Mark Hamill Hopes Episode VII Will "Balance" CGI

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mark Hamill Hopes Episode VII Will "Balance" CGI

Mark Hamill Stormtrooper Disguise

Appearing at a 30th anniversary screening of Return of the Jedi, Mark Hamill commented on Disney's new Star Wars trilogy.

The lives of Star Wars fans changed irrevocably last year when Disney purchased Lucasfilm and announced a slew of new developments for the franchise, including a new film trilogy slated to begin in 2015. Director J.J. Abrams has since signed on to the project as well as Academy Award winning writer Michael Arndt. Various reports have also said that cast members of the original trilogy would be returning to reprise their roles.

While Disney has yet to officially announce the return of original series cast members, the actors, along with series creator-George Lucas, have done a pretty good job of it themselves. Most recently, Mark Hamill, appearing at a 30th anniversary screening of Return of the Jedi, commented on the new film and his role in it. "I don't even think I believed that the third trilogy would feature us. I thought it would be all different characters," said Hamill. "It wasn't even on the radar for me, at all. And I had sort of settled into my elderly recluse phase of my career."

Hamill also discussed his hope to see the new films re-embrace some of the practical effects used to make the original trilogy. "I've only had one creative meeting about the new films, but I do remember saying, 'We've got to find a proper balance between CGI and old school [FX]." The three prequel films were frequently criticized for their heavy use of CGI, something Hamill wants to avoid. "I think there's nothing wrong with CGI, but I think you have to have a balance, because the camera perceives the width and the depth and the weight - even if it's a miniature model, the camera just realizes that."

Source: IGN

I second that. Films rely on CGI way too much sometimes (the rumours of an all CGI Labyrinth reboot actually made me weep). This is why I love Del Toro!

Spoken like a true jedi.

The sense is strong in this one.

He is the chosen one. The one that would come to bring balance to the CGI.

May the anamatronics be with you.

"So the prophecy says, I don't trust them"
I wonder if this time the main character will be an alien instead of a human. that would be nice.

Caffeine_Bombed:
I second that. Films rely on CGI way too much sometimes (the rumours of an all CGI Labyrinth reboot actually made me weep). This is why I love Del Toro!

I wish he had been assigned to direct it.

I agree with the man. There are a lot of movies nowadays that rely on CGI or overuse it. I love the thought of reusing the special effects from the original trilogy, it would be a great touch.

Captcha: DANISH ROBOT DANCERS, Um, er, wha?!

I so hope Abrams listens to Hamil on this, a Star Wars movie in my lifetime that doesn't suck balls would be awesome.

Abrams, if you can't take the advice of Luke Skywalker regarding Star Wars' direction, you have no hope. Listen to the man. He will bring balance to the trilogies.

But..........but.......will it have JAR JAR BINKS?
He's the best character if they don't have him the entire movie will fail!!!
If you make a Star wars movie you have to have his seal of aprroval

Otherwise I'm not seeing it T_T
Just look at his dynamic acting and emotion :D

He has to be apart of the new trilogy he could even be the main character ^_^

One thing we know for sure, since JJ is directing ep.VII is going to have a metric fuckton of lens flares.

I really hope they listen to Mark, the overly large use of CGI didn't help the prequels and it'd be silly to make the same mistake twice.

I think it will be fine in JJ's hands, look at the first Star Trek movie he made. The cgi was good and was used well. Plus the overall acting and how he moved the camera made the film fun and interesting to watch. Where as the shots in SW1 - 3 were so slow, boring and static that you couldnt help but look at the background to much.

It should be really easy for him, just think of the millions of comments that have been left pointing out all the flaws and negative issues of the prequels. Or he could just watch the red letter media reviews. Either way i think we will get a great Star Wars film series with great characters, great actors and great cgi/fx and direction.

My CAPTURE said Phila Delphia (could this be a star wars character? ;-)

Hawkeye21:
One thing we know for sure, since JJ is directing ep.VII is going to have a metric fuckton of lens flares.

If it turns out to be a good movie, he can use all the lens flares he wants. :)

I hope to god that Abrams takes Hamill's advice, but as well that Arndt writes something great that is not "nostalgia driven", but still speaks to the fans. The prequel trilogy shoved all sorts of "fanboy" moments into it that didn't really have any point to be in there, and yet the movies themselves did not feel they were part of the star wars universe. They made movies that shoved a bunch of "new stuff" into it when they could, and did not draw back to the originals when they should have. Not only that, it failed to create a coherent plot that could grab the audience.

Sigh, I just hope that Lucas selling to Disney ends with a happy ending...

Mark brings up a valid point, though it will be interesting to see what Disney will do with a Luke Skywalker in his early 60s.

Caffeine_Bombed:

... but wouldn't an all CGI film just be an animated film? lol.

I'm excited but also worried about the films. I'm afraid they'll go after the "lowest common denominator" in terms of plot and action to please all the fans, instead of doing something edgy, or at least attempting to create the next "evolution" of star wars.

But we shall see.

Wise, this Jedi is.

"We've got to find a proper balance between CGI and old school [FX]."

"I think there's nothing wrong with CGI, but I think you have to have a balance..."

Thank you! Praise Mark Hamill for saying this (even though it should be obvious) but it just can't be stated enough! I'd recommend the creators of the new Star Wars trilogy look to the Lord of the Rings trilogy to see a perfect balance between live-action and CGI.

Well said, Mark Hamill, and thank you.

If there is anything that yanks me out of a good movie experience, its massive uses of CGI in areas where practical effects can do the job. This is why I've never gotten on board with Avatar. I understand that its using cutting edge technology to render facial animations of actual actors but the movie as a whole feels like a video game instead of a movie imo. If there was ever a need for the people behind Episode VII to take advice from someone, they should definitely listen to Luke F-in' Skywalker.

"Career"

Good one Mark.

Still, he's right, practical effects are better, just look at Christopher Nolan's work- the corridor scene in Inception and Bane crashing the plane in Rises look fantastic, although obviously for a film like Star Wars CGI is going to be a bit more in need.

Now all I need his him putting on a brown robe, waving his hand and saying 'This is the movie you are looking for' and I will collapse into nerdgasm catatonia.

The CGI in Iron Man was totally fail right?

It's not the technology, it's how it's used.

It's like blaming the use of oil paints when a painting comes out liking like crap.

It's a pity you couldn't convince George Lucas of your wisdom before he went and made the prequels, Mister J Mr. Hamill.

deadish:
The CGI in Iron Man was totally fail right?

It's not the technology, it's how it's used.

It's like blaming the use of oil paints when a painting comes out liking like crap.

ok... now go read the article and thread and youl see eveyrone is saying what you are

Mr. Q:
Well said, Mark Hamill, and thank you.

If there is anything that yanks me out of a good movie experience, its massive uses of CGI in areas where practical effects can do the job. This is why I've never gotten on board with Avatar. I understand that its using cutting edge technology to render facial animations of actual actors but the movie as a whole feels like a video game instead of a movie imo. If there was ever a need for the people behind Episode VII to take advice from someone, they should definitely listen to Luke F-in' Skywalker.

It's fantastic when even video game enthusiasts complain of movies looking like video games.

No sarcasm!

If JJ listens to him, then this movie then this movie just may end up being better then the prequels.

Oh what am I saying, there's no way this is going to be worse than the prequels, especially because Lucas isn't involved. At this point, the Star Wars franchise has nowhere to go but up.

TheRightToArmBears:
"Career"

Good one Mark.

I don't know. Have you enjoyed 20+ years worth of successful voice acting?

Plus hundreds of smaller single episode characters in various shows.

Product Placement:

I don't know. Have you enjoyed 20+ years worth of successful voice acting?

I assume you wouldn't believe me if I said yes?

Two words: Weta Workshop. Those guys know what balance is between prosthetics, CGI, miniature, animatronics, map paintings, and more. Just take a hint from them!

Here is hoping the big dogs listen to the last of the Jedi :)

Also just gotta add to the JJhaters Lensefare vs ep 1-3? I can lvie with good films with some lensefare over Binks, 'yonuglings' and dead emotional romances(Fringe and even star trek at least has emotional human interaction dare i say alot in Fringe - i loved that show) not to mention a thousand other sins...

Thank you Mr. Hamill.

He said what needed to be said and he was one of the guys who needed to say it. Bravo Mr. Hamill. I'm with you 100%.

Wisdom in your words I find, Mr. Hamill. Respect for you, I have.

*drinks a gentlemanly cup of tea*

Product Placement:

*spits tea back out*

Holy SHIT, Mark played Firelord Ozai and Captain Stickybeard? HOW THE HELL DID I NOT KNOW THAT?!? Jesus Christ, I can't even tell from his voice the slightest.

TheRightToArmBears:
"Career"

Good one Mark.

Still, he's right, practical effects are better, just look at Christopher Nolan's work- the corridor scene in Inception and Bane crashing the plane in Rises look fantastic, although obviously for a film like Star Wars CGI is going to be a bit more in need.

uhm..

have you not seen his resume?

seriously, some of the best voice acting around. i could listen to him all day in his joker voice.

OT: glad to hear this, definitely intrigued about the movies either way, hope disney handles it right!

gmaverick019:

uhm..

have you not seen his resume?

'twas a joke, I'm aware of his voice acting.

I mean, voice acting's all well and good, but the guy starred in one of the biggest movie franchises of all time. You would sort of expect a long and distinguished acting career, no?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here