Michael Bay Apologizes For Armageddon

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Michael Bay Apologizes For Armageddon

Michael Bay is sorry for Armageddon, but probably not for the reasons you think.

The Hollywood director who never met an explosion he didn't like says he's sorry. In a Miami Herald interview about his upcoming Pain and Gain, which is apparently cut at a much slower pace than his usual "hyperkinetic" style, Michael Bay acknowledged that people have always given him a hard time about his editing style but also insisted that he's actually slowed down over the years.

And then, amazingly, he said he was sorry for Armageddon. "I will apologize for Armageddon, because we had to do the whole movie in 16 weeks. It was a massive undertaking," he said. "That was not fair to the movie. I would redo the entire third act if I could. But the studio literally took the movie away from us. It was terrible."

Making the situation worse, Bay said his visual effects supervisor had a nervous breakdown, so he had to take the job over himself. Luckily for him, he knows a guy. "I called James Cameron and asked 'What do you do when you're doing all the effects yourself?'" he added. "But the movie did fine."

Looking at Michael Bay's entry in IMDB, I realize that I haven't actually seen many Michael Bay movies and the only one of the bunch that I actually liked was The Rock. That leaves me a little unclear as to why, aside from that Aerosmith travesty, he feels the need to apologize for Armageddon specifically, as opposed to, say, Bad Boys 2, Pearl Harbor or the whole Transformers thing. I suppose I should be happy enough that he's at least showing a sign of seeing the light, and who knows? Maybe this will be the first of many to come. I'd say a few more are due.

Source: Miami Herald

"I only have one question for you. EXPLOSIONS?!"

The animal crackers scene made me lose it since it was so damn silly.

Maybe Aerosmith can follow Michael Bay and apologize for that song while we're at it, but I don't see that happening.

I can dream, can't I?

PS, I think the movie should've been called, "Armageddon: Because Fuck Physics".

Michael Bay has a lot more to apologize for. I will not let Pearl Harbor or Transformers go!

yea.. THAT is the movie he chooses to apologize for? that the only one of his movies i actually like.

I can't be mad about Bad Boys 2. It helped to bring us Hot Fuzz.

Do you honestly think He's going to change his ways and start decrease the number of explosions, if that were the case, he wouldnt be Micheal Bay, just another mediocre director.

So he apologizes for the one I found the easiest to stomach instead of Transformers.

Armageddon wasn't bad, it was enjoyable in a popcorn flick kind of way; a perfectly enjoyable way to spend a Saturday night as long as you kept your suspension of disbelief.

I also liked the Rock, I thought it was original, the plot was solid, it didn't take itself too seriously and the action scenes were great.

Pearl Harbour on the other hand was absolute balls, mainly because it focused on real events, meaning a bit of tact was sort of called for, and instead the script took huge liberties with the historical events and added this weird love triangle between the woman and the two men, both of which seemed to spend the entire movie taking turns to apparently die and then miraculously turn up alive just as she confessed her love to the other guy.

Can he pre-emptively apologise for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles he's doing? That one's just gonna be Dead On Arrival. Oh well, Iron Man 3 comes out this week, hurrah!

Colbster94:
Do you honestly think He's going to change his ways and start decrease the number of explosions, if that were the case, he wouldnt be Micheal Bay, just another mediocre director.

Now that I think on it, there are several films that could be greatly improved by a few explosions. Just think how much easier Attack of the Clones would be to stomach if the Anakin/Padme romance dialogue had been drowned out by a Trade Federation orbital bombing strike.

I actually don't mind Michael Bay. I like the over-dramatic action; it's a laugh. Nothing he does is going to leave any lasting memories but his movies are still fun, in my opinion.

Queue no one ever taking me seriously on The Escapist again.

Actually never had that big of a problem with Armageddon. Really enjoyed Bad Boys 2, and I still count The Rock as one of my favorite action movies ever. Ed Harris' portrayal of General Hummel was fantastic and I still find myself watching that movie from time to time.

Never expected the Transformers movies to be good, and never really been interested in them either so that's not such a big deal for me.

But hey, good on you Mr. Bay. Takes guts to admit fault at the blockbuster-level of moviemaking.

With little enough time, Tranformers 2 might actually have been worth watching!

I liked Armageddon.

Everyone seems to have said what I was going to say (about Armageddon not being the one he needs to apologize for), thus leaving me with nothing to say. So I will say nothing, except to announce that I am saying nothing, because pointlessness is awesome.

I, liked Armageddon?

I mean yeah I was just a kid when I saw it, but it's still a movie my friends and I like to pull out now and again.

Karathos:
Actually never had that big of a problem with Armageddon. Really enjoyed Bad Boys 2, and I still count The Rock as one of my favorite action movies ever. Ed Harris' portrayal of General Hummel was fantastic and I still find myself watching that movie from time to time.

Never expected the Transformers movies to be good, and never really been interested in them either so that's not such a big deal for me.

But hey, good on you Mr. Bay. Takes guts to admit fault at the blockbuster-level of moviemaking.

The Rock has that rare quality of being somewhat silly, while still being populated by characters who appear competent enough to warrant the suspension of disbelief. I was honestly surprised that it was made by the same guy who did Transformers, because it was actually good.

I certainly agree on it being a good thing he's willing and capable of admitting he could do better in public. I doubt his vision of "better" aligns with what I would consider an improvement, but hey: baby steps.

So, he apologizes not for taking a true story about an innocent man who was kidnapped and tortured by hair-brained crooks, "Pain and Gain" and turning that into a bumbling crime comedy. Not for what he did to "Transformers." Not to the people that actually live in Armageddon -which is a lovely place that does not deserve its reputation. Instead, he apologizes for that. . . stay classy, Michael Bay.

I actually liked that movie.. and several others.. People really give him a hard time...

Personally I do not think the film merits apology. It wasnt great, but certainly wasnt bad.

If anyone should apologize for the Film Armageddon it should be Steven Tyler and Areosmith for that horrendous song.

It just goes to show how out of touch with reality he is that he's apologising for his second best movie. The best being The Rock.

That's great.

Now lacerate yourself publicly for Pearl Harbour.

Of course he would apologize for Armageddon. It was very nearly the best movie he ever made, and now I know why; the studio was trying to stop him from ruining it!

So let me get this straight, he's apologizing for what, I think, many will agree is one of his good movies?

Andy Chalk:
Pearl Harbor

Yeah, that's the one he should be apologising for.

It was bad AND downright insulting.

Armageddon was an entertaining movie though...

Fiz_The_Toaster:
The animal crackers scene made me lose it since it was so damn silly.

Maybe Aerosmith can follow Michael Bay and apologize for that song while we're at it, but I don't see that happening.

I can dream, can't I?

PS, I think the movie should've been called, "Armageddon: Because Fuck Physics".

"I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing?" That was a sweet song. Though the hallmark of the soundtrack is "Remember Me" by Journey.

Good soundtrack, bad movie.

OT: How about you apologize for Transformers?

Armageddon was a perfect popcorn type film.
Wonderful escapism, cheesy lines, but still all very enjoyable.

This is not the film he should be apologizing for.

But I kind of like Armageddon...

Andy Chalk:
I suppose I should be happy enough that he's at least showing a sign of seeing the light, and who knows?

Are we talking about lens flare, here? Because I know he's see that.

Michael, you're a guilty pleasure of world cinema--the no-calorie popcorn that costs $8.00 a bag. Don't change a damned thing. I love to bash your horrid directing choices. And you love to roll around naked in your swimming pool of money paid for by millions of folks like me.

Ryan Hughes:
So, he apologizes not for taking a true story about an innocent man who was kidnapped and tortured by hair-brained crooks, "Pain and Gain" and turning that into a bumbling crime comedy. Not for what he did to "Transformers." Not to the people that actually live in Armageddon -which is a lovely place that does not deserve its reputation. Instead, he apologizes for that. . . stay classy, Michael Bay.

Well, to be fair the story in "Pain and Gain" is based more on the story of the crooks combined with some of the more objective coverage to create characterizations, than the "victim". A big part of the protests are from the victim claiming he was innocent, when that doesn't entirely seem to be the case.

The basic story is largely one of a group of criminals, preying on another criminal, to steal the money he himself stole. This is the avenue the movie takes, with the entire story being sort of "What if the guys in an "Ocean" movie were a bunch of not too bright weight lifters, who ultimatly fail", based on the RL testimony of weightlifters involved in a real incident.

The "Victim" seems to largely be complaining because the movie portrays him as being a scumbag himself, which from the limited stuff I've seen about it, is probably true, but was never proven.

In short, I don't think Michael Bay has much to apologize for given the premise. It won't be the first crime drama based on real life incidents that has gotten complaints by the real people who were involved. Whether the movie will be good on it's own merits or not remains to be seen, but honestly as I'm not a huge Bay fan, I doubt it.

That said, in his entire filmography, I think Armageddon is one of the movies he least needs to apologize for. It's not one of my favorite movies by any means, but it was more passable than a lot of other things he did.

Hey, I liked Armageddon.(Being serious) It has one of my favorite simple but comedic lines from an action/disaster movie:

"..components, American components, Russian components...ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!!!"

Oh wow he legitimately doesn't understand what people dislike about his movies? I almost kinda feel sorry for him...

I think the more money Bay is given, the more stupid he gets.

I enjoyed the Rock, the first Bad Boys and to an extent the first Transformers. I'm excited for Pain & Gain but that's only because I wanna see the chemistry between Marky Mark and Dwayne.

Remember when The Escapist's articles were unbiased?... Me either.

I liked Armageddon. I was twelve at the time but I liked it.

Michael Bay's movies are glorified kids movies. You know what you're getting into when you agree to watch a movie called 'Transformers'. Who entered that cinema hoping for an emotional drama?

Michael Bay has nothing to be sorry for. His apology wasn't for the film, it was for the production of it. It didn't turn out exactly the way he'd hoped, but then if it had do you really think it would be all that much different.

Michael Bay fills a gab in the whole idea of cinema. He makes fun films. Don't like it, don't watch!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here