Arkham Origins Replacing the Voice of Batman

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Meh, not the end of the world. They could always hire Bruce Greenwood; he was a pretty solid Batman on Young Justice.

IamLEAM1983:

TsunamiWombat:
Whoever did the atrocious Joker voice in Injustice was not DiMaggio.

Oh. Wrong I was, then. All I know is that his voice reminds me of one of the stock VAs in Skyrim. Y'know, the one who voiced Proventus Avenicci?

That's because it is the same actor. He also voiced Raiden in MK 2011. In case you already couldn't take him seriously as the Joker heh.

My first thought was an immediate rage, but the reasoning makes sense after a minute of thinking about it. They need a younger guy to play Batman, and Kevin Conroy probably sounded a bit to close to his normal batman voice. Not to say that he probably couldn't pull it off, but hey, what's done is done. I know its natural to just rage at this kind of news, but we should probably wait to we see a trailer or something and hear the new voice.

The only problem would be finding someone to voice him. The only other Batman that I liked was the guy who voiced him in Young Justice and Under the Red Hood, but he still sounds a bit old.

Trishbot:

Unless it turns out the new voice actor is Will Friedle and it's all an elaborate prequel to Batman Beyond...

I think it would damn hilarious if he voiced Batman considering his character in the DC Animated Universe.

Although...a Batman Beyond game in the same way as the last to Arkham games sounds really good now that I think about it. I-I think I would enjoy that a lot actually. Ooh.... =O

Edit:

Chester Rabbit:

IamLEAM1983:

TsunamiWombat:
Whoever did the atrocious Joker voice in Injustice was not DiMaggio.

Oh. Wrong I was, then. All I know is that his voice reminds me of one of the stock VAs in Skyrim. Y'know, the one who voiced Proventus Avenicci?

That's because it is the same actor. He also voiced Raiden in MK 2011. In case you already couldn't take him seriously as the Joker heh.

I believe it was Richard Epcar. He's done a bunch of voice work over the years like Ghost in the Shell, Bobobo-bo bobo-bo, Digimon, Kingdom Hearts, etc. Definitely weird to hear him in Injustice, since that style of role isn't what he usually gets, but I kinda enjoyed it.

This game is getting less and less attractive as time goes on. If they ditched the 'Arkham' part of the title I wouldn't mind as much, but it seems like a blatant cash-in on a popular series but with a whole lot of cutting corners to save on the budget a decent game would require. Is it even about the origin of Arkham asylum? From all the press it sounds like it's about the origins/early years of Batman.

Xathos:
Although...a Batman Beyond game in the same way as the last to Arkham games sounds really good now that I think about it. I-I think I would enjoy that a lot actually. Ooh.... =O

Imagine it! Imagine luring Inque to the water, or facing Shriek in Old Gotham, or the final showdown with Blight...And the Iron Man-like flying! I want my Arkham Beyond!

OT: I'll still buy it because Black Mask is in it and I really want him to get some screen time. I love Black Mask.

The lack of Rocksteady and Paul Dini already had me feeling kind of 'meh' towards this game. I'm not gonna flip tables and shout "worst thing evar!" but my interest at this point really doesn't even register on my "care-o-matic". I still might be interested in the Metroidvania style game they've got coming out on the Vita though.

StewShearer:
That wouldn't be too bad. Maybe they could get Bryan Cranston to be Gordon as well. :)

This should be top priority. Cranston playing Gordon is paramount over whoever plays batman.

knight steel:
So no Mark hamill for the voice of joker and now no Kevin Conroy for Batman:
People are not going to like this-not one little bit [hides in bunker to avoid rage]

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW HEEEEELLLLLLLLLL.....
"Hey guys lets make a Batman game without the main people who have spent DECADES playing the parts!! It should be fine if we put Arkham in the name!!! Gamers are dumb enough to fall for that right?""

This is just filled with so much fail. I foresee this selling like ET. Just going to have to bury it in the sand in Arizona.

No Hamil + No Conroy = No Purchase

For me that is a solid equation.

As is

Not Conroy ≠ Batman

On a related note, am I the only one who thought the Nolan movies would've been better if they'd had Conroy dub Batman's lines instead of having Bale do his best "growling man" impression?

So, they're taking a bestselling and critically-acclaimed franchise, and turning it over to a different developer who will add Multiplayer to a game that never really needed it.

Elsewhere, Ken Levine shivers and he doesn't know why.

Seriously, I'm usually the first to tell fanboys to cool off and wait till the game comes out (hell, I was excited for the 2008 Prince of Persia), but here I have a really bad feeling about this one.

Am I the only one wondering what;s actually linking this game to the Arkham series anymore? Does this game even have anything to do with Arkham asylum at least?

I am super super SUPER worried for Arkham: Origins. Mainly because the Arkham series is my favorite series and Rocksteady not developing the new one has put me on edge. Not having Conroy is understandable as its set several years before Asylum and I guess they wanted someone younger. But there's talk about multiplayer and tie in DS games and I'm worried its gonna become another ME3, (a cash-grabbing marketing campaign to accompany a lackluster game.)

So? Batman's dialog is possibly the most insignificant part of these games. Not to mention how east it is to fake a half-whisperey emotionless Batman voice. Hamill sucks a lot more, but it's highly understandable. All he is to anyone is Luke and The Joker, maybe even moreso The Joker now.

slash2x:

knight steel:
People are not going to like this-not one little bit [hides in bunker to avoid rage]

"Hey guys lets make a Batman game without the main people who have spent DECADES playing the parts!! It should be fine if we put Arkham in the name!!! Gamers are dumb enough to fall for that right?""

This is just filled with so much fail. I foresee this selling like ET. Just going to have to bury it in the sand in Arizona.

To be fair, we all know it is, in fact, going to sell out the ass.

It's disappointing to see that they're not pursuing Conroy for this. However, it's a lot more disappointing to see all the people here hating on this game already when we have yet to see a trailer or gameplay footage. Give it a chance, people.

You know the most awesome thing about young Batman? No fuckin' Robin. No chance of Robin at all. It's instantly a huge plus in my book.

That's it. I was already suspecting misconduct when I learned that Rocksteady wasn't developing this game, but that I just heard Kevin Conroy isn't going to be voice of Bats...I simply can't. I can't! It broke my heart to hear Mark Hammil wasn't going to voice Joker anymore, but I simply can't take this anymore. Now if you excuse me, I'm going to watch Batman the Animated Series.

The_Darkness:
So... Not a sequel to all the plot threads in Arkham City, but instead a prequel. No Hamill. No Conroy. Not made by RockSteady...

Warner Bros, remind me why I want to buy this game? Because I think I'm losing track...

Don't forget the multiplayer that was announced to be apart of the game. Everything is falling apart.

SycoMantis91:

slash2x:

knight steel:

To be fair, we all know it is, in fact, going to sell out the ass.

Like this WONDERFUL and AMAZING game did? Yeah you will get the people out the door but how many will not be happy when they realize the only thing in common with the prior games is the name? It will have to be one HELL of a game to overcome taking THE voice of batman away....

Captcha Cold Feet.... yes captcha there will be no preorders from me.

The Batman Voice in my head is Adam West, so the rest of you punks can just get off my lawn.

That said, a younger Batman voice? Stephen Amell would be my first choice, although with him doing the voice of Arrow in Injustice, perhaps that wouldn't work out so well.

I think the series should have gone "Batman: Beyond Arkham" and picked up where City left off. That said, I'm not a game Dev or Publisher, so what do I know?

Adam Jensen:
You know the most awesome thing about young Batman? No fuckin' Robin. No chance of Robin at all. It's instantly a huge plus in my book.

^win.

OT: I'm not particularly arsed, not a huge batman fan, i like the films, and i like the Arkham games, that's pretty much it for me and batman, but i can see why they want someone younger, kinda makes sense...Multiplayer i'm not bothered about unless they can pull it off (like a 3rd person thug war kinda thing, that could work, say Penguins thugs vs Two Face's thugs, actually that sounds pretty damn awesome)

I'm just worried about how young they are going...

Honestly, I would not be surprised if they aren't officially casting Kevin Conroy as Batman just so that later on they can have him re-do the lines and put a voice pack out as paid DLC. I can actually see that happening.

I think this is a really dumb idea that Warner Bros. Games is doing. I understand that Batman will be younger in Arkham Origins but I am pretty sure Kevin Conroy can pull off a younger sounding Batman since he did that in Mask of The Phantasm.

Even if he can't exactly do a younger Batman I am pretty sure fans would not care so long as Kevin Conroy voices Batman.

The Hero Killer:
Kevin Conroy voiced "a younger, brasher" version of Batman just fine on Mask of the Phantasm. He can do it here.

Perhaps a taste of Crispin Freeman would be in order? He can do it.

(Chose you since your avatar was voiced by Freeman, for reference)

Stephen Russel (Garret from the Thief franchise), Mark Hamill (Joker) and now Kevin Conroy (Batman)?

Why are you doing this to me world? Why?!?

Now I do understand that they want a younger batman, I still cannot fathom why they would replace such an iconic voice. That goes for the rest that have been replaced.

Irridium:
The hell is it with developers getting rid of the original voice actors? I mean, come on, really?

Not as bad a reason as Theif 4's, getting rid of Russel because they need someone who can do their own stunts so they can capture it all at once. WHY?! It's a first person stealth game! Why the hell do you need to have such advanced mo-cap and facial capture stuff?!?! The new Garrott even wears a freaking [/i]face mask[/i] for fuck's sake!!

Anyway, yeah. Developers ditching the original voice actors makes me sad.

Deep breath, Irridium, deep breath.

They aren't getting rid of the guy, he is just tired of doing the SAME role, over and over again. Conroy had said in many interviews that he wanted to stop being Batman all the time. Mark Hamill said the same thing about being the Joker.

The Thief game is already shaky as it is, and their reason to not get Russel is kinda silly, like what they are doing with Splinter Cell, but I get it. Gamers keep crying out for realism, but can you imagine Michael Ironside doing all the Sam Fisher-esque moves?

Give the new people a chance, before you go all religious 'end of videogames' nuts on us okay?

Thanks

DataSnake:
Different Developer
Shoehorned-in Multiplayer
No Mark Hamill
No Kevin Conroy

You don't need to be the world's greatest detective to predict that this game won't be on the same level as its predecessors.

EDIT: though, if they're sticking with the "Silver Age" theme, they could always get Adam West to voice Batman

In that case they could also add the Batusi somewhere in there if that's how they're going with it. But yeah, I didn't really like Arkham City all that much but this one is sounding worse and worse after each info update.

VoidWanderer:

Irridium:
snip

Deep breath, Irridium, deep breath.

They aren't getting rid of the guy, he is just tired of doing the SAME role, over and over again. Conroy had said in many interviews that he wanted to stop being Batman all the time. Mark Hamill said the same thing about being the Joker.

The Thief game is already shaky as it is, and their reason to not get Russel is kinda silly, like what they are doing with Splinter Cell, but I get it. Gamers keep crying out for realism, but can you imagine Michael Ironside doing all the Sam Fisher-esque moves?

Give the new people a chance, before you go all religious 'end of videogames' nuts on us okay?

Thanks

The thing I just can't get a hold of is WHY do they need the guy that does the voice to do the mo-cap? I mean it's not like you can't get another guy to do the moves while the voice actor does... well, the voice.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

So right quick let's go over the list:

1) New development studio
2) Multiplayer
3) No Paul Dini
4) No Mark Hamil
5) No Kevin Conroy

That moment when you realize the next Batman game may return to that ever so proud tradition of being shit, just like all the rest before Arkham.

DVS BSTrD:
If it's Nolan North, many tables will be flipped.

Here here!

OT: Speaking as someone who liked Christan Bale as Batman. I Don't mind it not being Kevin Conroy (even though he IS the best Batman)

I'm just spitbaling here but I think Jackie Earle Haley would do a good job.

Also, please tell me that I'm not the only person who wants John de Lancie to be the new Joker.

Why not Diedrich Bader? Ignoring for the moment the obviously more lighthearted nature of Brave and the Bold he still did a good job in the role. He brought a solid heroic and iconic sound to the character while still sounding like something I would expect a younger Batman.

Couldn't care less. If he was good in the role at some point, it doesn't show in either Arkham game.

CriticalMiss:
This game is getting less and less attractive as time goes on. If they ditched the 'Arkham' part of the title I wouldn't mind as much, but it seems like a blatant cash-in on a popular series but with a whole lot of cutting corners to save on the budget a decent game would require. Is it even about the origin of Arkham asylum? From all the press it sounds like it's about the origins/early years of Batman.

That's what I was thinking.

WB is thinking they will end on a trilogy (like other games) and so they want to maximize profit which means decrease output but use the name recognition of Batman: Arkham _________. So they take out the writers, the actors, and the programmers, add in multiplayer (maybe an online pass), and voila. Instant profit. Or so they hope.

knight steel:

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

News Bits About The Game:
1: Not going to be a sequel, but rather a prequel.
Considering all the story lines that were set up (particularly the hidden Scarecrow one if you're good at decoding those seemingly random numbers you can find being transmitted on the radio), I'd imagine a lot of people - well, myself at least - were hoping for a sequel, not a prequel.

2: Rocksteady's not making the game.
Well...they ARE working on another project at the moment, so fair enough. Maybe that's why we're getting a prequel in the first place. Perhaps the 4th game will the the long-await sequel to Arkham City with Rocksteady back at the helm.

3: There's going to be multiplayer.
Wait...what? Given the combat mechanics of the first two games.....how the hell could you pull off a multiplayer? Co-op, perhaps, but according to the article that told us about multiplayer, there's going to be a form of versus. So yet another traditionally single-player game is having multiplayer tacked onto it.......

And now, 4: No Kevin Conroy to voice the B-Man.
To be fair, it IS supposed to be a younger Batman...but once you reach a certain age your voice doesn't really change that much. I can see where they're going with it and it's a "well...it kinda makes sense, fair enough" type of situation. Still, considering points 1, 2, and 3...this just looks like another black mark on the preliminary report-card for this game.

I really...REALLY hope that they don't manage to screw this game up considering how great the first two were, that would be a huge disappointment. The greatness of the first two games is what keeps me from going full-blown pessimistic about this game, but just from an initial impression of the news I've heard so far....eeehhhhhhhhh........

While I do hear Kevin Conroy whenever I read any batman dialogue, I can't say that they HAVE to have him as batman. I mean, that's ludicrous. Batman was first introduced in May 1939. Kevin Conroy was born in November, 1955. Does this mean that for 16 years, Batman was a mute, and communicated through Sign Language and a pad and pencil?

While I do think that Conroy does it the best, characters are made to have different actors step into the role. Actors originated with Plays. On any given night, there are hundreds of people portraying Hamlet, the prince of Denmark, on stage. Why then does Batman have to be done only by one?

I'd also like to suggest that the voice actor isn't as important as the dialog writer. Kevin Conroy is Batman, Adam West is Batman, and Christian Bale is Batman. But they each have a different style of dialog, because they're all separate batmen. As long as the things that this Arkham Batman says remain things that the previous Arkham Batman has said, we can adapt to a new voice actor. As long as he's trying to voice the same Batman. Did that get a little loopy there? I may have said Batman two dozen times...

As far as everyone saying that they can't buy the game if Conroy isn't Batman... that's your choice, but it's a bit baby-tantrummy, in my estimation. You're getting a new game in a series that you admit that you enjoy. Why shoot yourself in the foot because of an UNKNOWN VOICE ACTOR. You're not certain you're getting one that's terrible. You don't even know that they won't find someone who's BETTER for a younger Batman. I admit that's a hella long shot... but so what?

LOTS of people freaking out that Rocksteady isn't making the game... but not taking into account that Rocksteady was a relative unknown when they made Arkham Asylum. Also, having read interviews with the new guys, they're pretty firmly saying that they're not going to monkey around with things that the previous series entries have done perfectly. And the other things I've read sound pretty nifty. Wait for the game to come out before you all rage and scream and tear your shirts and shit your pants.

And yes, Bryan Cranston was the best Comissioner Gordon ever. After one direct to DVD animated movie, he's become just as Gordon in my mind as Conroy is Batman. I think the only solution is to demand that after Arkham Origins we get a co-op game starring the both of them. Mull it over.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here