Sony Claims PS4 Launch Line-Up Strongest in PlayStation History

Pages PREV 1 2

inkheart_artist:
Wonder if this launch line up is going to be large enough to make up for no reverse compatibility. Just kidding, I know it won't. It sounds like this next generation is going to be an unmitigated disaster for the whole console scene. As lackluster as the Wii U has been, it's starting to sound like it may be the least screwed up of the entire next gen.

This generation both the PS4 and the XBox"whatever" will be using essentially the same hardware. They will be built on x86 architecture with fairly common PC type GPU's and subsystems. The developers have been making and developing stuff for this type hardware for 2 decades now. There will probably be very little ramp up for them. Plus the two consoles being so close hardware wise will make it extremely easy to simply port versions of a game between one and the other. or maybe port is the wrong word. They can literally develop and optimize for both at once without having to port one way or the other. I think developers will more rapidly flee the PS3's cell architecture and the XBox's PowerPC to run to the new devices x86 much more rapidly this go round. The only thing that will be left in the cold is the Nintendo WiiU... but honestly, it's already there and shows no signs of moving to anyplace warmer or friendlier.

With no BC at launch, it will need a large launch line-up to get people a reason to buy one over sticking with the current gen.

"Sony Claims PS4 Launch Line-Up Strongest in PlayStation History"

Well of course they would...
"So our PS4 launch line-up is probably the 2nd, maybe even 3rd strongest in PlayStation History"

faefrost:
Translation:

"The PS4 is really just an x86 Gaming PC hooked up to your TV. We can port just about anything currently available on Steam to it's architecture in about an afternoon. So expect a launch line up of lots of old familiar PC friends. Leading the pack Diablo 3!!!"

I think that is a good thing. However, will you be able to connect a keyboard and mouse to it?

SpAc3man:
Every time I see talk about the PS4 using x86 I just smile. This is the best part about the new console. PC ports with crap performance on mid-range PCs will be a thing of the past.

I agree with this. They're certainly trying to bring developers back to playstation with this and this is a strong step in the right direction.

Colt47:

canadamus_prime:
So we can expect Call of Duty, Battlefield, Another Call of Duty, Another Battlefield, Yet Another Call of Duty, Yet Another Battlefield, More Call of Duty, and More Battlefield.

Your pattern is precariously missing Assassins Creed and possibly Uncharted. Those two seem to be bed fellows with the Playstation brand these days.

Oh right sorry, so we'd have Call of Duty: Modern Battlefield 8 and Uncharted Assassin's Creed 6.

Incidentally it's interesting to note that the key words there are "Strongest in PlayStation History". If I'm not mistaken, pretty much any sort or launch line-up could be considered the strongest in PlayStation history; so that isn't exactly saying much.

Thing is, it's not just about launch titles, but the games released in the follow up months/ year. The PS Vita had an amazing launch line up of 30 or so games! Many of them were awesome. Yet, since then, the last year saw a complete drought in games. Lets hope this isn't the case with the PS4.

It seems like Sony made a mistake by releasing The Last of Us on PS3. If it was a PS4 launch title I might have been swayed over to the dark side by it. And I'm not too keen on some games coming out like the new Assassin's Creed on both current and "next-gen" consoles. There needs to be an incentive to shell out $500 for a new console, but why would I when I can buy the games on a console I already own for $60?

But anywho it will probably be better than the WiiU's launch by virtue of coming out with more than three exclusive games at launch.

TheRightToArmBears:
I really hope that they've learnt from the PS3 launch. I'll admit that as kid that grew up playing PS1 and PS2 games, I do have a bit of a soft spot for the Playstation, I'd like to see it do well.

So yeah, hopefully he's not spouting fountains of bollocks and it will be sensibly priced too.

Pretty much this. The PS1 was my very first game console growing up. So I too have a bit of a soft spot for the Playstation family.

Sony Claims " The PS4 Launch Line-Up Strongest in PlayStation History "

Unless the Playstation 4 has native backwards compatibility ( which it won't ) then this is my response to this NAIVE OPINION.

The playstation 2 had THE STRONGEST PLAYSTATION LIBRARY IN HISTORY due to the FACT it had BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY not IN SPITE OF IT. Lets be honest if you DENY backwards compatibility then you LIMIT your library by throwing old games away just for the reason that they are " old ". I would bet money to say this statement was likely said to " encourage investors and customers to put money into their product " rather then to INFORM the people that planned to purchase the product.

Wii-U: iPad's are cool right?
Dur-mango: Deal with it.
PS4: SOCIAL WOOO!

The lesser of three evils at this stage, at least Sony seems to acknowledge previous failures.

DVS BSTrD:

slash2x:

DVS BSTrD:
Strongest Launch line-up is still relative, and a long way from saying it will actually be good.

Hell I would be happy if it was decent at this point. I have a funny feeling their overpriced mid range PC will not do so hot and they are going to blame the games. BUT THERE WILL BE ALOT OF THEM!

Silly slash2x, you don't blame games for bad PC returns. You blame pirates.

Aww shit... It is Sony so yeah they will attack some random dude that tries to use the PS4.345 as a PC. He will be sued for every penny he will ever make and then they will put his head on a pike to warn the rest of us about trying to use something we paid for....

The interesting detail about the next generation is that from what I've observed on the forums here, a lot of us at least are not really looking towards buying the new consoles: We are happy that the consoles are utilizing a common architecture so that if some other audience buys up the consoles we will have a lot of quality ports to PC. Right now I'm thinking the console manufacturers are going the complete opposite direction and are hoping that the PC gaming ring will act as a filter for revealing the better kickstarter and independent titles, then have those ported over.

The problem with the previous idea is that it isn't the games that are restricting the success of the consoles as much as the value. Currently consumer spending is down and the first thing that takes a hit when that happens is the leisure time based industries: something we are seeing happening across the board. $60 for a game product is a pretty steep investment for a lot of people right now, and in my mind companies should be focused less on making back investments quickly and focus more on releasing products now and recouping costs further down the road.

I'd like this to be true, but what I'd really Love was for the backwards compatibility they're demonstrably Not having.

I understand why it doesn't play PS3 content, because of the hardware differences, that's something they did to themselves by wanting Cell so much. But PS2? Why not! It has one of the biggest and most loved libraries of all time, I for one have at least 20 games sitting on my shelf gathering dust because of my ps3 compatible breaking and-

Captcha: Calm down!

Sigh... yeah, guess there's little to do about it now. I'll just buy a better pc and emulate from there. -.-

Well, if this turns out to be true, it might be just what they need.

If.

faefrost:
snip

You're missing the point I'm getting at. I'm getting at the fact that there will be no reverse compatibility so the library of games everyone has been collecting for 5 years is forfeit. Of course they're going to port these games over and, for a fee, you will be able to add them back to your collection but all the money you spent, all the achievements you got, all the save games you had will be gone and they want you to pay for it again for the service. All of this for consoles that will be about mid range PC strength with architecture where, you're right, it would be no problem to allow these games to play on the new system because its essentially the same. That's an unmitigated disaster in my opinion. I don't see people in their right mind buying into this in the numbers it would need to succeed, and honestly I hope it won't get those numbers. This mentality of "we don't give a crap about our customers" needs to stop and it sounds like this next gen will be that in spades.

canadamus_prime:
So we can expect Call of Duty, Battlefield, Another Call of Duty, Another Battlefield, Yet Another Call of Duty, Yet Another Battlefield, More Call of Duty, and More Battlefield.

I'm sorry I think you are missing Madden 2013, Madden 2014, Madden 2015. Also Fifa 2013, Fifa 2014, Fifa 2015 etc etc.

Also any number of Assassin creeds.

CAPTCHA: comma, comma

RatherDull:

SpAc3man:
Every time I see talk about the PS4 using x86 I just smile. This is the best part about the new console. PC ports with crap performance on mid-range PCs will be a thing of the past.

I agree with this. They're certainly trying to bring developers back to playstation with this and this is a strong step in the right direction.

Probably. You can connect a keyboard to the current ps3 no problem, I do it all the time. I'm not sure how a mouse would work. That might depend on game support? I've never tried it on a ps3.

inkheart_artist:

faefrost:
snip

You're missing the point I'm getting at. I'm getting at the fact that there will be no reverse compatibility so the library of games everyone has been collecting for 5 years is forfeit. Of course they're going to port these games over and, for a fee, you will be able to add them back to your collection but all the money you spent, all the achievements you got, all the save games you had will be gone and they want you to pay for it again for the service. All of this for consoles that will be about mid range PC strength with architecture where, you're right, it would be no problem to allow these games to play on the new system because its essentially the same. That's an unmitigated disaster in my opinion. I don't see people in their right mind buying into this in the numbers it would need to succeed, and honestly I hope it won't get those numbers. This mentality of "we don't give a crap about our customers" needs to stop and it sounds like this next gen will be that in spades.

The backwards compatibility ship mostly sailed years ago. I think we proved to the console makers that we bitch and whine about it alot. But once a new consoles available library crosses a certain threshold we buy in regardless.

I call bullshit. Just because you can port PC games easily now to the PS4 since it uses PC hardware now, it doesn't mean it will have a good launch line up. Don't get me wrong, I'm really embracing the fact that we, PC gamers, won't get shitty ports again or the development will be with the PC first in mind then ported since it's the same hardware.

So far from the press conference we have: (not sure if they are launch games though)

- Knack, need I say more ?

- The Witness, again same question.

- Killzone Shadow Fall, numberless sequel which is 4th in the series.

- Deep Down, Capcom's answer to Dark Souls only this will be most probably multiplatform anyway.

- Infamous Second Son, another numberless sequel number 4 in the franchise.

- Watch Dogs, multiplatform.

- Unnanounced Final Fantasy, most probably a multi platform as well.

- Diablo 3, you're so funny Sony.

Very "strong" line up you got there what can I say.

I want to remind you before you start proving me wrong or say that these aren't launch titles that these will be on the PS4. We will see which of them will actually launch with the console.

Interesting, I'm a sony guy but considering I hardly play games now I don't see that changing by the launch date. Maybe a year or two after after the significant price drops. And as far as backwards compatibility... well at least my fat ps3 is still working and playing ps1 games like a charm.

Edit: what I'd like is a 60 dollar package where they bundle ps1 games for download after you buy. I'd pay for that even though I could emulate but a whole ps1 library at your finger tips for 60 bucks that would be a bargain and awesome launch gimmick. Though I know that is not gonna happen.

faefrost:

The backwards compatibility ship mostly sailed years ago. I think we proved to the console makers that we bitch and whine about it alot. But once a new consoles available library crosses a certain threshold we buy in regardless.

That's not true at all. The first time we saw any backwards compatibility dust ups where the situation was a flat out "no backwards compatibility" was when the PS3 pulled the rug out from under it's early adopters. It was a bait and switch tactic then, they gave the PS3 backwards compatibility and then took it away. It's true I ended up getting one, less than a year ago when I found I could get it for less then what I bought my last PS2 for.

Yes, the library eventually became big enough that I couldn't ignore it but that was 5 years after it was on the market and as they were winding it down for the next system. That's hardly a win for them and as troubled as the start up for the PS3 was, it had backwards compatibility for a massive library of games on it's side through the ordeal, and that's on top of a very powerful machine for its time. Now the PS4 won't have that library and it won't have that power. You could feasibly build a more powerful PC for less then what you could buy the console for and you could have the library of all PC games, not to mention emulated games from consoles. And then all signs point to the next Xbox doing the same thing so there's that.

take their gameing else where? where would that be? It is clear the microsoft has no interest in catering to core gamers with all their "hey look at all this other stuff than gaming it can do" and the wii u is not having a good time.

hawkeye52:

canadamus_prime:

I'm sorry I think you are missing Madden 2013, Madden 2014, Madden 2015. Also Fifa 2013, Fifa 2014, Fifa 2015 etc etc.

Also any number of Assassin creeds.

CAPTCHA: comma, comma

Oh yeah right. That too. __
EDIT: Such an incredible line-up we have to look forward to.
/sarcasm

inkheart_artist:

faefrost:

That's not true at all. The first time we saw any backwards compatibility dust ups where the situation was a flat out "no backwards compatibility" was when the PS3 pulled the rug out from under it's early adopters. It was a bait and switch tactic then, they gave the PS3 backwards compatibility and then took it away. It's true I ended up getting one, less than a year ago when I found I could get it for less then what I bought my last PS2 for.

Yes, the library eventually became big enough that I couldn't ignore it but that was 5 years after it was on the market and as they were winding it down for the next system. That's hardly a win for them and as troubled as the start up for the PS3 was, it had backwards compatibility for a massive library of games on it's side through the ordeal, and that's on top of a very powerful machine for its time. Now the PS4 won't have that library and it won't have that power. You could feasibly build a more powerful PC for less then what you could buy the console for and you could have the library of all PC games, not to mention emulated games from consoles. And then all signs point to the next Xbox doing the same thing so there's that.

Actually this is kind of a myth. Of all the consoles over all the years, here are the ones that were fully and fully functionally backwards compatable. PS2 was fully PS1 compatable and Wii was fully Game Cube compatable. (In theory WiiU is also Wii compatable). There has also been a weirdly evolving thing over the years with Nntendo's Game Boy >DS line, where each may go back a certain degree.

The initial PS3 tried a hardware emulation but it had issues and was dropped. XBox360 has some backwards compatibility but really just for a limited and almost random number of games. A few early consoles tried out add on devices to achieve it and allow for older cartridges, but they tended to be flaky, expensive and were rarely if ever actually seen in the wild. (The reason being they basically were he older console that simply played through the cartridge slot of the new one.)

The only consoles that really have leveraged their pre existing libraries at launch were the PS2 and the Wii. Now granted this is something that the console makers should look at closely as these 2 were also the best selling game consoles of all time. But that backwards compatibility is really not something they are pulling out from under us. It's something we have only rarely ever seen in the past. And while it is a nice to have feature, long term I am not sure how many would be willing to solidly increase the cost of the system to achieve it?

mad825:
So, yeah. Sony, when are we going to talk about how much the PS4 going to cost?...How much are the games going to cost?

If they go for $1200 here again they can consider their sales abysmal again; most people I know bought the console around 2009 to wait for the ludicrous price to drop down as it was more expensive than an equal power PC for christ's sake.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here