Next Xbox Debuts In 26 Days

Pages PREV 1 2

Well only time will tell just how this will turn out, i know they need to keep somethings hidden so there's going to be.....suspense? is that right? for the xbox's main features or to have time to mitigate the damage with this presentation if their E3 reveal will end sour, all i know is that the videogame industry's future ain't looking bright here.

I'm not sure if there has ever been a console reveal that helped bolster it's hype and reassured everyone that this console is gold, the only one that comes to mind is the ps2 but i have no idea how that went, was to young to have an interest in gaming then.

Timmey:
Not sure if its been linked in here but rumor has it

http://i.imgur.com/WS6ikqe.png

if it's gonna be called that, it's gonna be hard to name the next console that replaces it afterwards. I highly doubt this is it's actual name, unless MS has a better subtitle to name their inevitable next-next gen console than infinity.

Xbox Infinite On.

Always.

I just love these announcements of announcements. They make so much sense and they totally hype me for the product. They don't in any way make me furious.

Well, time to see if I'll be buying it or if I should finally get Windows 7 for my Mac

thiosk:

But why is it all the really neat stuff is on Steam, and the only game I missed out on by not having a playstation or xbox was Red Dead Redemption? Because this gravy train is leaking.

I got a PS3 almost exclusively for Red Dead Redemption! Because of it I suppose I also got to play Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2, Infamous, and God of War 3, but really RDR was the first and only reason I had for getting a console. Without it, my PS3 would not be sitting up gathering dust once I tired of all those games.

Next gen systems are going to have to pull out some great titles if they want to regain the interest of those that have any idea how to use a computer to play games.

Easton Dark:

thiosk:

But why is it all the really neat stuff is on Steam, and the only game I missed out on by not having a playstation or xbox was Red Dead Redemption? Because this gravy train is leaking.

I got a PS3 almost exclusively for Red Dead Redemption! Because of it I suppose I also got to play Demon's Souls and Uncharted 2, Infamous, and God of War 3, but really RDR was the first and only reason I had for getting a console. Without it, my PS3 would not be sitting up gathering dust once I tired of all those games.

Next gen systems are going to have to pull out some great titles if they want to regain the interest of those that have any idea how to use a computer to play games.

Somehow I'm thinking Microsoft is going to need more than good games to get people to buy their next console. Sony and Nintendo aren't actively trying to undermine their own consumer base. Sony's only real crime is picking unusual features to put on their system that make me think we are going to see the coming of Sky Net in real life.

So, May 21st, either the Powder Keg explodes, or it amounts to very little.
Given Microsoft's recent pushes to emulate Apple (plus the Always-Online DRM package in the Durango dev kit) makes me think that keg is going to blow.

luvd1:
Ok... So why the 21th of may? I take it they already know what is in it, what it can do and what plans it has. So why announce that in 26 days it will make an announcement? That's just stupid, meaningless PR crap to hype up but how can it with nothing new. They could do the announcement now or just wait till E3. This is idiocy at it's worst.

Well they could just hold a random event at a random time and hope people come to it/watch it.

And they could also hope that news sites have all their news monkeys watching the event, ready and able to take notes and spread the news further with articles.

I wouldn't worry too much about missing out on anything interesting though, it wouldn't be an industry giant presentation without one glaring flaw of logic being presented as a bold new direction.

At this point I would be suprised if it wasn't just the public execution of Adam Orth.

erttheking:
Well, time to see if I'll be buying it or if I should finally get Windows 7 for my Mac

the latter one, works perfectly with tons of great Games! Bioshock Infinte....

CriticalMiss:
At this point I would be suprised if it wasn't just the public execution of Adam Orth.

Nah, but they might pull a Roast on the guy.

As of right now, the new system is a Schroedinger Box, and I hold bets that it will remain so.

Oh look, they announced the announcement! Yo dawg and all that.

I suppose we can have 26 days of peace and quiet and no wild speculations now, huh? But really, taking bets on what the ratio of "relevant information vs. PR nonsense" is going to be. I think about 1 vs 27.

It's a testament to how screwed up the state of modern console gaming is that the Xbox Another One debut doesn't have to first sell me on buying the console, but sell me on even considering buying the console - which flat-out won't happen if it's always-online or not backwards-compatible. At any rate, here comes the moment of truth...

I have a feeling May 21st will only be profitable for the popcorn companies.

Timmey:

Even if the thing has always online and blah blah and tanks hard, that is still a really cool ass name.

"The next generation of XBox is coming. Deal with it."

Nah. I'm sure they'll have a pretty concept picture of the console to thumb their noses at Sony. And the "entertainment hub" always-on features will be heavily spun as though they were features people had actually requested. Also seems likely that there will be at least one incredibly tone-deaf statement that will set the tweetworld a-twitter.

But at this point, based on what I've heard, I'm basically hoping the press will treat the release with what seems likely to be an appropriate amount of cynicism, leading up to the consumer public telling big M they can put their happy always-on DRM-friendly console up on the shelf with Windows 8 and then set fire to it. And then climb up next to it to burn, if they can't do any better.

Not that I'm angry or bitter or anything...

Andy Shandy:

Yay, The Weekenders reference! :D

OT: Live steaming of the unveiling? Hmm, might have to check it out.

The always-on is that's making me the most skeptical about this upcoming generation, although, I'm still not sold at all on the PS4 or the Wii-U. Huh... This might just be the first console generation I skip completely, unless something I really want to get comes out that justifies spending $400+ dollars.

So far this new generation has been very underwhelming to me. Let's see if this new Xbox changes my mind.

I've thought of the much much more!:

It now uses your pride as an energy source, so no more having to waste electricity!
When not connected to the internet, it'll still play games, but just constantly plays "Never Gonna Give You Up" over everything!
No matter what game you're playing, it's going to pause every 20-30 min to play a short commercial!
As an added bonus to the deadly deadly bees, it will tell Google to tell all of your contacts that you've died!
Always on MEANS always on... every time you try to turn off the console, a slight electrical shock will issue, just to discourage you!
It also comes with an "always on" camera!
In order to provide timely patches, all games will need a slight subscription!
In order to provide a medium for patches, Xbox Live Silver will need a slight subscription!
In order to function properly, your controller will need a slight subscription!
For your security all of everything you do on it will be monitored and stored on our servers!
To encourage multiplayer participation, it is designed to cause ever-shrinking tunnel vision on the "Join Server" option!
Oh yeah, every game will be required to have the "Join Server" button on screen at all times!
No more seams to have to clean out... because everything will be sealed with thick plastic!
And probably even more!

I wonder, will the early models be as completely worthless to buy as the 360 model in that you have to eventually buy the 360 twice? Why would I ever trust a MS product again?

CyberMachinist:
Well only time will tell just how this will turn out, i know they need to keep somethings hidden so there's going to be.....suspense? is that right? for the xbox's main features or to have time to mitigate the damage with this presentation if their E3 reveal will end sour, all i know is that the videogame industry's future ain't looking bright here.

I'm not sure if there has ever been a console reveal that helped bolster it's hype and reassured everyone that this console is gold, the only one that comes to mind is the ps2 but i have no idea how that went, was to young to have an interest in gaming then.

Timmey:

if it's gonna be called that, it's gonna be hard to name the next console that replaces it afterwards. I highly doubt this is it's actual name, unless MS has a better subtitle to name their inevitable next-next gen console than infinity.

Infinity times two?

All I want is full backwards compatibility and the capability to play games offline. Just give me those two and you can have my money, Microsoft.

M$ HAS to do some serious rumor control because after that last little press release they left a lot of customers fairly unhappy.

Nikolaz72:

CyberMachinist:

Timmey:

Infinity times two?

"Xbox Infinity Plus One"? I'd say they kinda painted themselves into a corner with the name if this is legit, yeah.

Oh please let it have always online DRM.
Please let it not work on used games.
I kind of want to have everything this generation fail just so developers can finally realize they're being stupid by even considering that crap.

Atmos Duality:
Given Microsoft's recent pushes to emulate Apple (plus the Always-Online DRM package in the Durango dev kit) makes me think that keg is going to blow.

That powder keg has been burning for a while already with the lousy roll out of Windows 8 + the poor adoption rates and their tablets that no one really wants. Ballmer has crammed his fingers in his ears and is screaming "lalalala can't hear you" whenever someone has a complaint about win 8.

But you're right, Microsoft has peeked over the fence at Apple and is trying to copy them (MS stores vs the Apple stores, iTunes app store vs MS walled garden app store, the unified OS GUI between tablet/desktop/phone/xbox). Problem is they aren't doing any of them well.

Microsoft like Apple has deep pockets(but not endless) but they desperately need to turn things around for the long run because they are stagnating at the moment.

Jaeger_CDN:

Atmos Duality:

That powder keg has been burning for a while already with the lousy roll out of Windows 8 + the poor adoption rates and their tablets that no one really wants. Ballmer has crammed his fingers in his ears and is screaming "lalalala can't hear you" whenever someone has a complaint about win 8.

But you're right, Microsoft has peeked over the fence at Apple and is trying to copy them (MS stores vs the Apple stores, iTunes app store vs MS walled garden app store, the unified OS GUI between tablet/desktop/phone/xbox). Problem is they aren't doing any of them well.

Microsoft like Apple has deep pockets(but not endless) but they desperately need to turn things around for the long run because they are stagnating at the moment.

Ironically, I think we'd see an ever bigger explosion if the Durango launches with Always-Online DRM or some sort of discriminatory system (I heard a rumor about a cheaper Subscription-based Durango vs more expensive "classic console", though that rumor has no clout behind it, unlike Always Online).

Imagine if people rejected it outright. Sony would take command of the console market pretty much uncontested.
It's not like Nintendo can threaten them; they have a head start and they're struggling right now just to get developers on board.

Of course, that assumes that the AAA publishers, whose games prop up the console market don't collapse first; most of them aren't doing so good right now.

More than anything else what would make me happy, or at least not facepalm as much, would be hearing that its a games console for... y'know games?!

I have a DVD/Blu-ray player, I have an mp3 player, I have a PC for my email and online needs, I dont need another box in my living room trying to be everything I never asked it to be

Hey a man can dream...

First question: Always Online?

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook