Oculus Rift Headset Simulates Beheadings

Oculus Rift Headset Simulates Beheadings

Disunion, the virtual reality guillotine simulator, may well be the most creatively creepy use of the Oculus Rift VR headset yet conceived.

Boy, is there anything that says "good times ahead" like the guillotine, that towering, bloody symbol of the French Revolution? Of course there is, but that didn't keep a team at the Exile Game Jam in Denmark from making an Oculus Rift-powered decapitation simulator called Disunion, and I have to admit that I have a very powerful and perverse desire to try this thing out myself.

The concept is simple: Slap on the headset, kneel down and place your head in the virtual guillotine, enjoy the scenery for a moment or two, and then ka-blam - the blade falls and the head rolls. All the requisite elements for a good old-fashioned beheading are present, including the executioner, a crowd of gawkers and the basket, and you can even look up at the blade and watch it come slamming down.

It's not really a game but the reactions of the participants speak for themselves. I especially like the idea of chopping someone across the back of the neck - gently, of course - when the blade comes down, for that extra layer of immersion. It is undoubtedly creepy, but until science figures out how to quickly and conveniently re-attach severed heads, it's probably as close as we're going to come to experiencing the real thrill of being executed in front of a braying 19th-century mob. And come on, who wouldn't want to try that?

Source: Unicorn7

Yeah, that's just plain creepy. Thank the gods it doesn't come with a full bodied sensory perception suit or something. That would probably cause real deaths.

Captcha: "caesar salad". Uh-huh.

People are going to lose their heads over this one...

...And if it doesn't sell very well, there's no doubt that heads will roll.

Dr.Awkward:

Indeed. After this little experiment, what lies ahead for Oculus Rift is questionable.

Hopefully, they can keep their head in the game.

I'm surprised this was made...

Well, not really. I'm more surprised that this was made BEFORE an oculus rift sex simulator.

It seems fitting that they would combine gaming with guillotines.
After all, Marie Antoinette's cake was a lie to.

XMark:
I'm surprised this was made...

Well, not really. I'm more surprised that this was made BEFORE an oculus rift sex simulator.

Talk about giving head!

*quickly glances over the past commments, laughs and goes away*

OT: This is way too amusing...Then again , the dudes probably felt some very real motion sickness afterwards, so i don't see how this could be anything more than just a creepy experiment.

I imagine this could cause some serious Phantom Limb Pain for some people, but vice versa. Forcing a mind-body disconnect gives me the heebee jeebees.

Seems they are definitely ahead of the curve of this one.

Can we expect more than a vertical slice of gameplay with this later on?

Puns aside, has anyone actually come up with some good ideas for this thing?

Someone call HBO. We need a Game of Thrones version of this.

My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials.

Can you say the same?

These guys need a pat on the head for brilliant execution.

Scrythe:
My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials.

Can you say the same?

Err...yea, we can actually...
Now shut up and die Nord :P

So um, I have vision in both my eyes, but can't see 3D as I use one at a time....will this work for me or not?

Oh boy. I wouldn't be surprised if this could induce panic attacks.

EHKOS:
So um, I have vision in both my eyes, but can't see 3D as I use one at a time....will this work for me or not?

Does that mean you don't have any depth perception? If that's the case, then no 3D for you.

Product Placement:
Oh boy. I wouldn't be surprised if this could induce panic attacks.

EHKOS:

Does that mean you don't have any depth perception? If that's the case, then no 3D for you.

Not sure, I can't see any 3D effects on my 3DS, but in the real world I do have depth perception. It's not great, but I do have it.

Me (a week ago): "Man, I wonder what cool things we'll do with the Oculus Rift?"

Today: I see this.

hazabaza1:

Well there's, you know, actually playing games. But if that's not what you're looking for...then not really.There was that treadmill, but everyone with a brain crucified that. Then again, it would be cool in arcades.

I'm think something really good that you can actual use at home, would be something that addresses the fact that "hey, this thing is supposed to be your head on someone else's shoulder." Though aside from you know, just playing a game, I'm not sure what that is.

The two most basic yet perhaps most important parts about gaming are this: Experience and Interactivity.

From gunning down enemy troops to rejecting immigration to a fictional European country. From talking to alien species and learning about them to talking with friends in a game and frantically screaming as you realize you're all about to get mortared to death.

A cool way to turn this simulator into an actual game, might be to have players try and plead for their lives. (Yeah, not the most "bombastic" game, but eh)

Jove:

Dr.Awkward:

Indeed. After this little experiment, what lies ahead for Oculus Rift is questionable.

Hopefully, they can keep their head in the game.

Aye, and let us all hope that the devs can keep their heads out of the clouds... and arses. Maybe this will open up some new game mechanics where you actually have to use your *drumroll* head.

Captcha: marry me
Wow, wow slow down! At least buy me a coffee first.

I had the opportunity to try out the Oculus Rift VR headset last year when the creator stopped by the gaming studio where I worked.

During the demonstration I was simply flying around a game environment in camera mode. At one point I accidentally got stuck halfway in the floor.

The cognitive dissonance of being virtually stuck in a floor actually MADE ME NAUSEOUS!!!!

Actually I played a game on those old Lawnmower Man style VR systems and when you got killed in that your head when spiraling off your body. It was kind of cool.

I was going to go ahead and chastise everyone for the bad puns, but I really don't mind at all.

hazabaza1:

Well if you think about it, this could be put in a game as a bad end. Fail badly enough and have to witness your own execution.

And now I've got the rhyme stuck in my head. Here comes a candle to light you to bed, and here comes a chopper to chop off your head. Chop. Chop. Chop.

Okay , now can we thrn our head and see the blade coming ? Holy shit that's what i'd call a horror game .

Definately need a SAW game on this thing.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here