Scientists Create Extra-Long Life Beer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Scientists Create Extra-Long Life Beer

beer

Ancient barley helps scientists create ancient beer.

Science may not have delivered on some of its promises; Flying cars, jet packs, immortality, etc; but it has done the next best thing - It's given us extra-long life beer.

Researchers at Australia's University of Adelaide have cultivated a new type of barley which, thanks to a genetic defect, will keep beer fresher for longer. Essentially, the barley used in traditional beer brewing contains an enzyme by the name of "lipoxygenase." The enzyme helps produce several substances, including "trans-2-nonenal," which is what gives old beer that "moldy" taste and old-man's-armpit smell if its left for too long. What Doctor Jason Eglington, of the university's School of Agriculture, discovered, is that some ancient strains of barley come with a defective version of the enzyme. With a little bit of selective breeding, the university's researchers have produced a new strain of barley that lacks working lipoxygenase and is perfectly suitable for brewing. Science, ladies and gentlemen.

The Japanese beer barons at Sapporo have already shown an interest in the new barley, dubbed "Southern Star," and are apparently looking to acquire the first crop.

Now, what any self-respecting ale-head will tell you is that strong beers already age very well. This new barley is really only relevant to the flavorless goat pee that makes up the vast majority of successful canned beers. To wit; This new barley probably won't make Foster's taste any better, but at least it can't make it any worse.

Source: The Register

We're one step closer to the Fizzy lifting Drink. Willy Wonka's dream will become a reality soon...

(Can't find Gif of the scene, so I'll post this gif instead)

Ah science, you always know how to make my day feel better. Especially since I've got finals all this week and on the weekend...>.>
Wait...I can't drink! >.<

Trust Aussies to come up with a way to keep our beer fresh, its all alot of us ever drink :-)

Now if only beer didn't taste awful anyway.

Also, you forgot a letter in the "lipoxygenase" at the end of the big paragraph. But it can happen, it's a complex word.

RicoADF:
Trust Aussies to come up with a way to keep our beer fresh, its all alot of us ever drink :-)

It was always going to be you or the Irish.

Quaxar:
Now if only beer didn't taste awful anyway.

Also, you forgot a letter in the "lipoxygenase" at the end of the big paragraph. But it can happen, it's a complex word.

beer tastes like victory, heaven and dreams.

Beer does not last long around me so all this science may be wasted.

Grey Carter:
Now, what any self-respecting ale-head will tell you is that strong beers already age very well. This new barley is really only relevant to the flavorless goat pee that makes up the vast majority of successful canned beers. To wit; This new barley probably won't make Foster's taste any better, but at least it can't make it any worse.

Are you trying to tell me that people actually drink Fosters?

Right before the last bit I was wondering if it will make Budweiser taste better, but I guess not.

So it will just make 3-2 piss beer just last longer, and I find that rather sad.

Science you have failed me. :(

Shamanic Rhythm:

Grey Carter:

Not "people" per-se. Australians.

Evil Smurf:

I just came here to say that. Seems like my work has been done for me.

So, if anyone needs me, I`ll be at the bar... Bye.

I'm not really a big fan of beer, but I am a fan of things that make other people happy. So for that, I say that I am glad that this happened. And to top that off.

Mr.Mattress:
We're one step closer to the Fizzy lifting Drink. Willy Wonka's dream will become a reality soon...

(Can't find Gif of the scene, so I'll post this gif instead)

As someone who is currently drunk, let me be the first to say how annoying an animated gif with an animation that subtle can be :P

OT: Cool science, and not at all surprising that Sapporo is interested. They're kind of like the Japanese Anheuser-Busch.

They've yet to produce the Holy Grail, but they've certainly found something to fill it with.

I thought the thread said "Scientists create Extra long Life Bear" and I was gonna say "oh gods, no!" and post pictures of angry bears.

So instead, I'm going to post a picture of bearodactyl.

Bearodactyl also has Extra Long Life.

Bara_no_Hime:
I thought the thread said "Scientists create Extra long Life Bear" and I was gonna say "oh gods, no!" and post pictures of angry bears.

I wonder how much beer I'd have to drink before that looked attractive.

Grey Carter:

Shamanic Rhythm:

Grey Carter:

You won't find any Foster's here, mate. We export that shit because we refuse to drink it yet Americans pay top dollar for it because it's Australian and Beer at the same time.

Toohey's and VB are what you want to be drinking if you want good Aussie beer.

DVS BSTrD:

Bara_no_Hime:

You would prob pass out long before then. Or wish you had.

OT: It's about time science did something for the human race. :P

DVS BSTrD:

Is this better?

I was tempted to go with this one in the first place, but there was just something so wonderfully absurd about the first one.

Ah, the Oatmeal.

... which you can also use to make beer. See, I'm On Topic. ^^

Bara_no_Hime:

DVS BSTrD:

Is this better?

I was tempted to go with this one in the first place, but there was just something so wonderfully absurd about the first one.

Ah, the Oatmeal.

That IS a lot sexier, but the first one doesn't look like a bad photoshop.

DVS BSTrD:

Bara_no_Hime:

DVS BSTrD:

Is this better?

Ah, the Oatmeal.

That IS a lot sexier, but the first one doesn't look like a bad photoshop.

What do you MEAN "bad" photoshop? BAD? It even has drop shadow shit going on in that. Thats some serious pro level shoopin

A necessary step towards colonizing other planets.

Aged goat's urine is still goat's urine. Enzyme or no enzyme.

VanQ:

Grey Carter:

Shamanic Rhythm:

You won't find any Foster's here, mate. We export that shit because we refuse to drink it yet Americans pay top dollar for it because it's Australian and Beer at the same time.

I don't drink beer but my mates do and sometimes they drink Fosters
Basically depends what's cheapest at the moment

Finland reporting in :P

Big_Boss_Mantis:

Evil Smurf:

I just came here to say that. Seems like my work has been done for me.

So, if anyone needs me, I`ll be at the bar... Bye.

Damnit, double ninja'ed

Paradoxrifts:

Well if you drink goat's urine because you thought it was beer, I can understand why you don't like beer.

Yaay, now idiots can get drunk for longer on less money! That's just wonderful. I'm so glad this is a thing.

Scarecrow:
Yaay, now idiots can get drunk for longer on less money! That's just wonderful. I'm so glad this is a thing.

No? I just makes the beer have a longer expiration time, and not smell so bad when left unattended for a night.

Boris Goodenough:

Scarecrow:

No? I just makes the beer have a longer expiration time, and not smell so bad when left unattended for a night.

So it lasts longer, so people can buy more and not worry about it going off, so they overall buy less over time. Really, the last thing Australia needs is more kinds of beer, or things to make beer better.

VanQ:

Grey Carter:

Shamanic Rhythm:

You didn't really just call VB a good Australian beer did you? VB is just the worst, James Squire is where it's at.

Scarecrow:

So it lasts longer, so people can buy more and not worry about it going off, so they overall buy less over time.

Maybe? Most beer gets drunk before expiration, at least that I know of.

Really, the last thing Australia needs is more kinds of beer, or things to make beer better.

You're worse than Hitler! (slight hyperbole).

This is irrelevant to my brewing needs. A good quality high strength beer with a focus on malt will age very well without this new barley while a good beer that has a focus on hops and therefore does not age well will not benefit at all because it should be drunk as soon as possible before the hop flavour mellows too much.

As the article states: this is a development to prolong the shelf life of mainstream flavourless "premium" (piss) lagers that have next to nothing in terms of malt, hops or flavour.

SpAc3man:

As the article states: this is a development to prolong the shelf life of mainstream flavourless "premium" (piss) lagers that have next to nothing in terms of malt, hops or flavour.

Heineken is in dire need of it.
Don't judge, it was a very good sale, which I have regretted ever since, also the second time because I thought it would be different.

Boris Goodenough:

Paradoxrifts:

Well if you drink goat's urine because you thought it was beer, I can understand why you don't like beer.

Beer is an acquired taste, as in people generally acquire it from their alcoholic parents. :P

Paradoxrifts:

Beer is an acquired taste, as in people generally acquire it from their alcoholic parents. :P

Then all my friends are children of alcoholics, time to revise the alcoholic statistics, speaking of which the guy in your avatar is a spitting image of the guy I drank beer with yesterday.

Boris Goodenough:

Paradoxrifts:

Then all my friends are children of alcoholics, time to revise the alcoholic statistics, speaking of which the guy in your avatar is a spitting image of the guy I drank beer with yesterday.

What definition of "alcoholism" are we talking about here? The one that is pushed by the preventative healthcare lobby wherein if you touch a glass of alcohol on consecutive days and you're a raging drunk, or the more widely accepted version that centers more on the type of people who destroy their livers by drinking themselves to sleep most every night?

And that's a picture of a young Aleister Crowley. He's been dead for almost sixty-five years.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here