based on what's been shown in the forums, it looks pretty terrible. Way too deterministic. NIs have been *cough* 'streamlined' *uncough*. The interface looks too polished and shiny. ROTW has got absolutely no love so far and the game is supposed to launch in Q3 or so.

I seriously hope that my favourite developer won't let me down on this one because I was getting pretty excited about the naval combat and trade mechanics (I would bring Brittany or Venice to rule a major portion of the world (again :D) Oh well, better uphold Yahtzee's commandments about hyping games. EUIV is going to be complete rubbish..EUIV is going to be complete rubbish...

Oh and btw. if any CKII fan is reading this playing CKII with all the expansions and on very hard and with the mod CKII+ is "fun" (as in of your twelve quick and beautiful children only your dumb lesbian daughter will survive to carry on the line fun :D )

Wow. 4 pages on a Homeworld thread on the Escapist?

Imma just leave this here.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Homeworld-fans-group

well, I remember people up in arms over XCOM when they showed footage for the shooter, but, when the strategy came out, I could of sworn everyone was pleasantly surprised. Who knows, maybe we will get lucky.... maybe.... OH WOE IS UPON US!!!!

A HD remaster of the first Homeworld I'd be all over it, loved those games even if they had a habit of kicking my ass something fierce, and maybe now Gearbox will be able to work on something that isn't tattered remnants of somebody else's game, might be time for them to claim some reputation back by not buggering this up.

I'm not sure they should even bother making a trailer for this. No one's going to believe it.

"Nothing Remains"

I think this is a somewhat apt quote...

Oh well, I enjoyed borderlands so i have a little bit of faith that it wont be that terrible. Although, i'd rather a HD Reboot of the Cataclysm and the first Homeworld, they shouldn't try a new story IMO

haha. shit. lets get ready for a letdown.

Therumancer:

mirage202:
Well, that killed my hopes for Homeworld 3.

RTS really is a dying genre isn't it?

Well, I think the issue is that Blizzard set the mark so high, and has dominated the scene so intensely with Starcraft that most companies are afraid to even try, the last real attempt was from the "Command And Conquer" franchise and it didn't go all that well.

I also think MOBAs did a lot to hurt the genere just as MMORPGs hurt single player RPGs. The basic arguement being from an investor standpoint is that for the same basic outlay of money you could put a lot of these really in depth and tested games online and then make a ton of money from microtransactions and/or subscription fees. Thus for a long time you saw all the RPG developers working on MMOs, or like with Amalur... doing single player games only as lead ins TO an MMO, a and with RTS games you've largely seen people looking at how what started as RTS mods (ie DoTA) making huge bank so everyone has wanted to jump on that bandwagon. All of these fly by night MOBA games pretty much being in place of what would otherwise have been regular RTS games.

Such are my observations.

Wait, companies are perfectly willing to try to usurp the immortal throne of WoW, but making a decent RTS is just suicide?

Who set this precedent and where is his face?

Double A:

Therumancer:

mirage202:
Well, that killed my hopes for Homeworld 3.

RTS really is a dying genre isn't it?

Well, I think the issue is that Blizzard set the mark so high, and has dominated the scene so intensely with Starcraft that most companies are afraid to even try, the last real attempt was from the "Command And Conquer" franchise and it didn't go all that well.

I also think MOBAs did a lot to hurt the genere just as MMORPGs hurt single player RPGs. The basic arguement being from an investor standpoint is that for the same basic outlay of money you could put a lot of these really in depth and tested games online and then make a ton of money from microtransactions and/or subscription fees. Thus for a long time you saw all the RPG developers working on MMOs, or like with Amalur... doing single player games only as lead ins TO an MMO, a and with RTS games you've largely seen people looking at how what started as RTS mods (ie DoTA) making huge bank so everyone has wanted to jump on that bandwagon. All of these fly by night MOBA games pretty much being in place of what would otherwise have been regular RTS games.

Such are my observations.

Wait, companies are perfectly willing to try to usurp the immortal throne of WoW, but making a decent RTS is just suicide?

Who set this precedent and where is his face?

Well, on a lot of levels, we did it as gamers. You can also blame the way a lot of foreign E-sports evolved around specific games.

See, with WoW it's always been quite beatable, it's just that nobody has been able to put the design and budget together in order to do so. Typically AAA MMOs wind up failing because there is no decent endgame, and that is where WoW thrives and keeps people re-upping subscriptions and playing. Sure, WoW didn't have much of an endgame when it launched, but then again nobody really did, and it has one now. People max their characters, pretty quickly given that there aren't many true MMO "newbs" anymore, and then find nothing that really motivates them to keep playing. They aren't going to sit around and keep paying for months or years for a company to finally get around to expanding the endgame, instead they will leave for a game that already has one. What's more pretty much all AAA MMOs out there try and embrace the fickle, casual demographic, and set themselves up where pretty much anyone can dial it in and wind up with top of the line gear, something which drives away most of the dedicated players because really if anyone can succeed, what is the point for them to even play? The casuals themselves tend to get their gear and move on, having nothing left to strive for, and being eternally drawn to the next shiny thing sparkling in the horizon. People keep trying because on paper WoW should be beatable but executives keep interfering with forecasts, and in general, as I said, companies who have the budget like EA tend to do stupid things like put single player game developers in charge of an MMO (ie ToR) and then bring in failed MMO developers (like Mythic) to make things even worse. Ironically a lot of the most solid games out there are relatively humble "Free To Play" affairs where they had innovation in spades, but didn't have the budget to develop to a AAA level. Pretty much every attempt to build a WoW-killer pretty much failed in the board room before they even started, and in general Blizzard has been able to tell this just by listening to these guy's own hype which is why they have rarely shown any signs of concern.

When it comes to RTS games though, it's a differant animal, the primary market for RTS games has largely become competitive, with single player existing as a market, but being seperate. You tend to largely see them played by guys like Korean E-sports players, or as MOBA games like "League Of Legends" or "Defense Of The Ancients". The thing is
that with a basic RTS foundation Blizzard has pretty much hit perfect game balance, without mirroring everything, or
at least as close as possible. Before you can even enter yourself into the equasion you have to be able to do the same thing, while still making the game fun, and that is incredibly hard to do. If you can't come up with three very distinct factions and have them be near perfectly balanced you have no real chance against Starcraft. The same can be said to an extent with MOBAs which sees more competition due to the money being made, LoL has it's problems but is also pretty solidly balanced between a huge array of characters as most people will point out (and you can see with their global win/loss percentages) if you can't produce a similar array of unique but balanced characters your dead on arrival, which a lot of people doing MOBAs have learned, you mess up, people just go back to LoL and don't come back. You become the next "I tried it, it sucks compared to this" mention in chat for the next year.

I don't really care about HW, never tried it, but i think it's safe to say that it's doomed.

SO the same guys who killed 2 FPS franchises forever are dipping their toes into one of my favorite RTS's ever?

It's gotta be a bad dream.

I need more alcohol to wash this trauma away.

I can only hope. Age of Empires 2 HD came out, so there's at least one RTS that isn't a Korean autism simulator. But then again, they could cock it up and fill it full of epic maymays and ridiculous DLC.

welp i guess i should stop hoping for a good new Homeworld game, it's Gearbox they have lost my trust.

amuasyeas:
I can only hope. Age of Empires 2 HD came out, so there's at least one RTS that isn't a Korean autism simulator. But then again, they could cock it up and fill it full of epic maymays and ridiculous DLC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK4nqu5rSeg

you are not goign to get a better rts any time soon ^^

Gearbox is walking on eggshells right now, after the Colonial Marines fiasco. If they screw this up, it'll probably be the final straw, for me anyways. On the bright side, they haven't proven themselves to do anything other than a shooter before, so being their first RTS, assuming and hoping that its an RTS, it could end up being pretty good.

Goddamned. Gearbox, really? You really have to stick your manhood into everything, don't you?

Darth Sea Bass:
People, people chill it could have been worse... EA could have bought the rights! I'll leave you with that nightmarish thought.

Ah hell, why did you have to bring up that terrible scenario?

Suddenly I find myself rooting for Gearbox.

At least for now there's less of a chance for another Homeworld-related entry in the Electronic Arts section of the Executive Meddling page on TV Tropes.

i imagine that they were already working on something similar, but weren't confident in it and needed an already existing IP. whatever the reason, i'm not bothered

I loved the first Homeworld. But I'd rather have a good space sim than another space strategy game. There have been enough great space strategy game since Homeworld 1. And let's face it, in Homeworld 1 you only had to bunch up all of the ships and then patiently kill everything that came close. I never played the second, maybe that was different. What I loved about Homeworld was the design and the atmosphere. I'd rather they kept that and made something new, rather than change everything and keep the strategy.

amuasyeas:

Well, why did you start to pick on the poor old Red Alert now? XD

OT: A mainly fps developer, with a bad track reckord of handling the ip of other people, gets his hands on the ip of a beloved RTS game... Yup, its only sunshine and rainbows now, sunshine and bloody rainbows.

Falterfire:

omicron1:
Gearbox is associated with Sega. Sega owns Relic. Gearbox have a history of studio collaboration.
I say they're working together.

If Relic gets involved, I will support this so hard. I loved Impossible Creatures to death. (Impossible Creatures is the Relic game everybody loves them for, right?)

Someone else knows of Impossible Creatures. You have my utmost respect.

Impossible Creatures was my first Relic game and I loved it to death, but back when I was a kid I didn't pay attention to who developed what. Years later, I picked up Dawn of War and it became one of my favourite strategy games of all time. A few years after that I looked up what else Relic had done and my jaw dropped when I saw Impossible Creatures on that list.

OT: As for this news, well, I've never played Homeworld but I feel for its fans, after what they did to Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I'm clinging to hope that this will go well. The way I (choose to) see it, this time they snagged up just the license, not a half-finsihed project that's been in development hell for a decade. Which then has to get shipped out in half a year before the old fan's buzz dies down.

Hopefully, now that they have to start from scrath, they can make something decent. Honestly, I'd pay for a reboot with the story and mood of the first game, the gameplay of the second, and the graphics of today.

Just a warning, if at any time Gearbox announces that they'll start by making a third person console exclusive shooter based on the Homeworld franchise, there will be blood. Lots of blood.

If Claptrap or anything like him gets to do the cutscene's narration, there will be fire too.

ASnogarD:
R.I.P Homeworld , you will be missed.

That pretty much covers it.

Firaxis got XCOM and I was encouraged. It seemed a natural fit for the guys who make one of the two best strategy games ever to take a crack at the other one.

Now a company whose established history is making middling shooters has its grubby claws in a franchise that contains one of the best games ever made. Different genre, different tone, everything is different. Considering Gearbox's spotty success rate with their genre of choice, there is simply no way they can do this. I wish I could blind myself to the Frankensteinian abomination which will inevitably result from this unholy union. All I know is whatever they produce, it won't be Homeworld.

I'm going to console myself by picking up the old gem on Steam or GOG. It's been a while since anybody burned my planet. #silverlining

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here