Retailers Accidentally Leak Call of Duty: Ghosts

Pages PREV 1 2

How easy can it be to leak an advertisement by accident? One would think it's a complicated process to be done accidentally. You'd practically have to have a computer one Enter key away from posting it and even then the computer would have to be in a high traffic area for someone to press Enter accidentally.

i dont think this was an "accidental" leak. to me this seems more like a marketing strategy so people make a mystery out of it before any official info is released. battlefield 4 had a similar "accidental" leak and i dont believe in that being a mistake either.
they have achieved what they want, people are talking about it.

You know, if the title indicates a more stealth-oriented single player campaign, I might consider purchasing this. The only "modern" CoD title I've played was the first Modern Warfare, and the mission "All Ghillied Up" was the highlight of the game for me.

So will it be Arabs, Russians or Chinese you'll be killing this time?

Oh I forgot... It is all about the multiplayer - sorry.

I knew it was coming but this shit always depresses me in November. All my friends go out and get the game at midnight. They play it all night, show up the next day complaining about how shit it is. Three weeks later they are all talking about how much they love it every single day.

On another note I totally agree with you. Thats not the real artwork because it doesn't have a grizzled man walking towards the camera and looking off to the side.

Call of Duty has a protagonist and named characters? Who knew.

Proverbial Jon:

Yeah you would be surprised... Not like Black Ops 1 had a voice protagonist with a background and such and Black Ops 2 expanded on that with choices and an array of characters.

Oh wait.

God, I understand people hate CoD, but really it's starting to become childish and ignorant.

Parakeettheprawn:
A stealth centric COD game? Is that even possible?

TephlonPrice:
A stealth-focused Call of Duty?

Nah, It'll be like Black Ops, that is to say, despite being right there in the fucking title, next to none, with only heavily scripted "stealth" sections.

A new subtitle is the closest we can get to a new IP from Activision. I find that hilarious. But I haven't played a CoD game in years, so I might be interested in a new subtitle.

Machine Man 1992:
Please be timetraveling ghost Nazis..

They don't really need to time travel, they can just wait.

Personally I'd prefer to be the ghost of Cpt. Price Senior, hunting down dem terrorists with my ghost powers. Maybe with the ghost of Gaz as backup.

My guts say "It will be MW2 with a different playable character". You know, exactly like MW3. Except this time, they let it set parallel and the game ends with your character getting killed (again) - cue credits and a hint to buy MW2 and MW3 to see the "true ending"...

DVS BSTrD:

Machine Man 1992:

With Jetpacks!
And Black Jack!
And hookers!
In fact forget the Blackjack and the Call of Duty.

Nazi Ghost Hookers with Jetpacks?

Korten12:

Proverbial Jon:

Yeah you would be surprised... Not like Black Ops 1 had a voice protagonist with a background and such and Black Ops 2 expanded on that with choices and an array of characters.

Oh wait.

God, I understand people hate CoD, but really it's starting to become childish and ignorant.

You're quite right and I'm sorry; that was rather childish. But I couldn't resist!

The last COD game I played was Modern Warfare 2 and I didn't think it was anything special. That's not the game's fault by any stretch, they're always incredibly polished and play really well... but they're just not the sort of games for me. I like really story-centric games and I honestly couldn't remember much of anything that ever happened in any COD game.

Hey, maybe that's changed now with Back Ops but it's just not a franchise I wish to spend my money on any more. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

Proverbial Jon:

You're quite right and I'm sorry; that was rather childish. But I couldn't resist!

The last COD game I played was Modern Warfare 2 and I didn't think it was anything special. That's not the game's fault by any stretch, they're always incredibly polished and play really well... but they're just not the sort of games for me. I like really story-centric games and I honestly couldn't remember much of anything that ever happened in any COD game.

Hey, maybe that's changed now with Back Ops but it's just not a franchise I wish to spend my money on any more. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

To be fair to you, I'm going to pull a number out of my ass and guess that 80% of CoD buyers buy the game for its multiplayer? And I wouldn't consider XxXsukmybarr3l69XxX to be a named character.

I agree that CoD gets too much hate from some parts of the gaming community, just like WoW gets a whole lot of flak from the everyone-who-doesnt-play-WoW community. But voiced protagonists in a CoD game? Probably the least memorable ever. Probably.

I miss the original idea, you know, when the title of the game actually had some relevance instead of the protagonist being Rambo Mk.48 and was just your average Joe?

And all over the internet there are posts of people complaining about the way CoD games never change, despite the fact that this isn't even out yet and that most of them admittedly haven't played one in ages. Lots of people actually enjoy CoD... actually a lot of people do judging by the sales. If the game is so bad as people say, the sales simply wouldn't be that good.
Saying that, I prefer Treyarch CoD games. Zumbehs, 'nuff said.

unstabLized:
And wow, good job on the naming. "Hey,our main character is gonna be Ghost, what do we name the game? Stealth Tactics? Intrusion? Sneaky fuck-em-up?" "Hmm.. How about GhostS?" "..Ghost?" "No no no, GhostSSSSS." "You brilliant genius.".

I hate to be that guy and I'm sure it was just hyperbole but seriously, look at most games made, their names can be reduced to this. Halo: It's focused on these huge rings called Halos, Portal: A portal based puzzle game and The Elder Scrolls series: Name each one after the area they are set in. Why call a game something outlandish if it has absolutely nothing to do with the game.

CriticalMiss:
A distinct lack of the 'Modern Warfare' subtitle makes me suspicious. Are Activision trying something *gasps* different?! It just doesn't compute unless this is DLC with DLC and microtransactions in it that you have to pay for a season pass AND an online pass to get on top of a subscription. If not then I just don't know what to think any more.

DLCception? Don't give them any ideas...unless they've already thought of the always-on DRM too...*shudder*

My guess(and hope) is that ghosts will cover some of the five years between MW and MW2, including the formation of TF 141, the rise of Makarov in the wake of Zakavs death and presumably showing the character "Ghost" from MW2, as well as showing how Soap ran the unit after Cpt. Price disappeared.

Dalisclock:
My guess(and hope) is that ghosts will cover some of the five years between MW and MW2, including the formation of TF 141, the rise of Makarov in the wake of Zakavs death and presumably showing the character "Ghost" from MW2, as well as showing how Soap ran the unit after Cpt. Price disappeared.

As far as I know "Modern Warfare 2: Ghost" (a comic) and "Operation Kingfish" (a short live-action movie) already cover two of those topics.

Alternatively, Infinity Ward could adopt the Black Ops 2 formula of telling a story across multiple time periods.

Oh, dear glob, NO! Not again! Fuck, I'm probably the only person who plays CoD for the story and let me tell you, Blops 2's story had me confused from beginning to end. Call me dumb but I just couldn't understand what was going on. I mean, I got the gist of it but don't ask me to get into details about it.

OT: I can see this happening. Release date: November? Check. Some "badass" soldier on the cover? Check. Related to MW? Check. "Accidental" leak? Check. I mean, we all knew Blops 2 was coming out before they made the official announcement. Heck, I remember being told at work (GS) to not tell anyone Blops 2 was the next CoD game even though we all knew that already. Reason being was because since the official announcement wasn't out yet, we'd be lying to the customers.

So yeah, sounds plausible.

Beautiful End:
Oh, dear glob, NO! Not again! Fuck, I'm probably the only person who plays CoD for the story and let me tell you, Blops 2's story had me confused from beginning to end. Call me dumb but I just couldn't understand what was going on. I mean, I got the gist of it but don't ask me to get into details about it.

Okay. *calls you dumb*
Happy? Did ask you asked because the story of BO2 is NOT hard to follow. I had more problems with MW1 and MW2 on the first run (mostly because the two storylines in the first didn't seem to be too related until the very end and in the latter seemed to lack a connection between the missions in general)
BO2 on the other hand, I didn't have a problem. At all, even with the multiple outcomes.

Bindal:

Beautiful End:

Okay. *calls you dumb*
Happy? Did ask you asked because the story of BO2 is NOT hard to follow. I had more problems with MW1 and MW2 on the first run (mostly because the two storylines in the first didn't seem to be too related until the very end and in the latter seemed to lack a connection between the missions in general)
BO2 on the other hand, I didn't have a problem. At all, even with the multiple outcomes.

On the other hand, the story for MW was easier to follow for me. Blops 2 kept going back and forth between the past and the future that it was hard for me to follow at times. Like I said, I got the gist of it but I'm pretty sure I missed a lot of important plot point.

So I guess in our case, it's more of a personal opinion rather than one being absolutely right about it.

Zykon TheLich:

Machine Man 1992:

They don't really need to time travel, they can just wait.

Personally I'd prefer to be the ghost of Cpt. Price Senior, hunting down dem terrorists with my ghost powers. Maybe with the ghost of Gaz as backup.

Or maybe they possess people to continue their fight by proxy.

DVS BSTrD:

Machine Man 1992:

With Jetpacks!
And Black Jack!
And hookers!
In fact forget the Blackjack and the Call of Duty.

Timetravelling ghost Nazi Jetpack hookers?

Sounds like a Gearbox title!

Nikolaz72:
Nazi Ghost Hookers with Jetpacks?

Hero in a half shell:
Sounds like a Gearbox title!

To Kickstarter! If you're willing for an M-rating, we can have actual "stretch" goals ;)

hazabaza1:

OT: "Accidentally"

That was my first thought. Considering how inevitable the release of a new Call of Duty is until it stops outselling the previous game in its own franchise, I don't see how any 'leak' of information would be an 'accident'.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here