Bethesda Teases Something Else

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Bethesda Teases Something Else

Another day, another vague tease from Bethesda - but this one has an interesting twist.

Bethesda churned up a lot of interest in its reveal of The Evil Within last month by tossing out some weird Vine videos in advance of the announcement without telling anyone what they were. It's a classic technique and it works; some gamers claim to find it annoying but it gets people talking and, more importantly, and paying attention. And so it is that Bethesda is at it again, this time with a few still images and an odd hash tag.

Earlier today, Bethesda Softworks tweeted a link to a three-part image and a mention of GameSpot, which over the course of the day revealed all three images in full, although none of them proved to be of much value in determining what Bethesda is up to. One is a very HAL-9000-ish glowing red eye; one appears to be some kind of futuristic fondue pot for dipping the souls of the damned; and the last is perhaps a rack of small, high-explosive rockets, the sort of thing you might see at the end of Megatron's backscratcher. All three are emblazoned with the mysterious hash tag #1960.

Very interestingly, Bethesda Softworks tweeted shortly after revealing the first image that "this morning's tease is not related to anything @BGS_Devs is working on." That's a reference to Bethesda Game Studios, the maker of The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games; Bethesda Softworks publishes them but also handles games by other studios including id Software, Human Head, Splash Damage, Obsidian and several others.

It seems clear to me that this is a build-up to a Prey 2 "re-announcement," but since I've been slightly off-base about this once before I'm willing to entertain suggestions that it might be something else. There's been a bit of talk here and there that it could be a new Wolfenstein game , and of course there's always the possibility that it's something entirely new. Bethesda hasn't dropped any hints as to when we'll find out, but when we know, you'll know.

Source: Twitter, GameSpot

My response is the same as that toward The Evil Within.

'I DON'T CARE. WHERE'S THE FALLOUT 4 INFO!?'

Obviously, a famous movie is about to get a game based off of it.

Whatever it is I'm sure it has nothing to do with the B3 bomber.

Jesus Christ, Bethesda really took Jim's pasta sauce video to heart. Not only are they releasing spicy and chunky, they're releasing garlic and onion, tangy, and mystery flavored.

erttheking:
Jesus Christ, Bethesda really took Jim's pasta sauce video to heart. Not only are they releasing spicy and chunky, they're releasing garlic and onion, tangy, and mystery flavored.

Its up to people like Bethesda to show us that developers still have a soul.

Also Bungie.

And Valve.

Why do I keep being reminded of Iron Man from these images?

At one time, Bethesda has the license to Terminator. I don't know if they still do.

The last movie was crap, but I think you could still make a good game out of the franchise...

I know this isn't it but I really, really, really want to see Bethesda do a big science fiction epic. I want the same attention to detail and world building with crazy playable aliens. In the mean time i'm sure it'll be something interesting.

IT'S PREY 2 DAMMIT

I pray to the powers that be that this is Fallo-

"this morning's tease is not related to anything @BGS_Devs is working on."

Dammit!

Come on Bethesda! I want my Fallout 4!

That's interesting Bethesda, now why don't you actually surprise me and make it functional on release without a huge patch that will inevitable break the game in 8 different interesting ways.

Kind of hoping it's for Prey 2 as well.
The first one is a fairly underrated rough cut gem and I've been wondering what happened to the sequel.

FALLOUT4FALLOUT4FALLOUT4FALLOUT4FALLOUT4FALLOUT4FALLOUT4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I REALLY want Fallout 4. Hopefully they take the cues of Skyrim and keep the Radiant quest system. A Fallout game I can play forever? YES PLEASE!

EDIT: I want to point out that their last reveal was REALLY disappointing. Leave the horror games to the indie devs please.

I thought they were going to tease a game that doesn't randomly crash.

Horror games are tough to do since not everyone is scared as easily or the same. Better off with something safe like Fallout 4.

On one hand I love me some quality science fiction, on the other I want to cry myself to sleep it's not fallout or a new Elder Scrolls. It will be a good game, but I am sooo dissapointed :(

Oddly, all I can think of is a revival of a Batman TAS villain, one who created robot duplicates of key important people in Gotham City.

"Oh holy fuck it's got to be Fallout 4 there's just no fucking way it's not Fallout 4"/sarcasm.

I'm hoping it's something new and interesting that isn't going to be something with a hype name attached to it and doesn't require a million patches to make the game stable.

Isn't Doom 4 also a possibility?

Nimzabaat:
I know this isn't it but I really, really, really want to see Bethesda do a big science fiction epic. I want the same attention to detail and world building with crazy playable aliens. In the mean time i'm sure it'll be something interesting.

^This, definitely. Something like Mass Effect meets Elder Scrolls...

Oh wait, that sounds like Destiny. Well we could always do with an not-always-online one for us plebs with crappy internet.

If it's Prey 2 then I'll be disappointed I'll admit. I'd rather see that game remain in dev hell or dropped entirely given it pretty much seems to have ditched the real protagonist Tommy. Heck seeing as they were gonna ditch him, they might as well just have given us the option to create our own protagonist instead. Would be more interesting than the blandy mcblanderson they've been showing so far.

That said if this is something else entirely then possibly yay.

Terminate421:

erttheking:

Also Bungie.

And Valve.

Valve hardly makes games these days. Great service in Steam, but they've only released five games in the last six years.

And Bungie hasn't released a game since ODST.

You should use better examples next time.

Edited- Forgot about Halo Reach. That was Bungie's last game...

Teases do nothing for me. When Bethesda has actual gameplay to show me then maybe I will give it a look.

saintdane05:
Obviously, a famous movie is about to get a game based off of it.

Oh God, please no. Don't make an action-packed game out of this movie.

Also, am I the only one who thought about the rear-end of the Batman car?

I hope it ISNT Prey 2.

I want something interesting! Hopefully it is a brand new IP.

Terminate421:

erttheking:

Also Bungie.

And Valve.

Bethesda is still a favourite punching bag of a lot of gamers, but they're one of the few bigger sized game developers catering to core gamers in a meaningful way. They make games that are rare or unique in the industry these days -- not many other game makers are producing massive, sprawling open world RPGs, even fewer doing them well, while stealth-based titles were all but dead -- and they've been pretty consumer friendly as of late.

They're by no means perfect, but when people trot out the "horse armour" complaint as their go-to jab at the company, something that happened like seven years ago and by the standards of today's DLC is actually very tame, you know they're not doing too bad.

Fallout 4: The rpg raping continues.

Calling it now.

[/quote]

FloodOne:

Terminate421:

erttheking:

Also Bungie.

And Valve.

Valve hardly makes games these days. Great service in Steam, but they've only released five games in the last six years.

And Bungie hasn't released a game since ODST.

You should use better examples next time.

Edited- Forgot about Halo Reach. That was Bungie's last game...

I think he might be talking about how impressive Bungie's new game is looking and how much they've always been involved with their community, they're really great guys at Bungie.

Since it's non-BGS I hope it's Fallout 4. Please Bethesda, let Obsidian do it.

...and it's Wolfenstein! Get your limericks ready. But hey at least it's a shooter where you kill nazi's instead of russians or middle eastern people for a change. I never though I would ever say that. >.>

FALLOUT 4 BY OBSIDIAN. PLEASE. LET IT BE SO.

Also, why is it that no one can tell the difference between Bethesda the publisher and Bethesda the game developer?

#1960?

I'm calling some sort of alt-reality cold war scene. Which would be bloody interesting.

Agree with the teasing thing. Pants in my face or nothing, Bethesda.

Andy Chalk:
IT'S PREY 2 DAMMIT

Reading the reveal story, I just got an image of you sat there, foaming at the mouth all twitchy.

WOLFENSTEIN!

Honestly, I'm probably in the minority about being excited about this, but honestly this looks like it has promise. Bethesda's backing and being created by a good chunk of the talent that made the original Darkness game, so if anything, I can be assured they're going to have atmosphere down right. And really, after the last Wolfenstein game developed by Raven(I think), it was obvious the series needed a shot in the arm.

Souls, horror, sci-fi and the fact that Silicon Knights is closing... I'm thinking (praying for) Eternal Darkness 2 or the original Too Human concept.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here