Rumor: EA Closes PopCap Vancouver, EA Partners - UPDATED

Pages PREV 1 2

*many facepalms*

Dear EA!

Please understand that you only know one thing when it comes to gaming and that is EA Sports. Anything else is a complete mystery. Pull your collective heads out of your sphincters and leave the running of the company to someone why actually understands the market.

Honestly, every time EA is mentioned nowadays this image pops in my head

faefrost:

Johnson McGee:
They pay millions for these studios, why do they just shutter them in these situations? They could at least try to find a buyer or other way to let the studio continue to operate while still giving up their financial commitment. I never hear news articles along the lines of 'EA sells studio X to publisher Y' or even 'EA cuts ties to studio X, studio X searching for other financial backers'.

That's because EA often buys the studios in large part for the IP. Even if they shutter the studio they still own and control the IP.

They'd still be better off negotiating a license deal for some proceeds of their IP rather than just sitting on a bunch of defunct franchises. Even if they want to keep their IP they could still give the studio the opportunity to keep its talent and infrastructure together.

Different management, same shit, EA.

"EA closes PopCap Vancouver" Wait... EA OWNS POPCAP???!!! WHAT?! I never even knew about this and now my day has become completely sad and depressing.

It's getting kinda depressing with how routine this all is.

Exactly how is EA still sustaining itself when it's constantly loosing developers anyway?

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come at EA.

A man can dream I guess.

faefrost:

-Dragmire-:

Fappy:
EA's girth is getting the better of them. I wouldn't be surprised if these cuts continue and EA ends up downsizing and focusing all of their efforts on a specific demographic. I'd have thought a multimedia conglomerate would have bought them out by now, but considering how poor their stock's doing I don't really blame anyone from staying away.

Hopefully this ends soon. As much as I feel the industry needs to undergo a big change, it always sucks to have studios close and people lose their jobs.

Maybe after seeing THQ go down, potential buyers are waiting for EA to fall apart so they can bid on bits and pieces of the company.

If EA does fall apart, I'm guessing it'll be a very slow fall. I imagine they still have plenty of chances now to correct themselves before their investors want to bail with paychecks from liquidation.

the problem is, if EA falls there probably won't be anyone with the interest or the backing to bid on those pieces. EA falling would trigger the second great video game crash (if it isn't already happening). Investors and financial institutions would be loathe to throw money at those seeking to buy up its assets at anything beyond junk prices. There won't be a lot of venture capital out there to develop the projects. The fall of EA might make video games toxic from a financial services point of view. We as gamers don't want that. As much as we hate EA, we do not want them going under. We want them smaller, better, and back to delivering the sorts of games we grew up with. But them falling over completely is bad for all of us.

But I think it also paints a picture to future publishers - It's not the always the people in suits you want to get attention anymore. It's the people in jeans, t-shirts, and sneakers who are willing to provide the money now, given you have a strong enough reputation and concept they want to back.

Evil Smurf:
I remember when we liked EA

I was just playing SSX On Tour a few minutes ago of me typing this. Hell, I remember playing a game in high-school and looking at the back of the instruction booklet, thinking: "Shit... working at EA would be awesome..."

That was 10 years ago. And we all know that a lot can happen in 10 years...

Grabehn:
"EA closes PopCap Vancouver" Wait... EA OWNS POPCAP???!!! WHAT?! I never even knew about this and now my day has become completely sad and depressing.

Happened a year or so ago, pretty much knew they were doomed from that point... suddenly all they came out with was FaceBook games and spin-offs, appealing to the FarmVille market rather than doing what they do best. It's really depressing, but nothing if not expected :/

Evil Smurf:

your not alone in this endevour, but that is gone.
altrough the old CEO is back, which means he coudl be bringing the company back on track, by cutting down the parts that shouldnt have been there to begin with.

Strazdas:

Evil Smurf:

altrough the old CEO is back, which means he coudl be bringing the company back on track, by cutting down the parts that shouldnt have been there to begin with.

I hope so, I want to support EA, they make good games generally. I hope their future is bright

Your Company gets bought by EA: You have a year or maybe two to search for another Job.

Captcha: "Foul play". Indeed.

Evil Smurf:

Strazdas:

Evil Smurf:

I hope so, I want to support EA, they make good games generally. I hope their future is bright

Yep i think the best thing that can happen now is EA shrinking to a reasonable size and taking a turn for good gamemaking.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here