Heavenly Sword CG Movie On The Way

Heavenly Sword CG Movie On The Way

Nariko is getting her own movie.

That Ratchet & Clank movie trailer sure came out of nowhere, huh? Here's another tidbit of news from a little further out of left field; A studio named Blockade Entertainment is working on a CG movie based on Ninja Theory's Heavenly Sword.

The movie is currently in production at the studio and was scripted by Drive Angry writer, Todd Farmer. Anna Torv will be returning to voice Nariko, but unfortunately, Andy Serkis won't be reprising his role as the evil King Bohan. Instead, Bohan will be played by Alfred Molina, who you'll most likely recognize as Doctor Octopus from Spiderman 2.

Though often referred to as a flop, Heavenly Sword actually wasn't the expensive catastrophe many seem to think. It sold relatively well for a new IP, clearing a million copies sold, even as the PS3 struggled to match the install base of the 360. It received a warm critical response, with a Metacritic score of 79 and a generous user score of 8.4. But the game isn't really remembered for its mechanics as much as its bizarre plot - courtesy of Mirror's Edge pensmith, Rhianna Pratchett - and its stellar voice acting.

Heavenly Sword isn't exactly a huge franchise at this point, its planned sequel having been scrapped years ago, but, much like Ratchet and Clank, Noriko did appear in the recently released PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. Could this be a start of a movie series based on those characters? Is there a vague possibility of a Gravity Rush movie, or alternatively, an 8-Mile-esque Parappa the Rapper movie? Please let that be the case.

Source: Variety

I don't care about a Heavenly Sword CG Movie...

What I DO care about is a ReBOOT CG Movie...

Sad by the lack of Andy Serkis.

Glad by the inclusion of Alfred Molina.

Sad by the fact they're even making a Heavenly Sword movie. *sigh*

I never asked for this

Did *ANYONE* ask for this?

It must be a pet project of the producer since I don't see anyone clamoring for more heavenly sword. Most anyone remembers it as a God of War ripp-off anyway.

Am I the only one that noticed that they referred to her as Noriko AND Nariko in the article?

I liked the game. I even primarily used the costume pieces from it in LBP.

Game is fantastic, no need for a movie, but good luck anyway and I hope it shakes out well.

Perhaps this and the Ratchet and Clank movie are proof of concept projects to show that Sony's intellectual property have the ability to carry a feature length film to turn them into multimedia franchises?

It wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to try and turn them into more recognised franchises (granted Ratchet and Clank are already very well known) and relaunch/launch them on the PS4.

Grey Carter:
its bizarre plot - courtesy of Mirror's Edge pensmith, Rhianna Pratchett

Wouldn't Rhianna Pratchett be better known now for the Tomb Raider reboot?
Although I didn't know about her work on Mirror's Edge, which is pretty cool.

How about making a movie about good games, not bad games that ripped off God of War and greatly inspired the newest DMC thing?

I would buy a Bayonetta movie in a heartbeat.

I'm not entirely sure it merits a movie, and there's more chance of them ruining the poor little game than it being an unexpected success. Also, *Nariko.

Ok, ok.
That's all fine but one quick question.
Why tie what could be a good movie with what I can only assume to be a great writer, to such an unmemorable IP.
It wasn't that good of a game.

Grey Carter:
Is there a vague possibility of a Gravity Rush movie, or alternatively, an 8-Mile-esque Parappa the Rapper movie? Please let that be the case.

Okay, I honestly hate you for putting those ideas into my head because now I really want to see those happen. But I also never want to see that happen because assuming a Hollywood release, I just know they'd both suck.

"Noriko"?

Chigau, ano onna no hito no namae wa "Nariko" desu...baka!

If its good then cool, i really liked the game and yes the story and the Yahzee quoted 'Twing Twang' all was a bit odd but hey it was good just a little crazy.

Perhaps they should be reminded that game to movie translations have never worked.

Sweet! Heavenly Sword was an awesome game. Maybe if this does well Sony can finally lure Ninja Theory back to do a sequel. Although I'd also be okay if they didn't; the ending was fantastic and wrapped up most of the loose ends.

Too bad they didn't get Andy Serkis back. Alfred Molina is awesome, but Serkis owned the part of that crazy motherfucker.

Grey Carter:
Heavenly Sword isn't exactly a huge franchise at this point, its planned sequel having been scrapped years ago, but, much like Ratchet and Clank, Noriko did appear in the recently released PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale. Could this be a start of a movie series based on those characters? Is there a vague possibility of a Gravity Rush movie, or alternatively, an 8-Mile-esque Parappa the Rapper movie? Please let that be the case.

Robot chicken already saw to the Parappa the Rapper idea:

And for some reason I read the first one as Gravity Falls. I was gunna do the whole "six seasons and a movie!" bit

I didn't realize the movies were coming from the ReBoot series studio. That's pretty cool even though they were relevant more than 10 years ago. And so was Ratchet and Clank. Wow. How old am I?!

Good to know Noriko is getting her own movie.

Would rather one about Nariko though. :p

Indeed, this seems out of nowhere and somewhat ridiculous.

What would be amusing (to me, anyway) would be if Disney announced a "Star Wars: Battlefront" companion piece movie. For once, the fanboy rage would be entertaining.

MrBrightside919:

*sigh*

Unfortunately, they've been saying they're working on a ReBoot movie since 2008. It used to be a trilogy, even.

They're too busy making Barbie movies, apparently.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not referring to Heavenly Sword, but actual Barbie movies.

I know it wasn't an absolutely fabulous game, but I could actually see Heavenly Sword making a pretty good over the top Martial Arts flick in the style of Hero or House of Flying Daggers. Shame it wouldn't have Andy Serkis in it, though; he was one of my favourite parts of that game.

Though I'm not too bothered about a movie of it being made and it's doubtful I'll watch it, I actually quite liked the game and it has some of the best facial animation I've ever seen.

I just hope this will be better than the other stuff Rainmaker has done since they changed the name from Mainframe to Rainmaker. If you look at their modern filmography, it's full of stuff like the CGI Barbie movies and those crappy Scary Godmother specials. Really a shame for the place that brought us Beast Wars and Reboot.

I really liked Heavenly Sword. I didn't ask for this movie, but I am glad someone wants to make it. I'm going to watch the hell out of this.

People still remember this game and care enough for them to make a film out of it?
Granted I do admit that the advert of the game was impressive cos the visual made it look like it wasn't a game (game graphic) or was that a lie (the text below the ad say it was the ingame engine or something like that)?

Zachary Amaranth:

MrBrightside919:

*sigh*

Unfortunately, they've been saying they're working on a ReBoot movie since 2008. It used to be a trilogy, even.

They're too busy making Barbie movies, apparently.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm not referring to Heavenly Sword, but actual Barbie movies.

One day...one day it will return...

AND IT WILL BE GLORIOUS!

If this turns out to be as faithfull to the game as possible, then it should be fairly easy to sit.through.

Until you get to the climax, where the only way to see how it ends is to break every single one of your toes with a ball-peen hammer.

I think it's important to point out that the guys who made ReBoot don't work for Rainmaker. They're off doing their own shit now. Rainmaker just owns the rights to ReBoot after buying Mainframe entertainment.

This is like if I said the guys who made Star Wars are making Guardians of the Galaxy.

Sometimes I feel like the only person who actually likes this game. Good to know that there's at least a couple of us out there. Sure, bring on the movie. Too bad Andy Serkis won't be involved though

MrBrightside919:

AND IT WILL BE GLORIOUS!

Oh, I hope so. Though who can you get to replace the amazing voice of Tony Jay?

josh4president:
I never asked for this

Did *ANYONE* ask for this?

I do believe a few people asked for a Deus Ex movie. They were supposed to be making one...

008Zulu:
Perhaps they should be reminded that game to movie translations have never worked.

Eh... Final Fantasy: Advent Children was good...

And that's about it...

So... ALMOST never...

Zachary Amaranth:

MrBrightside919:

AND IT WILL BE GLORIOUS!

Oh, I hope so. Though who can you get to replace the amazing voice of Tony Jay?

...god I love Tony Jay...what an incredible voice...

RIP

Wow sounds great! I am one of a few people who really enjoyed the game!! It's something I'd like to call: Flawed perfection.
The story is cheesy, but the characters are enjoyable, unique and memorable. The gameplay is simple but it works.
And the voice acting and facial expressions... damn! Music too, amazing!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here