2K: XCOM's Tactical Shooter Shall Evolve

2K: XCOM's Tactical Shooter Shall Evolve

Gills? A tail? ALIENS! SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT NOW!

Still no word on exactly what it will evolve into - not even a confirm on that Bureau business - but 2K has announced that its XCOM tactical shooter is still in development, despite appearances.

"2K's culture allows our studios the freedom to refine their visions," says 2K in a blog post, "to explore new ideas, and to deliver the best possible experiences for players." The announcement confirms that the folks at 2K Marin have been refining their fingers to the bone, to deliver a "high-stakes narrative experience" that will result in "evolution" for the title.

Feel free to imagine what that evolution might have resulted in. Extra eyes, gills, opposable kidneys; anything could happen, and quite probably will. However at the moment all that can be said is that yes, there is a tactical squad-based shooter, and yes, it does fall under the XCOM umbrella. More than that is impossible to determine at this stage.

Source: 2K Games

So, I'm going to say it'll be Rainbow Six with aliens, laser guns and psyonic mind powers based on how I'm reading the description. I am not displeased with this mental imagery.

As long as the original gameplay style keeps getting a game of its own from time to time I dont mind this, if they take the best of XCOM (random scenarios, evolving science and technology, etc) into a Tactical FPS it can be a nice game. XCOM has a lot of replay value because of the way its structured and a shooter with that kind of replayability would also be nice

Can we just get an XCOM Enemy Unknown sequel?

Fayathon:
So, I'm going to say it'll be Rainbow Six with aliens, laser guns and psyonic mind powers based on how I'm reading the description. I am not displeased with this mental imagery.

That was kind of what they was showing originally anyway.

Karloff:

"2K's culture allows our studios the freedom to refine their visions," says 2K in a blog post, "to explore new ideas, and to deliver the best possible experiences for players." The announcement confirms that the folks at 2K Marin have been refining their fingers to the bone, to deliver a "high-stakes narrative experience" that will result in "evolution" for the title.

Is it kinda sad that the thoughts that went through my head when I read this were "Hey, I actually believe them this time." Considering that 2k published Spec Ops the Line, Enemy Unknown, Bioshock, and Borderlands, I honestly buy that 2k gives their developers creative freedom. If only more publishers were better about this.

MDSnowman:

Well they've been working on this game for awhile. It'd be a waste of money if they just binned it. But considering that Enemy Unknown was a commercial and critical success, I imagine that a sequel will come out before too long.

Just call it Xcom - The Bureau. So we know its part of the game world but a different take on it. The thing about the game i disliked were the aliens, black sludge and rock tablets are not my idea of good enemies. I prefer the xcom aliens, flesh and blood creatures you can fight. I dont know if there are any other types of enemies int the bureau game, dont mind if the goo is one type. But from the old trailer/walkthrough, the aliens didnt grab me at all.

Although, saying that. I did like the style and the setting. It was like a prequel to the original X-Com game. But i think they need to go cheesy with the aliens if its set in that time period.

Will we still be hunting black tar blobs and geometry?

Fayathon:

Speaking of which, what happened to Rainbow Six 6? The new one that was supposed to come out?

OT: I don't see why a shooter is a bad thing, as long as they can emulate the universe in a correct manner.

"shit, guys, looks like the fanbase isn't waiting for a linear shoot-em-up."
"What? but we had the statistics and everything, David even brought a diagram!"
David: "yeah!"
"Screw that, the Enemy Unknown team raised the bar, we can't show up with this crap, let's do it over!"

Capitano Segnaposto:

Fayathon:

Speaking of which, what happened to Rainbow Six 6? The new one that was supposed to come out?

OT: I don't see why a shooter is a bad thing, as long as they can emulate the universe in a correct manner.

Rainbow Six Patriots? Eh, no idea. It suddenly vanished from the sight. I think they're still working on it. I hope so because if it has terrorist hunt...

Probably a sign of a complete or partial redesign. Hopefully the end result will still look interesting.

Well, an XCOM game not called XCOM? I can live with that just as much as I could live with it being called XCOM (unlike most of the nostalgia-blinded fanboys).

MDSnowman:

Maybe - but that's not in the hands of 2k Marin. They have nothing to do with THAT.
Or are you now asking the folks at Treyarch for a Half-Life sequel. Or Nintendo for an Uncharted 4?

As the only living soul who liked XCOM Interceptor I think the XCOM formula can work fine for a shooter. However different between XCOM EU and the old one is that in EU agents are so valuable you can't afford to lose more than a few early on. And if the AI is controlling your partners you can't really play tactically, just work around the AI dumbness.

Personally, I think they should have stuck with the original FPS idea.

So, it's gonna carry the XCOM name after all? Well, if they add "The Bureau" as a suffix, I'm totally fine with that. It's not the first franchise to ever host a spinoff, and it won't be the last.

I'm actually very interested in what we'll end up with here.

Combustion Kevin:
"shit, guys, looks like the fanbase isn't waiting for a linear shoot-em-up."
"What? but we had the statistics and everything, David even brought a diagram!"
David: "yeah!"
"Screw that, the Enemy Unknown team raised the bar, we can't show up with this crap, let's do it over!"

Damn it David, get your shit together.

OT: I can live with an XCOM shooter, if it's actually good. The footage of the XCOM shooter last year was just all manner of terrible.

The enemies were incredibly boring (imagine glimpsing a Sectoid down a dark alley before it scuttles away, and compare it to the...things in the footage), the game was a boring linear shooter (go here, cover, shoot them all, go here, cover, shoot them all), the dialogue had more cliches than an 80s action movie, and...I could go on, probably, but even removing it from the XCOM universe, it was still a generic game and a bore to watch.

Another redesign, after 6 years already in development and exchanging many devs... these sort of "dust bin parts and glue" projects never ever end well.

And the XCOM name is back so the amount of stupid is not really dropping.

DVS BSTrD:

yes, we will discover a new breed of suck like never seen before.

i'll call it ubersuck. now i need to find the closest relative or friend of kafka and we will reek in millions!
SHOW ME THE MONEY!

As long as they continue with the reborn Turn-Based Strategy X-COM in parallel, I don't give a flying fuck what they do with this. And that was probably their goal. Appease the original fans first after all that rage and cries of BETRAYAL... then do the shooter anyway.

I tell ya what, if this shooter operated like the real X-Com in having to build and manage your bases and equipment but then go into battle with FPS gameplay, that would be pretty interesting actually... and that's coming from someone that doesn't like shooters.

Oh God, nooooo. Before I get spammed with hate mail/banned, I'm going to say that the XCOM shooter looked interesting from what I saw of it. The biggest/only apparent problem was that it had the XCOM label attached to it, when it should have very much been a new IP instead. However, given the success of XCOM:EU, I'm worried that now, instead of morphing the XCOM franchise to fit a Mass Effecty FPS, it seems they're morphing a Mass Effecty FPS to fir the XCOM mold, which is essentially jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Protip: JUST MAKE IT A GODDAMN NEW INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY!!

It's not that hard.

Hopefully it'll evolve into some kind of snake-man, as I feel 2K is in danger of dropping behind on it's snakeman quota.

Fayathon:

Yes. That would actually be quite awesome. Reviving an old style of gameplay that has basically died out whilst also making a kick ass X-com themed game. I do not see things wrong with this.

With the earlier focus on the 50s - 60s era, they're really missing out by not simply calling it Bluebook (or operation bluebook)

thiosk:
With the earlier focus on the 50s - 60s era, they're really missing out by not simply calling it Bluebook (or operation bluebook)

I think to use the name Blue Book you have to have some stern looking USAF senior officers come and look over your development... just to make sure you don't include anything they really found implicate the USAF in any cover up conspiracies.

also the nice Captain sticking the pistol in my ear would like me to remind you it was Project Blue Book not 'Operation' Blue Book

RhombusHatesYou:

also the nice Captain sticking the pistol in my ear would like me to remind you it was Project Blue Book not 'Operation' Blue Book

Project Bluebook led directly to Operation bluebook, which involved coverbased shooting and RPG elements.

This is, of course, covered up and excised from the history books.
Not even "Ancient Aliens" has the scoop on this one.

I am a big fan (played that game over and over and over in 1994-1995) of X-Com: UFO Defense/UFO: Enemy Unknown game, but still very excited to play this game.
Yes, I know, majority of gamers threat this game as "EVIL INCERNATE!" and the new XCOM: Enemy Unkown as "The Chosen One", but I don't agree on this ideology.

New XCOM: Enemy Unkown was not "that" great. It was a good game, yes, but had many many many flawes on gameplay. Developers of the game, and XCOM official forum community were obsessed on "how cool the hardness of the game", but neglect other areas and shortcomings. UFO: Aftermath/Aftershock/Afterlight series was interesting sequel towards UFO: Enemy Unkown game, but sadly they are not that popular especially because they are not AAA games. XCOM: Enemy Unkown had cool graphics, but couldn't benefit from the advantages and good parts of "UFO Trilogy")

I am more interested on this XCOM Tactical Shooter. The game is still not available, however continuously Evolving more and more. OK I admit, I also bored from current FPS frenzy, there are tons of boring copy-paste FPS games. However, If they can do what they promised, this game can be a classic (IF they can).
Footages of this game reminds me my days of System Shock, Thief and Undying.
System Shock 1-2 was a PC classic, but sadly new Bioshock games (alleged "spiritual successor), continously lessening the atmosphere/story and increasing the hack/slash routine. Yes yes, I know Bioshock Infinite become the crazed mega hit of this year. But it is still weak compared to System Shock 1-2, and just another console shooter.

This game can close that gap (again, IF they can), this game promises mystery, adventure, thrill, investigation and exploration. If they do it right, and not turn it another cliche console shooter, this game will have the atmosphere of System Shock, Thief and Undying games.

DVS BSTrD:

Geometry is a terrifying force, but it doesn't come close to the evils of calculus. DAMN YOU CALCULUS!

On topic, I was interested in this game when they first announced it a few years ago. I was mostly intrigued by the art style and 50's theme. I never heard of xcom before so I didn't (and still don't) give a shit if they "defiled the series". So long as they keep the look of the gam and it doesn't turn out to be shit I'll stay interested.

Another thing to note, others were asking if it kept the xcom play style in terms of managing resources and making weapons and what not. From what I remember it did and you were able to build and research weapons and that kind of thing and you had to organize your missions because you could be attacked by aliens st any time or something (I read it years ago. take it with a grain of salt)

You mean they're still developing this? I thought that they scrapped it.

They should really just drop it altogether and focus on a sequel to XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

DVS BSTrD:

Those tar blobs remind me of the things from Thomas Was Alone more than anything else. Now there is a strange cross over/spin off game.

Subtracting all the useless buzzwords, all I got from this is:

"2k: We're developing something for an X-COM shooter."

*shrugs* Uh, OK then.

so, they will twist it's head several time until it pop off and glue another head on that game. sure, it will live...

i think the majority of the complain was that people was afraid that they would turn xcom into a fps that would sell not that well and that the xcom franchise would go into the drain with it. now that we have Xcom : EU alive and kicking, most people would be fine with the original game, since it would be seen as a spin off now...

DVS BSTrD:

This is the only question that needs answering as far as I'm concerned. They looked interesting damn it! The minimalism was very appealing compared to the over-detail that many enemies have in videogames.

MDSnowman:

That's been pretty much confirmed.

However, unless 2k's executives are getting their water supply from lead pipes, the Enemy Unknown sequel will be developed by Firaxis, while XCOM is being developed by 2k Marin.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here