Mars Colonization Mission Now Taking Applications

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

My best friend - 6'11 unfortunately, not to mention involved with a woman and a dog, yes he's doomed - thinks this is great. He's big up on the concept of, and I quote: "Boots on the ground!"

I'm sure everyone thinks this is a wonderful idea. I don't. It isn't even the reality television bit, that's just revolting and humans are always revolting. No, it's worse then that. The long term systemic problems a colonization operation akin to this one could create in relations between Mars colony and Earth, are just as big as we've seen in SF. I have no interest in meeting the grand kids because they were killed by Martian extremists. If we can colonize this place responsibly, in the absence of such potential pressures, I encourage it. A situation like this is bound to see people put through hell and their off spring and those who follow resenting everyone else for it. You can see it, don't be absurd: "Fuckin' Earthers, we make all the progress, they make all the cash... Fuckin' Earthers..." I just worry that this is much more irresponsible then we thought it was. Comical huh? It's like standing around with the Penguin in Batman Returns: "Isn't that a little-" BANG! "No. It's a lot!"

I'd love to see a sustainable plan for colonizing mars of course, with all due consideration to the future. This just seems hasty and while perhaps the future will prove it necessary, the present doesn't. And that concerns me. Risking lives for limited reward is questionable, and as this won't be a sustainable colony, I consider the reward extremely limited.

My personal goal in life is to live as long as possible.

I doubt that once life extending transhuman technology is possible they'll have an easy time sending it to Mars.

Sorry, but I'll take a trip away from Earth when I feel technology has reached a point I can actually come back. There is simply not a payoff for the negatives. But hey, I guess one positive of this is not having to worry about being thrown in jail for lolicon.

Yeah no, even if you're an extremely strange person there's not much benefit. You'd need to be an extremely loner who doesn't mind dying out there and missing most technologies.

An interesting project, no way in hell I would ever apply, I would hate to be stuck on Mars my whole life, booooring.

seydaman:
An interesting project, no way in hell I would ever apply, I would hate to be stuck on Mars my whole life, booooring.

You're going to have to forgive me, but I heard your post in Pinkie Pie's voice.

Most disturbingly, when I saw the thread, I heard this quote in my head:
"Save your prayers, God is not here. But us now. There is only the darkness here, and your death."

Mr.K.:

Sadly if it succeeds that means the next era in human development was ushered by reality TV...

You say that like it's a bad thing. I get why the idea of it being reality TV is a bad thing, but I'd be willing to put money on this not being anything like other reality shows.

IE: They're not going to try and provoke drama between the people that are on it.

It'll just be a way for people to see what it's like to actually live on Mars.

Beffudled Sheep:
I'm too tall :(

Me too. Goddamn my height, living on a dead, desolate, cold, miserable planet is something I could see myself doing otherwise... Now I'm sad.

RJ Dalton:
They're making a media spectacle of it.

. . .

Does anyone else get the idea that this might just be intended to get rid of the sort of people who'd do anything to get on TV?

B-Ark reporting in.
When can we depart?

On topic: this sounds like EVERYTHING will go wrong. I'm kinda torn between "can't wait to see some idiots die" and "yeah we shouldn't do it for these reasons in the first place, let's stay a bit more sane"

Why is everyone so down beat on this? I mean Jesus they don't call it the final frontier for nothing.

And I have NO IDEA how any of you lot get the idea that it's going to be Paris Hilton in space for fucks sake.

The fact is that the ONLY people who are going up are going to be screened and vetted to the point of ridiculousness to make sure they can take all the shit they'll have to.

If you genuinely think that the people going up are chosen for ratings and not for their ability to handle the physical and emotional stresses then you're too cynical to be worth bothering to talk to.

This is the next step on the path to the stars. The first human colony not of our home PLANET, an incredible scientific and a monumental human achievement - and so many people I've talked to are so cynical and small minded about it its fucking unbelievable.

Only time will tell if I'm right but this has, as far as I'm concerned, the hallmarks of one of the truly great markers of human history.

The beginnings of a human colony ON ANOTHER PLANET. Think about that for a while. Think about what it really means to the future of humanity as a species. Big picture time ladies and gentlemen. Seriously big picture time.

I'm 6"4, so I guess I can't go.... Would've been awesome. :(

I don't have a life, I'd be fine going right now.

I'm losing my job in June, and haven't had a date in over 9 years so I can go without women. The only real question is what's interplanetary bandwidth like, and can those missions every two years bring new top spec parts for my gaming PC... also can Amazon fire orders my out of a huge cannon?

Hmmm 2022 eh, I'll be... carry the one... o.0 36! ya no thanks, if I don't have a life by then I'd rather just kill myself.

Nah sounds too much like the movie Oblivion and that movie was boring as shit. And it was only 3 hours long. I think I'll stick to earth. I here they don't have broadband on Mars.

I'm all for this, partially because I'm hoping they'll discover Prothean archives. Pleaaase discover Prothean archives. Because then sexy blue space women are not far behind!

OT- This seems ambitious, but something a lot of people forget are the secondary and tertiary scientific benefits to a project like this, even if it doesn't accomplish many things in and of itself. Thousands of technologies we use today were developed by NASA originally for use with the space program. Faced with the challenge of setting up a permanent colony on another world, who knows what amazing innovations these guys could come up with. In my mind, someone is going to try this eventually, and eventually, someone will succeed, so why not these guys?

I'd go in a heartbeat, no joke. Too bad I'm too tall, too fat and my eyesight isn't good enough. =(

hotdogoctopus:
38 USD to apply? I dunno man. Seems a little 'scam-ish' for the "Interplanetary Media Group" a company which would traditionally rely on investors to need me to pay a fee to have my application thrown through the sifter...

$30 is enough that those who would sign up for shits and giggles and waste everyones time would be put off. Even now they have 5000,000 applications to go through so prank applications would not be appreciated. Also, how would they get away with it if it were a scam, this has been advertised internationally!

I worked in Antarctica for a long time in a similar circumstance but apparently I don't qualify because I have to take pills every day. Nevermind that the amount of pills I'd need for the mission would collectively weigh less than a pencil, take up little space, and go bad only after twenty years. SEEMS LIKE A STUPID RESTRICTION TO ME. But w/e I don't need them. I'll go to Mars myself. I have a bike, how hard can it be?

Mr_Spanky:
Why is everyone so down beat on this? I mean Jesus they don't call it the final frontier for nothing.

And I have NO IDEA how any of you lot get the idea that it's going to be Paris Hilton in space for fucks sake.

The fact is that the ONLY people who are going up are going to be screened and vetted to the point of ridiculousness to make sure they can take all the shit they'll have to.

If you genuinely think that the people going up are chosen for ratings and not for their ability to handle the physical and emotional stresses then you're too cynical to be worth bothering to talk to.

This is the next step on the path to the stars. The first human colony not of our home PLANET, an incredible scientific and a monumental human achievement - and so many people I've talked to are so cynical and small minded about it its fucking unbelievable.

Only time will tell if I'm right but this has, as far as I'm concerned, the hallmarks of one of the truly great markers of human history.

The beginnings of a human colony ON ANOTHER PLANET. Think about that for a while. Think about what it really means to the future of humanity as a species. Big picture time ladies and gentlemen. Seriously big picture time.

Never thought I'd say these words, but thank you Mr. Spanky.

Everyone else is being cynical for the sake of cynicism, without putting any rational thought behind it.
I thought gamers were supposed to be adventurous, yet you all seem to claim it would be boring or stupid.
For shame.

Mr_Spanky:

Jesus christ, I was waiting for someone to say these words. I am so bloody sick of the cynicism in this thread. I for one think it would be well worth all the risks, just to be one of the first people on Mars.

Mr_Spanky:

This has the potential to be a complete disaster. However, if we sit around "waiting" until we perfect the technology, like NASA and others want to do, then we'll be sitting around a long fucking time. Complacency kills advancement, which is why we don't have those exotic engines everyone and their brother has "theorized", but never put to the actual testing because. Funding.

If we can pull this off it might actually jump start the desire to research more advancement, sooner, rather than later.

Go to Mars? As in, no internet, no family or friends (unless they sign up too) No Dr Pepper or Lilt! That Mars?

I think I'll pass.

Question: Will there be Internet access available and a gaming PC with Steam? If yes, I could well be the right man for the job. Better if I could be in a group with 3 fertile women.

You Can't Take the Sky From Me:

Beffudled Sheep:

Me too. Goddamn my height, living on a dead, desolate, cold, miserable planet is something I could see myself doing otherwise... Now I'm sad.

Lets be tall and sad together. Our tears can be like rain to the fortunate tiny people that can go.

Beffudled Sheep:

Beffudled Sheep:

Lets be tall and sad together. Our tears can be like rain to the fortunate tiny people that can go.

Alright, as they say "Tall misery loves tall company." We should also sneak aboard the ship before it launches and put all the really good provisions, like cookies, up on high shelves. That will show those hightists!

Beffudled Sheep:

Alright, as they say "Tall misery loves tall company." We should also sneak aboard the ship before it launches and put all the really good provisions, like cookies, up on high shelves. That will show those hightists!

Yeah! We should also take all the step ladders too! We don't want them pretending to be our height now do we?

Nurb:

"stuffing people into a small space for an extended period of time on another planet... You'll love it!"
-Mars One, Subsidiary of Vault Tec, who in no way has a secret experiment in mind

Man, you'll be spending at least 10-15 years up there before you can get a vehicle to give you a return trip, and mars isn't all that super-fun on the surface.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this picture. Move along.

OT: This is awesome and I'm glad to be able to see it in my lifetime.

This is a recipe for disaster. Hilarious, scientifically invaluable disaster.

Who knows what kind of crazy stuff will be happening 5, 10 years in? They'll be totally isolated, meaning once the crazy starts, no one can come in from the outside to calm things down. What happens when there's disagreement/crime? People will shout 'there is no crime on Mars, because Mars has no laws!', and you could get anything from makeshift courtrooms to the basis for a decent slasher film. The sheer volume of crazy that could potentially go down is mind-boggling - and sociologically invaluable. And the best part is, if nothing goes wrong and they create some sort of productive, self-sustaining society in the Martian wastes, then that's going to be even more scientifically interesting.

This should happen, for science. Just don't put me on it, I've got too much of Earth left to see.

Smiley Face:
This is a recipe for disaster. Hilarious, scientifically invaluable disaster.

Who knows what kind of crazy stuff will be happening 5, 10 years in? They'll be totally isolated, meaning once the crazy starts, no one can come in from the outside to calm things down. What happens when there's disagreement/crime? People will shout 'there is no crime on Mars, because Mars has no laws!', and you could get anything from makeshift courtrooms to the basis for a decent slasher film. The sheer volume of crazy that could potentially go down is mind-boggling - and sociologically invaluable. And the best part is, if nothing goes wrong and they create some sort of productive, self-sustaining society in the Martian wastes, then that's going to be even more scientifically interesting.

This should happen, for science. Just don't put me on it, I've got too much of Earth left to see.

Well, there will be people from the outside coming in every couple of years, if things go well. There will be multiple launch groups, each group preparing the way for the next wave of settlers.

So if the crazy sets in...just hold your damn ground! Help is only years out! :P

Smiley Face:
What happens when there's disagreement/crime?

"someone stole my red dirt!"

In all serious though, they're going to be pretty heavily screened and trained against 'the crazies.' I know there's still a chance, but there always will be, even in 50-100 years. There's a long term need for humanity to reach Mars, eventually, and we need to take that giant leap at some point; even with 'the crazies' risk. So why not now?

Personally, I think this is an incredible idea and will be the biggest achievement of mankind. I couldn't do it, as much as I would like to think I could. Sure, seeing space/Mars would be incredible, but only for a while until it gets boring. I take my hat off to all those who do get chosen!

One thought though, We're basically going to be colonising by extensive incest. Come 2070 everyone up there will be someone else's mother/father/aunt/uncle/brother/sister et al

There is a shitstorm of problems that will kill anyone we try to send to Mars, and NASA continues to study them all in efforts to land and return a team, do a few experiments, bring home some Mars rocks and then eventually start a colony.

One of the problems (for example) is coronal mass ejections (solar flares) which happen with some frequency. Our moon shots we could schedule when solar weather indicated it wouldn't be a problem, but even then there were a couple of missions that got back just under the wire when the sun was feeling tempermental.

A trip to the moon is a week-long thing. A trip to Mars is 9 months one way. You can almost guarantee the Sun's going to shoot its wad during that time. Multiple times, probably.

Here on Earth, we're protected by the magnetic field which turns the mass that hits earth into the aurora borealis. Without that field, one needs the equivalent of eleven feet of concrete in order to not get baked to a tasty golden brown.

And that's one problem out of hundreds.

238U

S-Sign me up, please!

*Unlikely to kill each other*

Oh...well that would depend on who the other 4 were.

But seriously, did I miss the part where NASA looked into this and found a viable way for humans to live on Mars? Or is this just a blind hope sort of thing?

I actually might apply. I fit the criteria, there aint much that could mentally break me. Only problem is the good eyesight bit. Whilst its not bad, it aint 20 20 no more. I need glasses for any real detail more than 20 or so feet away.

There's too much on Earth I want to do, but if this actually happens, then I wish best of luck to the colonists.

One thing many people seem to forget about a trip to Mars is that communication with Earth is still completely doable. Mars is only an average of twenty light-minutes away from Earth (one way), so daily or even hourly messages with the home planet would be nearly guaranteed.

Given that a decent laptop requires very little energy to run, solar panels could power all of the reading you could ever need during the trip there, too, in addition to movies and video games.

Fuck, I'd do it, if there wasn't the medication requirement. I'd gladly throw my life away to be one of the first people on the surface of our first colonized planet, for science!

Misterian:
Wait, we're not gonna colonize the Moon? we're just gonna skip it to get for Mars?

Bit of a shame, I'd think colonizing the moon might be easier, it's a shorter distance and with the right science in mind, I'm pretty sure we could make it inhabitable.

On the other hand, there IS still alot less gravity on Mars than on Earth, right?

At least you could jump around to get across long distances, and if you can somehow make that planet inhabitable at least to turtles and you could almost pretend you're in the Mushroom Kingdom's Desert World!

Because there is nothing on the moon worth going for. Not even an atmosphere. Heck the best thing we can use the moon for is if humanity successfully wipes itself out. We can send survivors up there to carve a legacy of our race into the rock so that any aliens that stumble upon our dead world will know it was once a world filled with life. They will know because someone drew a giant penis on the moon.

If it weren't for my heart trouble (not sure I'll still be ALIVE in 8 years), I'd sign up for this in a split-second. That's pretty much the ONLY problem there would be. There's already not much to keep me tied to this planet anyway.

Captcha: pea brain

Really, Escapist? No need to resort to name-calling. :)

I'm mostly interested in the idea of someone being BORN on mars and how they would psychologically deal with the idea that they are from another planet that they will likely never see again.

But at the same time the idea of bringing that person BACK to Earth would be the sign of true colonization of Mars.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here