Dragon's Crown Designer Apologizes for Exaggerated Characters

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Darken12:
Well, I'm glad he apologised for the disgusting homophobic joke, at least.

Also, he didn't apologise for the designs. He explained how he got to them and then apologised if YOU didn't see what he originally saw. He's not admitting that there was anything wrong with what he did whatsoever (though I'm not surprised by that), except, perhaps, that he should have tried harder to bring forth that "light-hearted fantasy tone" he talks about.

Either way, it's progress, I guess.

The thing is, if you look at his previous works (Odin Sphere and Princess Crown), You can see that there are tons of both exaggerated and understated characters of both sexes. Nothing in Dragon's Crown is any different than those. Which makes the current fervor odd for anyone familiar with his work.

SAMAS:
The thing is, if you look at his previous works (Odin Sphere and Princess Crown), You can see that there are tons of both exaggerated and understated characters of both sexes. Nothing in Dragon's Crown is any different than those. Which makes the current fervor odd for anyone familiar with his work.

Odd? Sure, I can agree with that. Though I'm also sure that you will find people offering critical opinions to his works since he started making them public (though admittedly, nothing that went as massive as this).

I am still totally in favour of offering a critical analysis of his artistic choices, and I consider his response to criticism to be juvenile and homophobic. While the criticism itself may not have been stellar (it could have been nicer, I'll agree with that), it was still something that deserved to exist and with which I happen to agree, in general terms.

Tanis:
People who get 'upset' at crap like this need to grow a damn spine and get over it.

Bingo. We now have artists apologizing for their work because it upsets people. Stick to your damn guns.

I don't see anything wrong with the design he went with. Looks good.

I don't like his designs - if you're going to cut a woman's bodice down that low, have the guts to show her fricking areolae-- not to mention the tiny heads! - but I don't think he needs to apologise for them. They simply don't appeal to me. Gustav Klimt's paintings don't appeal to me either, but I don't expect him to apologise for them. I like Kamitani's use of colour and how he blends them, but the actual depictions? Not really. The archer is the only one I like.

However I AM glad that he apologised for the "hur hur, you must be gay" joke. That was stupid.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here