Refurbished 3DS Now Available From Nintendo's Official Store

Refurbished 3DS Now Available From Nintendo's Official Store

All DSi and 3DS purchases come with a one-year warranty, and can only be bought directly from Nintendo.

Taking a leaf out of Apple's book, which has been selling certified refurbished products for years, Nintendo has made a range of "Authentic Nintendo Refurbished Products" available on its official US online store. Several variants of the 3DS and DSi XL systems are available for purchase. They come with a 1 year warranty (the same warranty you'll get on a brand new system) and can only be purchased directly from Nintendo. A list of the systems available and their price is as follows:

• Aqua Blue Nintendo 3DS - $129.99
  • Aqua Blue Nintendo 3DS w/ The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - $169.98
  • Midnight Purple Nintendo 3DS - $129.99
  • Midnight Purple Nintendo 3DS w/ The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - $169.99
  • Metallic Rose Nintendo DSi XL - $99.99
  • Metallic Rose Nintendo DSi XL w/Mario Kart DS - $129.99
  • Midnight Blue Nintendo DSi XL - $99.99
  • Midnight Blue Nintendo DSi XL w/Mario Kart DS - $129.98

According to Nintendo, "Authentic Nintendo Refurbished Products are the only refurbished products in the market that have been cleaned, tested, and inspected to meet Nintendo's high standards." They are guaranteed to be fully functional, but may have minor cosmetic blemishes.

The current RRP for a brand new 3DS is $169.99, and the DSi XL retails for $129.99, meaning the refurbished systems will save you about $30. Many videogame outlets such as Gamestop already offer deals on used "refurbished" systems, but buying from Nintendo seems to offer you a bigger discount, the promise of a 1 year warranty, and a bigger assurance that the thing will actually work properly.

Source: Nintendo Online Store

So about all I really took away from this article is that the 3DS comes in purple.
So I looked online for a purple 3DS-XL and found this picture:

And now I'm sad that I can't have one...

Anyway: It's cool to see official DSi-XLs being sold at under $100, it's old hardware by now but there's an impressive library and that's a very good price.

That's pretty cool of Nintendo.

SoulSalmon:
So about all I really took away from this article is that the 3DS comes in purple.

I thought that was a regular 3DS. Though Zelda or not, I'd kill for a purple XL.

Damn, these are sweet deals even against eBay. I might actually consider buying one.

See the problem with this is that it requires me to do business with Nintendo, and I much prefer the smug satisfaction I can get from buying at GS and knowing that my money goes to a company that hasn't been flipping me the bird for the past two console generations. Besides I manged to get one of these: http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/consoles/3ds-system-black-gold-recharged-refurbished/107542 which is way nicer looking than anything on Nintendo's list.

major_chaos:
See the problem with this is that it requires me to do business with Nintendo, and I much prefer the smug satisfaction I can get from buying at GS and knowing that my money goes to a company that hasn't been flipping me the bird for the past two console generations. Besides I manged to get one of these: http://www.gamestop.com/nintendo-3ds/consoles/3ds-system-black-gold-recharged-refurbished/107542 which is way nicer looking than anything on Nintendo's list.

Uh, if Nintendo has been flipping you the bird the last two generations, why do you want to buy their consoles anyway?

oh god fucking damn it >.<

NOW they release a purple one, bastards ....

why couldn't they have done that sooner, like when I was getting mine >.<

Cool I guess.

If I ever get a 3DS I will most likely buy it this way. :)

Does anyone know if they do something like this in the UK? Or would you need to import? Because this is a pretty sweet offer, and was planning on buying a 3DS XL anyway soon, for the new Pokemon games.

That reminds me, I need to send my 3DS in to get refurbished... Damn L button has worn out and only responds intermittently.

UNF... DAT PURPLE 3DS D:<

That is actually a pretty nifty deal. I wonder if Nintendo of Europe will do something like this too and with the 3DS XL. I kinda want to upgrade but don't have the money right now (kinda saving up for the Wii U when it'll eventually get some games). A refurbished one that's a chunk cheaper would definitely tempt me.

SoulSalmon:

And now I'm sad that I can't have one...

Anyway: It's cool to see official DSi-XLs being sold at under $100, it's old hardware by now but there's an impressive library and that's a very good price.

oh yeah, the Majora's Mask photoshop... I know it's only a fantasy but it made me drool.
Still, who would still buy a DSi-XL when the entire DS library can be played on the 3DS anyway?

Zachary Amaranth:

I thought that was a regular 3DS. Though Zelda or not, I'd kill for a purple XL.

Well the pic in the article is a regular 3DS, the picture I posted was an XL. The XL has rounded edges and much softer corners.

I want that purple 3DS! D:< The colour actually reminded me a little of the original GBA and purple GBCs. Gah, if only I didn't already have one... /firstworldproblems

major_chaos:

Yeah, buy rather from a store that has been shitting on consumers for several years...

Steven Bogos:

major_chaos:

Uh, if Nintendo has been flipping you the bird the last two generations, why do you want to buy their consoles anyway?

Because his irrational hate for Nintendo prevents him from rationally thinking. Just read all his posts in any Nintendo thread. He even implies that Gamestop is better.
Anyways, OT:
I want that Midnight Purple so badly... it's the sexiest piece of hardware I've ever seen. Why do black and shiny purple go so well together? But I'm currently not in the financial situation to get one.

The 3DS is just such an ugly system. It's about as pleasing to the eye as salt water. Still though, their line-up of games is getting increasingly tempting. And it's a hundred bucks less than a Vita these days too...

Shipping to Canada?

I'd be a little worried about screen scratches. I don't care if it's got other blemishes, but screen scratches really fuck with me.

Wait a damn minute! When did Purple 3DS XLs become a thing? Damn it, I just shelled out for an XL, I had no idea I could get them in purple!

I'll wait for a cheaper 3DS XL and hopefully be able to save some money for it... if only for the version of Brawl that they're making for it and the new Pokemon.

Just after I got cheated by Gamestop getting a refurbished 3DS for my daughter... *sigh*

Lunar Templar:

You know what's worse? I heard about it quite a while ago (like, maybe a year or more ago), but I never found it...
Then it finally does show up, but wouldn't you know it? Only available in the US...
(And those things are region-locked, unlike the game boys... So...)

Damn it Nintendo! Why is the stuff I actually want never available in my country. XD

CrystalShadow:

Lunar Templar:

You know what's worse? I heard about it quite a while ago (like, maybe a year or more ago), but I never found it...
Then it finally does show up, but wouldn't you know it? Only available in the US...
(And those things are region-locked, unlike the game boys... So...)

Damn it Nintendo! Why is the stuff I actually want never available in my country. XD

o.0!!!

oh ... fuck you Walmart, you dirty bastards ... T-T

they only had black and one other undesirable color when i got mine T-T

TheKasp:
Snip

Never had a bad experience with GS, therefor I trust them. Frequently when I ask people to explain what is so bad about GS I either get no answer or something I disagree with immensely.

BiH-Kira:
Snip

Oh cool I have been around long enough to qualify for the haters club, do I get a shirt? Also gotta love how I "hate Nintendo" (I didn't used to, I would love to like them again, but they just keep pissing me off) and that I'm somehow "irrational" for it.

major_chaos:

You're free to order from wherever you like. I'm not some agent of morality who demands you buy all of your Nintendo stuff new or anything. But your method of demonstrating your dislike kind of seems to undermine itself.

Because of all of the wrong and terrible things Nintendo has done you've become bitter towards them. They are always doing things that upset you and you've gone out of your way to ensure that they didn't get any of your money. I'm not saying you should like them; you may have a very valid reason for not liking them. However, despite all of the wrong and all of the bad decisions their console is still worth owning. Despite all of their bad they've made enough good decisions to drive you to sacrifice money to own one of their systems. Whether or not Nintendo got that money is irrelevant; their products have worth to you even though you hold firm that you don't like what they produce.

I'd take your stance a bit more seriously if you outright boycotted Nintendo. But the fact that you still like them enough to own their system and play their games is essentially a contradiction to your own message.

On Topic:

I think it's a pretty smart business decision by Nintendo to embrace this. For a while places like Gamestop have been cutting console and game manufacturing companies out of the loop. This may force places like Gamestop to lower their prices even more in order to stay competitive. It actually works for Nintendo either way; either Nintendo begins to earn a cut of the used 3DS purchases, or their retailers stop earning quite as much from used game purchases, which will perhaps encourage them to try and sell new more often. It's a win win situation for Nintendo while Gamestop is surely unhappy about it. If the the other 2 of the big 3 decide to do something similar used game sellers might have a situation on their hands.

That purple 3DS looks pretty sexy. I wish the XL didn't just come in blue & red in NA (or does it?).

Lunar Templar:

Purple one's been out for a while. I think it came out around May. I've had mine since December.

major_chaos:

Wow, the levels of stupid/entitled/smug in this mentality are off the charts.

How exactly have they been "flipping you the bird"? Clearly it wasn't that bad since you're willing to actually get the system.

Mr. Omega:

Wow, the levels of stupid/entitled/smug in this mentality are off the charts.

I aim to impress.

How exactly have they been "flipping you the bird"?

Two generations of horrible gimmick based consoles with a very short list of worthwhile games, turning Metroid over to a totally mismatched dev who turned out a loathsome entry that is likely to stain the franchise reputation for some time, screwing over Rare by hijacking Dinosaur Planet and turning it into a starfox game, Reggie being a smug twat even by big 3 standards ect.

Clearly it wasn't that bad since you're willing to actually get the system.

My willingness do get a 3ds has nothing to do with Nintendo and everything to do with a short list of high quality 3rd party exclusives.

major_chaos:

TheKasp:
Snip

Never had a bad experience with GS, therefor I trust them. Frequently when I ask people to explain what is so bad about GS I either get no answer or something I disagree with immensely.

Well, took a while for me to respong but yeah... Timezones and stuph.

May I assume that your 'problems' with Nintendo (I won't call you a hater, I don't know your reasons for disliking Nintendo) are grounded in subjective, personal experience?

If yes: Those are the ground for my problems with GameStop as well. At least the two stores in my city. Every time I have to get in there (and there are some things where I just have to go in that store) I am nearly slamming my head against the wall when I see the prices and the attitude of the clerks. Yeah, the old song that it is overpriced but here those stores really are. The used games are as expensive as they are new in the giant electronics store across the street (with half a floor dedicated to gaming with employes just for this one area) and yet people go and buy the shit there.
On several occasions I got the feeling that the stores policy tried to create limited supply when there was none (again, comparison in how they handle preorders with the store across the goddamn street).

Now add to the above that I only own one console (my handheld) and am actually a dedicated PC gamer - the kind of audience GameStop just stopped catering to while driving stores out of the city that actually did keep catering to PC gamers.

TheKasp:

May I assume that your 'problems' with Nintendo (I won't call you a hater, I don't know your reasons for disliking Nintendo) are grounded in subjective, personal experience?

Yes they are, and I do suppose lots of this comes down to opinion.

the giant electronics store across the street (with half a floor dedicated to gaming with employes just for this one area)

This is quite possibly the biggest difference between us, as I have to drive an hour each way to find an electronics store that isn't GS or Bestbuy (lolworstbuy). On the other hand I also have never had issues with the clerks. I normally find the friendly and helpful sometimes even willing to converse if the store isn't busy, but a lot of that just comes down to luck.

a dedicated PC gamer - the kind of audience GameStop just stopped catering to while driving stores out of the city that actually did keep catering to PC gamers.

And of the common reasons to hate GS this is the one I really can't argue with. When PC games DRMed the used market out out the picture GS upper management seemed to throw a tantrum and just decided they would carry almost no PC games at all. They are working to reverse this a bit, as recently they started selling codes for select steam games (I currently have Blood Dragon on preorder for example)

I would like to get a handheld, but I find their price hard to justify when you can get media-players with much more memory for about the same cost.

3DS does have Fire Emblem and Rune Factory though.

Mcoffey:
The 3DS is just such an ugly system. It's about as pleasing to the eye as salt water. Still though, their line-up of games is getting increasingly tempting. And it's a hundred bucks less than a Vita these days too...

Not that I disagree, but would you say it's any uglier than the regular DS?

Lovely Mixture:
I would like to get a handheld, but I find their price hard to justify when you can get media-players with much more memory for about the same cost.

3DS does have Fire Emblem and Rune Factory though.

Mcoffey:

Not that I disagree, but would you say it's any uglier than the regular DS?

The original DS? No, but the DS Lite was a fine piece of tech. I can't speak for the other versions of the DS.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 49190)