Rumor: Next Xbox Gives Publishers Control Over Always-Online Features

Rumor: Next Xbox Gives Publishers Control Over Always-Online Features

Microsoft's next-gen console, which will be revealed on May 21, will reportedly allow achievements to be added after a game's release without DLC.

Just two days ago, Microsoft announced that it would unveil its successor to the Xbox 360 on May 21. Though the next Xbox reveal is just weeks away, that hasn't stopped rumors about the console from rolling in. The latest report comes from Polygon, whose sources have some interesting information about the long-rumored always-online functionality. According to the sources, the console will indeed have always-online functionality, but individual publishers can decide how to use it. That means "the decision of whether a game will require an internet connection to work and if that is a one-time authentication or a constant connection" could vary from game to game, instead of the console forcing gamers to stay connected at all times.

Publishers will also have more control over the next Xbox's achievement system if Polygon's report is true. When the next-gen Microsoft console launches, game makers will be able to add more achievements to a game without adding DLC, possibly to encourage players to get past tough parts of games, find secrets and hidden items, or participate in special events.

Additionally, the cap on the number of Xbox Live friends you can have may be going away, and gamers can choose to "follow" each other, instead of requiring a two-way friendship. This is part of Microsoft's attempt to make Xbox Live more like social networks like Twitter and Facebook, according to Polygon.

Hopefully at least some of these rumors will be confirmed or denied on May 21; it would be nice to stop speculating and actually have some concrete information. It won't be long before the Next Xbox (with a real name) is official; whether gamers like what they hear when Microsoft finally confirms the console's existence remains to be seen.

Source: Polygon

Okay I'm going to say this is fake and calmly wait until Microsoft THEMSELVES say this stuff before raging. Also INB4 publisher hate.

Though the "limitless friends list" is actually kinda nice

Also another good rumor:

If it's true it's still bad. Sony has a console that will let you play all your games offline. Always-on or Always at the mercy of publishers is pretty much the same shitty deal if you ask me.

Social networking and always online in the hands of greedy publishers.

It just sounds delightful already.

Adam Jensen:
If it's true it's still bad.

Well, at least it's.. better? I dunno..

Not good mind, but.. Better.

I smell a fake but this is a popular rumour and there's no smoke without fire.

I've already committed to switching entirely to PC gaming anyway (rather than being on the fence) so no big deal for me. Hope the console audience don't get screwed over too much, though I've found plenty get pretty defensive and in favour of always online bullshit. It's a shame when audiences are dumb enough to encourage stuff like that and ruin it for everyone else, but c'est la vie.

In regards to current gen gaming, I look forward to seeing the end of generation masterpieces. Bioshock Infinite was amazing, and I look forward to Destiny and GTAV.

Terminate421:
Okay I'm going to say this is fake and calmly wait until Microsoft THEMSELVES say this stuff before raging. Also INB4 publisher hate.

Though the "limitless friends list" is actually kinda nice

Also another good rumor:

I hope the Xbox after that one is "Infinity+1."

Followed by "Infinity+1timesAmillion."

Roofstone:

Adam Jensen:
If it's true it's still bad.

Well, at least it's.. better? I dunno..

Not good mind, but.. Better.

To me it equates to the same thing, whether Microsoft or the Publishers choosing how and when we can play their games we pay for. I much prefer the Ps4 letting me choose or even my WiiU and PC lets me choose when I can play my game (as long as you stay away from D3, Simcity, or an MMO).

You know, why doesn't everyone just wait until the damn thing is revealed.

Because right now there's rumours about everything, besides maybe whether or not the thing will function as a toastie-maker - although I now expect that to be classed as a rumour too before the 21st of May.

The funniest thing is the amount of "Nextbox info" things flying up from sites.

Let's take Kotaku's for example

"Everything We Know About The Next Xbox"

Which goes on to basically list a bunch of unconfirmed rumours.

Quality games journalism, Kotaku, top-notch.

So yeah, ain't believing jack shit until the 21st.

So the conditions will still be the same, we'll just have to blame someone else for it.
But hey always online and the follow feature will be great for stalkers, so there's that right?

Seriously Microsoft, If I wanted facebook I'd get facebook, and I'd still be using one of your computers to get it anyway>

Still bad news, just the degree we've been burned has been toned down, we've still been burned.

Thankfully it sounds like the OS is not always online so at least as an entertainment system for DVD's maybe, all is well.

Hopefully it will fall to developers and publishers to realize that always online was introduced to PC before console was maybe not just because of the slow console generation but also because piracy is more prevalent on PC than console. its much harder to pirate for console indeed! Thus always online shouldn't be seen as the main way to ensure people must pay for the game to play it, but rather to enrich the gaming experience. i wouldn't mind a quick validity check before i play the game so long as it didn't throw a hissy fit when my connection went. And i wouldn't mind using always on in a standby sense. maybe, for example, if i'm on the xbox dash and a game update wants to download. maybe this update contains new achievements or dlc. because i'm on the dashboard between games, i don't care. The connection was there, i wasn't really using the console and it took the chance to enhance my gaming experience.

I'm just hoping this is how developers use this new found connection to us, not for money grabbing. I'm a pc gamer now, was an xbox gamer before hand. i could still be tempted to buy a new xbox. i'll see after this press conference and E3!

This isn't so bad, but potentially it's still awful if it lets publishers think that they can get away with inflicting always online. It would still be a very good reason not to buy an Xbox if it's true

Yeah, the DRM is still completely bad.

But the thing that really is ticking me off is the fact that developers can add more achievements to a game. That is insanely stupid. I love 100% a game and being able to wear it like a little badge. However, the little pleasure that I am afforded by achievements is being ruined by three things:

1) Online achievements - YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE ONLINE ACHIEVEMENTS. Achievements are a measure of single player progress. I do not want to have to trust that I am going to play with complete morons or have to cheat with a group of friends to pull off some of the idiotic achievements you come up with in multiplayer.

2) Expiring Achievements - Related to the last one, but it still ticks me off. Just because you shut down your servers because nobody is playing your terrible game anymore does not mean that we should lose the ability to complete a game.

3) DLC / Extra achievements - I've completed your game, I should not lose the "Completed" status because you added more achievements to a DLC pack that I have to buy or go back into the game once I'm done and jump through more of your hoops to get 100%. Stop giving out achievements for completing tutorials and basic level completion and you'll have more points to spend on real achievements!

Sorry... I just hate the current system...

Stop. Just... fucking stop.

"Rumor this", "rumor that". It's all just getting out of hand.

I'm curious...

If this is true, would this allow a publisher to sell a game without an always online requirement only to then change their mind after launch and enable it? It would be a PR nightmare but that doesn't seem to be a concern lately.

The more stuff that brews up, the more appealing PC gaming becomes.

Not knocking it, mind you (I'm on the fence to buy MDK2 now or later). I just never thought about committing until recently.

Terminate421:
Okay I'm going to say this is fake and calmly wait until Microsoft THEMSELVES say this stuff before raging.

What kind of madness is this? Reason in the face of rumours retconning rumours?

You can bet Ubisoft will be all over this (if true), because it worked so well when they did it with their PC games.

Now bare with me here as I'm about to put on the tinfoil hat, but...

I'm starting to think that Microsofts PR people are the ones starting, and perpetuating, all the "doom-and-gloom" rumors and leaks we've been hearing lately. I'm thinking they're the ones attempting to "stir the hive".

Why? So when they finally do get around to revealing the next Xbox, even if it has ridiculous DRM measures and other non-consumer-friendly "features", it won't seem nearly as bad as the rumors initially made it seem. Thus, making people more "accepting" of it all. As if to say, "Well, at least it isn't as bad as we thought!"

Ludicrous and paranoid posturing, I know, but I'm seriously starting to wonder...

GAunderrated:
or an MMO).

Well to be fair the only reason to play MMO is to play online so neding to be online to do that is a no brainer. although you coudl technically play MMOs offline (host your own server), it is kind of pointless. Its quite fun to have your server and allow 2 friends in and do some sort of like creature vs creature battles that you control and whatnot.

Andy Shandy:

Let's take Kotaku's for example

"Everything We Know About The Next Xbox"

Which goes on to basically list a bunch of unconfirmed rumours.

Quality games journalism, Kotaku, top-notch.

Wait people still read Kotaku? the journalism there died years ago.

Rogue 09:
three things:
[snip]

Compeltely agree, achievements should be a local singleplayer thing. sometimes a "goal" in multiplyer is nice, but i usually set up my own one (like get x number turret kills) however taking achievements in there is a bad idea. the only online games i play are designed to be online from the start, for the rest i dont even turn on multiplayer.

SageRuffin:

Not knocking it, mind you (I'm on the fence to buy MDK2 now or later). I just never thought about committing until recently.

You should, we at the gloriuos PC master race welcome our new members with the shower of console peasants blood.

So...nothing different from before? Because that's what I'm getting from this. The game publishers already had the say as to whether or not their game was always-on or not. This would just be making that fact public. Seriously, why is this part the bad thing? I honestly dislike Microsoft greatly, but I can't see the bad side in this, besides the public now knowing what was already a looming threat.

And as for the social part, why do people care this much if an option is there that you don't have to take? It boggles the mind as to why people care this much about some arbitrary function that they can ignore.

I think the 720 will be shit from lack of any actually decent exclusives, not because it decided to be "social."

It's late though, and I am a wee bit cranky, maybe I'll be more willing to listen to nonsense in the morning.

I don't buy it only because I don't think a company as big as Microsoft would make this bad of a business decision. If the Nextbox has always online DRM (whether they want to blame publishers or not) I will simply take my business elsewhere.

redmoretrout:
I don't buy it only because I don't think a company as big as Microsoft would make this bad of a business decision.

The Prosecution would like present Exhibits A and B; Windows Vista and Windows 8 respectively.

All legends spring from some nugget of truth. I expect Sony pulling crap like this, but with Microsoft.. I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

klaynexas3:
So...nothing different from before? Because that's what I'm getting from this. The game publishers already had the say as to whether or not their game was always-on or not. This would just be making that fact public. Seriously, why is this part the bad thing? I honestly dislike Microsoft greatly, but I can't see the bad side in this, besides the public now knowing what was already a looming threat.

And as for the social part, why do people care this much if an option is there that you don't have to take? It boggles the mind as to why people care this much about some arbitrary function that they can ignore.

I think the 720 will be shit from lack of any actually decent exclusives, not because it decided to be "social."

It's late though, and I am a wee bit cranky, maybe I'll be more willing to listen to nonsense in the morning.

On PS3 every disk game just works offline. Same thing with PS4 as far as we know. So, yeah.
Arbitrary functions are annoying. For example SingStar icon on PS3. Not a big deal? But I've started to play on it much less and buying less PS3 games now. Because shitstar icon pisses me off every time I see it.
But yeah, no decent exclusives plus some games are always online while on PS4 they are not. If rumors are true only an actual idiot would buy new xbox.

That said, there are more dumb people than you might think.

Lord_Gremlin:

klaynexas3:

On PS3 every disk game just works offline. Same thing with PS4 as far as we know. So, yeah.
Arbitrary functions are annoying. For example SingStar icon on PS3. Not a big deal? But I've started to play on it much less and buying less PS3 games now. Because shitstar icon pisses me off every time I see it.
But yeah, no decent exclusives plus some games are always online while on PS4 they are not. If rumors are true only an actual idiot would buy new xbox.

That said, there are more dumb people than you might think.

Maybe I don't know enough about how consoles work, but couldn't a publisher in this generation have made their games always-on had they wanted to? Because it seems like that would be the case, but maybe the technology isn't there on the current consoles for that type of annoyance yet.

And I don't know what this SingStar icon is. I've never seen it while playing my PS3. For the most part, all the news and social crap just seemed to be in the small upper right corner of the screen, and even then it went away when I started a game, and only came on to tell me that one of my friends was on. Maybe I've just become too accustomed to tuning the annoyances out on whatever platform I happen to be playing on.

So the speculation is that the next Xbox will allow developers to have the choice of whether their game requires always on DRM to play or not, so some games will be completely offline, some will require authentication codes, some will have always on DRM.

Hold on a minute, Isn't that exactly what we have nowadays, on computers at the very least, I don't know of any console games that require always online DRM but Ubisoft must have made a few?

I really hope the DRM thing is all just an awful rumour. But they haven't done a thing to deny any of it, which really worries me. Oh well, me and pretty much all my friends are of the opinion that we'll get whichever new console doesn't come loaded with all kinds of bullshit. So far, there's nothing about the PS4 I really object to. Yeah, the share functions are pretty poultry compared to the tech and software lets-players are already using, but at least it doesn't look like it'll get in the way of the enjoyment.

klaynexas3:

Maybe I don't know enough about how consoles work, but couldn't a publisher in this generation have made their games always-on had they wanted to? Because it seems like that would be the case, but maybe the technology isn't there on the current consoles for that type of annoyance yet.

In case of blu-ray release for PS3 - no, they can not.

Strazdas:

SageRuffin:

You should, we at the gloriuos PC master race welcome our new members with the shower of console peasants blood.

Please mind your words. Jokes or otherwise, reading stuff like this sets my teeth on edge. Not to mention all it does is reinforce stereotypes.

SageRuffin:

Strazdas:

SageRuffin:

Please mind your words. Jokes or otherwise, reading stuff like this sets my teeth on edge. Not to mention all it does is reinforce stereotypes.

It was meant as a joke, i guess it didnt work :(

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here